Options

No Grateful Dead comparisons!

1235»

Comments

• Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    I think we all need, as PJ fans, attempt to lose or disassociate w/ the Grateful Dead comparisons that have been written & talked about over the past 5-6 years.

Ok, let me put it on top of my "to do" list :rolleyes:
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    SAME HERE except I got off the GD bus in 1993

good post

how did/could you ever quit???

didn't you go to see any of those 1993 jgb shows???

eyes of the maker
    shining star

need i say more?

hmmmft! ;)
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    augustwest wrote:
    how did/could you ever quit???

didn't you go to see any of those 1993 jgb shows???

eyes of the maker
    shining star

need i say more?

hmmmft! ;)

absolutely

saw my first JGB show in 1983

5-30-1983 Bushnell Auditorium, Hartford, CT
    Set 1
    How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) They Love Each Other Mission In The Rain Mystery Train Gomorrah Run For The Roses
    Set 2
    Rhapsody In Red I'll Take A Melody Simple Twist Of Fate Harder They Come Tangled Up In Blue Midnight Moonlight

and my first Dead show in 1982

04-18-82 Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, Ct. (Sun)
    1: Bertha> Promised, FOTD> C. C. Rider, Ramble On, Me & My Uncle> Mexicali, Althea> L. L. Rain, Big RxR Blues, Let It Grow
    2: Cold Rain> Samson, Ship Of Fools, Playin> Eyes> Drumz> Phil's Earthquake Space> Other One> Black Peter> Sugar Magnolia> Playin> Sunshine Daydream
    E: Don't Ease

The scene got way out of hand in 1990. And I did not enjoy the band as much after brent died. I saw some really great shows in the 80s incuding some special garcia/kahn acoustic shows in small theaters.

By 1993, a lot of the magic was gone and the crowds were just outta hand.

last show:
    09-18-93 Madison Square Garden, New York, N.Y. (Sat)
    1: Half Step> Rooster, Althea, Masterpiece, B. E. Women, Cassidy, Loose Lucy
    2: Iko Iko, Victim> Uncle John> Corinna> Drumz> Wheel> Watchtower> China Doll> Saturday Night E: Gloria
    Rex Foundation benefit

good note to end on

Now, I go to the ratdog shows whenever I can.
  • Options
    This thread is getting old and starting to get stale.... time to spice it up. "That isa onea SPICY meataball!"

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070621135241AAnwsLa
  • Options
    This thread is getting old and starting to get stale.... time to spice it up. "That isa onea SPICY meataball!"

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070621135241AAnwsLa

r u a hippie hater?

dude on that site says men shouldn't have long hair...f'n funny stuff

guess i shud conform and git my hair cut right away! LMAO
  • Options
    augustwest wrote:
    r u a hippie hater?

I'm bored and trying to get my friday afternoon to go quicker. Spicing up this thread is all i can think of.

http://ammaryasir.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/haight-hippie.jpg
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    absolutely

saw my first JGB show in 1983

5-30-1983 Bushnell Auditorium, Hartford, CT
    Set 1
    How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) They Love Each Other Mission In The Rain Mystery Train Gomorrah Run For The Roses
    Set 2
    Rhapsody In Red I'll Take A Melody Simple Twist Of Fate Harder They Come Tangled Up In Blue Midnight Moonlight

and my first Dead show in 1982

04-18-82 Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, Ct. (Sun)
    1: Bertha> Promised, FOTD> C. C. Rider, Ramble On, Me & My Uncle> Mexicali, Althea> L. L. Rain, Big RxR Blues, Let It Grow
    2: Cold Rain> Samson, Ship Of Fools, Playin> Eyes> Drumz> Phil's Earthquake Space> Other One> Black Peter> Sugar Magnolia> Playin> Sunshine Daydream
    E: Don't Ease

The scene got way out of hand in 1990. And I did not enjoy the band as much after brent died. I saw some really great shows in the 80s incuding some special garcia/kahn acoustic shows in small theaters.

By 1993, a lot of the magic was gone and the crowds were just outta hand.

last show:
    09-18-93 Madison Square Garden, New York, N.Y. (Sat)
    1: Half Step> Rooster, Althea, Masterpiece, B. E. Women, Cassidy, Loose Lucy
    2: Iko Iko, Victim> Uncle John> Corinna> Drumz> Wheel> Watchtower> China Doll> Saturday Night E: Gloria
    Rex Foundation benefit

good note to end on

Now, I go to the ratdog shows whenever I can.

what was your last jerry show?

my first show was 1986 with dylan/petty and the dead opening

this was my last jerry show and it just so happens to have the BEST shining star you will EVER hear...HUGE LONG sing a long at the end of the song with jerry trading lines with the audience...OMG SOOOO SPECIAL...

