Missoula Poster

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited August 2018
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I like the poster and I want one.  Doesn’t bother me a bit.  I do wonder how tester’s camp must be feeling about the whole thing though.  It’s obvious from Jeff’s quote that he had a bunch of ideas he gave to the artist who drew it up and “killed it” as Jeff said, but I don’t think Jeff or Tester knew what the print would look like until the rough draft got sent to Jeff.  I wonder if Tester ever saw it at all?  As far as politicians go, any publicity is probably good, but I bet they’re a bit shaken?
    I have been looking for a comment by Tester or his campaign but haven’t found one yet. Can’t wait to see what eventually comes out. Politically, probably the safest thing for him to say is something along the lines of “while I don’t agree with the imagery, I fully support their right to express their artistic vision and political views blah blah blah..”, but it would be fantastic if he actually comes out in support of it. 
    Yeah- they have to tread lightly thoughI’m sure seeing as Montana is a seriously red state.  He’s likely to see repercussions if he outright agrees with it or something like that.  I bet if he at all makes a statement it’ll be like what you said.
    It can't be that seriously red. John Tester keeps beating the Republicans in the Senate race.
    Google it.  
    I don't need to. All I am saying is that a REALLY red state probably wouldn't have a multi-term Democratic State Senator.
    Or the Senator isn't the deepest shade of blue
    Well he isn't - I've read his platform, and it works for the people of Montana, wink. But he's still a Democrat, and super red states don't keep reelecting democrats, do they? If they do, then I figure that's not a super red state. It's purple.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    ME10280 said:

I know it's not a wish.  I know they love the country & it's the politics the artists are against.  I, personally, just don't like images of our monuments burning.  Nothing more.  Nothing less. 

I wouldn't live anywhere else.  Freedom of speech rules!!! 

But isn't the message of the poster that Trump is burning down the White House because of his own actions?
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,474
    The MAGA trolls on facebook.  Lol.   
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I like the poster and I want one.  Doesn’t bother me a bit.  I do wonder how tester’s camp must be feeling about the whole thing though.  It’s obvious from Jeff’s quote that he had a bunch of ideas he gave to the artist who drew it up and “killed it” as Jeff said, but I don’t think Jeff or Tester knew what the print would look like until the rough draft got sent to Jeff.  I wonder if Tester ever saw it at all?  As far as politicians go, any publicity is probably good, but I bet they’re a bit shaken?
    I have been looking for a comment by Tester or his campaign but haven’t found one yet. Can’t wait to see what eventually comes out. Politically, probably the safest thing for him to say is something along the lines of “while I don’t agree with the imagery, I fully support their right to express their artistic vision and political views blah blah blah..”, but it would be fantastic if he actually comes out in support of it. 
    Yeah- they have to tread lightly thoughI’m sure seeing as Montana is a seriously red state.  He’s likely to see repercussions if he outright agrees with it or something like that.  I bet if he at all makes a statement it’ll be like what you said.
    It can't be that seriously red. John Tester keeps beating the Republicans in the Senate race.
    Google it.  
    I don't need to. All I am saying is that a REALLY red state probably wouldn't have a multi-term Democratic State Senator.

Tester obviously had nothing to do with that poster, so I figure that is all the guy has to say, and all he could possibly say.... Unless he has some good words to pass on to the citizens of Montana about art and artistic perspectives I guess.
    You probably should before you comment then;

Montana is a red state and has voted conservatively, and thus Republican, in the presidential race for every race since 1968, with the exception of 1992. Even so, there are pockets of Democrats within the state that will make you feel right at home, if you are indeed a Democrat.

I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    ME10280ME10280 Posts: 34
    PJ_Soul said:
    mbowers said:
    ME10280 said:

I know it's not a wish.  I know they love the country & it's the politics the artists are against.  I, personally, just don't like images of our monuments burning.  Nothing more.  Nothing less. 

So was Independence Day the scariest horror movie of your life?
    :lol: That made me lol.

That was actually really funny.  I'm just saying, my opinion is that it's in bad taste.  But as they say about opinions, they're like assholes.  Everyone has one & they all stink. 

My feathers aren't ruffled.  Don't read too deeply into it.  It's just my 2 cents.

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Google it.  
    Or the Senator isn't the deepest shade of blue
    Well he isn't - I've read his platform, and it works for the people of Montana, wink. But he's still a Democrat, and super red states don't keep reelecting democrats, do they? If they do, then I figure that's not a super red state. It's purple.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Trump was not even mentioned by Jeff on the back/initial sketch - it was the artist who added the President 

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Trump was not even mentioned by Jeff on the back/initial sketch - it was the artist who added the President 

Where'd you find this?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Google it.  

Tester obviously had nothing to do with that poster, so I figure that is all the guy has to say, and all he could possibly say.... Unless he has some good words to pass on to the citizens of Montana about art and artistic perspectives I guess.
    You probably should before you comment then;

Montana is a red state and has voted conservatively, and thus Republican, in the presidential race for every race since 1968, with the exception of 1992. Even so, there are pockets of Democrats within the state that will make you feel right at home, if you are indeed a Democrat.

