Options

CAN'T DENY ME!!!

Comments

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    Its interesting because sometimes I read the comments and think are you hearing the same thing as me but I guess its quite subjective. I dont think its brilliant or terrible just okay I guess. Theres nothing in it that makes me think "oh that
    bits good" and I know its experimental in ways but it just sounds a bit all over the place. Not a fan of the production either, Im no expert but the whole thing was just a bit underwhelming for the lead track from the first album in 5 years.
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,686
    It’s just a song, not the cure for cancer. I like it.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,424
    FR181798 said:
    Its interesting because sometimes I read the comments and think are you hearing the same thing as me but I guess its quite subjective. I dont think its brilliant or terrible just okay I guess. Theres nothing in it that makes me think "oh that
    bits good" and I know its experimental in ways but it just sounds a bit all over the place. Not a fan of the production either, Im no expert but the whole thing was just a bit underwhelming for the lead track from the first album in 5 years.
    i can say the same thing also. But the opposite. It's a good song. Gets you going. Catchy.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,396
    Gets even better every day 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    This is a funny thread.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136

Pearl Jam's new track from their forthcoming album on Monkeywrench/Republic Records is out now!

“Can’t Deny Me” was co-produced by Pearl Jam and Brendan O'Brien. The track was recorded in Seattle last month and released as a surprise early download to Ten Club members last Saturday.

Eddie wrote the song's lyrics set to music written by Mike. Jeff created the single's artwork in collaboration with PJ's longtime Videographer, Kevin Shuss.

“Can’t Deny Me” is available now in the SHOP and via all digital download and streaming services

Pearl Jam kicks off their TOUR of South America in Santiago, Chile today.

Nothing about being the first single, only the "xmas single" and that is from the forthcoming album...

... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,312
    I agree with whoever said, I can see why people would love it and see why people would hate it.  I can hear both sides.  I will say I would like to hear it live for myself this summer.
    For some reason it reminded me of Weezer's Hash Pipe.  Anyone else hear that?

There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    nice try, but i don't think i like it
  • Options
    adamg5adamg5 Posts: 774
    This is a funny thread.
    Funny how?  Like we are clowns?  Here to amuse you? We are here to make you laugh?
    What do you mean funny, funny how? Are we funny?
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Listened to it many times for the hell of it. I would never have given this song a second chance if it was by any other band.

I still think it sucks. It's not interesting musically or lyrically and Ed's vocal performance is actually irritating. Here is some conjecture; most of you who like this song wouldn't like it if it was by another band. Most of you who like this song only like it because it's "anti-Trump" (I guess) and that excites you.
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,286
    edited March 2018
    adamg5 said:
    This is a funny thread.
    Funny how?  Like we are clowns?  Here to amuse you? We are here to make you laugh?
    What do you mean funny, funny how? Are we funny?

go get your shine box!
  • Options
    october22 said:
    Listened to it many times for the hell of it. I would never have given this song a second chance if it was by any other band.

I still think it sucks. It's not interesting musically or lyrically and Ed's vocal performance is actually irritating. Here is some conjecture; most of you who like this song wouldn't like it if it was by another band. Most of you who like this song only like it because it's "anti-Trump" (I guess) and that excites you.
    But it isn’t another band. Doesn’t make sense to say this. I wouldn’t listen to probably all of their catalog if it were another band doing it.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    TripleBTripleB Posts: 65
    Could this be the most polarising PJ lead single ever!? They’ve release a few singles that certainly got people talking, good and bad, ...Who You Are, Nothing as it Seems, The Fixer, WWS.

I hope this wasn’t a rushed release? However I’ve got great faith in this band and the decisions they make. They just don’t always make the decisions we expect.

For what it’s worth I dont mind to the song but it may work better as a cohesive whole with other songs in an album. I wonder what track number it’ll be? I’m hoping it’s not track one. Probably two or three!? 
    I'm hoping CDM will be near the late part of the album.  Track #10 of 13 (hoping it's a 13-song album)  I do like it after listening several times, but it's not the type of song that could be ranked amongst their best.  It's like Rival was to Binaural, or Habit was to No Code.  I hope I don't catch Hell for that.
  • Options
    Can’t Deny Me > Of the Earth 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    adamg5adamg5 Posts: 774
    I couldn’t care less about this song being anti trump.

It’s a killer tune.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Could this be the most polarising PJ lead single ever!? They’ve release a few singles that certainly got people talking, good and bad, ...Who You Are, Nothing as it Seems, The Fixer, WWS.

I hope this wasn’t a rushed release? However I’ve got great faith in this band and the decisions they make. They just don’t always make the decisions we expect.

For what it’s worth I dont mind to the song but it may work better as a cohesive whole with other songs in an album. I wonder what track number it’ll be? I’m hoping it’s not track one. Probably two or three!? 
    they lost a LOT of fans when they put out Who You Are. it confused them. including me. I dropped off a while becuase I didn't appreciate No Code at the time. I think that might be the one. 
    Haha, you were not alone! I agree that No Code was probably the most polarizing. It is hard to think of it that way now, years later. Especially since the fans that are here are the fans who got it. That was the first PJ album that didn't go multi-platinum. It was a mixed bag with the critical reviews, too. Plenty of fans bailed. I bailed on PJ, because I thought they bailed on me. No Code wasn't what I was looking for at the time, and there was a lot of really great music coming out of Seattle. Mostly smaller bands playing clubs around town. So I bailed and chased what interested me more. Screaming Trees - Dust kicked No Code's ass that year on my CD player. A couple of years later, I returned to the PJ fold and revisited No Code and discovered an amazing album full of interesting experiments, and great songs. But at the time? Nope, it wasn't for me. I still went to shows. I still bought their albums, but it wasn't the band or sound I was interested in.  People change. Bands and music change.

