Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,564
    edited October 2016
    Well, maybe, but i doubt it. If she'd just turned down the gig no one would have ever heard about it and it would have been absolutely no statement at all. Since I am not quite as cynical as you (apparently), my first assumption is that she did this with good and honest intentions. What she really should have done is arrive, go out there like she was going to sing, and then announce that she wouldn't sing the anthem, and why not. Now THAT would have driven the point home and cause an impressive uproar. But I think the lady just needs political protest lessons, lol, and a lot more guts than she could likely muster (although, even though it fell flat because it doesn't quite meet the mark and came off as a bit contradictory, it took some guts for her to do what she did, no matter how dumb you might think it was). I mean, if you become the woman who refused to sing the national anthem in protest of what America has become, in the current sociopolitical atmosphere in the States right now, that could seriously change your life, and probably not for the better. She'd probably immediately get death threats. Actually, she probably will just for kneeling like that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419

JC29856 said:
    It would have been more noble had she turned down the gig on principle, but like some others... used the opportunity for self promotion.

"I'm sorry. I don't feel right singing the national anthem given my problem with how blacks are treated by the police."

versus

"I'm only going to half sing the national anthem. I need the gig and I want the attention."
    I don't understand why you are so hell bent on this "self promotion" thing. THAT'S NOT WHY THEY ARE DOING IT! Just because you disagree with how or why they are doing it, doesn't mean they are doing it for selfish reasons. Come on Thirty, you're better than this!
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617

JC29856 said:
    It would have been more noble had she turned down the gig on principle, but like some others... used the opportunity for self promotion.

"I'm sorry. I don't feel right singing the national anthem given my problem with how blacks are treated by the police."

versus

"I'm only going to half sing the national anthem. I need the gig and I want the attention."
    I don't understand why you are so hell bent on this "self promotion" thing. THAT'S NOT WHY THEY ARE DOING IT! Just because you disagree with how or why they are doing it, doesn't mean they are doing it for selfish reasons. Come on Thirty, you're better than this!
    It works it convinces the ignorant and naive and plus it distracts from real issue
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

versus

It works it convinces the ignorant and naive and plus it distracts from real issue
    You are evidence to this claim!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

JC29856 said:

versus

This singer blindsides the moment and I'm supposed to be impressed?

Hey man... I'm okay with the movement, but they haven't figured out SOP yet. Burning their neighbourhoods, ambushing cops, and snubbing veterans aren't the answers in my mind.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    edited October 2016

JC29856 said:

versus

Hey man... I'm okay with the movement, but they haven't figured out SOP yet. Burning their neighbourhoods, ambushing cops, and snubbing veterans aren't the answers in my mind.
    I think the signer one was inappropriate.

I find this second paragraph to be so hypocritical. Don't be violent, which obviously agreed, but hey, don't be peaceful either. Find a way to protest that makes me comfortable
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    You don't have to be impressed. Never implied that. You don't have to agree with taking knees or protesting the flag - that's your right and it's completely acceptable. Just understand that the reasons people are protesting by taking knees are not for self-promotion. I agree that looting and rioting are not solving the issue, but that's not what we're discussing here.
  • Options

You don't have to be impressed. Never implied that. You don't have to agree with taking knees or protesting the flag - that's your right and it's completely acceptable. Just understand that the reasons people are protesting by taking knees are not for self-promotion. I agree that looting and rioting are not solving the issue, but that's not what we're discussing here.

lets save that discussion for November 2nd
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    She pretty much hit all the buzzwords in her explanation from the white privilege thread. Now she can go back to all her diverse friends in San Francisco as a hero.

So I ask again, did this action of "bringing attention" help solve a problem or widen the division?
  • Options

JC29856 said:

versus

I think the signer one was inappropriate.

I find this second paragraph to be so hypocritical. Don't be violent, which obviously agreed, but hey, don't be peaceful either. Find a way to protest that makes me comfortable
    They can protest any way they want. It doesn't make me 'uncomfortable'.

