Options

Where does Mike fit in?

Comments

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    Mike is my favorite along with Stone, but where is Robby Kreigger (The Doors) on your list?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    This thread makes me sad because no on listens to anything but popular rock guitarists. Some great ones omitted from this thread...

Django Reinhardt
    Bill Frissel
    John Scofield
    Pat Metheny
    Robert Fripp
    Nels Cline
    Omar Rodriguez Lopez

also, Josh Homme and Johnney Greenwood cause I don't think I saw them in the thread.

But in the end, Jimi is my fave. And Jack White is OVERRATED.
  • Options
    KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
    After reading through the posts, I only found mention of 2 women -

Courtney Love - don't know much about her and Hole

and

Ani Difranco - who I know nothing about - I'm so old that her last name made me think of the " Tony DiFranco (sort of a Donny Osmond clone) and the DiFranco Family singing "Heartbeat it's a Lovebeat"

Are there any other gals who are considered to be in the same league as the men guitarists?

Take care :)
    I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.
  • Options
    Keiran wrote:

and

Ani Difranco - who I know nothing about - I'm so old that her last name made me think of the " Tony DiFranco (sort of a Donny Osmond clone) and the DiFranco Family singing "Heartbeat it's a Lovebeat"

Are there any other gals who are considered to be in the same league as the men guitarists?

YES. Forgot to mention, Carrie Brownstein. She is awesome.
  • Options
    Lot of people here seem to think Jack White isn't the greatest guitar player of his generation. I find that very strange.
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there...
  • Options
    Lot of people here seem to think Jack White isn't the greatest guitar player of his generation. I find that very strange.

He isn't and far from it. He is really good, but one of the greats? No way.

Omar Rodriguez Lopez is probably my favorite of the younger breed of guitarists cause is a real innovator.
  • Options
    Also...where the hell is TOM MORELLO in this thread?
  • Options
    I'm a little shocked at myself for not mentioning Clayton Mitchell, and Darran Smith somewhere along the lines. Although, neither of them really compair to what Mikey can do.
    "He said little man you got no buisness gettin' frustrated, you gotta rest, you gotta rest you gotta rest... Reach Doooooown... And pick the crowd up... Carry back in your hands, to the promised land!
  • Options

I just cant see Jack White being in the same school as some of these other guys.
    Even in this generation.
    Not that he's bad, but he cant touch Tremonti, Paisley, Olander, or Matt Roberts (3 Doors Down)
    "He said little man you got no buisness gettin' frustrated, you gotta rest, you gotta rest you gotta rest... Reach Doooooown... And pick the crowd up... Carry back in your hands, to the promised land!
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Tell me where Mike McCready fits in your list of top guitar players of all time... And why.

Dont rag on each other, Im just curious to hear others opinions.

Here's my list right now... It does change often.

1 - Mike McCready

2 - Mark Tremonti (Alter Bridge)

3 - Brad Paisley (Solo)

4 - Mark Kendall (Great White)

5 - Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society)

6 - Brian May (Queen)

7 - Jimmy Page

8 - Eric Clapton

9 - Joe Walsh (Eagles)

10- Ritchie Sambora (Bon Jovi)

I know shit about guitar playing, but seeing Jimmy Page at number seven makes me giggle :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    LOL

That list is a joke right?
    i agree

where's
    stevie ray vaughan, jimi hendrix, steve vai, angus young, joe perry, tom morello, jeff beck, joe satriani, david gilmour, duane allman, carlos santana, buckethead, slash, and i could go on and on and on....

... there's even a member from alter bridge? are you kidding me? and he's #2?!?!
    Camden 7-5-2003, Camden 7-6-2003, Hershey 7-12-2003, Camden 5-27-2006, Camden 5-28-2006, Lollapalooza 8-5-2007, Camden 6-19-2008, Camden 6-20-2008, New York 6-24-2008, New York 6-25-2008, Mansfield 6-28-2008, Mansfield 6-30-2008
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666
    bookmuse wrote:
    Steve Vai is a pretty sweet guitar player
    Eddie Van Halen

Im sorry, but Steve Vai? C'mon, I dont think Steve Vai is anyone even worth mentioning- he ripped off Van Halen and Joe Satriani to a ridiculous, should be illegal, type of way. I think McCready is a perfect fit for PJ, especially since he has played in this band most of his life....but he is certainly not in the top 25 in my head. My top five, mind you in no particular order are:

Jimi Hendrix
    Jorma Kaukonen
    Jerry Garcia
    Keith Richards
    Jimmy Page
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Options
    glbglb Posts: 356
    no love for Jimmy Herring?
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • Options
    Here's an updated list... Like I said, it keeps changing.

