Options

No Grateful Dead comparisons!

Comments

• Options
    Funny how this....

Sounds an awful lot like this....

Like I said before... same exact thing but you boys had DischordVision up on the cross. No matter what band you like.. somebody hates them. Its just the way it goes... and everyone has really dumb reasons for hating the bands they hate.. but it doesn't matter. Its just the way it is... and then people break out with "oh well you never saw them live man!" Yeah when was the last time anyone went to go see a band live that they thinks sucks ass? I don't usually do that. Oh let me go check out Divinyls tonight. I hear you haven't truely heard "I touch myself" until you've heard it live!

All your bands suck! :)
    quite frankly i never put him "up on a cross"... all i said was that i could see where the comparisons might come from... just like i can see where the D-bag frat boy DMB fan image comes from... never even mentioned "you have to see them live"... cause i never had that opportunity... im too young... its nothing personal or an attack on anyone... my opinions are based on my life experiences... ive listened to GD for years... and im in college so i see too many DMB fans... and the difference between the 2 quotes you just used was on was on the defense and he was on the attack... people shouldnt have to defend what they feel any more then people should feel entitled to attack those feelings (unless completely deserved [good charlotte etc])
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    quite frankly i never put him "up on a cross"... all i said was that i could see where the comparisons might come from... just like i can see where the D-bag frat boy DMB fan image comes from... never even mentioned "you have to see them live"... cause i never had that opportunity... im too young... its nothing personal or an attack on anyone... my opinions are based on my life experiences... ive listened to GD for years... and im in college so i see too many DMB fans... and the difference between the 2 quotes you just used was on was on the defense and he was on the attack... people shouldnt have to defend what they feel any more then people should feel entitled to attack those feelings (unless completely deserved [good charlotte etc])

Just to clarify... the cross comment was to everyone as can be implied by "you boys" as in fifty peeps against one. Same goes with the live coment. I was addressing everyone who posted in this thread. The only part that was specificly addressed to you was the quote i took. Which was more of an example really. Maybe if you read everyone elses comments, my earlier coments, and then read my last post again it will make more sense.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    whose got my extra?

the business model is similar-PJ makes better records more often and the dead used to tour more often-mail order tickets (gee where did that idea come from?)-bootlegs-crazy fans that follow them around

lots of similarities
    but the media has latched on to that comparison simply because, like the dead, PJ does not sell millions of records, has no videos or MTV presence, but still sells out most of their shows.

music is totally different

And Im really sorry for any of you that never had the chance to see the grateful dead play live

by the way, Bobbys band ratdog is friggin awesome, and in some ways better than the last few years the dead were touring
  • Options
    Just to clarify... the cross comment was to everyone as can be implied by "you boys" as in fifty peeps against one. Same goes with the live coment. I was addressing everyone who posted in this thread. The only part that was specificly addressed to you was the quote i took. Which was more of an example really. Maybe if you read everyone elses comments, my earlier coments, and then read my last post again it will make more sense.
    no i understand what youre saying... id just rather not be used an example... and i dont really feel bad for anyone "ganging up" on the OP because he put his opinion out there to be negated and did so in a less than objective way... and ive read the other posts... just seems to be people defending a band they love when really that shouldnt even be the issue... the comparisons are endless and undeniable and all it takes is a lil research or knowledge of GD to know this... i except peoples opinions when i feel theyre learned on the subject theyre debated... ive been to 3 DMB (friend in the warehouse) therefore i can say what i want about their fans based on those experiences (and others)

• Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    "I won't go see DMB because I hate their fans". etc.

Heh....have you been to many DMB shows? I have...about 15...and as a general rule....their fans? Ughhhhh....

I'd rather have a "dirty hippie ;) " offer to give me a rock for my miracle ticket any day. (True story...of course)

• Options
    goldstargoldstar Posts: 256
    How I would loved to have seen Jerry and Ed singing a dead tune together.

I keep thinking how cool it would be if PJ started playing "I Know You Rider" live.
    sign THE petition!!!
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/pearljam_to_israel/index.html

10/03/05 philadelphia
    05/09/06 toronto
    05/10/06 toronto
    06/01/06 e. rutherford
    06/03/06 e. rutherford
    09/30/06 athens
    06/12/07 munich
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    goldstar wrote:
    I keep thinking how cool it would be if PJ started playing "I Know You Rider" live.

Planning a trip right now and thinking...."Going where the climate suits my clothes." :)
  • Options
    deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    different fan base
    pearl jam fans are frenzied folk
    while gd are more chillin

thats just an attempt to be noticed by her

paid for by k
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    by the way, Bobbys band ratdog is friggin awesome, and in some ways better than the last few years the dead were touring

I prefer Phil's friends.
    :D
    sign THE petition!!!

