The Tragically Hip!!!!

maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
edited June 2009 in Other Music
To all my American friends out there, take a listen to Canada's equivalent of Pearl Jam, the Tragically Hip.....u will not b disappointed!!! Catch them live, on tour now!!!!!
'93 Toronto
'94 Detroit
'10 Columbus
'11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
'13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
'14 Detroit
'16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
'18 Chicago 1 and 2
'22 Hamilton, Toronto
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,054
    Please don't say Tragically Hip is equivalent to Pearl Jam! They are NOTHING live compared to Pearl Jam, and don't even come CLOSE to their studio works.
  • try putting this band in the other music forum where it belongs, if you can call it music.
    7/28/1992 Lollapalooza Cincinnati, 9/22/1996 Toledo, 8/20/2000 Cincinnati, 6/24/2006 Cincinnati, 8/5/2007 Lollapalooza Chicago @ Grant Park, EV solo 8/21/2008 Chicago @ Auditorium Theater
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,924
    demetrios wrote:
    Please don't say Tragically Hip is equivalent to Pearl Jam! They are NOTHING live compared to Pearl Jam, and don't even come CLOSE to their studio works.
    Agreed. The opposite happened for me with the Hip as what happened with Pearl Jam: with PJ, I liked them at first, and seeing them live was a big time eye-opener, I LOVED the show. I saw the Hip last week at Massey Hall, with 7th row tickets, and was incredibly disappointed. I thought they were mediocre at best. And the crowd were a bunch of losers, no offense if there are any big Hip fans here :lol:
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    demetrios wrote:
    The Hip are a GREAT live band. They aren't in the same category as Pearl Jam, but no one is :)
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • DB41DB41 Posts: 539
    benjs wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    Agreed. The opposite happened for me with the Hip as what happened with Pearl Jam: with PJ, I liked them at first, and seeing them live was a big time eye-opener, I LOVED the show. I saw the Hip last week at Massey Hall, with 7th row tickets, and was incredibly disappointed. I thought they were mediocre at best. And the crowd were a bunch of losers, no offense if there are any big Hip fans here :lol:

Ya I heard those shows were shit. This may be the first time they've gotten bad reviews as far back as I can remember.
    I did see them at the Phoenix last year though and it was pretty darn good.
  • gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    Whoa - the hip certainly rivals PJ live. Gords improv far outdoes Eddie, and the band is tight. [PJ is still my favourite band, but for someone to say the Hip is boring - were you asleep? Gord and Bobby Baker are incredible.

The Massey Hall setlists weren't as varied as they could have been but they did alright - Tuesday the 12th was the highlight.
  • Well, I'm going to TWO hip shows here in Winnipeg. I love them almost as much as PJ! I'm hoping they will be better in a smaller venue like the concert hall.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Where do i start with this band. Someone tell me some albums!
  • Just listen to Yer Favorites, the greatest hits album.
    gibbits wrote:
    Whoa - the hip certainly rivals PJ live. Gords improv far outdoes Eddie, and the band is tight. [PJ is still my favourite band, but for someone to say the Hip is boring - were you asleep? Gord and Bobby Baker are incredible.

The Massey Hall setlists weren't as varied as they could have been but they did alright - Tuesday the 12th was the highlight.
    I found Gord's stage antics very strange... I'm sorry, but having a sweating problem does not justify using a rag as a prop, wiping your sweat constantly, and throwing it into the crowd. If Eddie threw a sweaty rag at me - I'd probably throw it back. That's just gross. Also, I did find the band's playing uninspired. I was off a bit to the side, so didn't see as much of the bassist, but the drums were very weak, and the guitar was soulless.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs wrote:
    And the crowd were a bunch of losers, no offense if there are any big Hip fans here :lol:
    I saw them twice in Kitchener at the end of April and both nights the crowd left me VERY disappointed. I was second row for one of the shows and the entire first two rows with the exception of maybe 5 or 6 people were SITTING DOWN for the entire show! Not even "Grace, too" got them out of their seats. It was pathetic, especially if you are used to Pearl Jam crowds! :)

