Options

Where does Mike fit in?

GardenOfStoneGardenOfStone Posts: 21
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Tell me where Mike McCready fits in your list of top guitar players of all time... And why.

Dont rag on each other, Im just curious to hear others opinions.

Here's my list right now... It does change often.

1 - Mike McCready

2 - Mark Tremonti (Alter Bridge)

3 - Brad Paisley (Solo)

4 - Mark Kendall (Great White)

5 - Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society)

6 - Brian May (Queen)

7 - Jimmy Page

8 - Eric Clapton

9 - Joe Walsh (Eagles)

10- Ritchie Sambora (Bon Jovi)
"He said little man you got no buisness gettin' frustrated, you gotta rest, you gotta rest you gotta rest... Reach Doooooown... And pick the crowd up... Carry back in your hands, to the promised land!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Of course he's my favorite guitarist in my favorite band....but in reality.

....He'd be about 30th on my list.
  • Options
    B niceB nice Posts: 182
    srv
    jimi
    jack white
    life has nothing to do with killing time
    Bring it on cause I'm no victim

b nice loves pearl jam like ed vedder loves america
  • Options
    LOL

That list is a joke right?
  • Options
    Mike's awesome!!!...but there's about 5 or 6 guitarists I put ahead of him on my list...David Gilmour holds the #1 spot.
    was it?....
  • Options
    LOL

Serious man... you're entitled to your opinion, but remember, we're not here to tear each other down!
    "He said little man you got no buisness gettin' frustrated, you gotta rest, you gotta rest you gotta rest... Reach Doooooown... And pick the crowd up... Carry back in your hands, to the promised land!
  • Options
    FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    there have been some great guitarist.........just not sure he would crack my top ten.

IMO, just not sure he's in the same group as Jimi, Stevie Ray, Jimmy Page, PT, Stanley Jordan........
  • Options
    LOL

I hope so....because it sure made me laugh! haha

2000 - Indianapolis(8/18)
    2003 - Champaign(4/23), Indianapolis(6/22),
    Columbus(6/24), Hershey(7/12)
    2006 - Chicago (5/16), Chicago (5/17), Cincinnati (6/24)
    2007 - Vic -Chicago (8/2), Lollapalooza - Chicago (8/5)
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I like Mike... and he is great... and his work fits Pearl Jam like a glove...
    BUT... not up there with Jimi, Eric, Jeff, Jimmy, Stevie Ray, Duane Allman, John McLaughlin, Tommy Bolin, Peter Frampton or Jack White.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Jimi
    SRV
    Clapton
    BB King
    Page
    Richards
    Townsend
    Waren Haynes
    Eric Johnson
    Jeff Beck
    Chuck Berry
    Santana
    Mark Knopfler
    Buddy Guy
    EVH
    Buckingham
    Neil
    Angus Young
    Les Paul
    Bo Diddly
    Kirk Hammet
    Allman
    Veron Reid
  • Options
    B niceB nice Posts: 182
    Bronson Arroyo
    life has nothing to do with killing time
    Bring it on cause I'm no victim

b nice loves pearl jam like ed vedder loves america
  • Options
    MohabMohab Posts: 310
    Mcready is awesome, plays with a lot of feel and is quite original while at the same time derivitive, a great lead guitarist, but Gossard is obviously the tru guitar wizard in Pearl Jam in my poorly read (and spelt) books
  • Options
    I love Mike but can think of at least 30 guitarists who are better
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    sennin wrote:

i respect you for your honesty. :D
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    taratara Posts: 293
    he's up there with jimi, and those allman bros dudes
    No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.
    Albert Einstein
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    mikes good but there are bout 30-40 guitarist that are better then him
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    bookmusebookmuse Posts: 277
    Steve Vai is a pretty sweet guitar player
    Eddie Van Halen
    "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" ~ M Kuhn
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    B nice wrote:
    srv
    jimi
    jack white
    i know we're not suppossed to do be negative here but how is jack white a top guitarist? they play the most basic riffs ever. . . i havent played my guitar in months and i could pick it up today and play just about any white stripes song within 10 minutes
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    in my opinion, mike is the best guitarist to come out of the 90s, BUT hed have to be ranked in the 40s or 30s of the best of all time.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472
    He's pure love, baby!
  • Options
    RushlimboRushlimbo Posts: 832
    Courtney Love
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength
  • Options
    i know we're not suppossed to do be negative here but how is jack white a top guitarist? they play the most basic riffs ever. . . i havent played my guitar in months and i could pick it up today and play just about any white stripes song within 10 minutes

