Options

The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• Options

I'm now reading that Trudeau was asked to be there by the band, so I will accept that I was wrong to criticize his being there (though I do maintain it would have been more appropriate for him to have attended one of the other concerts).

Good for you, Darth.

Respect for this post.

I'm watching it again right now. Hard not to be emotional. I blundered with the pvr. I shoulda recorded half hour past the scheduled end time. Missed the last tune.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Oh yeah...

If Harper had received an invite... he woulda said, "Hrumph. I will not be going to any... hip hop concert" while sitting in his smoking chair!

Kidding.

Sorta.
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,432

Oh yeah...

If Harper had received an invite... he woulda said, "Hrumph. I will not be going to any... hip hop concert" while sitting in his smoking chair!

Kidding.

Sorta.

Got a good chuckle out of me, at any rate, lol.

Thanks for the post above that one, sorry about your pvr, there was a link in another thread (on the porch) with the audio of the show. I'll be giving it a listen while going back and forth to appointments tomorrow, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    I think that the Jaws t-shirt is an inside joke (sic) about the looming doom that is coming to the man. My personal opinion only.

Somebody on here commented about how old he looks now, and I thought that when then started this tour. Chemo and other things will do that to you.

Missed the CBC show due to circumstances beyond my control. But have been catching up with it on youtube and having a personal party this weekend with a PVR.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    dignin said:
    Nice, I enjoyed when CBC originally aired and just enjoyed again, thanks for posting.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    TK-421TK-421 Posts: 14
    edited August 2016
    Like many people, I was unimpressed with the Trudeauness of the show, my skin began to crawl during the second reference and showing of him. Keep in mind though, Gord brought the attention to him. It was The Hip and Gord's night, I just wish it was ONLY about them....no celebrity sightings at the show and no politics involved. The only solace for me was that Ed's comments in Chicago seemed to garner more attention in the Canadian media than Justin being in attendance. Thanks Ed!
    Post edited by TK-421 on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,655
    edited August 2016

PJ Soul, I may be "sadly" cynical, but could you please try and see it from my point of view (and that of many others I suspect) for a moment. Can you not see how Trudeau's appearance could leave a sour taste in my mouth? How might you (and others) have reacted had it been Harper attending as PM, receiving the same response from Downie?

To get back on topic (since there's another thread for talking about the current PM), it was nice to see Ed's dedication of Light Years to Downie last night reported on the local news station today.

Nope. I think it's basically incredibly strange to feel that way, sorry, and no way in hell would I have criticized Harper if it had been him, no matter how stiff and out of place and clueless he would have been, hahaha. I would have assumed he was there because the event meant so much to Canadians so he wanted to be a part of it to show support for the national unity that it created. I might have even been pleasantly surprised. It makes sense Trudeau was there given his age and love for music, so no surprises there. I think it's fairly bizarre that this irked you (doubt Gord would have appreciated Harper being there as much though, lol).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder calls Gord Downie ‘very courageous’

http://globalnews.ca/news/2894822/pearl-jams-eddie-vedder-calls-gord-downie-very-courageous/

Seeing how much energy it took out of Downie, one can't help but agree. I liked his crack about the 2-sock scarf, and how it took him 28 years to figure that one out, lol.
    I agree he expended a lot of energy for that show, the 2 scarf sock crack was great...
    :lol: Loved that two-sock scarf! I really laughed about that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I'm now reading that Trudeau was asked to be there by the band, so I will accept that I was wrong to criticize his being there (though I do maintain it would have been more appropriate for him to have attended one of the other concerts).

Still crazy to me that you think he should have attended one of the other concerts instead. That seems like a really random and pointless desire, but I'm glad you've come around about the meaning of his attendance at the Kingston show. Anyone could tell that it meant a lot to people, including Trudeau. And by all accounts (besides yours), Trudeau's presence was warmly felt by fans.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Oh yeah...

Kidding.

