Options

The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Wonder what the chances are of rousting up a bar in Chicago that'll show the Kingston show. Hard to believe that PJ Wrigley is getting overshadowed that day (well to Canadians anyway).
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    Coming back from the show. Incredible. Grace Too at the end was fucking intense.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    The show last night was pretty great. It did feel like the setlist was a little uneven though. Gord looked and sounded terrific. It was a nice celebration and got very heavy at the end. Gord's body language, facial expression, and voice towards the end of Grace, Too was.... heavy and intense. Was an amazing, but incredibly sad moment.

The show did seem to end rather abruptly, they don't really do the houselights thing. I really thought they were going to close with Courage or 50 Mission Cap. It seemed like a lot of fans also thought it wasnt over. After Gord took his final 'bow', people remained at their seats... then the lights went on and everyone scattered. I wish there was more of a 'defined' goodbye. We were faked out a few times with goodbyes/encore breaks. I think the send off could have/should have been more raucous/touching.

I dug the songs of Man Machine Poem for the most part.
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179

But now...man, i heard the news on the one Gord and that is a...yeah. His attitude, though?? Like, basically, "Fuck it, lets go tour once more!" How can that not give you goosebumps? I can't imagine the range of emotions going through the fanbase at these shows. Like, if this were Pearl Jam and any of their members...i'd probably be in tears for the entirety of the show.

But yeah...I'm a total casual united states fan, but dammit, that one album has given me 100s of playthroughs overs 20 years and God bless The Hip for it.

thanks for that story oh bearded one. agree. fully completely is a great
    courage for gord indeed. i can't imagine how tough/rewarding this tour is for gord. to go out on top like this. playing shows that i would consider their best ever. every show sold out. love is everywhere. so proud of gord.

• Options
    I liked Bearded's story too.
  • Options
    the last of the 3 toronto shows. hamilton tomorrow night.
    nice to get some love for now for plan a
    especially nice to finally hear long time running and ending the show with grace has started the speculation that this song is definitely worthy of being the last song played this saturday night in kingston.
    2016-08-14 - Toronto, Ontario
    1. Blow at High Dough
    2. New Orleans is Sinking
    3. Opiated
    4. Boots or Hearts
    5. Machine
    6. What Blue
    7. Ocean Next
    8. In a World Possessed by the Human Mind
    9. Streets Ahead
    10. We Want to Be It
    11. Man Machine Poem
    12. At Transformation
    13. Gift Shop
    14. Flamenco
    15. Springtime in Vienna
    16. Ahead by a Century
    17. The Last of the Unplucked Gems
    18. Three Pistols
    19. Twist My Arm
    20. Long Time Running
    21. Little Bones
    22. Escape is at Hand for the Travellin' Man
    23. Poets
    24. Bobcaygeon
    25. Daredevil
    26. Grace Too
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831

I tell this story, my Tragically Hip story, every PJ Board since 1998 or so, and i don't think i've told it on this board, and i don't think anyone cares,lol.. but eh... i like retelling it.

It's summer 1996...The Black Crowes are coming to town and, well, it's 1996--you have to camp out for tix!

Now I live a solid 45-60 minutes west of Detroit, depending on how fast you drive. There are about a dozen or so of us in line at our ticketmaster out in the suburbs. They're running a ticket lottery for placement for this show cause, you know, the Crowes sell out fast. Well the guy who wins...is a dude from Toronto, who is in town for a wedding.

He's not here for Crowes tickets, no. He starts spinning some tale of a band called the Tragically Hip...how huge they are in Canada. He tells us they are lined around Maple Leaf Gardens twice just for wristbands for a chance at tickets to their show there.

He's not sure he can get Hip tickets here in Michigan for this. The people who at the store aren't sure either. So we wait. And as we wait, he evangelizes how great they are for the half hour between the lottery draw and tix going on sale. 30 minutes might not seem like a lot..but try talking for 30 minutes straight on one subject and see how much you can actually convey in that time!

10am hits..he's first in line...and the s.o.b. jumps all the wristband people in Toronto and gets tickets,lol. Good on him. Me? we get tickets, the Crowes....usually awesome...Chris seemed a bit too fucked up that show, but thats here nor there for this thread.

