Options

No Grateful Dead comparisons!

Comments

• Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    The one song I'm truly wishing I could have seen live though, is Shakedown Street. Imagine? How many of you got to see this song performed live? How amazing was it? I would dance my ass off!

Don't know that I ever got Shakedown as an opener. Scarlet Begonias --> Fire on the Mountain was by far the best moment of any Dead show for me.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    imagine PJ darkstar...................... i cant even imagine.
    model, role model, roll some models in blood
  • Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    "I don't think we should play another note until we thank the Grateful Dead for letting us use their stage. They left it for us. There were still joints left on it from Saturday. So, ah, we think it's only right that we play as long as they do."

Eddie Vedder-Soldier Field 7/11/95

My all time favorite bootleg.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    "I don't think we should play another note until we thank the Grateful Dead for letting us use their stage. They left it for us. There were still joints left on it from Saturday. So, ah, we think it's only right that we play as long as they do."

I love that part on the boot. :D
  • Options
    EdVedHedEdVedHed Posts: 100

sigh......just after Jerry's last show. I was at that last Dead show - and the 7/11 show to hear that quote above. Gives me chills to think about.....

Saw the Grateful Dead 76 times (86-95) - and Pearl Jam 24 times (91-present). I love them both.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.......Nietzsche
  • Options
    GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,782
    I saw this one a few times including MSG, now that was the only party that compares to a PJ show,,plain and simple.
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    momofglynn wrote:
    I think my 2nd or 3rd show I went to was a Shakedown opener.

Now could you imagine if you would EV doing Stella Blue.... Now that's some serious tears pouring down my face!!!!!
    it would be nice, but thats one song I think no one should touch. That and china doll are two jerry songs best left untouched

I saw several shakedown openers, like release, it let you know you were in for a good show
  • Options
    EdVedHed wrote:

Saw the Grateful Dead 76 times (86-95) - and Pearl Jam 24 times (91-present). I love them both.

Awesome :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny5dolA9yuA

I'm so glad somebody recorded Jerry's last song performed live.

How I do miss Jerry.
  • Options
    CobCob Posts: 857
    I saw the Grateful Dead 170 time from 1988-1995 and yes they are similar in some ways to PJ but let just say this. there will NEVER be another band like Grateful Dead EVER. Phish, Widespread Panic, whoever people want to compare them to. It's like Bill Grahm said about them,

"They aren't the best at what they do, they're the only ones that do what they do."

At no other concert would you every hear, country, blue grass, jazzy jams, pure rock and roll, ballads and an acapella tune all in one show. So to the original poster, I agree STOP the comparison with Pearl Jam and Grateful Dead, in fact stop the comparison with Grateful Dead and ANY other band, because there is NO comparison. I LIVE Pearl Jam but to compare the Grateful Dead to ANY band is like comparing apples to cannon balls.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Options
    mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    From Entertainment Weekly, May 12, 2006
    This bright, memorabilia-filled building isn't just Pearl Jam's home--it's also the center of the Jamily universe. Right off the warehouse's common room is the office of the Ten Club (or 10C), the band's unusually vibrant fan organization. 10C members enjoy all sorts of perks (like an exclusive Christmas single), and they get first crack at the best concert tickets; the result is a remarkably close connection between Pearl Jam and their most passionate fans. If that brings to mind a certain other fan-friendly band, well, that's not a coincidence. "We were studying the Grateful Dead model," says the band's longtime manager, Kelly Curtis. "We just went and hung out in their offices and looked at how they did things. It was so grassroots and so great." The club was mail-based and somewhat chaotic until 1998, when they hired Tim Bierman (an old friend of bassist Jeff Ament) to oversee the operation, transforming 10C into a Web-fueled powerhouse. While Curtis and Bierman will not disclose the number of current 10C members, they claim it is larger than it's ever been.

Pearl Jam fans obsessively collect show posters; they dissect set lists on the fan club's Internet Message Pit; they get together and sometimes even marry each other. Many have separate bank accounts set aside to support their touring habit, and some have time off for Pearl Jam shows written into their contracts at work. They amass scores of concert recordings (in 2000, Pearl Jam started releasing official "bootlegs" of almost all their shows). Most remarkably, the Jamily pays attention to the band's charitable causes. In an echo of the Grateful Dead's Rex Foundation, Pearl Jam operates the nonprofit Vitalogy Foundation, and members of the Jamily often set up fund- raisers to support the band's pet causes (like the Surfrider Foundation).