As for the comments about the Massey Hall shows ~ I read a statistic about how much they varied up the setlists and they varied them much more than even Pearl Jam do. That is what impressed me most about the 2 Kitchener shows I saw (and the setlist to the one I missed). Only 4 or 5 of the 24 or so songs the second show were repeats from the first.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • BlackThirteenBlackThirteen Posts: 423
    maynardsux wrote:
    To all my American friends out there, take a listen to Canada's equivalent of Pearl Jam, the Tragically Hip.....u will not b disappointed!!! Catch them live, on tour now!!!!!

welcome to the boards. This really belongs in the other music board. But since you're a noob I guess you can have a free pass.

Anyway I saw the hip at nokia theater and really liked them.
    there is one thing that i liked what the hip's gord has done in music. when he played with the sadies, on cbc radio 1. where they covered iggy pop's search & destroy. must say, that was pretty sweet cover. but the rest of the show was, boring!
  • AnimalCh1nAnimalCh1n Posts: 83
    I was at the Saturday Massey Hall show, and it was pretty great as far as I am concerned. I totally gained a new appreciation for their new album. They played a huge variety of stuff, broke it down for a very chill return from the intermission, and Gord's antics and dancing were just one of the highlights for me. His in between song banter was not overdone, and helped the whole evening have a story...and a sense of flow. The band was especially tight, and I have to disagree about the drums and guitar being a sore spot. I actually noticed the drums as being especially good. I also thought the keys were a great addition, and added a lot to old classics like New Orleans is Sinking.

I highly recommend making it out to one of their shows, it is very worthwhile.
    Barrie, Ontario 08-05-1992 x Toronto, Ontario 08-18-1993
    Barrie, Ontario 08-22-1998 x Toronto, Ontario 10-05-2000
    Toronto, Ontario 09-19-2005 x Toronto, Ontario 05-10-2006
    Toronto, Ontario 08-13-2008 (Ed Solo) x Toronto, Ontario 08-21-2009
    Toronto, Ontario 09-11-2011 x Chicago, IL 07-19-2013
    Buffalo, NY 10-12-2013 x Ottawa, Ontario 05-08-2016
    Ottawa, Ontario 09-03-2022
    AnimalCh1n wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:
    demetrios wrote:
    AnimalCh1n wrote:

Why the hate?
    BeerBaron wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    AnimalCh1n wrote:

Why the hate?

this is pearl jam board, not a hip board. i've seen 'the hip' a few times, one being a sleeper set when they opened for the rolling stones in moncton. i just find it funny this band get's so much air time play then many talented bands out there.

tragically hip ... thumbdown.gif
    Agreed. Catchy songs that all sound basically the same, is what I noticed at the show.

EV
    demetrios wrote:

this is pearl jam board, not a hip board. i've seen 'the hip' a few times, one being a sleeper set when they opened for the rolling stones in moncton. i just find it funny this band get's so much air time play then many talented bands out there.

Fair enough. You are certainly entitled to an opinion.

And this thread does need to be moved to the other music forum :)
    BeerBaron wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

Fair enough. You are certainly entitled to an opinion.

And this thread does need to be moved to the other music forum :)

yep! :)
  • AnimalCh1nAnimalCh1n Posts: 83
    benjs wrote:
    Agreed. Catchy songs that all sound basically the same, is what I noticed at the show.

funny. they are a band that - while having some similar sounds throughout - have demonstrated a willingness to develop new and interesting styles consistently. From their beginnings as a nice straight-up rock band to their more mature efforts on Fully Completely, to the drastically different Day for Night...and it goes on...that is only about half way through their catalogue. They have definitely been unafraid to try new things...and that includes their latest effort. You can not like them, and that is fine - but to say they have ''catchy songs that sound the same'' is just not true.