11-5-1993 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, NY
    Set 1
    Cats Under The Stars
    Mission In The Rain
    Simple Twist Of Fate
    That's What Love Will Make You Do
    Ain't No Bread In The Breadbox
    Like A Road
    Deal
    Set 2
    Shining Star
    The Maker
    Think
    Reuben And Cherise
    Gomorrah
    Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
    How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)

I understand how things kind of spun outta control at the end but i just couldn't walk away from it...no matter what went down...certainly just to LIVE through that recent addition of eyes of the maker to the jgb setlists would have kept me interested ;)

how about those shows with hornsby?...some magical stuff happening there for sure
  • Options
    I'm bored and trying to get my friday afternoon to go quicker. Spicing up this thread is all i can think of.

http://ammaryasir.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/haight-hippie.jpg

i think i know that dude!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    augustwest wrote:
    what was your last jerry show?

my first show was 1986 with dylan/petty and the dead opening

this was my last jerry show and it just so happens to have the BEST shining star you will EVER hear...HUGE LONG sing a long at the end of the song with jerry trading lines with the audience...OMG SOOOO SPECIAL...

11-5-1993 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, NY
    Set 1
    Cats Under The Stars
    Mission In The Rain
    Simple Twist Of Fate
    That's What Love Will Make You Do
    Ain't No Bread In The Breadbox
    Like A Road
    Deal
    Set 2
    Shining Star
    The Maker
    Think
    Reuben And Cherise
    Gomorrah
    Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
    How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)

I understand how things kind of spun outta control at the end but i just couldn't walk away from it...no matter what went down...certainly just to LIVE through that recent addition of eyes of the maker to the jgb setlists would have kept me interested ;)

how about those shows with hornsby?...some magical stuff happening there for sure

7/4/86 at rich stadium your first?
    I was there and it was one of my favorite stadium shows
    Duprees, Fire on the mountain in the rain-FARM AID broadcast.

Last Jerry Show:
    11-8-1993 Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, CT
    Set 1 Cats Under The Stars They Love Each Other He Ain't Give You None Lazy Bones Lay Down Sally My Sisters And Brothers Deal
    Set 2 I Second That Emotion And It Stoned Me Think Ain't No Bread In The Breadbox That Lucky Old Sun (Just Rolls Around Heaven All Day) Midnight Moonlight

I was lucky enough to see JGB when they played small venues. I did not enjoy it as much when they switiched to arenas and the circus came to town.

My favorites are the garcia/kahn acoustic shows-talk about special!
    Acoustic peggy-o 11/26/84

Hornsby, Welnick, Marsalis-you can keep them-I did not care for the music as much when these guys were part of the band.

I guess I am a child of the Brent years, and thats were most of my special moments occured.
  • Options
    My last Grateful Dead show.

Lead Guitar: Jerry Garcia
    Rhythm Guitar: Bob Weir
    Bass: Phil Lesh
    Keyboards: Vince Welnick
    Drums: Bill Kreutzmann
    Drums: Mickey Hart

07/08/95
    Soldier Field - Chicago, IL

Set 1:
    Jack Straw
    Sugaree
    Wang Dang Doodle
    Althea
    Queen Jane Approximately
    Tennessee Jed
    Eternity
    Don't Ease Me In

Set 2:
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    It's All Too Much
    Saint Of Circumstance
    Terrapin Station
    Drums
    Space
    The Other One
    Visions Of Johanna
    One More Saturday Night
  • Options
    TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    My last Grateful Dead show.

Lead Guitar: Jerry Garcia
    Rhythm Guitar: Bob Weir
    Bass: Phil Lesh
    Keyboards: Vince Welnick
    Drums: Bill Kreutzmann
    Drums: Mickey Hart

07/08/95
    Soldier Field - Chicago, IL

Set 1:
    Jack Straw
    Sugaree
    Wang Dang Doodle
    Althea
    Queen Jane Approximately
    Tennessee Jed
    Eternity
    Don't Ease Me In

Set 2:
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    It's All Too Much
    Saint Of Circumstance
    Terrapin Station
    Drums
    Space
    The Other One
    Visions Of Johanna
    One More Saturday Night

I love what this thread has turned into, more like an appreciation for GD live, great band, to bad I was to young to ever see them with Jerry, I am flattered everytime PJ is compared to them!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options
    Them-Bones wrote:
    People compare Pearl Jam to the Grateful Dead in the way both bands tour, Pearl Jam tours a lot and has many people follow them on tour, Grateful Dead did the same thing, i don't think anyone is saying the fans or the music are the same when they compare the two bands.

...and then there's the whole "family" atmosphere...
    If I had known then...what I know now...

the vic ~ 8.2.07
    eV at The Ryman ~ 6.18.09
    st. louis ~ 5.4.10
    If we all did a little, together we could make a BIG difference....wanna help us?
    Then visit http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com
  • Options
    TheGossman wrote:
    I love what this thread has turned into, more like an appreciation for GD live, great band, to bad I was to young to ever see them with Jerry, I am flattered everytime PJ is compared to them!