The faithful were out in force during a brief North American tour last fall. Outside the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, 26-year-old Sarah Moskowitz was hanging out with her fellow 10C members, who had arranged a preshow parking-lot meet-up via the Message Pit. "I know it sounds crazy to love a band this much," she said. "It touches me." At the Vancouver show, a 44-year-old fan named Rob Bleetstein was wearing a Grateful Dead T-shirt. "I consider myself extremely fortunate that I can have another musical experience like this," said Bleetstein, who'd seen the Dead 264 times and was on his 77th Pearl Jam show. "Because I have a lot of Deadhead friends who can't find it anywhere else."

And while Pearl Jam may not sound like the Dead, their shows have a similar feel--the same intimacy, the same anything-can-happen vibe, the same curfew-challenging running time. "They're super- loose musicians, and they have a really joyous approach to the show," says Janet Weiss, the drummer for Sleater-Kinney, one of Pearl Jam's regular opening bands. "These guys want to have a good time, and they want to share it."

Of course they are going to get comparisons to the Dead. When one uses a successful model, it's normal to get compared to the ones who created that model.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Options
    mbangel10 wrote:
    From Entertainment Weekly, May 12, 2006

Of course they are going to get comparisons to the Dead. When one uses a successful model, it's normal to get compared to the ones who created that model.

Thanks for posting that piece above - great summation of the non-music comparisons.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.......Nietzsche
  • Options
    Awesome :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny5dolA9yuA

I'm so glad somebody recorded Jerry's last song performed live.

How I do miss Jerry.

sing me a song of my own ......

(tears well a bit) - thanks for posting
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,218
    Only read the first couple posts but here is my 2 cents. PJ should be honored to draw comparisions to the dead. The dead toured for years, played everywhere. Created such a strong connection to thier fans, the fans wanted to see them as often as they could, which resulted in a following that was unprecedented at the time. I, personally dont the dead. I do like Phish though and while they may be a better comparison to the dead than PJ is, Pj does share many similarites. The sharing of recordings, fans following them, rotating setlist and emerging from a "special" time in music.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    ninfanninfan Posts: 93
    Grateful Dead 48 times. Pearl Jam once but on my way to 48
    "No intelligent idea can gain general acceptance unless some stupidity is mixed in with it." Pessoa
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,640
    mbangel10 wrote:
    From Entertainment Weekly, May 12, 2006 quote]

How do they know about my seperate bank account?!?

Not even my husband knows about that!
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666
    cutback wrote:
    i'd try to straighten you out but since you have all these bullshit sterotypes about the dead i feel it would be a lost cause.....just let me say the comparison between the dead and pearl jam lies in the fanaticism of the fan.....we know everything about the band....we will travel all over the world to see them play live....and like the dead, pj members respect us and treat us well...

Well said cutback. I get annoyed with all the stereotypes put out there about the Dead. Most people who subscribe to these stereotypes are ignorant of what the Dead were all about--THE MUSIC!
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Options
    zootown wrote:
    Well said cutback. I get annoyed with all the stereotypes put out there about the Dead. Most people who subscribe to these stereotypes are ignorant of what the Dead were all about--THE MUSIC!

Going to a Grateful Dead concert was like diving into the waters of creation. And the deeper you were willing to go the better understanding of the dead's music you got. :D
  • Options
    Going to a Grateful Dead concert was like diving into the waters of creation. And the deeper you were willing to go the better understanding of the dead's music you got. :D
    i didnt know you liked to get wet pat :p
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    i didnt know you liked to get wet pat :p

i'm a mystery :p
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i'm curious why the op hasn't come back to defend his horseshit.....:)
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    i'm curious why the op hasn't come back to defend his horseshit.....:)

Lets be nice. No need to beat him up anymore. lol
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147

eh true but i don't tolerate ignorance lightly....:D
  • Options
    it is a little odd tho that youd start such an offensive thread that goes onto so many pages and not say anything more to defend your point... clearly he was just looking to antagonize in the first place... fuckin trolls!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Wow!! Pearl Jam And The Grateful Dead Have A Lot In Common...

They Both Are Very Amazing Bands That Put On The Best Live Shows That People Have Ever Seen!!!

+they Are Both Fun To Watch When You Are Tripping Balls!!!

Go Smoke A Fat Bowl And Put On A 70's Era Dead Show And When You Are Done Listening To The Show You Will Know Exactly What I Am Talking About!!

Grateful Dead=very Amazing Band!!
    Pearl Jam=very Amazing Band!!

See The Comparison??

Think Before You Post Not Everyone Is As Close Minded As Yourself!!

Peace!!
  • Options
    Wow!! Pearl Jam And The Grateful Dead Have A Lot In Common...

They Both Are Very Amazing Bands That Put On The Best Live Shows That People Have Ever Seen!!!

+they Are Both Fun To Watch When You Are Tripping Balls!!!

Go Smoke A Fat Bowl And Put On A 70's Era Dead Show And When You Are Done Listening To The Show You Will Know Exactly What I Am Talking About!!