1- Mr. McCready
    2- Mark Tremonti
    3- Stephen Stills
    4- Brad Paisley
    5- Mark Kendall
    6- Joe Walsh
    7- Eric Clapton
    8- Steve Miller
    9- Brian May
    10- Jimmy Page

I saw a lot of people bash on my first list... Keep in mind, we all have different tastes. Guitar players make different lists than people who dont play guitar. Rock fans make different lists than Blues or Country fans.
    I am a guitar player, and I like all different kinds of music. Ive listened to a lot, and seen a ton of guitarist in concert. Judging by what Ive heard over the years, the guys in my list are the best. But like I said, we all have our own opinions.
    alter bridge isn't that creed without scott stapp.lol
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666

sorry, this is a topic I cannot resist. Jack White is a great, not good, great songwriter and arranger, but his style of playing is neither technically great nor is it all that original. I mean, he holds his own and it fits his songs very well, but just because he writes a mean riff doesn't make him a great guitarist.
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    keef (only one mention so far!!!!!!!!!!!)
    stone
    mr peter buck
    chad taylor
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    i agree

where's
    stevie ray vaughan, jimi hendrix, steve vai, angus young, joe perry, tom morello, jeff beck, joe satriani, david gilmour, duane allman, carlos santana, buckethead, slash, and i could go on and on and on....

... there's even a member from alter bridge? are you kidding me? and he's #2?!?!

Some of these guys would show up if I had a top 20 list, but others...
    Tom Morello is great at what he does, but he's not a great guitar player.
    Angus Young is mostly a noise generator. It's fun to hear, but his brother is a way better guitarist.
    Satriani is a ripoff artist.
    I love Slash, Jeff Beck, and David Gilmour.
    And like I said, my list is always changing.

If you could see Tremonti play live, you'd shit yourself at his technical ability. The guy can shred like those assholes from the 80's (Batio, Malmsteen), but he can also fit those solos and licks into real melodic songs. Something Via and Satriani could never do.

I know I'm stirring the pot here for a lot of music lovers, but I am a guitarist myself, and I know what it takes to play like some of these guys. I also understand that anyone on this list is a hell of a lot better than me. But I have respect for the real musicians here.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    I scanned all 78 posts in this thread and never once saw the name of Chet Atkins.

For shame.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    I think it would be easier to do it by decades
    lets just do 60's 70's, 80's and 90's for now
    Of course most cross over into other decades because these are truley some of the best ever
    60's
    Jimi Hendrix
    Eric Clapton
    Jeff Beck
    Frank Zappa

70's
    Jimmy Page
    Richie Blackmore
    David Glimour
    Duane Allman

80's
    Eddie Van Halen
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Joe Satriani
    Yngwie Malmsteen

90's
    Mike McCready
    Jerry Cantrell
    Tom Morello
    Kurt Cobain
  • Options
    Some of these guys would show up if I had a top 20 list, but others...
    Tom Morello is great at what he does, but he's not a great guitar player.
    Angus Young is mostly a noise generator. It's fun to hear, but his brother is a way better guitarist.
    Satriani is a ripoff artist.
    I love Slash, Jeff Beck, and David Gilmour.
    And like I said, my list is always changing.

If you could see Tremonti play live, you'd shit yourself at his technical ability. The guy can shred like those assholes from the 80's (Batio, Malmsteen), but he can also fit those solos and licks into real melodic songs. Something Via and Satriani could never do.

