The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    incredible words by rheostatics dave bidini
    here's a snippit. but all a great read.
    "Only a handful of times in our history has a single event drawn us together."
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/fully-completely-the-hip-unites-us-all/article31459239/
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/tragically-hip-legacy-dave-bidini-1.3730006
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:

Just getting around to listening to the Kingston show and wow. Unreal.

And the video of Gord during Grace, Too. I don't even know how to comment on that.

Some have a lot to say about it, lol, because there appears to be a debate going on about whether that was ALL 100% "real" or if it was at least part performance art. I actually think it was partly performance art myself. Of course all good art has some reality to it and feeling behind it, but that extreme overwrought thing he had going on? I think that was largely Gord being his wonderfully weird self doing a performance of extremely overwrought emotions as a way to artistically express his very real emotions. Doing that is right up Gord's alley, and I think much more likely than that just being a completely bare true expression of his feelings. And I am saying this in admiration btw. I absolutely love that Gord can and will do stuff like that. It's one of the things that makes him great.
    I thought the same. He recovered too quickly after the last note for it to have not been performance art.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

PJ_Soul said:

Just getting around to listening to the Kingston show and wow. Unreal.

And the video of Gord during Grace, Too. I don't even know how to comment on that.

Some have a lot to say about it, lol, because there appears to be a debate going on about whether that was ALL 100% "real" or if it was at least part performance art. I actually think it was partly performance art myself. Of course all good art has some reality to it and feeling behind it, but that extreme overwrought thing he had going on? I think that was largely Gord being his wonderfully weird self doing a performance of extremely overwrought emotions as a way to artistically express his very real emotions. Doing that is right up Gord's alley, and I think much more likely than that just being a completely bare true expression of his feelings. And I am saying this in admiration btw. I absolutely love that Gord can and will do stuff like that. It's one of the things that makes him great.
    I thought the same. He recovered too quickly after the last note for it to have not been performance art.

Yeah, plus the fact that nobody actually sincerely acts like that in real life. :lol: I mean honestly, those who think that was all 100% real and spur of the moment personal emotion must have walked away thinking Gord is on the verge of a mental breakdown.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    not to mention that his band doesn't give a shit about him sobbing on stage.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Here's the 1995 SNL performances.......
    http://www.sonic1029.com/2016/06/02/14857/

Beautiful!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    all 17 of the Hip's studio and live albums have entered the Billboard 200. (not just sales, a change some years ago now includes a certain amount of tracked album streams also counts as "sales"). Crazy.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Here's the 1995 SNL performances.......

Beautiful!

THANK YOU!! I've been looking for the SNL "Nautical Disaster" performance to no avail. You've made my day :)
    Note to self: Don't die
    I just created a small spreadsheet of all their songs and cross referenced with my live show setlists. Out of 168 possible songs (or close to that), I've only been there for 70 unique ones plus one cover in 6 full shows. :bawling:

No songs from the EP.
    No songs from We Are The Same.
    Never heard Cordelia.
    Never heard So Hard Done By!!!
    Only two from In Violet Light.
    Fortunately, heard Nautical Disaster at 4 of those shows.
    Heard FIddler's Green once.
    Pigeon Camera twice.

Man, I should have gone to see them a lot more.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I just created a small spreadsheet of all their songs and cross referenced with my live show setlists. Out of 168 possible songs (or close to that), I've only been there for 70 unique ones plus one cover in 6 full shows. :bawling:

No songs from the EP.
    Never heard Cordelia.
    Pigeon Camera twice.

Ha ha

I got to see So Hard Done By
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027

Here's the 1995 SNL performances.......

Beautiful!

THANK YOU!! I've been looking for the SNL "Nautical Disaster" performance to no avail. You've made my day :)
    You're welcome!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit

I just created a small spreadsheet of all their songs and cross referenced with my live show setlists. Out of 168 possible songs (or close to that), I've only been there for 70 unique ones plus one cover in 6 full shows. :bawling:

No songs from the EP.
    Never heard Cordelia.
    Pigeon Camera twice.