+1... a lot of people like jack white's music and that's fine (i suppose), but i saw the raconteurs opening for bob dylan and i can't say i was overly impressed with his guitar playing. it seemed kinda bland to me. i don't know... maybe i'm just getting old...

hendrix tops my list, hands down. then there's clapton, page, SRV, slash, bb king, les paul, tony iommi, randy rhoads, many others... i could go on forever. mike mccready is great, and he was probably the sole reason why i started playing guitar myself, but i wouldn't put him quite on the same level as some of those other guys. perfect fit for pearl jam though.
  • Options
    leethalleethal Posts: 134

I hear what your saying but you couldn't get that tone in 10 minutes. Sure his riffs are simple but he manages to fill so much space with great fills. Have you heard him play slide guitar live? He is incredible. That said i prefer Hendrix, page, and company.

My personal favourite guitar player is Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys. Simple and primitive but he is untouchable in terms of rythm and style (which is based totally on personal opinion of course.) That said i love mike; particularly on Yield and Binaural. Also love stone, there is only one stone.

I thought id mention that i can not tolerate Malmsteem, Vai, or Van Halen. How can they have so much talent and still produce rubbish? I hate each their tone and i hate their music. I can definitely understand why people like them because of their talent. Their music on the other hand is insufferable. I know i shouldn't say that but i hate the way my favourite players (Mike included) are looked down upon by these guys.
  • Options
    leethalleethal Posts: 134
    in my opinion, mike is the best guitarist to come out of the 90s, BUT hed have to be ranked in the 40s or 30s of the best of all time.

If you told Mike was the 40th best guitarist of all time he would be stoked. He would probably place himself lower; i think part of what makes my favourite players great (mike included) is that they don't approach guitar with their ego. Its much more tastelful that way; particularly in the context of a band such as Pearl Jam. I love watching interviews where Hendrix denies his talent. He did not think he was the greatest player. The "shredding elite" that think they are the greatest become preoccupied with meaningless technicalities.
  • Options
    B nice wrote:
    Bronson Arroyo
    hhahahhah
    See you @: Camden I, Camden II & MSG II
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Mike is one of my fav's, my no.1 is John Frusciante but Mike is up there with the best.
  • Options
    pjten77pjten77 Posts: 225
    sennin wrote:
    Jimi
    SRV
    Clapton
    BB King
    Page
    Richards
    Townsend
    Waren Haynes
    Eric Johnson
    Jeff Beck
    Chuck Berry
    Santana
    Mark Knopfler
    Buddy Guy
    EVH
    Buckingham
    Neil
    Angus Young
    Les Paul
    Bo Diddly
    Kirk Hammet
    Allman
    Veron Reid

I second this list.....only Duane Allman would be at the top and Derek Trucks would be added
    Toronto-96/Barrie-98/Pittsburgh-00/Toronto-00/Buffalo-03/Toronto-03/Kitchener-05/Toronto-05/Hamilton-05/Toronto I-06/Toronto 2-06/E.V. Toronto- 08/ Toronto- 09/Buffalo-10/Hamilton- 11/ London- 13/ Buffalo- 13/Detroit- 14/Ottawa-16/Toronto II-16/Fenway I & II- 16
  • Options
    wow!no mention for jerry cantrell?
    also randy rhodes rip.
    but my personal favourite is zakk wylde.
    COYS!
  • Options
    if you don't think Jack White is a great guitar player it's because all you know are the singles on the radio.

if you heard deeper tracks, you'd realize his exquisite style
    was it?....
  • Options
    One guy I always wonder gets left off is Randy Rhoads. He was an amzing guitarist!! Not saying he was best or anything I just think people forget him.
    Lizardking

http://www.myspace.com/lizardkings1

(This Post May Have Been Edited By AT&T)
  • Options
    cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    sennin wrote:

I'm the same