Sorta.

Lol. He would have been like, "The Tragically who?" :lol:
    Btw, I read an ar5icle that listed some of what's on Trudeau's personal music Playlist like in iTunes or whatever he uses, and he has some pretty fine taste in music.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Oops fucked up a quote
  • Options
    Just happened to come across this now... since we're on the subject...

:lol:;)
  • Options
    Who cares whether Trudeau was there. The hip read a prepared statement that was approved by the PMO. Selfie taking-sunny ways wouldn't put himself in a situation to really be challenged.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Why are you saying it was a prepared and approved by the PM? Is that a guess or a fact?
    I feel like you just completely make shit up about Trudeau because you generally dislike him. The things you say about him really don't seem grounded in reality. They more seem like generic catch phrases from the list of catch phrases used for politicians one doesn't like.
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

Who cares whether Trudeau was there. The hip read a prepared statement that was approved by the PMO. Selfie taking-sunny ways wouldn't put himself in a situation to really be challenged.

Likely a courtesy on the part of Gord: "Hey... We were planning on saying this... What do you think?"

To which, "No problem" was the answer.
  • Options
    Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    Everyone has a right to discuss their political opinions, but I think there's a better place. This is kinda taking away from what was a very enjoyable thread. Just sayin :)
  • Options

Everyone has a right to discuss their political opinions, but I think there's a better place. This is kinda taking away from what was a very enjoyable thread. Just sayin :)

It'll get back there.
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    edited August 2016
    a review of the last show in kingston will follow but as i reviewed(and went to) all the other ontario shows here's the ottawa one

2nd last of the 7 ontario shows for me
    this was a stubhub ticket bought @ 3 times face value with no complaints
    we got in early. the line ups for merch and beer etc have all been bad on this tour
    people in my section were great+ upper level row a with lots of people standing up
    no tears at this show
    no major surprises on the setlist which was a first for the ontario shows
    still LOVE their mixing up of the opening and closing songs etc etc
    wheat kings and gus are the 2 highlights for me
    gord doing some painting with his pretend palette of paint and pretend canvas always a kick to watch

2016-08-18 - Ottawa Ontario
    01 Boots Or Hearts
    02 Blow At High Dough
    03 Opiated
    04 New Orleans Is Sinking
    05 In A World Possessed By The Human Mind
    06 Ocean Next
    07 What Blue
    08 Machine
    09 Summer's Killing Us
    10 Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
    11 If New Orleans Is Beat
    12 It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
    13 Greasy Jungle
    14 Nautical Disaster
    15 So Hard Done By
    16 Grace, Too
    17 Gift Shop
    18 Flamenco
    19 Springtime In Vienna
    20 Ahead By A Century
    -
    21 Courage
    22 Wheat Kings
    23 At The Hundredth Meridian
    -
    24 Bobcaygeon
    25 Poets
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Happily for me, Comcast carries CBC / CBUT as part of my cable package. It made watching the Olympics more enjoyable, and also game me the opportunity to catch this show. When I turned it on, my wife had only heard of The Hip, but didn't really know their music. I explained the circumstances of the tour and this particular show, and she was game to check it out. About half way into the show she couldn't look away. She was hooked. That was one of the most intense and emotional concerts I've ever seen. I forgot PJ was even playing that night, and didn't give it two thoughts. I was completely captivated. Talk about a range of emotions, from joy to sadness. Really glad I had the chance to experience it. Kudos to the CBC for broadcasting the show commercial free. I just can't imagine one of our national networks doing that.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    jeffbr said:

Happily for me, Comcast carries CBC / CBUT as part of my cable package. It made watching the Olympics more enjoyable, and also game me the opportunity to catch this show. When I turned it on, my wife had only heard of The Hip, but didn't really know their music. I explained the circumstances of the tour and this particular show, and she was game to check it out. About half way into the show she couldn't look away. She was hooked. That was one of the most intense and emotional concerts I've ever seen. I forgot PJ was even playing that night, and didn't give it two thoughts. I was completely captivated. Talk about a range of emotions, from joy to sadness. Really glad I had the chance to experience it. Kudos to the CBC for broadcasting the show commercial free. I just can't imagine one of our national networks doing that.

