CAN'T DENY ME!!!

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    They don't have the greatest track record since at least 2006 when choosing their first single on an album.
    was that wws?  
    WWS, Got Some/The Fixer, Lightning Bolt...none of these are the best songs on their album IMO.
    MYM was the first single was it not? Also Lightning Bolt could very well be the best song on their last album for some. That song has really grown on me live even though I think they play that and MYM way too often still.
    You're right, it was MYM. My bad. And I do like both MYM and LB live and don't hate either studio version. My point is only that there were better songs coming and it would have been premature to judge the album based on the first single.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    my2hands said:
    I have no idea why so many people don't like it... I love it

To me it's a fresh sound for the band, and after the last 2 formulaic albums we needed something new... 

I don't know either, robably for the same reason most fans say that BS and LB are shitty albums
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    If they wrote Black today people would hate it. If they wrote Sirens 25 years ago people would love it. I firmly believe this to be true.

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    If they wrote Black today people would hate it. If they wrote Sirens 25 years ago people would love it. I firmly believe this to be true.
    I agree, I like them both, but not crazy about them...

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    JimmyV said:

Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285
    Black is one of my bathroom break songs
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    JimmyV said:
    I firmly believe neither of those things to be true, but the second statement is more possible than the first. There is no way people would hate Black if it came out now IMO. 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    They don't have the greatest track record since at least 2006 when choosing their first single on an album.
    was that wws?  
    WWS, Got Some/The Fixer, Lightning Bolt...none of these are the best songs on their album IMO.
    MYM was the first single was it not? Also Lightning Bolt could very well be the best song on their last album for some. That song has really grown on me live even though I think they play that and MYM way too often still.
    You're right, it was MYM. My bad. And I do like both MYM and LB live and don't hate either studio version. My point is only that there were better songs coming and it would have been premature to judge the album based on the first single.
    Agreed. I think singles get treated unfairly too since they are usually out before anything else and get dissected with out anything else to listen to. If this song was available with the whole album I bet more people would like it or at least not hate it so strongly. 
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    was that wws?  
    I didn't like I Am Mine at first and it was the first single off Riot Act.  It's grown on me over the years.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    was that wws?  
    LB is my favorite song on that album.
    That being said....I still don't really like it.
  • Options
    mr bungle said:
    black was my restroom break in my first PJ show, I told my friend "dont care much about black, gonna take a leak"

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    JimmyV said:
    I firmly believe neither of those things to be true, but the second statement is more possible than the first. There is no way people would hate Black if it came out now IMO.  
    after all this years I think the turu rutu tururu of the end is quite cheesy, and I feel that way since day one, I like black but not my cup of tea, and ten is one of my least fav albums

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    JimmyV said:
    after all this years I think the turu rutu tururu of the end is quite cheesy, and I feel that way since day one, I like black but not my cup of tea, and ten is one of my least fav albums
    I love Black but the "turu rutu tururu" would cause people to lose their minds if it was released today.

• Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    So after about 5 listens it’s definitely growing on me. After first listen, I didn’t like it at all. Seemed very disjointed and Ed’s voice didn’t sound great. Really didn’t like the live version either. But like others have said, I think that’s probably the sound he was going for and the emotion he felt when writing it and singing it. I kind of like the rawness of it now. Definitely has an old school punk vibe to it.  Not a fan of the cowbell at all, but I like that they are still changing things up and doing what inspires them or what they enjoy.  Would I have listened to it a second time if it wasn’t Pj? Probably not. Glad I did though and maybe it will continue to grow on me. 
  • Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    was that wws?  
    Agreed. I think singles get treated unfairly too since they are usually out before anything else and get dissected with out anything else to listen to. If this song was available with the whole album I bet more people would like it or at least not hate it so strongly. 
    You have to look at what a single is especially the first one off a new record. A band like them doesn’t have to put their best foot forward when releasing a new song to get the exposure they want by the public or from radio. 

Is this the best song they have ever done? Not at all but it serves a purpose for a band that hasn’t had new music in 5 years. 

Wait for the record before judging one song from it. 

Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,678
    The song is making a point. Play it loud and it has a different vibe. It’s no sleeping by myself
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    JP218404 said:
    Wait for the record before judging one song from it.
    I wait for the record to judge the record, it's right.
    But I can of course already say this one song is very weak (for me), both musically and lyrically. Also, Ed doesn't have to write political or "protest" songs, if he isn't inspired enough to do so (and he clearly wasn't in this song).
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,406
    it's a good song
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,288
    igotid88 said:
    it's a good song
    They're capable of so much more.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,288

mr bungle said:
    You're a bathroom break song.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,934

mr bungle said:
    Made me lol
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285

mr bungle said:
    No, you are
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,850
    Info from the Flac download ..

Engineers: John Burton, Josh Evans, Kyle Stevens, Tom Syrowski, Neil Hundt, George Webb III
    Mixer: Brendan O'Brien
    Producer: Pearl Jam, Brendan O'Brien

• Options
    ToHellURideToHellURide Posts: 145
    Wonder if analog members will receive 7" and if there will be a B side 
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    Yes and yes.
    When and what b-side is unknown.
  • Options
    Yes and yes.
    When and what b-side is unknown.
    Hope it's an original song, new INE, not a cocer, ir Red Mosquito from Buenos Aires 2015, including Ed's speech...

• Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,678
    The B side is called “all people do is complain “
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,406
    igotid88 said:
    it's a good song
    They're capable of so much more.
    and people will have a problem with that too
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    I have no idea why so many people don't like it... I love it

To me it's a fresh sound for the band, and after the last 2 formulaic albums we needed something new... 

It's just not a good song.  I have five friends that have been following the band since 92 and have been to around 50 shows and not one of them like this song.  
     it’s the classic response to PJ.  You have people saying it’s great and they love it because they feel like they have to as PJ fans, others who actually DO like it, and others who don’t.  Like someone else said, if this was a song by a different artist/band, I don’t think I would listen to it.  I try to imagine it on another band’s album and it’s an easy skip for me on their cd.  I have no problem admitting I don’t like it at all and that I’m a bit bummed it’s going to be a track on the upcoming album because I’d rather that slot be saved for a better song!
    I liked it right away.  Not just because its PJ.  There are plenty of songs I don't care for...I don't think I've purposely listened to Jeremy in 20 years :smirk: .  To me its right in my wheelhouse.  Raw, punky, different.  I love songs like this.  And also Of The Earth (probably my favorite song in YEARS.  I hope for more experimental stuff along with some garage type rock stuff on new album.  I don't care for the Future Days, Betterman, Sirens, type PJ songs much at all.  Can't Deny Me has been stuck in my head since the first listen.  I don't need another 90's PJ album.  I like the way they have progressed and keep making what THEY want.  Some really great songs have come out of it (MYM, Pendulum, Got Some, Getaway, etc)
    I'm down with this post.  Spot on. 

This shit is badass
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    The B side is called “all people do is complain “
    I think it'll be called either "That's All That's In The Newsletter?" or "What about the contest?" 
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center