Ha ha

that's for my Nautical Disaster comment, wasn't it? :wink:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I just created a small spreadsheet of all their songs and cross referenced with my live show setlists. Out of 168 possible songs (or close to that), I've only been there for 70 unique ones plus one cover in 6 full shows. :bawling:

No songs from the EP.
    Never heard Cordelia.
    Pigeon Camera twice.

Ha ha

that's for my Nautical Disaster comment, wasn't it? :wink:
    Mr. 4times!
  • Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430

No songs from the EP.
    Never heard Cordelia.
    Pigeon Camera twice.

Nice work putting your stats together Hugh! I totally have to do this.

I went to a show on the "We are the Same" tour. They were playing smaller venues and they were playing 4 shows in each city (Hint Hint PJ ;)) Anyway, for Calgary they played 3 shows at the Jubilee and then the 4th show was at the Eric Harvey theatre in Banff. Said to the wife "Fuck it, let's go to Banff" Lucky to get 2 tix, turns out it was about 1000 capacity and it was probably my favourite Hip show ever. During "The last Recluse" Gord walked about 10 rows deep into the audience standing on chairs and steadying himself by holding hands. Incredible moment during a breathtaking song.
  • i'm trying to gather all my words/thoughts for the last show and this tour but when gord said "have a nice life" after one of the encore sets in kingston ... i still can't get my head around that choice of words. seems so final to me. :(

i'm trying to gather all my words/thoughts for the last show and this tour but when gord said "have a nice life" after one of the encore sets in kingston ... i still can't get my head around that choice of words. seems so final to me. :(

yeah, I was surprised and sad to hear he said that. Cause at Toronto 3 he said "next time we play here....".
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Weird_HenryWeird_Henry Posts: 308
    edited September 2016
    I wish I could figure out how to post pics but since I can't...check out the below website if you haven't seen it. Some great stuff for sale, proceeds to Sunnybrooke.
    https://www.ingordwetrust.com/
    I purchased the black & white pic with the quote "I'll see you down the road somewhere". I much prefer Gord saying that to saying "have a nice life". Can't wait for it to arrive so I can get it framed and hung :)
    Post edited by Weird_Henry on
  • Weird_HenryWeird_Henry Posts: 308
    edited September 2016
    Post edited by Weird_Henry on
    shit, had I known there was a Gord painting based on a shot from the Winnipeg show, I would have jumped on it. Only 15? Damn.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I like that photo. I like that 50 goes to cancer research.

Hmmm.
  • PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, plus the fact that nobody actually sincerely acts like that in real life. :lol: I mean honestly, those who think that was all 100% real and spur of the moment personal emotion must have walked away thinking Gord is on the verge of a mental breakdown.

Yeah, I kept thinking "man, this brilliant bastard is going to be bringing all the feels to everyone across the country who doesn't know he's performing, and he's going to snap out of it like nothing happened" and he did, and laughed my ass off. What a man.

Another thanks to BIGDaddyWil for theSNL link. The "Nautical Disaster" video disappeared off YT and seemingly the rest of the internet about 6 years ago and I've been looking for it ever since.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    I will preface what I'm about to write with the fact that I would never consider myself a "fan" of the Hip. I have seen them only once in concert and I did know pretty much every song played on the 20th except for the new ones. When my brother in law asked if we should try and get tickets to the last shows here in Toronto or even Kingston - my immediate response was that I felt someone like me shouldn't be there. Kind of like if PJ were doing a farewell show - I felt the true fans should be the ones there saying goodbye and celebrating their music, which in retrospect, has aged much better than most bands I've listened too.

This tour, that last show - showed me what Canada could be ... what we, as a nation, could be about. It started with Ron Maclean interviewing Trudeau and talking about how he, as a child in the Yukon, remembered the moment P. Trudeau received the nomination for the Liberal Party to run as PM. He uttered the two words that I believe to be what we should be aspiring to - a Just Society.