Fast forward to the point of this thread...the Hip. I'm at a record store a couple weeks later...and all this dude's talking them up has me in front of their albums at the store. One problem---I don't know which to buy! So....i go with the album that has the little sticker on it with the most "hit songs included"....Fully Completely.

So i pop it into my CD player...and briefly look through the liner notes and do you want to know my first thought. My first honest-to-God reaction?

They have TWO guys named Gord?? wtf, Canada....

I put it in...I listen. I'm not impressed. You know how it is. I'm sure this has happened to all of you with some/many bands over the years. But this album...just sounded bare, instrumentally, i don't know. It still does, really.

But i was younger...like 19 at the time. And NHL '97 came out soon on the PS1. And i played a season of it. And Fully Completely was put in my rotation while i was playing it. And it started getting more and more play.

And i found out...i really like that album. Like, really really like it.

Courage-great! Looking for a place to happen...great! Hundreth meridian--don't know who Ry Cooder or Rye Cooper is, but that song is great and he could sing MY eulogy! Locked in the Trunk.....that was a "sticker song," featured on it.... kinda goofy, all those "let me outs!" but fun! The title track is great....(the whole album is, i know i skipped a couple and will probably again)...but my favoirte then..and probably now still is Fifty Mission Cap. Why? I don't know! It sounds like an amaaaaaazing hockey story. And if you/I go back to when this took place... 1996-97... my Detroit team...well, that was magical era for Hockey. Hey, Toronto.... You're going to win one again. It's going to be so great when you do, too. I'll be happy for you. Even though we were mortal enemies the last time we were in the same conference....I dunno..i'm older now. We've had some titles, they're great. I hope you get to feel that feeling!

Wheat Kings....ehhh-- in my head, this feels like it's probably a hit radio song...i just never could get into it. It's probably my one skip if i skip a song, though i probably wouldn't. And El Dorado was super catchy last track.

Bottom line.. this album grew on me big. i still listen to it a few times a year. I've tried a few other albums...they don't stick. I think Fully Completely was a time and place for me, even if it was 4 years after it's release, lol. But thats ok! I put this on at work sometimes and people are like "what the heck...." and i'm like, "hey, i like this!"

But now...man, i heard the news on the one Gord and that is a...yeah. His attitude, though?? Like, basically, "Fuck it, lets go tour once more!" How can that not give you goosebumps? I can't imagine the range of emotions going through the fanbase at these shows. Like, if this were Pearl Jam and any of their members...i'd probably be in tears for the entirety of the show.

But yeah...I'm a total casual united states fan, but dammit, that one album has given me 100s of playthroughs overs 20 years and God bless The Hip for it.

at the Winnipeg show I was in tears from the moment they walked on until about the 4th or 5th song. I just couldn't fucking stop. Only other band to do that to me? Pearl Jam.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    interesting that they have played nothing off their EP. Highway Girl would be insane.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    anyone think they might do something special for the last show in Kingston? like maybe bring out their saxophonist (their original 5th member before Paul Langlois joined) and play a really old song or two? or a special guest of some kind?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2016
    no idea how kingston will roll out. indeed it would be sure cool if they covered something on that ep ! small town bringdown!
    in some ways i don't want a ton of special guests for kingston. i wouldn't mind a nice intro from don cherry or ron maclean or bubbles or ricky or julien or?
    the stats are in re the 3 TO shows and YUP this is their greatest/best tour ever for that hard cores freaks ;)
    Toronto Stats
    3 shows, 76 songs played, 53 different songs played
  • Options

no idea how kingston will roll out. indeed it would be sure cool if they covered something on that ep ! small town bringdown!
    in some ways i don't want a ton of special guests for kingston. i wouldn't mind a nice intro from don cherry or ron maclean or bubbles or ricky or julien or?
    the stats are in re the 3 TO shows and YUP this is their greatest/best tour ever for that hard cores freaks ;)
    Toronto Stats
    3 shows, 76 songs played, 53 different songs played

that is fantastic. rivals PJ tours.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    this was pretty powerful. Especially after about 3:45
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbRDMonub5o
  • Options
    mayday10. powerful and intense indeed.especially as a show ending song(also the last of the 3 TO shows)
    i believe at times it's like gord is playing in character but then it's soooo close to being too real...i still don't know if he's venting or overly emotional or? i will say this for sure...it's full of intense passion/emotions
    hamilton show tonight. the tour is almost over.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940

Wow. Can't imagine what this must be like to see...saying goodbye to the frontman of your band? Seeing them perform one last time? What the fuck

I'm a hip from new york, long Island to be exact and these vids on youtube are just so sad to watch.

