Columbus area Pearl Jam fan gone missing...

Comments

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Sorry to hear about Kevin, energy and loving thoughts sent to Ohio. Sent for his family and friends also, visiting my sister in hospice was surreal and basically sucked, even though they made it as peaceful and friendly an atmosphere as they could. 

His father's death has always struck me as so unfair and freaky. It does pour when it rains. 

I check this thread whenever I come on here. A resolution for his brother's sake would be nice. 

• FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    I randomly was thinking about brian today, how crazy it is someone could vanish so abruptly with no answers. It seems almost supernatural. I was floored at how long its been since i first learned of his disappearance. It doesn't seem that long since i first read about his story right here on the porch, crazy how fast the time goes. 
  • Daughter5Daughter5 Mass Posts: 38
    My thoughts and Prayers are with Family & All who knew him. This is a huge thread so I might be repeating someone else who might have said this. In the news & true crime stories talk about people who have had a head injury, and truly don't remember anything, who they are, family, or where they live. Do you think that could have happened? I read about the homeless man who thinks he saw him but when he spoke out that people were looking for him there wasn't any reaction. I hate posting about this, but I also read about his Moms death right before he went missing, and the stress. I lost my only sister in 2015, then in 2017 both of her sons, Nate 28 & Tony 30 to a heroin overdose. It devastated me, and this is so hard to post but it does happen I had a nervous breakdown. For months I don't remember anything I did, who I talked to nothing and I still don't. It wasn't until I became violent which is not like me, I was hospitalized. It does happen, and I think I didn't wander off because I'm in a wheelchair and being able to leave alone is physically not possible.
    We can only Pray and keep the faith because there have been sightings.
  • Daughter5Daughter5 Mass Posts: 38
    I'm sorry about the number of quotes I didn't mean it and no matter what I do I have to post sorry to all.
    I only wanted to say this is one forum, and yes he is a fan, and yes this was a great place to post especially now with the shows in the states his picture is fresh in our minds and I know I'll be aware to watch out. To put this to rest, which was not appropriate to post here but yes people go missing every day how do we know this because family & friends are desperate to find them. First, they call the authority, and then the news in some cases, and if it was my friend I would POST EVERYWHERE THEY HAD INTERESTS. If he was a fan of any band or celebrity he followed and they had a chat room, forum, anywhere he might look, yes I and I'm sure you would too that's how people are found, isn't it? Personally, if I get tickets I will print his picture so I'm positive I saw him.
    Again sorry for all the quotes it was an error.
    God Bless, Brenda
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,746
    edited March 2018
    These are words from the organizers of this event. I know a lot of you are far, but there are also many who are near. All are welcome to join.

The Brian Shaffer March For The Missing is being held April 15, 2018 at 12:00pm in Columbus Ohio. We will begin the March at The Ohio State University College of Medicine. This will be a group of family members, friends, advocates, and the general public uniting to distribute Missing Person Flyers from Ohio. From The College of Medicine we will walk/March to The King Avenue United Methodist Church where we will have a group prayer for the Missing and their families. We will leave the Church and continue marching down King Avenue and past the apartment of Brian Shaffer until we reach the Ugly Tuna Saloona. We will then turn around and March the way we came ending up back at The King Avenue United Methodist Church where we will have a reception. During the reception we will hear from Maureen Reintjes from NameUs, and The Ohio Attorney Generals office will be set up with Project Link. Project Link is where they take the DNA of family members and run it against their John Doe database to see if their loved one has been found. There are a couple of other things in the works but they are not finalized. We will end the reception with a dessert and beverage bar (coffee, water, soda). 

Back to me:

College of Medicine at OSU to King Avenue UMC is about 10 minutes at most...under a half-mile. King Avenue UMC to Ugly Tuna is about a half-mile.

I'm not sure of the exact route, but it shouldn't be more than three miles total.

Parking: Because the church will have regular services during the march, it's been asked to respect their parking lot and park elsewhere. There should be ample street parking in the neighborhood around the church. Please obey signs regarding permits, but being a weekend, I believe most of the restrictions are lifted. There are meters (free on Sundays) a bit north along Neil. Failing all other options, OSU has a garage at 345 W. 9th Avenue. Expect to pay around $7 cash or card, but it's a safe option where you won't be ticketed or towed.

Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/WheresBrianShaffer/

Facebook event:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/180147925910008/?ti=cl

There's also a podcast of interest at:
    http://www.comebackpodcast.com and no, that's not a coincidence. The band gave permission to use the song for the cause.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • JensStillHereJensStillHere Columbus, Ohio Posts: 101
    I'm local and will try to make the event. I think about his disappearance so often and just wish there were answers.
    I'm local and will try to make the event. I think about his disappearance so often and just wish there were answers.

Thanks! Of course, feel free to invite whoever you'd like.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    I was just told to share this...

A tidbit of unreleased information. Not only did #MissingPerson #BrianShaffer have a @PearlJam #Alive tattoo but when cleaning out his apartment after his disappearance his family found the word #Alone scrawled on his wall behind his bed. #Comeback https://t.co/zYxJnVuSXp
    A most interesting update:

Ugly Tuna Saloona (where Brian disappeared from) back in 2006, is closing. Tomorrow is the last night. It could have been a week or two earlier, but bar management wanted to stay open until the end of the academic term. Ohio State's neighborhood development arm owns the property and it appears they want/need the space for offices.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,807

Ugly Tuna Saloona (where Brian disappeared from) back in 2006, is closing. Tomorrow is the last night. It could have been a week or two earlier, but bar management wanted to stay open until the end of the academic term. Ohio State's neighborhood development arm owns the property and it appears they want/need the space for offices.
    http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180503/theodore-decker-bars-closing-calls-to-mind-brian-shaffers-disappearance?start=2
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180503/theodore-decker-bars-closing-calls-to-mind-brian-shaffers-disappearance?start=2

Thanks for the link. I think the photo of the girlfriend's phone is extremely telling. She had a flip phone. The original iPhone still hadn't yet been released... which came a few months after then-new songs like Worldwide Suicide and Comatose...which were also first heard by the masses after he went missing.
    edited May 2018
    Podcast #3 has been out for a few days.

www.comebackpodcast.com

I've always said that I never started the thread to meet the band or be some sort of internet celebrity... Really, I'm just a regular dude, but I think it is EXTREMELY COOL beyond words how much the band cares about this saga. I hope they know.

There WILL be answers.
    Tonight at 9pm PT/12am ET, Pearl Jam Radio on SiriusXM is playing the Cincinnati 2006 show from when Eddie talked about Brian the first time.

I believe 10C Radio here and other places online plays the same live throughout the week.

This is cool. I've noticed that SiriusXM plays shows that have similar dates to that part of the year.

Rock on, Rob.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Listening to the podcast now.  Is the website down?
  • unsung said:

I had heard that the podcast was merged with another situation. I'll report back.
  • Today is the 10th anniversary of the death of Randy, aka Brian's father.
  • unsung said:

I had heard that the podcast was merged with another situation. I'll report back.

And I just heard it will be back in about a month.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Thanks.  There are some technical problems with it, hope they can get it worked out.
  • aus_suzaus_suz Posts: 9,364
    I hope someday they will have answers. How can ppl just vanish.. :( 
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,785
    edited January 2019
    Saw this article and it made me think of this thread.  

Were hundreds of college-age men who drowned on nights out murdered? Retired detectives claim sinister gang drugged and killed them, made their deaths look like accidents and left smiley face graffiti nearby

• The detectives found striking and suspicious similarities in the deaths of hundreds of men dating back to 1997
    • All were found in bodies of water, days after going missing, having 'drowned' 
    • Most were athletic, academically high achieving and would have been able to swim
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    While I don't have any "inside information" I've always thought that whatever happened to Brian isn't related to any other situation.
    edited March 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3kSYAKjOSQ

Here's a chapter of a podcast for missing Ohioans. This whole "chapter" is dedicated to Brian.

At the very beginning, they mention that he was 27 when he was last seen, 13 years ago.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3kSYAKjOSQ

Here's a chapter of a podcast for missing Ohioans. This whole "chapter" is dedicated to Brian.

At the very beginning, they mention that he was 27 when he was last seen, 13 years ago.
    Thanks for posting this. 