Good stuff Jeff. My wife wasn't into The Hip until she met me and I got her hooked.

She was also in and out of the room as I watched the final show....and eventually settled into it with a beer in hand after the first 5 or 6 songs.

My son who is almost 2 got to watch the first 10 songs or so, which is pretty special because he gets to watch almost no tv. We danced together for a song or two. Always assumed I would be able to take him to a Hip show once he got older so I was a little teary eyed that I got to share a few live songs with him....he will have no memory of it, but I will.

Hopefully in 10 years or so I can drag his ass to a PJ show!
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    dignin said:

jeffbr said:

Good stuff Jeff. My wife wasn't into The Hip until she met me and I got her hooked.

She was also in and out of the room as I watched the final show....and eventually settled into it with a beer in hand after the first 5 or 6 songs.

My son who is almost 2 got to watch the first 10 songs or so, which is pretty special because he gets to watch almost no tv. We danced together for a song or two. Always assumed I would be able to take him to a Hip show once he got older so I was a little teary eyed that I got to share a few live songs with him....he will have no memory of it, but I will.

Hopefully in 10 years or so I can drag his ass to a PJ show!
    That's great! While your son may not remember it, I'm sure it is planting seeds. He should be the perfect tour buddy in 10 years for PJ's first of many farewell tours!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I watched the last show outside camping in the Adirondack mountains. The stream and the sound (had it hooked up to a speaker) were really good.
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,499
    Just getting around to listening to the Kingston show and wow. Unreal.

And the video of Gord during Grace, Too. I don't even know how to comment on that.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

And the video of Gord during Grace, Too. I don't even know how to comment on that.

Some have a lot to say about it, lol, because there appears to be a debate going on about whether that was ALL 100% "real" or if it was at least part performance art. I actually think it was partly performance art myself. Of course all good art has some reality to it and feeling behind it, but that extreme overwrought thing he had going on? I think that was largely Gord being his wonderfully weird self doing a performance of extremely overwrought emotions as a way to artistically express his very real emotions. Doing that is right up Gord's alley, and I think much more likely than that just being a completely bare true expression of his feelings. And I am saying this in admiration btw. I absolutely love that Gord can and will do stuff like that. It's one of the things that makes him great.
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,499
    PJ_Soul said:

Some have a lot to say about it, lol, because there appears to be a debate going on about whether that was ALL 100% "real" or if it was at least part performance art. I actually think it was partly performance art myself. Of course all good art has some reality to it and feeling behind it, but that extreme overwrought thing he had going on? I think that was largely Gord being his wonderfully weird self doing a performance of extremely overwrought emotions as a way to artistically express his very real emotions. Doing that is right up Gord's alley, and I think much more likely than that just being a completely bare true expression of his feelings. And I am saying this in admiration btw. I absolutely love that Gord can and will do stuff like that. It's one of the things that makes him great.
    Thanks for input. I haven't been big enough of a fan (my fault) to know the true answer but either way it gave me chills.
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    PJ_Soul said:

agreed. he's always made that song(especially) an over the top live performance. i can't see gord performing it any other way. the song wouldn't have the same power/meaning if he just casually sang it.
    what comes through the most for me, with this nugget on this recent tour, is his intense passion in the delivery of it
    i've seen grace a whack of times on many other tours but nothing compares to the versions on this tour. imo
  • Options

• Options
  • Options
    Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    PJ_Soul said:

Agree 100%

whenever I talk to someone about the show they often bring up that moment and I hold back because I feel like I'm bursting their bubble. But I truly feel Gord is expressing the emotions of the girl in the song, not his own. Either way it was very powerful.