Where does Mike fit in?

Comments

• Options
    OK
    Not to forget Jerry Cantrell...
    ;-D
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    These conversations always kind of crack me up because who people list is entirely dependent on how they define a "great guitar player." For some people, it's songwriting. For other's it's technical ability or difficulty of their songs. For me, it is mostly about the emotional reaction I have when I hear/see them play. Based on that, Hendrix and SRV are on a world all their own. They are followed by Mike McCready and Lindsay Buckingham. I am always blown away that people ignore Lindsay Buckingham. His finger-picking style (Chet Atkins-like) is enormously difficult, and few mainstream guitarists could duplicate it without immense amounts of practice. There are times where it sounds like he's playing three guitars at once. It's incredible. I'd also throw in David Gilmour, Jimmy Page, Omar Rodriguez Lopez, and Robby Krieger. Also, it always cracks me up when I see Tremonti on these lists. At no point have I ever thought that blatantly stealing others' riffs and chord progressions made someone a great guitar player.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    Everyone is forgetting the slew of "founding fathers" of the guitar as we know it.

Lightning Hopkins, Mississippi John Hurt, Howlin' Wolf, Elmore James, Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, Buddy Guy, ROBERT JOHNSON.......I can go on and on....
    "You would be punctilious in assuming that."
  • Options
    scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    Darrell Lance Abbott A.K.A. Dimebag Darrell
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • Options
    BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    2 - Mark Tremonti (Alter Bridge)
    uhhhh why?????
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    list of my favorite guitarists:

Jimmy Page
    Jimi Hendrix
    Mike McCready
    Adam Jones
    Tom Morello
    Stone Gossard
    John Frusciante
    Eric Clapton
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    Baba OBaba O Posts: 1
    Love Mike.......love him....
    But Ani Difranco, blows him out of the water acoustically, another acoustic god is Mr. Cat Stevens.....
    Jack White is a genious.....
    And Uncle Neil, would be up there as well.......Probably numero Uno!
    Still got buckets of love for Mike though!!!!
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    Ok, well I'd have to put Mike, and about 100 other guitarists ahead of fuckin Tremonti...that said, I'd say Mike is probably in the top 20 or 30 of guitarists...even though he is the reason i started playing guitar...I cant say he is better than David Gilmour or Duane Allman and the like...I would say he is the best of the 90's however.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Mike fits in very well in my room, playing guitar for me
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    chris01 wrote:
    Mike is one of my fav's, my no.1 is John Frusciante but Mike is up there with the best.

I was waiting for someone to say that. He's my #1 also.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    chris01 wrote:
    Mike is one of my fav's, my no.1 is John Frusciante but Mike is up there with the best.

he's good in the studio, but when he plays live he blows. not to mention that he wouldnt even be a guitar player if it werent for Hillel Slovak. i respect him, though.
  • Options
    iljaiyailjaiya Posts: 15
    WHAT?!? No love for Ritchie Blackmore?
  • Options
    he's good in the studio, but when he plays live he blows. not to mention that he wouldnt even be a guitar player if it werent for Hillel Slovak. i respect him, though.

Ok saying he wouldn't be a guitar player if it weren't for Hillel Slovak is completely irrelevant, seeing how almost everybody has somebody who got them into guitar. And he blows live??? I think it's just a difference in interest of styles there. He doesn't play as many notes as he can in a second, which a lot of people do. He pays more attention to the notes he's playing than how many notes he's playing, and his funky style just happens to give me an erection when I hear it.

I guess some people are just different... :(

EDIT: I love Ritchie Blackmore too
  • Options
    Serious man... you're entitled to your opinion, but remember, we're not here to tear each other down!
    hahaha... im all about respecting others opinions... but when the band "alter bridge" is mentioned i cant help but laugh... and bon jovi?? waaaahahahahaha.... and yes.... sadly mike would not make my top 10... definitely top 20 tho... as far as best musicians go... id put stone ahead of mike... stone writes some INCREDIBLE shit
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    chris01 wrote:
    pfft... let me guess... youre the guy from rolling stone who put kurt cobain on the list of best guitarists?... chili peppers were 10x better with navarro anyway...

• Options
    JkingyJkingy Posts: 46
    I've always admired and enjoyed listening to John Frusciante play, but like the majority, consider Hendrix and the like to be far above him, but dude... I saw the chilis play at earls court last year, and they played 'Don't Forget me', and the solo he played at the end of it nearly had me crying and spunking all at once, I've never heard anything like it...so I don't think he blows live :)...just my two cents...
  • Options
    AFEAFE Posts: 3
    Mike has been recently recognized with his great guitar work. Ranking 100 of the greatest guitar solos in history he is acknowledged twice with Alive at #44 and Ledbetter at #95
  • Options
    i know we're not suppossed to do be negative here but how is jack white a top guitarist? they play the most basic riffs ever. . . i havent played my guitar in months and i could pick it up today and play just about any white stripes song within 10 minutes

Man, Jack White is a brilliant guitarist. He keeps his White Stripes stuff minimal for a reason. He wants to see how much he can do with the confines of just two insturments and vocals. Listen to the Raconteur album and watch some live shit on youtube, he is one of the best going today without a doubt.
  • Options
    AFE wrote:
    Mike has been recently recognized with his great guitar work. Ranking 100 of the greatest guitar solos in history he is acknowledged twice with Alive at #44 and Ledbetter at #95

Yeah... greatest SOLOS... solo is the keyword there. We have no idea how many times he tried those solos, or how long it took him. I love Mike, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that that might not be the best argument to bust out if you ever talk about this again.
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I agree with the poster who said that it's not talent or anything, but what just really gets you going.

