Options

THE WALKING DEAD...and all things zombie

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    MayDay10 said:

I dont like the way the 'story' here was told that seems like an easy way out, and trades in good storytelling with selling 1,000 commercial slots. The reason I got away from the show was it relied on the 'formula' of cliffhangers too much.

That was a season finale episode. Its a cop-out bridging two seasons with that. Maybe have the Abraham guy killed at the end of last season, then the shocking 2nd one at the beginning of this episode. The amount of commercials was displeasing.

Its like America was anxious to see the 'killing' all year... and they proceeded to drag it out a bit more: "see who gets their brains smashed in with a barbed wire covered baseball bat..... right after a word from our sponsors!" I watched it. I didn't like it. It didn't make me feel good, or feel like following the story again. I guess I should have known what I was getting into...
    Then to see all my acquaintances on social media fawn over the episode, calling it the 'best episode of anything ever'... and even a few people proclaiming they are "On Team Negan now"... makes me think people are a wee bit desensitized to witnessing a very graphic and brutal execution/murder in full HD.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood lately, maybe just turned off by people's glorification/reactions... I don't know.

I was disappointed at the end of last season that there was no resolution. I hated it. But, it DID succeed in keeping people talking about the show and tuning in this season. Without that cliffhanger, the anticipation wouldn't have been there. You gotta remember that this is season 7. It's not easy keeping people engaged in a show that has gone on this long. This isn't your average cop show where the same damn thing happens every episode with a few dramatic elements regarding the characters are thrown in for interest's sake. The whole episode of every show has to be fresh.

Cliffhangers have been around for since the advent of dramatic primetime tv. Look at Who Shot JR. or Who Killled Laura Palmer. Or even Who Shot Mr Burns. It bothers me that now we have to deal with two cliffhangers a year, with the mid-season finale now, especially with a show that only has 16 episodes per year.

This show has glorified the disgusting from the beginning. 3 years ago we saw an old man get decapitated.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

This series loves to draw things out as long as possible..almost half the episode before the death(s) reveal.
    I was definitely taken back by the second, as I wasnt expecting it after not being too surprised at the choice of the first death.
    And yes, with the eyeball, it was a bit much, even for this show.

Yeah, I agree-- thought they dragged the deaths revealed out too long-- almost halfway into the episode we had to wait, lol. Glenn was who I expected since he already cheated death once in the dumpster scene and died in the comics. So much time spent on the eyeball and the zombie pinata that snapped/stretched at the neck--so gross! lol--its good to see someone else think that it was a bit much even for this show. But the grotesque has been getting more and more intense each season it seems. It'll be funny to see which soccer moms stop watching because they can't stomach the show anymore.

I think this episode, with the brutal deaths and the dark, twisted, psychopathic controlling Negan takes pleasure in over Rick and the gang, has definitely put the show on a more dark, sinister course. I think the actor that plays Negan does it very well and seems like a nice guy. I watched Talking Dead and I think he's afraid to be hated by such a large population of viewers, lol. But, hopefully, many of them are capable of separating fiction from reality. I do think its pretty sad that some are saying they are on Negan's Army (saw that on someone else's comment). Anyway, its just a show.

RIP Glenn and Abraham.
  • Options

This series loves to draw things out as long as possible..almost half the episode before the death(s) reveal.
    I was definitely taken back by the second, as I wasnt expecting it after not being too surprised at the choice of the first death.

Yeah, I agree-- thought they dragged the deaths revealed out too long-- almost halfway into the episode we had to wait, lol. Glenn was who I expected since he already cheated death once in the dumpster scene and died in the comics. So much time spent on the eyeball and the zombie pinata that snapped/stretched at the neck--so gross! lol--its good to see someone else think that it was a bit much even for this show. But the grotesque has been getting more and more intense each season it seems. It'll be funny to see which soccer moms stop watching because they can't stomach the show anymore.

I think this episode, with the brutal deaths and the dark, twisted, psychopathic controlling Negan takes pleasure in over Rick and the gang, has definitely put the show on a more dark, sinister course. I think the actor that plays Negan does it very well and seems like a nice guy. I watched Talking Dead and I think he's afraid to be hated by such a large population of viewers, lol. But, hopefully, many of them are capable of separating fiction from reality. I do think its pretty sad that some are saying they are on Negan's Army (saw that on someone else's comment). Anyway, its just a show.