And I know I mentioned in a thread right when Can't Deny Me came out that I liked it, and after many, many listens I still do! I like the rawness, I like the energy. It has a little DIY, punk sound that keeps me coming back for more. I'll take this over runny cheese like Future Days every time.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    I liked it when I first heard it and thought while listening on an iPhone Cornell started singing in the song, but clearly after listening on a nice stereo it’s just Ed’s voice and its raw....I dug it at first and now after several times listening I really dig it....it’s raw as fuck!
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    october22 said:

Oh
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    october22 said:

Nah, that’s bullshit I think. I mean that might be some people, but not me. I do hate Trump but I don’t really think these lyrics really “stick it to him” the way some of Eddie’s Bush-era lyrics did. 

First of of all I really like the off timey feel that the drums/guitar have in the verses, I know it’s not actually off time, it’s in 4/4, but it has that feeling where the notes just aren’t quite where you would anticipate them to be, something that Matt did a lot with Soundgarden’s common time songs. I think the riff in the verse is badass too. I think the chorus, although not the most original, is really catchy and I can’t get it out of my head. 

My only real complaint is the melody in the verses, it just doesn’t really flow right with the music, and Eddie’s vocals seem a little too strained, but I liked it much much better live, like he wasn’t trying so hard. 
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    TripleB said:
    I can't open it on my laptop or my iPhone.  Can anyone please give me any suggestions.  Thank you.
    Me either, downloaded to file that won't open. 
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    so I still can't open my download, but i've heard it on radio and Youtube.  Not thrilled with it, but often times songs take me a while.  My favorite part is at the end, one time when Ed says you can't deny me, reminds me of his Bugs voice.  To me anyway:)  

I will say, it's nice to hear new music from the band, period.  
  • Options
    so I still can't open my download, but i've heard it on radio and Youtube.  Not thrilled with it, but often times songs take me a while.  My favorite part is at the end, one time when Ed says you can't deny me, reminds me of his Bugs voice.  To me anyway:)  

I will say, it's nice to hear new music from the band, period.  
    you could stream from deezer, spotify, etc, there it's available in full for streaming

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    october22 said:

But it isn’t another band. Doesn’t make sense to say this. I wouldn’t listen to probably all of their catalog if it were another band doing it.

Completely agree. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,805
    edited March 2018
    Heard it again tonight at the festival tonight and it could catch on I think. Maybe. I do not think they should play it every night though just as I thought they shouldn't have played MYM every night. It will lose its edge if they do. Played back to back nights though so far make me think they are going in that direction unfortunately.  
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Heard it again tonight at the festival tonight and it could catch on I think. Maybe. I do not think they should play it every night though just as I thought they shouldn't have played MYM every night. It will lose its edge if they do. Played back to back nights though so far make me think they are going in that direction unfortunately.  
    truth, but come one, it's the second time, and I bet they will play it in Buenos Aires, Rio and Sao Paulo, that's no brainer...

By the way, eu falo Portugues tambem...

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    I heard it on sirius tonight as I was driving and it sounded good turned up loud. I already like this more than I ever liked MYM
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    jordan kjordan k Posts: 196
    I dig it, its fiery, there's anger there, feels a little punk. For a band of essential older dudes, I am surprised to hear this kind of passion still. Live is where it will truly sink or swim with me.
    Key Arena - Nov 05 2000, General Motors Place - May 30 2003, General Motors Place - Sep 02 2005, Canada Olympic Park - Aug 08 2009,Key Arena - Sep 22 2009, GM Place - Sep 25 2009, The O2 - Jun 22 2010, Odyssey Arena - Jun 23 2010, Hyde Park - Jun 25 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Scotiabank Saddledome - Sep 21, 2011, Rexall Place - Sep 23, 2011, Pacific Coliseum - Sep 25, 2011, Portland OR 11-29-2013, Spokane WA 11-30-2013, Vancouver BC 12-04-2013, Seattle WA 12-06-2013, Toronto ON 05-10-2016, Toronto ON 05-12-2016, Seattle WA 08-08-2018, Seattle 08-10-2018

EV Arlene Schnitzer Hall - July 14 2011, EV Benaroya Hall - July 16 2011

• Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,075
    october22 said:

False. 
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    So for fun yesterday I played the song a few times to our lunch crowd during mid day service to see what their reaction was. Most folks in town are mid 30’s in age so that’s the crowd. I played it three times in a row and then brought it up while I was walking the dining room. It was about 80% hated it and 20% thought it was ok.  The ones that liked it said it sounded “heavy” or “punk,” so they liked it. Most people said they thought the singer was trying way too hard, others said it was just awful. Keep in mind it’s friday of sxsw here in town so there’s a lot of music fans around, 
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    So for fun yesterday I played the song a few times to our lunch crowd during mid day service to see what their reaction was. Most folks in town are mid 30’s in age so that’s the crowd. I played it three times in a row and then brought it up while I was walking the dining room. It was about 80% hated it and 20% thought it was ok.  The ones that liked it said it sounded “heavy” or “punk,” so they liked it. Most people said they thought the singer was trying way too hard, others said it was just awful. Keep in mind it’s friday of sxsw here in town so there’s a lot of music fans around, 
    I think i'd dislike any song played three times in a row. 
    looking to hear of the earth