Options

10 years ago a hero changed my life, but I did not know it

Comments

• Options
    AndGabAndGab Posts: 29
    Cheers Dimitri!
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,876
    OP: Wow. Your story hits home. I'm at a loss of words. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Wow, this is such a touching story.I'm sad I had never seen before.

It just shows you how one strangers act of kindness can have lasting effects on so many lives.
  • Options
    Just want to say thanks for all your nice comments and friendly words!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    this is the best story ever written in this forum...its a lesson what life is..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    2001ALLSTAREDDIE2001ALLSTAREDDIE NorCal Posts: 193
    thanks for the tender story. i imagine sharing it helps to better realize all that you have, and all that could have been lost.
    12/07/93 Seattle; 12/09/93 Seattle; 06/01/03 Mt.View; 10/05/04 St.Louis; 03/18/05 Seattle; 09/04/05 Calgary; 09/05/05 Edmonton; 07/15/06 SF; 07/18/06 SF; 04/05/08 Santa Cruz (EV); 07/12/08 LA; 10/01/09 LA; 07/11/11 Oakland (EV); 09/03/11 PJ20; 09/04/11 PJ20; 07/19/13 Wrigley; 11/19/13 Phoenix; 11/23/13 LA1; 11/26/13 Oakland; 10/3/14 St.Louis; 04/11/16 Tampa; 04/13/16 JAX; 8/5/16 & 8/7/16 Fenway
  • Options
    dimitrispearljam: That was a unbelievably kind compliment!

2001ALLSTAREDDIE: It does. I still remember the night when I wrote it. I was sitting on our balcony a warm night and my daughter was sleeping next to me. My wife was in Kenya for her work and I was missing her and thought about how much my life had changed since I met her. Then I heard "LBC" from the living room and my mind began to wonder.
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,777
    How am I just now reading this for the first time?

:(
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    It's incredible how someone's actions can totally alter the course of other lives halfway across the world just by being a good person and acting like a big brother.

I quit GA shows a long time ago. I'd rather be in the nosebleeds 500 feet away than five feet away from the stage in those awful seas of people.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    edited March 2013
    double post
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Colorado Posts: 1,375
    this is the best story ever written in this forum...its a lesson what life is..

I agree!! :)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.
  • Options
    menamena Posts: 53
    What a touching story. I hope the man who saved her is fine today.
    And that reads this one day and knows what he means to you and your family! :)
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    lovely story old son wishing you many many happy years :D:D:D
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,781
    I remember this thread, and it still resonates today. Thanks for bringing it back. It's a touching, chilling read.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    very moving story, thanks for sharing, never seen this, glad I finally did...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    I just read this for the first time today, and it brought me to tears.
    Thank you for sharing this very touching story with us-may you and your family live a long and happy life.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    Wow. I have I no words other than I am grateful to have read this amazingly touching story.
    Hugging my sweet babies right now. :(
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    words just dont work sometimes... this is one of those times

very inspiring
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    That is amazing.
    Truly there is a plan for you and your family.
    Make it the truth....
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    AndGab wrote:
    10 years ago a hero changed my life, but I did not know it.

In the summer of 2000 a Swedish girl that I did not know decided to go the Roskilde Festival in Denmark. Several of her favourite bands were booked for the festival, The Cure, Live, Kent and her all time favourites; Pearl Jam. Even though she had lived and worked as a nanny in Boston a few years earlier and was living in Seattle at the time she had never had the opportunity to attend one of their shows. But in the summer 2000 she finally had both the money and the time to do so. She flew back to Sweden from Seattle and together with her younger sister and some friends they travelled by train down to Denmark and Roskilde. The first day was great and the second they she finally got to see them. They went to the venue that Pearl Jam was performing at early so they could stand in the front row. But the joyful atmosphere started to disappear more or less the minute that the band started to play because she could feel the pressure of thousands of peoples pushing her forward and that she had last control over her own body. The air started to disappear from her lungs and the space between her and the security fence were all gone.

She could see how other people were help over the fence, her sister was pushed over and she tried to give a hand, but she could not. And she could not move her self. But there was a guy standing behind her. Apparently he was quite tall and big and he did all he could to give here some space and room to breath. The security guards did not see her when she was standing there, but he made shore that they became aware of her distress and helped her to get over the fence. When the guards and the paramedics were taking her away from the chaos she could see that Eddie Vedder was crying on stage. She was one of the last girls that got over. And the guy who helped her did not. Nine people died that day.

Some years later she saw them again in Seattle at the two concerts that was rumoured to be the last ones. She cried all through both shows as the band talked about the tragedy. But it helped; it felt like a long group therapy session and her new fear and ill feeling about large crowds of people almost disappeared.