I just finished listening to it. There was new information in it and that makes trying to figure out what happened even more confusing. 
    But it's amazing that there are people that are uncovering information and relaying it to the public that have become invested in Brian in some way. The information they discussed may be known to the police and to certain people but it was stuff I've never heard or read before. 

Do you attend the walk in April every year?  Thank you for helping keep Brian's case known and keeping us up to date.   

Now I'm thinking he disappeared with help. I was firmly in belief that he was killed and that his friend or perhaps the Smiley face or some other murderer was involved but now I am not so sure of anything. If he is alive, I wish he would just let someone know and keep his location private if he did not want to be found. Or maybe he has done that. I don't know.   I hope that is the case, but there is no way to know for now. 

I'm going to check if there is a missing in New Jersey podcast (I'm sure there is). Who knows if I know something?

The other, less important, thing I was thinking about is that a band that I like (O.A.R.) went to Ohio State and are the same age as Brian, but he was in medical school when he disappeared and they had moved on with the band after getting their Bachelor's. It just is weird how things connect but don't connect, if that makes any sense. 

Thanks again. Good thoughts for a positive outcome.
    The Second Annual Brian Shaffer March For The Missing will be Saturday April 13th. I hope to get precise information soon, but it starts at the med school and then proceeds to the site where Ugly Tuna was before heading off to King Avenue United Methodist Church. There'll be a presentation at the church where a lot of families with missing loved ones will gather and mingle.

I believe it's about a two-mile walk. There are sidewalks the whole way.

I hope to get info via parking soon. There should be free parking west of Neil Avenue (church lot parking TBA) and free parking in many OSU lots and garages due to their spring football game. The downside with this is that vehicular traffic will be intense...but there'll be lots of people walking around, so it's definitely a double-edged sword.

Here's a link to one of many FB pages:

https://www.facebook.com/976350382432042/posts/2185406934859708/
    Official info:

The 2nd Annual Brian Shaffer March For The Missing will take place in Columbus, Ohio on April 13, 2019.  Families and friends with a missing loved one will join the general public and March the streets of Columbus distributing flyers. The March will start at the King Avenue United Methodist Church located at 299 King Avenue, Columbus, Ohio.  We will meet in the parking lot of the church at Noon.  We will take King Avenue to Hunter Avenue towards Drinko Hall. We will take 11th Avenue past the Ohio State Brain Spine Hospital.  We will return to the church via King Avenue.  

From 1-3 p.m. at the King Avenue United Methodist Church members from organizations such as Ohio B.C.I., NamUs, National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, Missing Person from Ohio, Ohio Missing Person, and Missing in Ohio Podcast, will be available to discuss how they can help if you have a missing loved one. We will conclude the event with snacks and beverages such as water, soda, and coffee. 

This event is for all of Ohio’s Missing Persons and it is open to the public.  We hope you can join us and be a voice for the missing!!

Sponsored by : Missing Person From Ohio and Missing in Ohio Podcast
    Here's a new article with...no new news.

"Eddie Vedder, the lead singer of Pearl Jam (one of Shaffer’s favorite bands and motivation for a tattoo) even took time out of the band’s set in Cincinnati to put out a call for information that may lead to Shaffer’s discovery."
    I met Sean Hennesy last night after the Candlebox show. I was trying to meet Dave, but he goes back to the hotel almost immediately after the shows end. Anyway, we chatted for a bit, he gave me a pick and I gave him some of the business cards with Brian's info on it and a bracelet with Brian's name and date missing and all that.

Sean's a cool guy. We definitely need more people like him in the world.
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    Listening to it now. Thanks igotid88
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
    edited January 2020
    Today was First Responder Night at the Ohio State University hockey game. Lori had a table set up with information regarding Brian and other missing people from Ohio. A lot of information was distributed. Many people recognized his name/face.

Here's where it gets surreal:

Someone approached the table and said they were at Ugly Tuna the night Brian disappeared. They saw the news coverage in the weeks following and realized there were there. Naturally, Lori talked to them about the whole thing, but they said they didn't see anything...they just happened to be there.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3006555526023885&id=100000084025669

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/columbus-police-fire-hockey-teams-lace-up-for-charity