I know I'm stirring the pot here for a lot of music lovers, but I am a guitarist myself, and I know what it takes to play like some of these guys. I also understand that anyone on this list is a hell of a lot better than me. But I have respect for the real musicians here.
    clearly you haven't heard a live angus young solo - it's MUCH MUCH more than just "noise" as you so graciously have put it. his brother malcolm? is purely a rhythym guitarist.

tom morello has a certain style, yet replicated, and copied from the middle of nowhere.

as far as satriani goes - he's just good. stevie ray is a ripoff artist too, but if you can play like this, who cares where its from. your lovely mike mccready has ripped off plenty - see going to california IS given to fly.

edit: and no, i won't be seeing alter bridge simply to check out Tremonti's technical ability.
    Camden 7-5-2003, Camden 7-6-2003, Hershey 7-12-2003, Camden 5-27-2006, Camden 5-28-2006, Lollapalooza 8-5-2007, Camden 6-19-2008, Camden 6-20-2008, New York 6-24-2008, New York 6-25-2008, Mansfield 6-28-2008, Mansfield 6-30-2008
  • Options
    Keiran wrote:

and

Joan Jett
    Bonny Raitt
    Joni Mitchell
    Lita Ford
  • Options
    Dirty MosquitoDirty Mosquito Chicago Posts: 621
    Jimi Hendrix
    SRV
    Jimmy Page
    Eric Clapton
    Kim Thayl
    Tom Morello
    Pete Townsend
    Jon Greenwood
    Mike McCready
    Jerry Cantrell
    Adam Jones
    Neil Young
    Joe Strummer
    Robert Fripp
    Dave Navarro

and so many more...
    Alpine Valley 06-13-99 [EV-Solo]
    Alpine Valley 10-8-00 (The Icebowl)
    Chicago 05-16-06, 05-17-06
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Chicago 08-22-08 [EV Solo]
    Chicago 08-23-09, 08-24-09
    Chicago 06-28-11, 06-29-11 [EV Solo]
    PJ20 Alpine Valley 09-03-11, 09-04-11
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
    Wrigley Field 08-20-16, 08-22-16
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    well we all know the best guitarist from the 90's is kurt cobain.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Nels Cline? Has nobody mentioned Nels Cline? I think he's the best living guitarist...From his solo work (check out this song Confection from his Draw Breath album), to his work with Mike Watt, to his stuff with Wilco...

~Alex
  • Options
    Seriously folks, any of us that KNOW music, understand there's a large number of guitarists that are "better" than Mike at playing his particular instrument... And I'll be willing to bet Mike himself would admit it...

That being said, we all have our own opinions... Don't get me wrong either, because I like Mike's style and great energy... But there is no way he can be considered one of the best ever... Just my opinion
    10/22/90, 8/23/91, 1/3/92, 12/8/93, 12/9/93, 2/5/95, 2/6/95, 9/14/95, 9/14/96, 9/15/96, 9/16/96, 7/21/98, 7/22/98, 11/5/00, 11/6/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 5/30/03, 10/22/03, 9/1/2005, 9/2/2005, 7/6/2006, 7/22/2006
  • Options
    LOL

That list is a joke right?

id have to agree. i know everyone has their own opinion, but my opinion is that list is garbage. if you were listing your fav guitar players in a row, id understand. you just have very bad taste. but if your listing in the order of talent, you have very bad taste and youre insane.
  • Options
    I love PJ, they're the best.. both Stone and Mike has a great tone..

learn to play a guitar and your list would be much much much better IMHO.
    "I had a false belief
    I thought I came here to stay
    We're all just visiting
    All just breaking like waves.."

07/09/06
    07/10/06
    07/15/06
  • Options
    My top 3 right now:

Johnny Marr(!)
    Slash
    Tom Morello
    Paris, France 11/9 2006
    Copenhagen, Denmark 26/6 2007
    Stockholm, Sweden 7/7 2012
    Solna, Sweden 28/6 2014
  • Options
    yeah pj is my fav band ever, but anyone who is honest about the topic knows mike isnt in the top 20 guitar players of all time. of course, just with comparing any musician, you have to define "best". so many different styles. but if your talking about overall ability, and originality, he is not there. listen to warren haynes for 2 minutes and u can tell he is a much more talented guitar player. just an example...
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    As far as my "favorite" guitarists go he's in my top three. As far as "skillful" guitarists go, he's more like top 25 or so.