Then I met her, we feel in love, moved in together and got married. In 2007 Pearl Jam returned to Denmark and since we only live an hour away from Copenhagen and both are Pearl Jam fans we went to the show. It was emotional since Eddie Vedder was talking a lot about Roskilde and some family members to the guy’s that died were at the concert. When they played “Love Boat Captain” I stood behind my wife and leaned forward to hug her so I could put my hand on top off her belly. Because inside her our daughter was growing. I felt the tears in my eyes and I could see that my wife was crying, as most of the audience did, and I thought about that man standing behind my wife in Roskilde. How he tried to help her breath. How he protected her. How he, maybe, saved my love. Saved my future child. Changed my life...

My daughter is sitting next to my right now when I am writing this and I wish that she and I could talk to you and say thank you. I hope that you were not one of the nine that were lost. I seldom call people heroes, but if I have to choose one. I choose you.

You only have less than a second to think. I was a shrimp in an angry pit also. Not as documented as yours.
    My friend fell to the ground and people threw chairs on her, many more trampled over her. Her leg was broken at that point, and I needed EMS. I screamed so LOUD, I looked directly at every musician on stage and I made a barrier around my friend. I was so angry :shock: everyone backed off. My friend was in a cast for a few months. I won't go to the front if I'm not ready to fight. People can be so selfish..

I'm so sad for you.

I read this again. I have almost lost myself at a few shows. I OWE my life to many nice guys that understood me, and lifted me up and made sure I made it out okay. I hate crowd surfing. But I always end up in a bouncer's arms. This is so sad... I almost died at a Marilyn Manson show, I had no air and I was passing out. No one would have noticed. I kept crowd surfing. This happens at so many shows. I only want seats.
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    AndGab wrote:

In the summer of 2000 a Swedish girl that I did not know decided to go the Roskilde Festival in Denmark. Several of her favourite bands were booked for the festival, The Cure, Live, Kent and her all time favourites; Pearl Jam. Even though she had lived and worked as a nanny in Boston a few years earlier and was living in Seattle at the time she had never had the opportunity to attend one of their shows. But in the summer 2000 she finally had both the money and the time to do so. She flew back to Sweden from Seattle and together with her younger sister and some friends they travelled by train down to Denmark and Roskilde. The first day was great and the second they she finally got to see them. They went to the venue that Pearl Jam was performing at early so they could stand in the front row. But the joyful atmosphere started to disappear more or less the minute that the band started to play because she could feel the pressure of thousands of peoples pushing her forward and that she had last control over her own body. The air started to disappear from her lungs and the space between her and the security fence were all gone.

She could see how other people were help over the fence, her sister was pushed over and she tried to give a hand, but she could not. And she could not move her self. But there was a guy standing behind her. Apparently he was quite tall and big and he did all he could to give here some space and room to breath. The security guards did not see her when she was standing there, but he made shore that they became aware of her distress and helped her to get over the fence. When the guards and the paramedics were taking her away from the chaos she could see that Eddie Vedder was crying on stage. She was one of the last girls that got over. And the guy who helped her did not. Nine people died that day.

Some years later she saw them again in Seattle at the two concerts that was rumoured to be the last ones. She cried all through both shows as the band talked about the tragedy. But it helped; it felt like a long group therapy session and her new fear and ill feeling about large crowds of people almost disappeared.

Then I met her, we feel in love, moved in together and got married. In 2007 Pearl Jam returned to Denmark and since we only live an hour away from Copenhagen and both are Pearl Jam fans we went to the show. It was emotional since Eddie Vedder was talking a lot about Roskilde and some family members to the guy’s that died were at the concert. When they played “Love Boat Captain” I stood behind my wife and leaned forward to hug her so I could put my hand on top off her belly. Because inside her our daughter was growing. I felt the tears in my eyes and I could see that my wife was crying, as most of the audience did, and I thought about that man standing behind my wife in Roskilde. How he tried to help her breath. How he protected her. How he, maybe, saved my love. Saved my future child. Changed my life...

My daughter is sitting next to my right now when I am writing this and I wish that she and I could talk to you and say thank you. I hope that you were not one of the nine that were lost. I seldom call people heroes, but if I have to choose one. I choose you.

You need to publish this!
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Wow...beautiful and tragic but ultimately hopeful. Very much like the band that brought you together.

Thank you for sharing.
  • Options
    looloolooloolooloo Posts: 378
    Sigh. Reading this post for the first time. It's amazing what tragedy and chaos can reveal. Superheroes in our midst...thank you for sharing. I wonder what greatness your little one will accomplish? We should all be so lucky to find out.

Peace, love and soul-
    "Sun sets on this ocean- never once on my devotion."