I tell this story, my Tragically Hip story, every PJ Board since 1998 or so, and i don't think i've told it on this board, and i don't think anyone cares,lol.. but eh... i like retelling it.

It's summer 1996...The Black Crowes are coming to town and, well, it's 1996--you have to camp out for tix!

Now I live a solid 45-60 minutes west of Detroit, depending on how fast you drive. There are about a dozen or so of us in line at our ticketmaster out in the suburbs. They're running a ticket lottery for placement for this show cause, you know, the Crowes sell out fast. Well the guy who wins...is a dude from Toronto, who is in town for a wedding.

He's not here for Crowes tickets, no. He starts spinning some tale of a band called the Tragically Hip...how huge they are in Canada. He tells us they are lined around Maple Leaf Gardens twice just for wristbands for a chance at tickets to their show there.

He's not sure he can get Hip tickets here in Michigan for this. The people who at the store aren't sure either. So we wait. And as we wait, he evangelizes how great they are for the half hour between the lottery draw and tix going on sale. 30 minutes might not seem like a lot..but try talking for 30 minutes straight on one subject and see how much you can actually convey in that time!

10am hits..he's first in line...and the s.o.b. jumps all the wristband people in Toronto and gets tickets,lol. Good on him. Me? we get tickets, the Crowes....usually awesome...Chris seemed a bit too fucked up that show, but thats here nor there for this thread.

Fast forward to the point of this thread...the Hip. I'm at a record store a couple weeks later...and all this dude's talking them up has me in front of their albums at the store. One problem---I don't know which to buy! So....i go with the album that has the little sticker on it with the most "hit songs included"....Fully Completely.

So i pop it into my CD player...and briefly look through the liner notes and do you want to know my first thought. My first honest-to-God reaction?

They have TWO guys named Gord?? wtf, Canada....

I put it in...I listen. I'm not impressed. You know how it is. I'm sure this has happened to all of you with some/many bands over the years. But this album...just sounded bare, instrumentally, i don't know. It still does, really.

But i was younger...like 19 at the time. And NHL '97 came out soon on the PS1. And i played a season of it. And Fully Completely was put in my rotation while i was playing it. And it started getting more and more play.

And i found out...i really like that album. Like, really really like it.

Courage-great! Looking for a place to happen...great! Hundreth meridian--don't know who Ry Cooder or Rye Cooper is, but that song is great and he could sing MY eulogy! Locked in the Trunk.....that was a "sticker song," featured on it.... kinda goofy, all those "let me outs!" but fun! The title track is great....(the whole album is, i know i skipped a couple and will probably again)...but my favoirte then..and probably now still is Fifty Mission Cap. Why? I don't know! It sounds like an amaaaaaazing hockey story. And if you/I go back to when this took place... 1996-97... my Detroit team...well, that was magical era for Hockey. Hey, Toronto.... You're going to win one again. It's going to be so great when you do, too. I'll be happy for you. Even though we were mortal enemies the last time we were in the same conference....I dunno..i'm older now. We've had some titles, they're great. I hope you get to feel that feeling!

Wheat Kings....ehhh-- in my head, this feels like it's probably a hit radio song...i just never could get into it. It's probably my one skip if i skip a song, though i probably wouldn't. And El Dorado was super catchy last track.

Bottom line.. this album grew on me big. i still listen to it a few times a year. I've tried a few other albums...they don't stick. I think Fully Completely was a time and place for me, even if it was 4 years after it's release, lol. But thats ok! I put this on at work sometimes and people are like "what the heck...." and i'm like, "hey, i like this!"

Awesome story
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

Wow.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    I do't know how the hell I'm going to keep it together tonight in Hamilton...
  • Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    edited August 2016
    still looking for leads on 2 tickets for tonight in Hamilton (not at an inflated scalper rate)....thanks for the help!
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options

still looking for leads on 2 tickets for tonight in Hamilton (not at an inflated scalper rate)....thanks for the help!

if you are in the line up for the box office release of extra tickets now that would help your chances ;)
    good luck!!

• Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    i've got a 3 hr drive ahead of me......hearing good things about the box office before the show....may take a chance!
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options
    zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    edited August 2016
    Post edited by zarocat on
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: Noblesville 
  • Options
    Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    MayDay10 said:

I've seen Grace Too a number times and the last time for me (Calgary 1) was easily the most intense. I swear Gord is somewhere else when he is singing that song. I've never seen him scream so intensely and the crowd got insanely loud at the same time. It was defiantly the highlight of that night for me.
  • Options
    finally world container night! family band THE highlight
    in sarnia off the cart perfect this time
    shed tears pretty much through all of grace and scared. grace once again over the top
    the emotional peak is building momentum as the tour continues and comes to a close this saturday
    i'm still hoping for a TO NYE show this year so i'm not gonna say "goodbye" in kingston
    all ontario tickets secured at face value other than ottawa
    twist my arm is a great show closer
    people waving white hankies for gord
    courage for gord

2016-08-16 - Hamilton, Ontario
    1. At The Hundredth Meridian
    2. Courage
    3. Eldorado
    4. Fifty Mission Cap

5. In A World Possessed By The Human Mind
    6. What Blue
    7. In Sarnia
    8. Machine

9. The Lonely End Of The Rink
    10. Yer Not The Ocean
    11. Family Band
    12. In View

13. So Hard Done By
    14. Grace, Too
    15. Scared
    16. Daredevil

17. Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man
    18. Something On
    19. Fireworks
    20. Poets

21. Gift Shop
    22. Don't Wake Daddy
    23. Ahead By A Century

24. Fiddler's Green
    25. Twist My Arm
  • Options
    does anyone have the alternate versions of Christmastime In Toronto and 11th Fret that were posted on Gord'd website long ago for free download? I'd love to have them.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    just in case anyone was wondering, Rob Baker (guitarist) confirms via twitter that the band has never said anything about this being the final tour.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JimminezJimminez Posts: 217
    My turn to see them comes tomorrow and Saturday. As many who've posted, their music was on constant rotation in the CD player and a requirement at any house/cottage party in mid 90s. I had the fortune to see the the first time on Canada Day 1991 which at the time, hadn't heard them much before. But I was hooked after that.

Living in the Ottawa are for most of my years, I've been lucky to see them many times and know that seeing them for the last time will be a surreal moment and wish I had taken more opportunities to see them.
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2016 - 5/5, 5/8, 5/10, 5/12, 8/5, 8/7
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533

just in case anyone was wondering, Rob Baker (guitarist) confirms via twitter that the band has never said anything about this being the final tour.

Yeah, I've felt uncomfortable about the media calling it a farewell tour when the band never did (especially with Gord saying "I'll see you again" over and over in Vancouver). It's almost gruesome.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, I've felt uncomfortable about the media calling it a farewell tour when the band never did (especially with Gord saying "I'll see you again" over and over in Vancouver). It's almost gruesome.
    well, in one sense I agree, but if the band isn't embracing this "final tour" stuff, what is with Gord standing out there alone at/near the end of the show and showering in all the praise of the crowd all by himself?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938

PJ_Soul said:

well, in one sense I agree, but if the band isn't embracing this "final tour" stuff, what is with Gord standing out there alone at/near the end of the show and showering in all the praise of the crowd all by himself?
    Cancer is still cancer, support is still support - whether you're playing a show next year or not, I thought it was beautiful to witness in Toronto.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:

PJ_Soul said:

Cancer is still cancer, support is still support - whether you're playing a show next year or not, I thought it was beautiful to witness in Toronto.
    absolutely, all I meant was that it SEEMS to me that they are treating this as a farewell, whether they want to explicitly state it or not. believe me, I was in tears in Winnipeg.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938

benjs said:

PJ_Soul said:

absolutely, all I meant was that it SEEMS to me that they are treating this as a farewell, whether they want to explicitly state it or not. believe me, I was in tears in Winnipeg.
    The feeling I get is that if the universe forces this to be a farewell tour, then it will be - but who knows what happens? And if he somehow beats his cancer, I get the feeling that the stage is his home.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1