RIP Glenn and Abraham.
    in some ways, it makes sense. Negan didn't do anything to Rick and the group. Rick & Co. killed 10 or more of Negan's men as they slept, without provocation. Negan killed one man in return, and then a second when punched in the face. He also, in the comics, has a code; no killing women or children. If you think about it, as psychotic as Negan seems, Rick is really the bad guy in their conflict.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

RIP Glenn and Abraham.
    in some ways, it makes sense. Negan didn't do anything to Rick and the group. Rick & Co. killed 10 or more of Negan's men as they slept, without provocation. Negan killed one man in return, and then a second when punched in the face. He also, in the comics, has a code; no killing women or children. If you think about it, as psychotic as Negan seems, Rick is really the bad guy in their conflict.
    I do see your point. I remember last season when they killed 10 or more of Negan's men in the bunker, they talked about after, how the line was blurred as to whether or not Rick was the good guy anymore--the line had been extremely skewed out of focus. It seemed we had drifted through a thought process of the insane and ended up on the bad side--through the mind of a killer who was once good but driven to bad. So, in that theory, Negan is on the good side. BUT, there is a huge difference in putting a bullet in someone's head like Rick's gang did (kill or be killed approach) and slowly torturing two men the way Negan did and taking pleasure in it. However, Rick may have only been a few episodes or another season away from turning into a Negan...possibly.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,921
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,921
    pjalive21 said:

Glenn and Abraham...mark it down

new trailer was sick!

i love how now in multiple trailers they try convincing you its Daryl...on the latest one showing his blanket laying by the brains

nice job, was that in the comics or did you have inside info?

Didn't mind that Abraham got lucilled. Glenn was kinda shocking. The Blood and gore didn't bother me like some people. They did have a viewer discretion thing before the episode. Should be an interesting season.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394

pjalive21 said:

new trailer was sick!

i love how now in multiple trailers they try convincing you its Daryl...on the latest one showing his blanket laying by the brains

Didn't mind that Abraham got lucilled. Glenn was kinda shocking. The Blood and gore didn't bother me like some people. They did have a viewer discretion thing before the episode. Should be an interesting season.
    **COMIC SPOILERS**

Glenn got Lucilled in the comics. Abraham died from the arrow in the eye via Dwight, whereas the doctor got the arrow in the show.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited October 2016
    bflynn1 said:

pjalive21 said:

new trailer was sick!

**COMIC SPOILERS**

Glenn got Lucilled in the comics. Abraham died from the arrow in the eye via Dwight, whereas the doctor got the arrow in the show.
    Exactly...that and to me personally those were the only two deaths that made sense at this point in time... i follow a group on facebook that pretty much stalks the filming of TWD and they stated who was missing from filming on the set...even knowing this still didn't take away the shock factor as the directing and acting of the episode was some of the best yet

i am definitely looking forward to this season as there is alot to cover

Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options

RIP Glenn and Abraham.
    I do see your point. I remember last season when they killed 10 or more of Negan's men in the bunker, they talked about after, how the line was blurred as to whether or not Rick was the good guy anymore--the line had been extremely skewed out of focus. It seemed we had drifted through a thought process of the insane and ended up on the bad side--through the mind of a killer who was once good but driven to bad. So, in that theory, Negan is on the good side. BUT, there is a huge difference in putting a bullet in someone's head like Rick's gang did (kill or be killed approach) and slowly torturing two men the way Negan did and taking pleasure in it. However, Rick may have only been a few episodes or another season away from turning into a Negan...possibly.
    yes, his methods are pretty twisted. I was thinking about all our group has done:

Carol put a bullet in the back of the head of a child
    Rick and the group killed 10 unarmed sleeping men with knives through their faces
    Carol killed and burned two people who had the flu

I had more examples but now they escape me.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    edited October 2016
    as the graphic novels progressed, i actually found negan to be quite reasonable in some fashion. sounds twisted, but as already mentioned above, rick and his crew have done some pretty barbaric and gruesome things as well. so what makes their actions so different from negan?

kinda of like inglorious basterds. of course the nazis are doing gruesome things throughout the movie, but the basterds are far more savage with their methods (scalping all their victims, bear jew, etc...). so why are we rooting for them and their methods?

i liked the governor as well. thought he was very charismatic -- i think the same about negan. the walking dead is 2 for 2 with these two very important casting roles.
    Post edited by rival. on
  • Options
    my wife said last night she felt physically ill from the premiere. not because of the graphic nature of the violence, but the violence itself, and negan's psychosis. But I doubt we'll see an episode like that again for a long time.

we may have been more sympathetic to the governor and negan had we been afforded the opportunity to see them as they were pre-apocalypse, or at least just slightly post-apocalypse. they were most likely normal people like rick and shane and lori and dale. it would have been interesting if the spin off series had followed the governor from the beginning.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited October 2016

RIP Glenn and Abraham.
    yes, his methods are pretty twisted. I was thinking about all our group has done:

Carol put a bullet in the back of the head of a child
    Rick and the group killed 10 unarmed sleeping men with knives through their faces
    Carol killed and burned two people who had the flu

I had more examples but now they escape me.
    Damn, was it really knives through their faces?!...and while they slept unarmed no doubt (remember that part)....I must have blocked that out somehow, lol--that is brutal!! I guess I was thinking a bullet to the head but that would have woke the others up. I think I subconsciously did not want to remember that episode...sorry. Yeah, the group and Carol have done a lot of bad stuff. It sounds like Negan's back story may come into play soon so we can see how he really was before all the craziness.