I've always felt the connection between both bands. I enjoy this thread alot too. :)
  • Options
    djonesrdjonesr Posts: 73
    I am in absolute heaven reading this thread.

I really need to thank the original poster, no matter how insanely ignorant that post was.

It's so good to read about so many who have been "struck" by the magic of the the GD experience and also fully appreciate the magic of PJ.

And of course how could this NOT turn into a Jerry Garcia appreciation thread.

My first GD show was in '82. Playin->drums/space->china doll->Terrapin and my life completely changed after that.

For me, things were never the same after Brent, and then especially after Bill Graham. Although I never stopped going and had many memorable experiences up until the end. Almost all the shows I attended were in California, which didn't get quite as crazy as those east coast tours those last few years.

My first PJ experience was unfortunately the GG park fiasco. But I did make it to the make up show in San Jose and I just went crazy over that. Although with PJ, it didn't take a live show for me to get really into them. I already liked them from listening to ten and vs.

I attended 157 GD shows, and only 9 full PJ shows. My overall show attendance dropped in 1995 when my wife and had the first of our 2 kids. I've seen a few Ratdog and Phil shows too, of course. I do enjoy the shows but it is also a "family" thing for me to.

There's definitely a lot of comparisons you could make. What's funny is you can find both a lot of similarities AND a lot of differences in just about everything when you compare the 2 bands and their following... The music, the live experience, the fans, etc...

So PJ at bonnarro would be the closest thing to having PJ mingle with anything resembling dead-ly. And I would be honored to endure the disgusting Tennessee summer heat for that!
  • Options
    Phil and Friends playing Portland at the end of the month. Tickets sold out in minutes. They're playing at an extremely small venues too, so it's going to be an intimate show!!!
    "WE'RE UH, WE'RE GONNA DO THIS ONE WHICH IS UH, CERTAINLY NOT A USUAL ONE, AND THEN UH, JUST TAKE A FEW MORE MINUTES, THEN UH, AND THEN WE'RE GONNA DO OUR BEST TO KEEP TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS AWAKE FR..." (cheering at intro)...

--->H2I

(special moment)
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    I think we all need, as PJ fans, attempt to lose or disassociate w/ the Grateful Dead comparisons that have been written & talked about over the past 5-6 years.
    First off, the Grateful Dead are dead, have been since Jerry Garcia died in 1995. Second, we are not nor am I by any means burnt out druggie hippies trying to revive the 1960's & 70's on a daily basis. Third, the music is huge parallels apart from each other. The Grateful Dead were just a dope/LSD laced jam band that happened to form in a city(San Francisco) that accepted that sort of birth at the time. We however, are not druggies (I hope) & have more intelligence & intrigue than most fans of rock bands. Pearl Jam's soul & identity gives way to the freedom of punk rock & the all out integrity of 70's arena rock. Ok, so the Dead & PJ had a lot of music out in a short length of time at their peak & the Ten Club members/die hards know the songs like their short n' curlys, so what? Pearl Jam's still alive, always have been & we know they're not going anywhere anytime soon.
    So what makes us survive? The band's topics such as politics, evolution & faith? you decide...not some critic who sees us & the band as new age jam heads...no thank you at all...

What a stupid ass generalization about Dead fans...In the future have a clue about what you're talking about before writing it.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    First off, the Grateful Dead are dead, have been since Jerry Garcia died in 1995. Second, we are not nor am I by any means burnt out druggie hippies trying to revive the 1960's & 70's on a daily basis. Third, the music is huge parallels apart from each other. The Grateful Dead were just a dope/LSD laced jam band that happened to form in a city(San Francisco) that accepted that sort of birth at the time. We however, are not druggies (I hope) & have more intelligence & intrigue than most fans of rock bands. Pearl Jam's soul & identity gives way to the freedom of punk rock & the all out integrity of 70's arena rock. Ok, so the Dead & PJ had a lot of music out in a short length of time at their peak & the Ten Club members/die hards know the songs like their short n' curlys, so what? Pearl Jam's still alive, always have been & we know they're not going anywhere anytime soon.
    So what makes us survive? The band's topics such as politics, evolution & faith? you decide...not some critic who sees us & the band as new age jam heads...no thank you at all...

Regardless if they do or not your reasons are purely subjective

All the dead fans are not druggies.
    And some of the pj ones are
    The dead did not just start their band based on dope and lsd, they were very serious musicians.

Your san fran point mirrors their, start as pjs, seattle welcomed and accepted that sort of birth with all the cities problems and with both bands, it didnt take long to go worldwide.
    Also to assume other bands fans are not as smart as ours is not only wrong its ridiculous. how would you gage this, we all live in the same world

And as much as you hate it a large number of pjs fanbase are new age
    jam fans.

