Options

There is no god

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Godfather. wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:
    am I the only one who wants to know how exactly one goes about acquitting a murder?

the burden of proof was not met just because one survived and the other died does not mean a crime was commited
    according to the laws of each state and lets be realistic the only reason this case was so blown up in the media is because it was a great race case,something the media ...and al sharpton and jesse jackson could use to futher their ...cause (jesse jackson saw a great opertunity to devert attention from his son's own case) and the media saw a great opertunity to boost rateings and we all know that equates to big money.
    it just goes to show how the media controls the public opinion or uses it to advance its own position in rateings and monitary gain, where is the outrage for the little girl that was killed for her BMX bicycle or the man who was beat to death and thrown in front of a car ? and we are all to blame for this over exposer .....just like sheep we are led to see and believe what ever the media tells us wants us to.....very shameful in my opinion.

Godfather.

Read again.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    BinFrog wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:
    am I the only one who wants to know how exactly one goes about acquitting a murder?

the burden of proof was not met just because one survived and the other died does not mean a crime was commited
    according to the laws of each state and lets be realistic the only reason this case was so blown up in the media is because it was a great race case,something the media ...and al sharpton and jesse jackson could use to futher their ...cause (jesse jackson saw a great opertunity to devert attention from his son's own case) and the media saw a great opertunity to boost rateings and we all know that equates to big money.
    it just goes to show how the media controls the public opinion or uses it to advance its own position in rateings and monitary gain, where is the outrage for the little girl that was killed for her BMX bicycle or the man who was beat to death and thrown in front of a car ? and we are all to blame for this over exposer .....just like sheep we are led to see and believe what ever the media tells us wants us to.....very shameful in my opinion.

Godfather.

Read again.
    Yay word games! If "murder" is accurate, then by definition he was found guilty and not acquitted. Ergo, you cannot "acquit" a murder. Do I go to the head of the class?! :geek:
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    MotoDC wrote:
    Yay word games! If "murder" is accurate, then by definition he was found guilty and not acquitted. Ergo, you cannot "acquit" a murder. Do I go to the head of the class?! :geek:

You acquit a murderer. Ergo, no.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    BinFrog wrote:
    MotoDC wrote:

You acquit a murderer. Ergo, no.
    Bah, you're no fun. Anyhow, acquit means to find not guilty of a criminal charge. To murder is to kill unlawfully. Since he was found not guilty, he killed lawfully. Ergo, you cannot acquit a murderer.

I'm going with "we're both right" on this one.

Cheers.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    (CNN) -- President Barack Obama said Friday that "Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago" in his first live comments since a Florida jury acquitted George Zimmerman last weekend in the teenager's shooting death.

He also said protests over the verdict should remain nonviolent.

The president said Americans are aware of the "history of racial disparity in our criminal laws" and said the government should review some state and local legislation, such as Florida's "stand your ground" law, saying they may promote rather than discourage violent confrontations.

A jury acquitted Zimmerman last Saturday in Martin's February 26, 2012, shooting death, inciting anger among many who considered the incident racially motivated murder.

Obama issued a written statement on Sunday noting that the jury had spoken and urging calm and reflection.

On Friday, he also said successive generations of Americans have gotten better at changing attitudes on race, but "we have to be vigilant and work on these issues."

To demonstrators calling for federal civil rights charges against Zimmerman, Obama said they must "have some clear expectations here."

He stressed that law enforcement and the criminal code "is traditionally done at the state and local levels, not at the federal level."
  • Options
    fear4freedomfear4freedom Posts: 920
    This is why i left the forums! And as soon as i come back.....i see this!

This thread has made me dumber and i wasted two minutes of my precious life
    Theres no time like the present

A man that stands for nothing....will fall for anything!

All people need to do more on every level!
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    This is why i left the forums! And as soon as i come back.....i see this!

This thread has made me dumber and i wasted two minutes of my precious life

let us know when you'll be back in a few months, we'll be sure to have an "Obama is God" thread ready for you. ;)

I kid, of course.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    satansbed wrote:
    Do you want proof,

If there was a god he would never have acquitted a shameless murder.
    Proof if we ever needed it we are just simple organisms,

:fp: :nono:

come on dude a belief in the existence of God requires no proof. its about faith and always has been.
    *and always has to be -- must be :)

God has nothing to do with this motherfucker of a debacle.

