Royal Blood

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited June 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, they put on a short show. I remember being fairly shocked and feeling a little ripped off when they ended the show during their last tour too. They're young dudes and they should have more stamina than that. They are teetering on the edge of screwing their fans with shows that short. At a point, the show becomes too short to justify the ticket price and the effort to go, even when the price isn't that high.

It is kinda weird when seeing a newer band that only has 1 album.  Usually bands like that play most of it not all of their album and throw in a cover or 2.  I just saw the record company a couple weeks ago and they only played for an hour and 20 mins.  But yeah, I agree that headliners should be playing at least an hour and 15 mins.
    For sure. I do understand that a band with only one album won't have as much to play, but I totally agree - throw in a couple covers, and do a couple of extended jams or something. One album or ten albums, they need to at least make the show worth the price of admission. Also, Royal Blood did ROCK for the short time they played, and they had the crowd so into it.... and the show ended while everyone was still way up at the peak of rocking out, so the end of the show seemed so sudden, and happened before the crowd was out of that energy. We were really left with the sense that we weren't done yet. All that said, they really were great on stage. I wouldn't discourage anyone from going to see them just because the shows are too short. Not unless the ticket prices go up, anyway.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, they put on a short show. I remember being fairly shocked and feeling a little ripped off when they ended the show during their last tour too. They're young dudes and they should have more stamina than that. They are teetering on the edge of screwing their fans with shows that short. At a point, the show becomes too short to justify the ticket price and the effort to go, even when the price isn't that high.

It is kinda weird when seeing a newer band that only has 1 album.  Usually bands like that play most of it not all of their album and throw in a cover or 2.  I just saw the record company a couple weeks ago and they only played for an hour and 20 mins.  But yeah, I agree that headliners should be playing at least an hour and 15 mins.
    i doubt it's their stamina. although i'm not sure why they can't go for more than an hour.  they have two albums out (well one out in another week), but yeah they could have done at least a few more songs.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Enjoyed the Philly show. 1st time at Union Transfer. they have a really cool set up.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:

i doubt it's their stamina. although i'm not sure why they can't go for more than an hour.  they have two albums out (well one out in another week), but yeah they could have done at least a few more songs.
    it might be a case of wanting the crowd to want more. honestly, most of their music, while I dig it, can be pretty repetitive. you don't want the crowd to get bored. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    If anyone is interested, Newbury Comics has signed versions of their new album (CD) for sale. I picked one up. I love CD's with scribbles on them.
    PJ_Soul said:

it might be a case of wanting the crowd to want more. honestly, most of their music, while I dig it, can be pretty repetitive. you don't want the crowd to get bored. 
    yeah i can see that with them.  Crowd was into them though.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,353

Royal Blood's opening for QOTSA on their NA tour.

That will be an amazing show.

edited June 2017

Royal Blood's opening for QOTSA on their NA tour.

i know they are fans of qotsa. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5ivEg0H9bE

Post edited by eeriepadave on
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Royal Blood's opening for QOTSA on their NA tour.

Thanks for this heads up!
  • I have not listened to this band much at all.

They are opening for GnR in Vancouver though so I will see them.

Any advice for getting to know and appreciate them beforehand?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    I have not listened to this band much at all.

Check out "Figure It Out," "Out of the Black," &"Little Monster" off their first album. Great tunes that give you a good idea of their sound. 

Definitely get to GnR in time to see these guys, they kick ass. 

Check out "Figure It Out," "Out of the Black," &"Little Monster" off their first album. Great tunes that give you a good idea of their sound. 

Will do. Thanks.

And we will get there early and check these guys out- I won't bugger that up!

Will do. Thanks.

I'm torn about trying for the Portland ME show w/ QOTSA. I'm definitely going for the Boston show (less than 15 minutes from my house, & a Saturday night to boot!) but Portland the next night seems like a lot. The theater in Portland only seats 1,680 people though...... I may have to  try to make it happen. 

Will do. Thanks.

I'm torn about trying for the Portland ME show w/ QOTSA. I'm definitely going for the Boston show (less than 15 minutes from my house, & a Saturday night to boot!) but Portland the next night seems like a lot. The theater in Portland only seats 1,680 people though...... I may have to  try to make it happen. 
    That seems like a pretty sweet gig for such a small venue! Such intimacy.
    edited June 2017

Will do. Thanks.

I know, just for QOTSA alone it will be amazing, add in RB as an opener, I think I have to make this happen.

Edit: I just changed my presale selection, we're going for b2b nights. This lineup is too good to pass on, especially considering it's only a 2 hour drive & I have a free place to stay. 
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on

Will do. Thanks.

I know, just for QOTSA alone it will be amazing, add in RB as an opener, I think I have to make this happen.

Edit: I just changed my presale selection, we're going for b2b nights. This lineup is too good to pass on, especially considering it's only a 2 hour drive & I have a free place to stay. 
    Outstanding rocking and rolling, my friend!

Outstanding.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411

Pick a song, any song and you'll know pretty much what the rest of their songs sound like.
    new album is good, not as good as their first one though. 
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • DewieCox said:

Pick a song, any song and you'll know pretty much what the rest of their songs sound like.
    Is this an endorsement?
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 629
    +1 to this. 
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    edited June 2017
    DC29940 said:
    +1 to this. 

Post edited by RobbyD462 on
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

DewieCox said:

this. I was psyched for their second album. But it's essentially first album 2.0. nearly zero growth, no risks taken that I have figured out yet. it's basically the same record. 

a little disappointed. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,613
    I love the second album.  "Don't Tell" has a totally different sound than anything on the first album and it came out great.  Also, the title track "How did we Get So Dark" is tied with Little Monster for my favorite royal blood song overall.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Received the deluxe vinyl set and it's pretty nice.  I also think the 2 songs on the bonus 45 are good. I like the album after one listen through. Everything evolves over time.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    I love the second album.  "Don't Tell" has a totally different sound than anything on the first album and it came out great.  Also, the title track "How did we Get So Dark" is tied with Little Monster for my favorite royal blood song overall.
    yeah title track is really good.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited June 2017
    DewieCox said:

this. I was psyched for their second album. But it's essentially first album 2.0. nearly zero growth, no risks taken that I have figured out yet. it's basically the same record. 

a little disappointed. 
    I totally agree. I guess this is a one trick pony band. They are good at that, but can they mix it up? Or did they use up all their creativity already?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I haven't received my preordered copy yet so I haven't been able to listen yet.

The new stuff sounded great live....... I'm still looking forward to hearing it, despite the negative reviews.
    PJ_Soul said:
    DewieCox said:

a little disappointed. 
    I totally agree. I guess this is a one trick pony band. They are good at that, but can they mix it up? Or did they use up all their creativity already?
    same kinda thing when wolfmother came out. I loved that first record. then the second one came out....and the third.....and it was like....enough already. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_Soul said:
    DewieCox said:

a little disappointed. 
    same kinda thing when wolfmother came out. I loved that first record. then the second one came out....and the third.....and it was like....enough already. 
    I actually thought that Cosmic Egg sounded subtly distinct from their first album.

Its always going to be heavy guitar with Wolfmother.