I've lost connection with this country for a while now. I haven't believed in Canada for a long time and the past 2 decades, especially under Mike Harris in Ontario and Harper have disassociated me completely. We have become, more and more narcissistic, self-serving, ignorant and divided. People's positions on issues are dictated not by thinking critically about the topic but by grandiose headlines and sound bytes provided by people who are paid to render us stupid. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in Utopia - there is no such thing as perfection and I don't expect us all to agree on everything. What it boils down to is who we are as a people, as a nation? Do we believe in a Just Society anymore? We used to be a nation that produced our Charter of Rights and Freedoms. I don't think we could make that document today.

So, with the nation watching and arguably the biggest stage anyone in Canada could hope for - Gord Downie chose to challenge us to be Just in the face of our failures, in particular our First Nations. It was a glimmer of what I would hope for us ... as a country and as a people. For that one night and for a few days after - I felt better about us. I don't know how long it will last but I now know where I might start to look for hope in the future.
    polaris_x said:

I will preface what I'm about to write with the fact that I would never consider myself a "fan" of the Hip. I have seen them only once in concert and I did know pretty much every song played on the 20th except for the new ones. When my brother in law asked if we should try and get tickets to the last shows here in Toronto or even Kingston - my immediate response was that I felt someone like me shouldn't be there. Kind of like if PJ were doing a farewell show - I felt the true fans should be the ones there saying goodbye and celebrating their music, which in retrospect, has aged much better than most bands I've listened too.

This tour, that last show - showed me what Canada could be ... what we, as a nation, could be about. It started with Ron Maclean interviewing Trudeau and talking about how he, as a child in the Yukon, remembered the moment P. Trudeau received the nomination for the Liberal Party to run as PM. He uttered the two words that I believe to be what we should be aspiring to - a Just Society.

I've lost connection with this country for a while now. I haven't believed in Canada for a long time and the past 2 decades, especially under Mike Harris in Ontario and Harper have disassociated me completely. We have become, more and more narcissistic, self-serving, ignorant and divided. People's positions on issues are dictated not by thinking critically about the topic but by grandiose headlines and sound bytes provided by people who are paid to render us stupid. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in Utopia - there is no such thing as perfection and I don't expect us all to agree on everything. What it boils down to is who we are as a people, as a nation? Do we believe in a Just Society anymore? We used to be a nation that produced our Charter of Rights and Freedoms. I don't think we could make that document today.

So, with the nation watching and arguably the biggest stage anyone in Canada could hope for - Gord Downie chose to challenge us to be Just in the face of our failures, in particular our First Nations. It was a glimmer of what I would hope for us ... as a country and as a people. For that one night and for a few days after - I felt better about us. I don't know how long it will last but I now know where I might start to look for hope in the future.

it's crazy that people are criticizing Gord for doing that, for "politicizing" the last show. I think it was incredibly selfless of him to do so. And I'm so glad we had a PM we can be proud of to have been the one to give them a send off they are worthy of.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

polaris_x said:

it's crazy that people are criticizing Gord for doing that, for "politicizing" the last show. I think it was incredibly selfless of him to do so. And I'm so glad we had a PM we can be proud of to have been the one to give them a send off they are worthy of.
    it's those people that make me sad for us ...
    saw an ad on facebook for the first 4 hip albums on vinyl for $92.99 for all 4. musicvaultz or something.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• polaris_x said:

nice stuff here. i agree. the tour & broadcast was such a powerful moment for us Canadians to rise up again. i also feel, like gord, we have the right guy now to do it. addressing the first nation's issues is a def step in the right direction. way way overdue. gord has always been on that issue, among others(water keepers etc).
    here's gord's new project link. all related. so is the song/video re the now for plan a song called Goodnight Attawapiskat
    http://www.secretpath.ca/
    "we are not the country we think we are"
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Just watched the movie Jumper.
    Was pleasantly surprised that Ahead by a Century is played in it.
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• September seventeen
    For a girl I know it's Mother's Day...