Your voice of reason is always appreciated, cate!
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    you dont know that
  • Options
    jmuscatellojmuscatello Colorado Posts: 332
    polaris_x said:

there may be a god ...

if there is ... it is simply not what the majority of people believe it to be ...

well said
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    the universes themselves, all darkness, all light, starbright or stars imploding to death, black holes-all of them spinning in madness, countless nebulas, stellar nurseries endless in count constantly expanding yet shrinking in every direction & then some. every single cell across all of this & more are godlike happenings. the glass of water you are enjoying is a fantastic event that goes deeper than what most people are capable of dwelling in

this is just the beginnings
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Declaring there is no god is as misguided (to me, anyway) as claiming that there IS one.

How long must it take for us to realize we don't know shit when it comes to this? We may believe, or believe we know, but none of us knows.
  • Options
    everything is god (as everything is connected & is actually ONE)
    something like this is where i am in this thinking
    this also means god is nothing & nowhere but is everything & everywhere
    all creation... good to go or exploding into smithereens because we are nasty fools
    this planet is a god... like it or not, that is a fact
    can i give actuall proof? not really.
    it is in one's soul for him or her to believe, understand, achieve & be with

i suggest going into the wilds & living in that experience for long periods of time in isolation far away from civilization. even if it means visiting a forest 4 hours every day for years. trust the mind's eye, listen, see & feel w/ the soul, so on & so forth

complex & breathing is this world
    which is our creator

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Declaring there is no god is as misguided (to me, anyway) as claiming that there IS one.

How long must it take for us to realize we don't know shit when it comes to this? We may believe, or believe we know, but none of us knows.

I struggle with the topic of religion.

The universe is much too profound to think we are at the very center of it. We are definitely a miracle, but I don't think it was a holy one at the hands of an omnipresent, superpowered entity that got bored one day and decided to make human beings which would worship him.

It's just as likely that 'God' created whales in his image and we are just a species of animal on this planet like squirrels, bears, birds and beetles.

The idea of God and Heaven is very appealing though and as a kid, I eagerly bought in; however, things changed for me as I began to question things that could never be answered to any degree of satisfaction. I may have a 'moment' where I recapture my faith, but this 'moment' would need to be profound (basically a high five from God).

Regardless, as long as one is peaceful, whatever gets them through their day is okay with me.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    "It's just as likely that 'God' created whales in his image and we are just a species of animal on this planet like squirrels, bears, birds and beetles."

yes this
    & wind, trees & so on
    rocks & water
    ants, elk, salmon or cedar sapling
    equals... even steven

then us humans come along
    you can imagine what has happened

this is not about religion
    this is living together as a whole
    being the best you can be
    every day is battle, it lasts a lifetime & then some

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    I think religion is personalized - tailored to our needs and wants.

Man-made.

Whereas god (ie, nature to me) is just there in its majesty and ugliness.

Take it all for what it is or not, or just experience it, maybe learn from it.

No one is a lesser or better person for seeing / feeling it either way...even no way.

It's what we do with it that matters. How we live our lives (which goes straight to your last line, Thirty. Lennon would agree.)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,746

hedonist said:

I struggle with the topic of religion.

The universe is much too profound to think we are at the very center of it. We are definitely a miracle, but I don't think it was a holy one at the hands of an omnipresent, superpowered entity that got bored one day and decided to make human beings which would worship him.

It's just as likely that 'God' created whales in his image and we are just a species of animal on this planet like squirrels, bears, birds and beetles.

The idea of God and Heaven is very appealing though and as a kid, I eagerly bought in; however, things changed for me as I began to question things that could never be answered to any degree of satisfaction. I may have a 'moment' where I recapture my faith, but this 'moment' would need to be profound (basically a high five from God).

Regardless, as long as one is peaceful, whatever gets them through their day is okay with me.
    I struggled with this as well, Thirty, for many years until I yielded to the idea of the Mystery of it all and doing so set me free. God cannot be proven nor disproved. It's a great mystery and I believe that if there is a god, then God would be flattered by not being able to be understood. Thus Mystery and thus freedom from that struggle in the mind.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Please do you ever dream ??? And if you do have you ever thought about God and Jesus himself and asking ???instead of assuming there is none and going according to your own desires against his will...
    Usually the truth hurts for sinners who refuse to repent in their bad mistakes
    The bible has the story clearly written out why God does allow suffering, he does not agree with it but he doesnt stop it bc of an issue that needs to be proven to the angels and the creation on earth...
  • Options
    London BridgeLondon Bridge USA Posts: 4,733
    God and Religion = the biggest scam of all time! It's more like a fantasy. What do people really get out of going to church on Sunday?
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

Please do you ever dream ??? And if you do have you ever thought about God and Jesus himself and asking ???instead of assuming there is none and going according to your own desires against his will...
    Usually the truth hurts for sinners who refuse to repent in their bad mistakes
    The bible has the story clearly written out why God does allow suffering, he does not agree with it but he doesnt stop it bc of an issue that needs to be proven to the angels and the creation on earth...