Grateful Dead=very Amazing Band!!
    Pearl Jam=very Amazing Band!!

See The Comparison??

Think Before You Post Not Everyone Is As Close Minded As Yourself!!

Peace!!

Classic :D
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    i'd try to straighten you out but since you have all these bullshit sterotypes about the dead i feel it would be a lost cause.....just let me say the comparison between the dead and pearl jam lies in the fanaticism of the fan.....we know everything about the band....we will travel all over the world to see them play live....and like the dead, pj members respect us and treat us well...

nice post. there was definitely a two way respect thing going on with the dead and their fans...it was mutual love and admiration going BOTH ways. i believe pearl jam have that same respect going on and that is certainly one of their most admirable traits. i don't think i'd be as big of a pj fan if they weren't showing me some respect. both bands do/did everything possible for their fans and they always listen to what the fans want. pj give so much to us and it's so rewarding as a fan to be acknowledged. kudos to pj!

1995 changed a lot of things for me. that music did die with garcia's death. he was leader of that band, though he would never admit that. sure the spirit still lives on in other ways but it just ain't the same. there is no more grateful dead. now a days i really do cherish anyone who calls upon that great spirit to keep it alive and i have had some great "dead like" moments after garcia's passing, for which i am grateful. fanaticism at it's best for sure...anything to keep that spirit alive.

1996 changed a lot of things for me. that was the year i first saw pj play live. sure i had heard them before that but i believe, like the dead, that you don't fully realize the band's greatness until you see it happen right in front of your own eyes. after that 1996 pj show i knew something special was there and, most importantly, that my musical journey could exist after jerry's passing. so pj really helped me through a tough time, when i had lost all hope. i was searching for the sound and pj had all the right things in place to fill the void. they became my new band...a reason to hit the road, collect bootlegs, meet other fans, have fun, and cherish music, once again, in a way that it could make your inner soul shine.

i don't think i'll ever get over garcia's passing. it's been 12years now and no one has come by that could ever replace him. not even a close second.

as pj fans we all gotta realize how special this journey is. we all are extremely lucky fans for having pj around. i can only hope that it keeps going on for as long as it can. eddie never usually says see ya next year cause i believe he knows how fragile life is...who knows what can happen. just be grateful for the now. and ride the wave.

1995 saw the end of me seeing over 50 grateful dead shows
    1996 saw the beginning of me seeing over 30 pearl jam shows

i can only hope one day i can say i've seen more pearl jam shows than grateful dead shows. that is my only REAL wish

rock on my friends and keep the spirit alive :)
  • Options
    augustwest wrote:
    nice post. there was definitely a two way respect thing going on with the dead and their fans...it was mutual love and admiration going BOTH ways. i believe pearl jam have that same respect going on and that is certainly one of their most admirable traits. i don't think i'd be as big of a pj fan if they weren't showing me some respect. both bands do/did everything possible for their fans and they always listen to what the fans want. pj give so much to us and it's so rewarding as a fan to be acknowledged. kudos to pj!

1995 changed a lot of things for me. that music did die with garcia's death. he was leader of that band, though he would never admit that. sure the spirit still lives on in other ways but it just ain't the same. there is no more grateful dead. now a days i really do cherish anyone who calls upon that great spirit to keep it alive and i have had some great "dead like" moments after garcia's passing, for which i am grateful. fanaticism at it's best for sure...anything to keep that spirit alive.

1996 changed a lot of things for me. that was the year i first saw pj play live. sure i had heard them before that but i believe, like the dead, that you don't fully realize the band's greatness until you see it happen right in front of your own eyes. after that 1996 pj show i knew something special was there and, most importantly, that my musical journey could exist after jerry's passing. so pj really helped me through a tough time, when i had lost all hope. i was searching for the sound and pj had all the right things in place to fill the void. they became my new band...a reason to hit the road, collect bootlegs, meet other fans, have fun, and cherish music, once again, in a way that it could make your inner soul shine.

i don't think i'll ever get over garcia's passing. it's been 12years now and no one has come by that could ever replace him. not even a close second.

as pj fans we all gotta realize how special this journey is. we all are extremely lucky fans for having pj around. i can only hope that it keeps going on for as long as it can. eddie never usually says see ya next year cause i believe he knows how fragile life is...who knows what can happen. just be grateful for the now. and ride the wave.

i can only hope one day i can say i've seen more pearl jam shows than grateful dead shows. that is my only REAL wish

rock on my friends and keep the spirit alive :)

Great post I must say. :)
  • Options
    is this the official Pearl Jam-Greatful Dead comparison thread?
  • Options
    is this the official Pearl Jam-Greatful Dead comparison thread?

Looks to be :D
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    augustwest wrote:

SAME HERE except I got off the GD bus in 1993

good post