Dude. I'm obviously not talking about the presidential race. Just take what I said at face value. Montana couldn't be THAT red if they keep electing a democratic state senator. I have said no more and no less than that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Online/Twitter- it’s the back of the poster 
  • Options
    ItIsAllAboutPJItIsAllAboutPJ S.B., CA Posts: 829
    edited August 2018
    I wanted this poster the moment I saw it, the message is so poignant and it's really cool looking + Jeff's contribution.
    I was hoping to be able to pick one up but now that it's blown up, I'm afraid it will be a white whale unless I want to drop a bundle. :(
    For those who were lucky enough to get one at the show... congrats!!  
    Post edited by ItIsAllAboutPJ on
  • Options

and no fire. It looks like only in the background or it's smoke like a smoke signal Vote. The interpretations of this thing are endless. I guess it's all in how you want to look at it. 
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    Bad time to mention that Canada/Britain actually burned down the White House in 1812? 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_Washington

Keeping things in perspective, this just an artist's rendering of what Trump is doing to America. It is a criticism of him, not of the country or its people. It is not advocating any violence (as has been reported by some right leaning "news" agencies), in fact it is doing the opposite...it is encouraging the people to take back their country by exercising their right to vote on November!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    eddiec said:
    ME10280 said:

But isn't the message of the poster that Trump is burning down the White House because of his own actions?
    & then died reaching for his Russian money. 

Thats how I interpret it. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756

and no fire. It looks like only in the background or it's smoke like a smoke signal Vote. The interpretations of this thing are endless. I guess it's all in how you want to look at it. 
    There is definitely fire in that print.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    PJNB said:

There is definitely fire in that print.
    Lol, yeah, there are great big flames reaching like 10 stories into the sky. Looks like all of Washington was meant to be burning.
  • Options
    kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    RP112579 said:
    Quote from Jeff in the Rolling Stone article:
    K
    “The role of artists is to make people think and feel, and the current administration has us thinking and feeling,” Ament tells Rolling Stone. “I was the sole conceptualist of this poster, and I welcome all interpretations and discourse.  Love, from the First Amendment, Jeff Ament.”
    Perfect!
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629
    mwplum said:
    Bad time to mention that Canada/Britain actually burned down the White House in 1812? 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_Washington

Keeping things in perspective, this just an artist's rendering of what Trump is doing to America. It is a criticism of him, not of the country or its people. It is not advocating any violence (as has been reported by some right leaning "news" agencies), in fact it is doing the opposite...it is encouraging the people to take back their country by exercising their right to vote on November!
    trump brought that recently trying to do his rooster strut around Trudeau. 
  • Options
    kenkkenk Posts: 210
    I wanted this poster the moment I saw it, the message is so poignant and it's really cool looking + Jeff's contribution.
    I was hoping to be able to pick one up but now that it's blown up, I'm afraid it will be a white whale unless I want to drop a bundle. :(
    These are selling for over $500 now. They were going for $90 on ebay yesterday lol. They'll come back down to earth after the craze wears off. Nobody wanted it until it hit the news. Plus who knows, maybe a few will hit the store when they stock the leftovers. I really want one as well and am kicking myself for not buying it for under $100 when i had the chance yesterday. Figured i could just grab one down the road and not spend the $$ now. Oh well.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,433
    Is Trump actually supposed to be dead on the poster? It looks like his head is up and he’s trying to crawl away. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    awesome poster.  
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,767
    The same outfit that still allows Sirius XM Fly to play R Kelly? Or Pop2K to play Chris Brown? So on and so forth...

Go ahead fuckers...go right the fuck ahead.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited August 2018
    on2legs said:
    Is Trump actually supposed to be dead on the poster? It looks like his head is up and he’s trying to crawl away. 
    No. 

It's not a vulture trying to find some lean muscle tissue... it's an eagle- symbolic of America- not letting him run off after the damage he's done.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629
    on2legs said:
    That’s why I was saying he’s an undead zombie, but still going after the Russian  cash. 
  • Options
    kenk said:
    These are selling for over $500 now. They were going for $90 on ebay yesterday lol. They'll come back down to earth after the craze wears off. Nobody wanted it until it hit the news. Plus who knows, maybe a few will hit the store when they stock the leftovers. I really want one as well and am kicking myself for not buying it for under $100 when i had the chance yesterday. Figured i could just grab one down the road and not spend the $$ now. Oh well.
    Yep.  I actually had one last night for $89 and backed out on the thought that i was being an idiot.  Figures.  Oh well, you win some and you lose some.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,433
    Interesting that Tester disavowed the poster. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    No. 

It's not a vulture trying to find some lean muscle tissue... it's an eagle- symbolic of America- not letting him run off after the damage he's done.
    Never mind.

I checked the image out closer. He's a dead guy in some way. That would also explain the dramatic weight loss.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    I'm telling ya folks, variant will have Nutsack Vulture pecking away at the body.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    I'm telling ya folks, variant will have Nutsack Vulture pecking away at the body.
    I’m going to be at wrigley with my homemade nutsack vulture sweatshirt on.  Hope it gets a laugh or two.
  • Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    Found this in the article from the AP and here's the link: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/republicans-blast-pearl-jam-poster-burning-white-house-163608901.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Tester officials said the campaign had nothing to do with the poster.

"We never saw the poster before the show and we don't like it," Tester spokesman Chris Meagher said. "And we don't condone violence of any kind."

Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016