I used to hear that thing about suffering in the Baptist church I went to when I lived back east. It's interesting but it never made much sense to me. If it's true, it might indicate that God has some cognitive dissonance issues. But who knows?

I saw a billboard one time up in Washington State that sort of inspired me to write this little song (the idea being that Jesus is what ever you want him to be):

Billboard Jesus

Jesus was a logger-dude
    He worked out in the woods
    Wore flannel shirts with halos ‘round
    The ankles of his boots.

Jesus was a lager-dude
    Turned water into beer
    When loaves and fishes weren’t enough
    He’d go out and shoot a deer

Jesus was a lodger, dude,
    He stayed in a motel
    Just down the road from Maggie’s bar
    Where drifters came and went from hell

Logger Dude
    Logger Dude
    Logger Dude
    Logger Dude

Jesus was dodger, dude
    He skipped right out of town
    With three nails in his leather vest
    And a rusted thorny crown.

Jesus signed off, “Roger, Dude,”
    When he headed on for home.
    Slammed two whiskeys, kicked it in
    And throttled down the road.

Logger Dude
    Logger Dude
    Logger Dude
    Logger Dude

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    edited June 2014
    brianlux... that song is mint. hahahaha. It may get worked into my campfire routines. Just mint. Hail Hail no god. It's all made up - this whole "believe in God" stuff. It's a human made belief. Sharks don't believe in god. Galaxy M80 doesn't believe in god. Just cray cray humans that believe what others told em in books & sermons. I was baptized and confirmed by the way. Some people get so brain washed (even people I love dearly) but hey - as long as they aren't hurting me or anyone else, people can believe whatever they want. Just please know that you're wrong. haha. There's no devil, no angel, none of that junk. They've become figures of speech in my day to day language, no doubt. But they aren't anything more than man made "stuff" to talk about and incidentally, talking about such made up stuff can get people in a real tissy.
    I respect those that believe, but just a little less than I respect those that know what's real, like the song "Even Flow" or Justin Beiber's crazy lifestyle or a calculator. The connection and peace I feel in nature (I love to hunt and fish and spending time outdoors is awesome) isn't something I should thank god for. I thank my dad for showing me the outdoors. The outdoors don't believe in god. Again, it's just a man made thing, this concept of gods. Muslim gods, Greek gods, ancient, gods, blah blah blah..... so much blah. So much brain washing. I've said my peace. But like I said, I (and a shit ton of people) use words like "god", "pray", "heaven" and other totally man made words like that, just as figures of speech. Thank god I'm done typing. It feels like heaven that I can just shut this off at any moment. I am PRAYING so hard to get lucky when I go home. boom. This confirmed baptized boy it out. shiiiiiiiiiiiiit I mean no disrespect to believer's or people that just hate my rambling. kiss my arse 3:-O

ps. brianlux, I'm not kidding. I'll send the cheque in the mail, god willing.
    Post edited by evsgjamm on
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    edited June 2014
    God is a man-made fairytale that people believe in and even kill and/or for. It's pretty crazy. Probably the strangest thing about human society.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    evsgjamm said:

brianlux... that song is mint. hahahaha. It may get worked into my campfire routines. Just mint. Hail Hail no god. It's all made up - this whole "believe in God" stuff. It's a human made belief. Sharks don't believe in god. Galaxy M80 doesn't believe in god. Just cray cray humans that believe what others told em in books & sermons. I was baptized and confirmed by the way. Some people get so brain washed (even people I love dearly) but hey - as long as they aren't hurting me or anyone else, people can believe whatever they want. Just please know that you're wrong. haha. There's no devil, no angel, none of that junk. They've become figures of speech in my day to day language, no doubt. But they aren't anything more than man made "stuff" to talk about and incidentally, talking about such made up stuff can get people in a real tissy.
    I respect those that believe, but just a little less than I respect those that know what's real, like the song "Even Flow" or Justin Beiber's crazy lifestyle or a calculator. The connection and peace I feel in nature (I love to hunt and fish and spending time outdoors is awesome) isn't something I should thank god for. I thank my dad for showing me the outdoors. The outdoors don't believe in god. Again, it's just a man made thing, this concept of gods. Muslim gods, Greek gods, ancient, gods, blah blah blah..... so much blah. So much brain washing. I've said my peace. But like I said, I (and a shit ton of people) use words like "god", "pray", "heaven" and other totally man made words like that, just as figures of speech. Thank god I'm done typing. It feels like heaven that I can just shut this off at any moment. I am PRAYING so hard to get lucky when I go home. boom. This confirmed baptized boy it out. shiiiiiiiiiiiiit I mean no disrespect to believer's or people that just hate my rambling. kiss my arse 3:-O