"If I had this guy's voice, you could all kiss my ass."
  • Options
    Very nice story, very touching. I was at that 1st return show in Copenhagen, 6-26-07. I waited out early and ended up in the "2nd row" behind the rail between in front of Jeff in the packed GA pit. It was an incredibly moving emotional show. The pit was insane their too and way too crowded and tense ironically. There were tons of wasted lunatics shoving an knifing (so to speak) their way to the front. I sort of shielded a Danish girl I befriended during the hours of wait/build-up time to the show. At one point I was so packed in the heat and sweatiness and was gettin murdered by this one drunk asshole who kept fighting me to get closer. I suddenly started to feel woozy and was about to pass out. I had been in rough pits at London and Dusseldorf earlier that tour, but this was by far much worse. And for those of you who were at the Forum the last time around last year can attest, the place becomes an absolute sauna, sweat-box. I was standing on my tippy-toes sucking air like a fish to try to cool down, and luckily came too before fainting. I got to chat Ed and Mike down after the show and they were so drained and spent. They said it was so super emotional meeting with all of the victims' families after the show. Ed gave me and a few others hugs after we told him that he really put on a respectful show that night. There were people passing out around me that night too that needed to go over the rail for bouncer assistance. It's one thing to have fun and move with a pit, it's another thing when safety suddenly becomes an issue. It was a night I'll never forget. Nice to hear your tale and share in that memory. Can't ever beat a good love story.
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    AndGab wrote:

Wow. Thank you for sharing.
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,865
    Lovely post, and the guy who helped your wife probably does these things automatically - good natured people do that without thinking.....but his actions probably saved a life and that should be applauded and championed.
  • Options
    Very nice story, very touching. I was at that 1st return show in Copenhagen, 6-26-07. I waited out early and ended up in the "2nd row" behind the rail between in front of Jeff in the packed GA pit. It was an incredibly moving emotional show. The pit was insane their too and way too crowded and tense ironically. There were tons of wasted lunatics shoving an knifing (so to speak) their way to the front. I sort of shielded a Danish girl I befriended during the hours of wait/build-up time to the show. At one point I was so packed in the heat and sweatiness and was gettin murdered by this one drunk asshole who kept fighting me to get closer. I suddenly started to feel woozy and was about to pass out. I had been in rough pits at London and Dusseldorf earlier that tour, but this was by far much worse. And for those of you who were at the Forum the last time around last year can attest, the place becomes an absolute sauna, sweat-box. I was standing on my tippy-toes sucking air like a fish to try to cool down, and luckily came too before fainting. I got to chat Ed and Mike down after the show and they were so drained and spent. They said it was so super emotional meeting with all of the victims' families after the show. Ed gave me and a few others hugs after we told him that he really put on a respectful show that night. There were people passing out around me that night too that needed to go over the rail for bouncer assistance. It's one thing to have fun and move with a pit, it's another thing when safety suddenly becomes an issue. It was a night I'll never forget. Nice to hear your tale and share in that memory. Can't ever beat a good love story.

I agree. I have a love/hate relationship with Forum in Copenhagen. It's a really great venue because you can get really close to the band and it feels intimate. But it gets really warm. I saw people fainting at the PJ concert this summer. And some idiot kicked me in my back couse he thought I was in his way when he tried to push his way to the front. Neil Young gone play at Forum this summer and I really wish I could be there but I'm going to be in the southern hemisphere :)

And you know....love is all you need! :)
  • Options
    STAYSEA wrote:
    AndGab wrote:

I

You need to publish this!

I think the audience for my little "story" is right here in this forum :)

But thanks!
  • Options
    papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    As others have said, i just saw this. Grateful that posts like these are kept "alive" for some who have joined later.

Thank you so much for sharing your family's story. It's an incredible, awesome thing to see goodness and love in the midst of tragedy and loss.
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • Options
    STAYSEA wrote:
    AndGab wrote:

You only have less than a second to think. I was a shrimp in an angry pit also. Not as documented as yours.
    My friend fell to the ground and people threw chairs on her, many more trampled over her. Her leg was broken at that point, and I needed EMS. I screamed so LOUD, I looked directly at every musician on stage and I made a barrier around my friend. I was so angry :shock: everyone backed off. My friend was in a cast for a few months. I won't go to the front if I'm not ready to fight. People can be so selfish..

I'm so sad for you.

I read this again. I have almost lost myself at a few shows. I OWE my life to many nice guys that understood me, and lifted me up and made sure I made it out okay. I hate crowd surfing. But I always end up in a bouncer's arms. This is so sad... I almost died at a Marilyn Manson show, I had no air and I was passing out. No one would have noticed. I kept crowd surfing. This happens at so many shows. I only want seats.

Wow, that's just horrible.

So maybe we should be glad that the PJ audience are getting older :)

But I most say that I love the camaraderie I've experienced at PJ shows. People talking, drinking, helping out with water and support. Just love it.
    I'm still in touch with a few danes I met at the concert this summer. And in Copenhagen I hade a few beers with some fellows from France and Berlgium that I met at the Berlin concert.