They drop life and go on tour with the band, its all good.

The 1 thing the bands do have in common is that most if no other mainstream bands do is not only do they play their setlists differant every night, they change the texture of their music. They play songs differant, they have vocal changes differant solos, the band changes tempo alot, this is what causes so much interest/addiction to both bands music and in turn makes us want all their shows

Just like the dead fans and the drugs, you have to remeber times are differant, alot of pjs fan base drinks, its 2008 not 1960
    evey fan base back than did drugs not just the dead. They just stood out becasue they cared about their fans and did everything they could to outdo every other band of their time for their fans.

Just like pj

And your last comment about pjs topics being about freedom and all, they are far from the first or last to sing about that stuff.

sorry
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    scroll down.
    important post coming.
    [:rolleyes: doubleposting fool here]
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    Politics aside here,
    didn't the Beer-Man admit in a TFT interview that they spent a lot of time looking at what the Grateful Dead did as far as running a fan club?

:D

The Dead comparisson, imho, is pretty valid on many levels, and i think it was a one that was seen here several times on the message boards before i ever heard "the media" or the critics talking about it. Perry Farrell used to say that he was a deadhead before he got in to punk (and also that he tried to keep that a secret, lol), and i think Jane's Addiction had some amazing political spark too -- i mean, they meant something, stood for something other than just drugs and bombast. Of course Jane's stood for some of that too! And honestly folks, so did Pearl Jam [ahem, still do (45 second mark)]

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    How dare you make assumptions about my drug intake?
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431

I don't have time to read this whole thread... but let me just add that you are an idiot! The Grateful Dead were the pioneers of so many facets of the music industry and their fans were loyal, friendly, and obsessively-critical (in a good way) of their music. Kind of like Pearl Jam and their fans...
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Options

Hmmmmm, I think it's an honor! GD fans set the pace for us. And I think you are making some serious generalizations here. The Dead are not dead. Their music didn't die w/ Jerry. It lives on, through recordings (which by the way paved the road for US to record) memoribilia and their members. It wasn't all about Jerry. And not all deadheads are LSD loving nappy headed anti shower hippies. I love the Dead, Phish, Moe, ASG, Galactic, Keller Williams, Disco Biscuts, Umphrey McGee, ect and that doesn't make me a druggie. Many bands are politically involved, environmentally concious and support their communities just like Pearl Jam.

We're all passionate about music. Weather it's GD, Pearl Jam, Phish...whatever. We support our love by following tours, talking about the music, collecting stuff. To be compared to Deadheads is a compliment. It's about the dedication and the love for the music. Not what you look like or what you wear.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
  • Options
    pjambamapjambama Posts: 126
    as a fan of music and cool bands there are some similarities to the dead and pearl jam. i have seen both the grateful dead and pearl jam in concert. The music and scene is of course different but the way they treat the fans is very similar

both bands allowed fans to get the best seats possible for their shows and even allow taping. the grateful dead went so far as to create a section at their shows for taping. both bands are not primarily driven by money its da music so they try 2 keep the ticket prices as low as possible

grateful dead channel on sirius maybe one day pearl jam channel
    http://www.sirius.com/gratefuldead

http://www.myspace.com/siriusradiorocks

new orleans 95
    birmingham 98
    birmingham 2003- 2nd coldest show ever
    tampa 2003
  • Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    As a DeadHead, I never really understood these comparisons.

Yes, both bands have devote followers, almost a cult, that is obsessed with the band and travels around to see them. And that's about where the comparisons stop.

Deadheads formed their own community, much more than we have today (although I applaud the Jammers). At a Dead concert, people were selling things outside - shirts, etc. to raise money to travel around to see them. It was almost like a traveling circus. People devoted their lives to the band, in large numbers. I know of 10+ people that spent at least an entire tour following them (and they were averaging 200+ shows a year).

Also, on the comparison of setlists, yes, Pearl Jam mixes up their setlist on a nightly basis. However, nothing compared to the way a Dead set went. It was completely unexpected, and consisted of long, extended jams that morphed into covers, reprises, etc.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    djonesrdjonesr Posts: 73
    I can see where your coming from Drew. And I completely agree about there being big differences in the actual level of DEAD-ication :) But we really can't tell how fanatical jammers would get about touring if PJ played 100+ shows each year.

I still don't think the number of touring PJ fans would match that level. Maybe that's where the drugs come in :)

I have some partially similar thoughts about the musical improvisation too. I think that if PJ played 100+ live shows every year, they would have more extended jams in their music. Certainly not as spacey and psychedelic though.

But it's the subtle and not so exact comparisons that I really like. It really is more of a comparison that a copy/clone, which is what you could arguable say about the pure "jam bands".