ps. brianlux, I'm not kidding. I'll send the cheque in the mail, god willing.

Priceless, evsgjamm! Not my song, your cool little ramble here. Long live the great outdoors! Or this: live longer in the great outdoors!

• Options
    I don't get the point in belittling those who do believe in (a) god. It's just as silly as those berating atheists.

"blah"...c'mon man. That's just rude. As is saying it's fine to believe as those need to...but "it's wrong"? By whose standards?

And this?

"I mean no disrespect to believer's or people that just hate my rambling. kiss my arse"

If this was heat of the moment, you excited in your posting, so be it. Hopefully upon reflecting you'll see how it might've been as offputting as the ramblings you don't care for.

Why always a divide? If living in and speaking with peace, how is that not good enough?

Simple respect. Otherwise, we're all fucked.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    yeaaaaaaaa we are all fucked anyways. I live a fucked life. Super happy, but fucked by all standards. Just doing the best I can. I was definitely in the heat of the moment, living too large on a positive vibe I think. Went. A little. Overboard.

There's no question this topic will never cease to exist. Insanity is rampant! haha. Just chill out k? Be happy with the haters and they'll be happy with the believers. It aint. no. thang. (but god is man made - that's a brainer to some)

Great song though eh? Such a great song.

See how I didn't say "no" in there... ahhhhhh I crack myself up. still totally in the heat of the moment. Mean no disrespect though.

Quick! To the Great Outdoors! Bring your guitars!! thank GOD we can just get up and leave whenever we want. HEAVEN!
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

• Options
    hedonist said:

I don't get the point in belittling those who do believe in (a) god. It's just as silly as those berating atheists.

"blah"...c'mon man. That's just rude. As is saying it's fine to believe as those need to...but "it's wrong"? By whose standards?

And this?

"I mean no disrespect to believer's or people that just hate my rambling. kiss my arse"

If this was heat of the moment, you excited in your posting, so be it. Hopefully upon reflecting you'll see how it might've been as offputting as the ramblings you don't care for.

Why always a divide? If living in and speaking with peace, how is that not good enough?

Simple respect. Otherwise, we're all fucked.

Truly, I agree that we should not belittle those who have faith in their God, go or gods or no god. It's those who profess to know something others or "should" or "ought" to know that are asking for a little razzing.

I just read this great book, The Heartsong of Charging Elk by James Welch, a book about an American Indian who is stranded in Marseilles, France after getting separated from fellow native actors in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. The character Charging Elk often beseeches his various gods, particularly Tatanka. A few times throughout the Story, Charging Elk attends Catholic services, having been asked to do so by people he has gotten to know. He is neither impressed by nor repulsed by this strange god and ritual and remains content to follow his own Lakota ways. That, to me, is the key- to follow one's own way without trying to convince others you know something they don't.

• Options
    Easier said than done. I'm generally pretty quiet about the issue, but sometimes my opinionated brain cells win over. Usually after I start reading how there is definitely god in people's lives, i get all grossed out and then I start thinking about all the junk I've seen recently. Like the group of people who send out two well-dressed (yet cheap) young boys to walk the streets in our towns and cities with little pamphlets; they go knocking door to door, annoying the hell out most people, just to see if they've allowed god into their lives. piss off with that shit. (oops - I've lost myself again)
    I'm sorry. forgive me. wait... I am forgiven ahhhh crap i'm doing it again.
    I think I'm healed.

ah shit.

logger jogger dodger roger lager ... there. I'm better.

• Options
    But the faithfulness in God is much stronger and wiser and is deserving..
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

But the faithfulness in God is much stronger and wiser and is deserving..

Can you please explain what you mean here?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Those who put faith in God and abide by his rules are the ones that survive the end of the world and are rewarded and I believe this...but everyone has a free choice to believe or not to, each to their own.