And, demetrios...there are a lot of great bands for sure...but at this point it is like asking why any extremely popular Canadian talent gets a lot of airplay...it is because they have a large following. They have a large following because they are talented - even if you don't dig it, you have to admit it. I have only seen them twice - a couple weeks ago, and about 12-14 years ago. Both times I was very impressed...and both were in very different venues - huge outdoor venue and Massey Hall.
    Barrie, Ontario 08-05-1992 x Toronto, Ontario 08-18-1993
    Barrie, Ontario 08-22-1998 x Toronto, Ontario 10-05-2000
    Toronto, Ontario 09-19-2005 x Toronto, Ontario 05-10-2006
    Toronto, Ontario 08-13-2008 (Ed Solo) x Toronto, Ontario 08-21-2009
    Toronto, Ontario 09-11-2011 x Chicago, IL 07-19-2013
    Buffalo, NY 10-12-2013 x Ottawa, Ontario 05-08-2016
    Ottawa, Ontario 09-03-2022
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    demetrios wrote:

You're nuts. The Hip easily rival PJ's live show, and their albums compare pretty well to PJ. Both have their weaker albums with plenty of misses, both have moments of shee genius. And both have the rowdiest, rockingest live shows out there.
  • EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Where do i start with this band. Someone tell me some albums!

dude Fully Completely and Day for Night are the places to start.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    interesting this whole HIp thing with this new board. On the old board the tragically hip thread, was THE longest running thread about another band. whenever they get mentioned on this board, the haters come out. strange.

IMHO, the hip do rival pearl jam shows for me. they are both different experiences but both amazing live bands. id give the edge to pearl jam on a few things and give the edge to the hip on others.

and i've got to say, benjs "Catchy songs that all sound basically the same"? you could not be further from the truth with these guys.

worthless, day for night is THE best. Gord's writing is much more organic than Ed and pearl jams a whole. Gord is constantly writing about natural things and nature and telling GREAT stories.

I've got 5 shows coming up within the month, that'll put me at 17. so maybe im biased. i like the way the setlists are looking, but yeah the massey hall ones were just okay.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
    demetrios wrote:

You're nuts. The Hip easily rival PJ's live show, and their albums compare pretty well to PJ. Both have their weaker albums with plenty of misses, both have moments of shee genius. And both have the rowdiest, rockingest live shows out there.
    Good to see an American standing up for the Hip :)

Are you going to the two shows at the Vic this week?
    BeerBaron wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

Good to see an American standing up for the Hip :)

Are you going to the two shows at the Vic this week?

No :( I moved out of Chicago this week... I miss it already. Toledo Ohio can't compare. I am going to see them in Detroit this weekend though. I couldn't afford 2 shows though, so I'm only going one night.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Just listened to Fully Completely and Day For The Night. They seem alright, digging the guys voice more and more, reminds me of Live and Our Lady Peace.

Any other records i should check out?
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Just listened to Fully Completely and Day For The Night. They seem alright, digging the guys voice more and more, reminds me of Live and Our Lady Peace.

Any other records i should check out?

Phantom Power is my personal favorite and the album that I heard first and got me hooked... might want to give that one a spin!
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,250
    The Tragically Hip are as good as Pearl Jam. There, I said it.

These 2 bands have more in common than not.
    # 1 would be the rotating setlists
    # 2 they treat their fans with Respect
    # 3 their music rocks
    # 4 their live shows are incredible
    # 5 two great lead singers
    # 6 Gord has as many good lines/lyrics as Eddie does(both absolutely brilliant!)
    I'm sure I'm missing some others...

Gotta agree that their songs simply don't all sound the same, just like PJ!

Finally...Trouble At The Henhouse is THE ONE for me

The new cd/shows are killer+
  • Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    edited May 2009
    I hated the Hip in high school. Mostly because they were so wildly popular with the jock crowd and, being the angst-ridden teenage anti-jock, was against anything remotely popular (how very different I was :lol: ) I justified my hatred by saying that all they ever wrote about was Canada...as if that was a reason to hate them. :roll:

As an adult, I love them. Honestly they write really good songs and great music. But I've seen some live footage, and Gords stories seem off-putting somehow.
    Post edited by Cinnamon Girl on
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,