I do think the episode was awesome, btw, for the record, lol. The goriness of the show will never keep me away. The whole concept of the end of the world and how everyone will survive it and deal with it was always the aspect about it that intrigued me.
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    I didn't think it was that horrific. They do the same shit to the walkers. So neegan just did it to a couple of humans.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

my wife said last night she felt physically ill from the premiere. not because of the graphic nature of the violence, but the violence itself, and negan's psychosis. But I doubt we'll see an episode like that again for a long time.

we may have been more sympathetic to the governor and negan had we been afforded the opportunity to see them as they were pre-apocalypse, or at least just slightly post-apocalypse. they were most likely normal people like rick and shane and lori and dale. it would have been interesting if the spin off series had followed the governor from the beginning.

Completely agree with you...they already stated the next episode the breaks get put on and i think the show turns more to mind games and the group dealing with what just happened emotionally and trying to pick up the pieces. I'm sure they turn their focus on Carol in the next episode

• Options
    pjalive21 said:

Completely agree with you...they already stated the next episode the breaks get put on and i think the show turns more to mind games and the group dealing with what just happened emotionally and trying to pick up the pieces. I'm sure they turn their focus on Carol in the next episode

I wonder if Maggie's health scare gets resolved, or if she "just gets better"? next week will be interesting. Carol, Morgan, Gabriel, Tara...none of them know Glen and Abraham are dead. Does Tara even know Denise is dead? I forget.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346

pjalive21 said:

I wonder if Maggie's health scare gets resolved, or if she "just gets better"? next week will be interesting. Carol, Morgan, Gabriel, Tara...none of them know Glen and Abraham are dead. Does Tara even know Denise is dead? I forget.
    I don't think Tara knows about Denise.

As a fan of the graphic novels I thought they did an amazing job with last weeks episode. And they couldn't have picked a better actor to play Negan. He nailed it!!
    NYPJ
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,046
    Negan is a bad mother fucker! Great acting.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    For all you Rifftrax fans, the audio commentary for the pilot is available on the site to sync up to it.
  • Options
    Do any of you use the AMC app to watch the show? Do you also have problems with the feed stopping all of the time?
  • Options
    last nights episode was definitely a snooze fest compared to the premier ha i figured they would focus on Carol this week
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I needed this light hearted episode after last week's 60 minutes of trauma.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    I liked the episode. Shiva and King E were both amazing.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    So they were feeding walkers to the pigs that were headed to The Saviors as payment. I wonder if that will have any major effect on those that consume it.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419

So they were feeding walkers to the pigs that were headed to The Saviors as payment. I wonder if that will have any major effect on those that consume it.

Looking back at past episodes it doesn't seem that it would make much difference. The Termites ate Bob's tainted leg. Nobody seems to mind when they get Walker blood and guts all over their face and nose. Some have said it is like your restaurant server spitting in your salad. Probably doesn't hurt you, but it makes him/her feel better. But maybe, if they continually eat pigs that have eaten walkers maybe they will get sick with something. Plus, it is a cheap easy way to fatten the hogs I guess.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options

Looking back at past episodes it doesn't seem that it would make much difference. The Termites ate Bob's tainted leg. Nobody seems to mind when they get Walker blood and guts all over their face and nose. Some have said it is like your restaurant server spitting in your salad. Probably doesn't hurt you, but it makes him/her feel better. But maybe, if they continually eat pigs that have eaten walkers maybe they will get sick with something. Plus, it is a cheap easy way to fatten the hogs I guess.
    It may even be the way to build immunity and end the apocalypse in season 61
  • Options

Maybe it will infect them if not cooked all the way?? I'm sure it makes them feel better to stick it to them that way. Plus, they aren't using up their resources when fattening the pigs.
  • Options
    it might make them sick, but it won't infect them. everyone is already infected.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ^^^ true, I forgot about that. But, how about an infected parasite from undercooked pork? Would their bodies react to it the same way as being bitten?
  • Options

^^^ true, I forgot about that. But, how about an infected parasite from undercooked pork? Would their bodies react to it the same way as being bitten?

I have no idea.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Im glad i wasnt the only one who thought about the pigs eating the walkers and how that may play out...that seemed to be a focus for a reason...curious to see how that plays out if at all