So, easily my number one would be Neil Young. :) Just unbelievable. I dare you to watch his video of Like A Hurricane on youtube at the Old Grey Whistle or whatever it's called and not have your jaw hanging open. Simply love the man.

Don't know where I would put Mike, but I love him too. :)
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    Pretty high..

Technically he's not the top dog, but he's without a doubt one of the more solid lead players in modern rock music. People tend to forget that he NEVER has an off night.. he's always on fire. His style has really defined my own (I grew up and grew into a musician with Pearl Jam sooo there you go..) so I tend to favor him over most everyone.

In no order..

Jimi, Mike McCready, Gilmour, Uncie Neil, Billy Corgan...
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    pfft... let me guess... youre the guy from rolling stone who put kurt cobain on the list of best guitarists?... chili peppers were 10x better with navarro anyway...
    that's strait up bullshit. Navarro did a decent job filling in, but Frusciante is superb.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,867
    how do you have a guitarist list without Jimi and SRV? Clapton?

MIke is great, and I love him, but he is way down on the list. He will always be overshadowed by his frontman Eddie Vedder.

Though I do think Mike has improved over the years far more than most have. He seems to get better everytime I see him.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I think he's in the top 3 players in modern mainstream rock, along with Slash and Frusciante.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,213
    1. duane allman
    2. jimi hendrix
    3. Eric clapton
    4. B.B. king
    5. Jimmy page
    6. Les paul
    7. Chuck Berry
    8. David gilmour
    9. Don Felder
    10. Derek Trucks
    11. Peter Frampton
    12.Warren Haynes
    13 Buddy Guy
    14. Dickey betts
    15 James burton
    16. allen collins
    17.stephen stills
    18 stevie ray vaugn(reason he is so high on list is because he was very sloppy live)
    19. keith richards
    20 Mike McCready
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Tell me where Mike McCready fits in your list of top guitar players of all time... And why.

Dont rag on each other, Im just curious to hear others opinions.

Here's my list right now... It does change often.

1 - Mike McCready
    2 - Mark Tremonti (Alter Bridge)
    3 - Brad Paisley (Solo)
    4 - Mark Kendall (Great White)
    5 - Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society)
    6 - Brian May (Queen)
    7 - Jimmy Page
    8 - Eric Clapton
    9 - Joe Walsh (Eagles)

10- Ritchie Sambora (Bon Jovi)
    Clapton at number 8? No Rory Gallagher? You little tinker, you're having a laugh with us aren't you? Oh and I see Brian May at number 6. I love your sense of humour.

Sorry Mike may be a part of the greatest band but he's not the best.
  • Options
    Hi!
    I like to buy a acustic or electric guitar.
    I want to Know that models are best (and aren´t very expensive).
    My friends tell me about Fender, Ephipone...
    Can you help me????
    What do you think?Why?

I like the Zakk Wylde´s guitar but I thinks that I haven´t got much money... ahahaha
    Thanks!
    XX
  • Options
    the problem with asking this question is the difference between the ability to play and how much you like the guitarists. (If that makes sense). And once you start playing, you start to gain a new respect even for players you don't like. (Not to knock you guys that don't play.) For instance, I can not stand Eddie Van Halen. I just don't like him. But being a guitarist myself, that motherfucker has TONS of respect from me because of his ability to play.
  • Options
    the problem with asking this question is the difference between the ability to play and how much you like the guitarists. (If that makes sense). And once you start playing, you start to gain a new respect even for players you don't like. (Not to knock you guys that don't play.) For instance, I can not stand Eddie Van Halen. I just don't like him. But being a guitarist myself, that motherfucker has TONS of respect from me because of his ability to play.
    I think alot of people automatically associate speed with skill and thats why its hard to accurately rank... i mean BB King never played the fastest but every single fuckin note really meant something... thats my problem with eddie van halen... tho he definitely has alot more talent than alot from his generation... joe satriani has to be number one for me
    Hi!
    I like to buy a acustic or electric guitar.
    I want to Know that models are best (and aren´t very expensive).
    My friends tell me about Fender, Ephipone...
    Can you help me????
    What do you think?Why?

I like the Zakk Wylde´s guitar but I thinks that I haven´t got much money... ahahaha
    Thanks!
    XX
    i assume everything we have here is also available in spain... and i recommend if youre just starting out that you get an acoustic.... you should be able to find a relatively cheap fender or ibanez or even a washburn to start with... the zakk wylde have a pretty cool paint job and epiphone offers a cheaper model tho i think its still in the $500-$700 range because the artist signature ones are always more... good luck and happy playing

• Options
    Here's an updated list... Like I said, it keeps changing.

1- Mr. McCready
    2- Mark Tremonti
    3- Stephen Stills
    4- Brad Paisley
    5- Mark Kendall
    6- Joe Walsh
    7- Eric Clapton
    8- Steve Miller
    9- Brian May
    10- Jimmy Page

I saw a lot of people bash on my first list... Keep in mind, we all have different tastes. Guitar players make different lists than people who dont play guitar. Rock fans make different lists than Blues or Country fans.
    I am a guitar player, and I like all different kinds of music. Ive listened to a lot, and seen a ton of guitarist in concert. Judging by what Ive heard over the years, the guys in my list are the best. But like I said, we all have our own opinions.
    "He said little man you got no buisness gettin' frustrated, you gotta rest, you gotta rest you gotta rest... Reach Doooooown... And pick the crowd up... Carry back in your hands, to the promised land!