10/03/05 philadelphia
    05/09/06 toronto
    05/10/06 toronto
    06/01/06 e. rutherford
    06/03/06 e. rutherford
    09/30/06 athens
    06/12/07 munich
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    Planning a trip right now and thinking...."Going where the climate suits my clothes." :)

:)

(but seriously, they could take "rider" and play it at a RITFW tempo. how awesome would that be?)
    sign THE petition!!!

10/03/05 philadelphia
    05/09/06 toronto
    05/10/06 toronto
    06/01/06 e. rutherford
    06/03/06 e. rutherford
    09/30/06 athens
    06/12/07 munich
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,641
    Yo, I f'in love Pearl Jam but I doubt they could sell out MSG 9 nights in a row and still have 3000 fans in the parking lot who couldn't get in.

There never was, nor will there ever be, another Grateful Dead.

The GD toured 3x per year, Summer, Spring, and Fall, for over 15 years, their lives were lived on the road and thats what made it possible for their fans to take their own lives on the road too.

When Jerry died, alot of people were left homeless.
  • Options
    deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    pearl jam in 95-96 couldve have taken the heavyweight crown in fan base just by listening to delirious, or u2 i forget which ones first
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • Options
    goldstar wrote:
    I prefer Phil's friends.
    *phriends :D

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    *phriends :D

BRILLIANT!
    sign THE petition!!!

10/03/05 philadelphia
    05/09/06 toronto
    05/10/06 toronto
    06/01/06 e. rutherford
    06/03/06 e. rutherford
    09/30/06 athens
    06/12/07 munich
  • Options
    goldstar wrote:
    I prefer Phil's friends.

hahaha

I cant stand the Phil shows, only shows ive ever walked out of.

I guess there is some division there
  • Options
    goldstar wrote:

Cant have a rider without a china cat=it would be interesting to hear McCready play that riff

I was thinking an EV acoustic version of ripple

But I could see the PJ ripping cold rain and snow
  • Options
    Me = Dead Head + Pearl Jammer

I may change my screen name to Grateful Jammer
    "You would be punctilious in assuming that."
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    Get_Right wrote:
    Cant have a rider without a china cat=it would be interesting to hear McCready play that riff

But I could see the PJ ripping cold rain and snow

oh man i would probably drop dead at my seat ....:D
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    EdVedHedEdVedHed Posts: 100
    Get_Right wrote:

Yes ! on the uke too .....
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.......Nietzsche
  • Options
    edpearsonedpearson Posts: 331
    Get_Right wrote:
    hahaha
    I cant stand the Phil shows, only shows ive ever walked out of.
    I guess there is some division there

The last few times I saw Phil & Friends, I was kinda bored. This span of shows was from 2002-2005. The first time I saw him, he blew me away. This was a New Year's show in Oakland and he had Warren Haynes playing guitar during that particular line-up. Seems his line-up keeps changing which is probably why I haven't been into his shows. Warren kicked ass w/ that band! I haven't seen Ratdog in years, but I've heard his band is kicing arse. I did see the Other Ones at one of those Further Festivals back in '97 (???) and it was cool. Having seen the Dead about 70 times since '86, I see a lot of similarities, but the obvious ones worth pointing out (and the overall consensus from this thread) are the dedicated fanbase, the diversity of shows (unlike most performers where every show is pretty much the same), and the availability of live shows in bootleg formats. I know there's others, but these are the obvious major similarities. I'm fortunate to have seen the Dead play together -- some of the best times in my life. But also I'm fortunate to be on board with PJ -- some of the best times in my life. I've got a ways to go to catch up with the number of PJ shows compared to the number of Dead shows, but I can always blame that on the fact that PJ doesn't tour three-fourths of the year like the Dead always did (I think they only took time off around '75 when they were working on Blues for Allah ???). I'm surprised that this thread went so long. While the OP was in for an obvious ass-kicking, I had no idea it would be this many postings replying back. And even better, I was more surprised to find that there's so many Dead fans in here. Rock on! Eddie playing "Ripple" would be nice, but how 'bout the band playing "US Blues"!!!???
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:

I would cry like a baby.....seriously......

"there is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone."

One of the best lines ever written.

I have to go listen to this now.......

The one song I'm truly wishing I could have seen live though, is Shakedown Street. Imagine? How many of you got to see this song performed live? How amazing was it? I would dance my ass off!
  • Options
    Wow... everyone is all the sudden so righteous and against unfair stereotyping of other bands and their fans all the sudden on this forum. Thats new. I am looking forward to similar scathing posts when terms like "frat fucks", "cock rock", "jocks" and such come out. Because thats ok. But if you stereotype dead heads as some dirty chick with furry armpits and an old curtain for a shirt everyone gets real upset. Stereotyping is messed up when people use different stereotypes then you isn't it?

I think this response alone proves the entire point of everyone's rebuttal to the original post.

It is because of the passion that Deadheads have that you find an entire thread of angry responses to one silly stereotype. You don't find it in other threads because fans of other bands simply DO NOT have the same passion.