I don't have the answers outside of a massive overhaul to the social structure of the USA. I'm all in favour of supporting mechanisms that enable the impoverished. I just disagree with the current tactics.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    just read he left the team/fired....true ? if so what a surprise ! and good luck finding another team....at least until this mess clears up and he realizes where his money comes from.

Godfather.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

just read he left the team/fired....true ? if so what a surprise ! and good luck finding another team....at least until this mess clears up and he realizes where his money comes from.

Godfather.

false.

he wasn't protesting his team or his sport. this has zero to do with him "realizing where his money comes from".
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    this reminds me of a guy at our SD plant, he brought in his own Flag and hung it up with the permission of the management and every morning at 8 sharp he played the national anthem and stood at attention with hand over heart (he's a vet)...so a bunch of younger guy's started complaining and one day a guy made the mistake of whining about it to me and told him to shut the fuck up and if he didn't like it to move his ass to Poland since we also have a plant there I'm sure he could get a transfer, so he asks me are two friends ? I said no, the guy's a dick but he's a vet and this is still America. he really was an asshole but the guy is a stand up American.

Godfather.
  • Options

Godfather.

You already posted this a couple weeks ago.
  • Options
    "he really was an asshole but the guy is a stand up american". :confused:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Godfather.

false.

he wasn't protesting his team or his sport. this has zero to do with him "realizing where his money comes from".
    but he used his team, it's media time and position to protest and if he doesn't realize where his money comes from he's not a very smart man. he's costing the NFL money, remember what NFL stands for ? "Not For Long" if you don't fly straight, people see enough of that crap on the news and don't watch football to see some yahoo do it during their favorite sport.

Godfather.

• Options

"he really was an asshole but the guy is a stand up american". :confused:

you'd have to meet him to understand.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603

Godfather.

false.

but he used his team, it's media time and position to protest and if he doesn't realize where his money comes from he's not a very smart man. he's costing the NFL money, remember what NFL stands for ? "Not For Long" if you don't fly straight, people see enough of that crap on the news and don't watch football to see some yahoo do it during their favorite sport.

Godfather.

6th year in the league which is longer than 90% of nfl players and starting this weekend so...
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited October 2016

Godfather.

false.
    Godfather.
    This is a pretty decent analogy.
    It's akin to fans not liking EV talking politics between songs.
    It kinda interrupts the rhythm.
  • Options
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,645
    JC29856 said:
    And a good example of white privilege.
  • Options
    Maybe this is why some protest the anthem.
    And notice how the publication describes the subject as a "man" and not a "student" without knowing the age but knowing that this took place on college campus.

http://abc7.com/news/video-shows-security-physically-detaining-man-at-fullerton-college/1556136/
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,749
    JC29856 said:

Maybe this is why some protest the anthem.
    And notice how the publication describes the subject as a "man" and not a "student" without knowing the age but knowing that this took place on college campus.

http://abc7.com/news/video-shows-security-physically-detaining-man-at-fullerton-college/1556136/

Not sure of the significance of the man/student thing- former student I believe they said. But either way, it sure looks like the security guard obviously went way over the line with use of force- one of those guys that just can't wait to bully someone. The former student obviously has the clearer head- even after getting it slammed on the wall. Wouldn't be surprised if the wannabe cop gets canned for that action. He'll probably go home and kick the dog.

Cool that Wisdom Juice (great name, cool dude) was able to video it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    CK going retro fro in Bullalo

Anniversary of Olympic anthem fist up.
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options

Godfather.

false.

Godfather.

he is well within his right to use time that isn't during plays to use it as he pleases. i don't bitch about players kneeling and thanking god for the touchdown they just made, no matter how ridiculous it seems to me. the whole point of having a platform for causes is to use them if you see fit. just like ed at shows. it takes up nearly zero percent of the rest of the nfl week, so i'd day most fans don't give two shits.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Godfather.

false.
    Godfather.
    This is a pretty decent analogy.
    It's akin to fans not liking EV talking politics between songs.
    It kinda interrupts the rhythm.
    i didn't see any analogy from GF.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited October 2016
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

JC29856 said:
    And a good example of white privilege.
    Dude, you have white privilege on the brain... do you wake up every day and apologize for being white? lol