Options

10 years ago a hero changed my life, but I did not know it

AndGabAndGab Posts: 29
edited July 2013 in The Porch
10 years ago a hero changed my life, but I did not know it.

In the summer of 2000 a Swedish girl that I did not know decided to go the Roskilde Festival in Denmark. Several of her favourite bands were booked for the festival, The Cure, Live, Kent and her all time favourites; Pearl Jam. Even though she had lived and worked as a nanny in Boston a few years earlier and was living in Seattle at the time she had never had the opportunity to attend one of their shows. But in the summer 2000 she finally had both the money and the time to do so. She flew back to Sweden from Seattle and together with her younger sister and some friends they travelled by train down to Denmark and Roskilde. The first day was great and the second they she finally got to see them. They went to the venue that Pearl Jam was performing at early so they could stand in the front row. But the joyful atmosphere started to disappear more or less the minute that the band started to play because she could feel the pressure of thousands of peoples pushing her forward and that she had last control over her own body. The air started to disappear from her lungs and the space between her and the security fence were all gone.

She could see how other people were help over the fence, her sister was pushed over and she tried to give a hand, but she could not. And she could not move her self. But there was a guy standing behind her. Apparently he was quite tall and big and he did all he could to give here some space and room to breath. The security guards did not see her when she was standing there, but he made shore that they became aware of her distress and helped her to get over the fence. When the guards and the paramedics were taking her away from the chaos she could see that Eddie Vedder was crying on stage. She was one of the last girls that got over. And the guy who helped her did not. Nine people died that day.

Some years later she saw them again in Seattle at the two concerts that was rumoured to be the last ones. She cried all through both shows as the band talked about the tragedy. But it helped; it felt like a long group therapy session and her new fear and ill feeling about large crowds of people almost disappeared.

Then I met her, we feel in love, moved in together and got married. In 2007 Pearl Jam returned to Denmark and since we only live an hour away from Copenhagen and both are Pearl Jam fans we went to the show. It was emotional since Eddie Vedder was talking a lot about Roskilde and some family members to the guy’s that died were at the concert. When they played “Love Boat Captain” I stood behind my wife and leaned forward to hug her so I could put my hand on top off her belly. Because inside her our daughter was growing. I felt the tears in my eyes and I could see that my wife was crying, as most of the audience did, and I thought about that man standing behind my wife in Roskilde. How he tried to help her breath. How he protected her. How he, maybe, saved my love. Saved my future child. Changed my life...

My daughter is sitting next to my right now when I am writing this and I wish that she and I could talk to you and say thank you. I hope that you were not one of the nine that were lost. I seldom call people heroes, but if I have to choose one. I choose you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,937
    Very touching... :cry:
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    TrixieTrixie Posts: 179
    That is an incredibly moving story. I am so happy for you, your wife and your daughter. I still have tears in my eyes !! Obviously, all our collective hearts go out to those that weren't so lucky - especially those that succumbed after helping others to safety.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    you put tears in my eyes......enjoy your life and your family...this gift you have, just keep it safe..
    9 stars watching over us..you have your own..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    thank God
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I am going home to hug my kids...

Very special words and I hope your hero is hugging his kids too...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,937
    I am going home to hug my kids...

Very special words and I hope your hero is hugging his kids too...

+1
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    hinsey21hinsey21 Posts: 582
    beautiful post, thank you for sharing
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    I am in tears. What a touching tale.
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    Incredible story.

Thank you for the reminder of how lucky we all are.
  • Options
    Raineman311Raineman311 Posts: 124
    What an incredible story. This board has made me cry twice in a month.
  • Options
    mavimavi Posts: 941
    Thank you for sharing that beautiful story. May it serve us all as a reminder to appreciate life every single day.
    "He who hears music, feels his solitude peopled at once" R. Browning
  • Options
    Hail Hail to you brother.

Blessings to your family. And blessings to all those angels that were lost that day.
  • Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    amazing story, glad thing worked out well for you. hope you have a beautiful life, and enjoy your family
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    Wow....incredible story...thanks for sharing!!
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Wow. Touching. That event was a tragedy. I'm glad she was helped over and that you remember the one who helped her, who didn't make his way out. :(
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
    ... thanks for sharing your incredible story!!

best of everything to you, your sweet baby and your precious wife!

WOW!!

<3<3<3
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    That was very moving.

I'm in tears right now...I can't wait to go home and hug my wife and put my hand on her belly...where we have a little one growing right now too :)

I wish you, your wife, and your child the very best.
  • Options
    Stypo420Stypo420 Posts: 519
    Great now I'm tearing up in my cube...Great post thankyou for sharing.

May I also say you made a great choice.
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,051
    thank you for this gift of a story today
  • Options
    Wow.. Amazing tale, I've gotten a big lump in my throat reading this. Gonna give my two kids an extra big hug tonite! Hope everyone stays safe and enjoys the upcoming euro's. Look out for each other... But really I know you all will that's what true pearl jam fans do.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing this touching story.
    I`m sure if any of the band members read this they will be moved.
  • Options
    pj.uw.laurapj.uw.laura Posts: 553
    What an incredible first post!

There are certainly some special people out there, and it sounds like you, your wife, and this unknown man fall into that category. It is wonderful to hear when people appreciate the right things in life. As much as many of us may bitch about setlists or ticket prices, those things seem so small when you read something like this. My best to you and your whole family.
  • Options
    he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Best post I've ever read...tears are rolling down my face. Peace & Love
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    :cry:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    i just read it again...how life play her special games..amazing...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    i just read it again...how life play her special games..amazing...

So true!
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • Options
    pearljim10pearljim10 AZ Posts: 404
    great story. thank you for sharing. so many people are getting hugs tonight and they probably wont no why. best wishes to the op and his wife and child. sounds like a strong bond was formed and one that will never be broken.
    The plural of VINYL is VINYL. slh

1996 - Randalls Island 9/28 9/29, Buffalo 10/1
    1998 - Camden 8/28 8/29, East Rutherford 9/8, MSG 9/10, Hartford 9/13
    2000 - Letterman 4/12, Jones Beach 8/23 8/24 8/25, Saratoga Springs 8/27
    2003 - Long Island 4/30, Phoenix 6/7, MSG 7/8 7/9
    2006 - San Diego 7/7
    2009 - Philly IV 10/31
    2010 - MSG 5/20 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 Movie 9/23
    2012 - EV Phoenix 4/13
    2013 - Phoenix 11/19
    2016 - Telluride 7/10
    2018 - Boston/Fenway 9/4
    2019 - EV Tempe Innings Festival 3/3
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    thanks for that.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    I am in tears. What a touching tale.
    +1
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,481
    Wow, incredible story. I'm gald your wife was spared, condolences to the man's family who saved your wife. Hope your child is healthy and you and your family have a great life together. ;)
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2