As I said before, the adoration of the Dead from Deadheads is unparalled. Pearl Jam fans come close, hence the actual comparison between the two bands that the original poster completely ignored.

When another band earns and/or demands the respect from their fans the way the Dead have, they too will have people react as others have in this thread!
  • Options
    Pearl Jam and The Grateful Dead could not be more different.

They do not tour alike either. The Dead toured all the time... PJ not so much.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:

Yes please. :D
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    The Grateful Dead were just a dope/LSD laced jam band that happened to form in a city(San Francisco) that accepted that sort of birth at the time.

Wow, I have a problem with that quote right there.....
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    who is this crazy poster (kid)? must be a kid, right? or maybe a republican? regardless, made me realize this kid skipped one too many a history class.

imo, i think its an honor that pj's fanbase is compared to the dead's. they happen to be two groups of my favorite folks.
    ...master of karate and friendship for everyone!
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:

also, i concur. gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.
    ...master of karate and friendship for everyone!
  • Options
    I think we all need, as PJ fans, attempt to lose or disassociate w/ the Grateful Dead comparisons that have been written & talked about over the past 5-6 years.
    First off, the Grateful Dead are dead, have been since Jerry Garcia died in 1995. Second, we are not nor am I by any means burnt out druggie hippies trying to revive the 1960's & 70's on a daily basis. Third, the music is huge parallels apart from each other. The Grateful Dead were just a dope/LSD laced jam band that happened to form in a city(San Francisco) that accepted that sort of birth at the time. We however, are not druggies (I hope) & have more intelligence & intrigue than most fans of rock bands. Pearl Jam's soul & identity gives way to the freedom of punk rock & the all out integrity of 70's arena rock. Ok, so the Dead & PJ had a lot of music out in a short length of time at their peak & the Ten Club members/die hards know the songs like their short n' curlys, so what? Pearl Jam's still alive, always have been & we know they're not going anywhere anytime soon.
    So what makes us survive? The band's topics such as politics, evolution & faith? you decide...not some critic who sees us & the band as new age jam heads...no thank you at all...

When I went to see PJ in 1995 Ed himself mentioned to the crowd at Red Rocks that the crowd/the show was like the Grateful Dead or something. That was cool thing for me personally since I was at a Grateful Dead show that previous Thursday. Flew out to Colorado that Saturday and saw PJ Sunday and Monday. So I think it's more like the legion of fans, the touring, the family feeling. But the crowd is so much more different. I do not think it is a bad comparsion. I kinda of like it. There are 2 of my favorite live acts.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    I would cry like a baby.....seriously......

"there is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone."

One of the best lines ever written.

I have to go listen to this now.......

The one song I'm truly wishing I could have seen live though, is Shakedown Street. Imagine? How many of you got to see this song performed live? How amazing was it? I would dance my ass off!

I think my 2nd or 3rd show I went to was a Shakedown opener.

Now could you imagine if you would EV doing Stella Blue.... Now that's some serious tears pouring down my face!!!!!
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    momofglynn wrote:
    I think my 2nd or 3rd show I went to was a Shakedown opener.

Now could you imagine if you would EV doing Stella Blue.... Now that's some serious tears pouring down my face!!!!!

i saw the dead 132 times PJ 112 and i find similarities maybe not alot between the bands, but how i feel while i'm at the show and that is i feel ALIVE-i feel the same when i see Springsteen

and to hear our boy Ed sing stella would be ........ *speechless

and i would love Ed on China Doll and the whole band to bring it on One More Saturday Night !!

I went down to the mountain, I was drinking some wine,
    Looked up in the heavens Lord I saw a mighty sign,
    Writt'n fire across the heaven, plain as black and white;
    Get prepared, there's gonna be a party tonight.

Uhuh, Hey! Saturday Night!
    Yeh, uhuh one more Saturday night,
    Hey Saturday night!

Everybody's dancin' down the local armory
    With a basement full of dynamite and live artillery.
    The temperature keeps risin', everybody gittin' high;
    Come the rockin' stroke of midnite, the whole place gonna fly.

Hey Saturday night!

Turn on channel six, the President comes on the news,
    Says, "I get no satisfaction, that's why I sing the blues."
    His wife say "Don't get crazy, Lord, you know just what to do,
    Crank up that old Victrola, put on them rockin' shoes."

Hey Saturday night!

Then God way up in heaven, for whatever it was worth,
    Thought He'd have a big old party, thought He'd call it planet Earth.
    Don't worry about tomorrow, Lord, you'll know it when it comes,
    When the rock and roll music meets the risin' sun.
    “It’s the idea that people living close to nature tend to be noble. It’s seeing all those sunsets that does it. You can’t watch a sunset and then go off and set fire to your neighbor’s tepee. Living close to nature is wonderful for your mental health.”

Daniel Quinn