Options

2017 Pearl Jam Complete Vinyl Box Set

Comments

• Options
    One question. If you ordered these albums one by one from 10club and they came unsealed would you all be ok with it?  It makes no sense they came unsealed.  Album and box.
  • Options
    PJamminPJammin Posts: 572
    doctorvik said:
    If anyone wants this for cost before I return it pm me 

Sent you a PM>
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,206
    edited November 2017
    One question. If you ordered these albums one by one from 10club and they came unsealed would you all be ok with it?  It makes no sense they came unsealed.  Album and box.

i wouldn't think anything of it. i'm a record nerd, plenty of albums i have purchased have come without a seal/plastic/wrap. it's not that uncommon. 
    Post edited by AndySlash on
  • Options
    AndySlash said:
    i wouldn't think anything of it. i'm a record nerd, plenty of albums i have purchased have come without a seal/plastic/wrap. it's not that uncommon. 
    See, this I can’t comprehend.  Record nerds obsess with tiny details, original inner sleeve, original sticker on the plastic, minute scuff on the cover so much they put a heavy Mylar sleeve on it.  Yet you tell me you purchase a record and it’s open upon delivery and you’re ok with this?  I’ve shopped in record stores for 20 years and have NEVER purchased a new record that wasn’t sealed.
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,206
    edited November 2017
    not all record nerds obsess over minute shit. 

have you ever ordered from a label? or direct from an indie band? or worked in a record store? maybe you'd have seen it then. you've never bought an unsealed, new 7"? opened sleeves seems more common with those.

sure, this set coming from sony and being unsealed is 'odd'. but as someone else said, the petty box set that came out last year had unsealed records in it, too. plenty of other examples out there, too. in this case, though, the box itself is also unsealed. i suspect that sony packaged the box set with all of the reissues unsealed inside the unsealed box, and 10c added overstock/leftovers of the last two records, which were sealed, and that's what was shipped out. i could be wrong. the most curious part to me isn't that there were unsealed records inside, it's that there's a mix of sealed and unsealed records. but using critical thinking skills, it's not hard to put together why that might be. and even if it isn't, i have absolutely no doubt that these are ALL new copies, and so i couldn't give two shits if they came in a plastic wrap or not.
    Post edited by AndySlash on
  • Options
    Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890
    AndySlash said:
    See, this I can’t comprehend.  Record nerds obsess with tiny details, original inner sleeve, original sticker on the plastic, minute scuff on the cover so much they put a heavy Mylar sleeve on it.  Yet you tell me you purchase a record and it’s open upon delivery and you’re ok with this?  I’ve shopped in record stores for 20 years and have NEVER purchased a new record that wasn’t sealed.
    It's more common in Europe than in the US that new records maybe unsealed, also I received plenty records where I bought directly from the artist that were unsealed.  Not a big deal at all.
  • Options
    Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890
    Also all of the Hockey Talkter singles I have purchased are unsealed.....
  • Options
    wwsuicidewwsuicide Posts: 1,304
    If there is anyone else that is looking to recoup their investment, please let me know as I would love to purchase!  Thank you!
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited November 2017
    Just wondering why people are still wanting this box set now. It's the same records that you can buy individually for MUCH cheaper, and you probably already own 7 of the 10. Is the box worth that much?

Other than the box, the only things new are the Binaural, Riot Act, and Pearl Jam Reissues.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,341
    This thread is a head scratcher. Fans getting bent out of shape over records and a box. The music is great and we've all heard these albums / songs thousands of times. Pop the CD in your car, or stream the album through whatever service you subscribe to, and enjoy the music. 
  • Options
    Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    BF89905 said:
    This thread is a head scratcher. Fans getting bent out of shape over records and a box. The music is great and we've all heard these albums / songs thousands of times. Pop the CD in your car, or stream the album through whatever service you subscribe to, and enjoy the music. 
    Dude, I'm with you for the most part.  Not so much of a head scratcher to me though.  The comments rolling out of people's mouths after finding out about the limited to 500 deal were ridiculous.  Someone even commented to the effect of "this is the new Benny."  So a bunch of buyers (flippers) that thought they could hold on to this and make a grand or two in a few years are pissed now.  For what it's worth (not a whole lot), if the boxes that wind up on the vitalogy store are sealed - I think it legitimizes the bitch, to an extent..... But not nearly to the point of some of these comments.  The cynic in me says this was only limited so that vitalogy could auction for ridiculous prices, and that specifically numbered boxes were kept back for that purpose as well.  I'd like to think I'm wrong about that.

I had one in my cart thinking I could mull over the price for a few hours and then decide.  By the time I decided, they were gone.  I probably would've pulled the trigger, and if it arrived sealed, the plastic would already be out with the trash and each record played.  
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Options
    I didn’t buy it so I have no real care in the matter.  However, if I did buy it and received 8 of my 10 records open, the box I bought it in was unsealed and getting #581 out of 500 I’d be a bit upset.  Like I said, I don’t care but I certainly understand the complaints.
  • Options
    doctorvikdoctorvik granger, IN Posts: 123
    edited November 2017
    to each their own, I already have all of the albums (opened and spun) and bought this to KEEP as a collectors item, not to flip. Coming the way it is it is not worth keeping as a collectors item.  When I buy a NEW item at best buy or ebay or anywhere --  I would expect that item to be sealed and not opened.  
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    I don't understand what anyone would complain about. The product came as advertised. Unless it came damaged, what's the problem? 

Why would you assume every individual item in a box set would be sealed? Most box sets that I've opened don't have sealed product inside.

Why would the erroneous numbering be a disappointment? Benaroya Hall vinyl still goes for astronomical prices with 10c numbering outside of the original print run.

What was promised that wasn't delivered?
  • Options
    doctorvikdoctorvik granger, IN Posts: 123
    edited November 2017
    "most box sets I've opened" ... the box set was already open and the albums were opened.  And my box was already peeling.  The ten boxset came shrinkwrapped if I am not mistaken.  This came as an open box with loose open albums crammed in it.
    If you bought a new iphone and it came without shrinkwrap and the phone didnt have the wrap on it either would that be okay ??
    Post edited by doctorvik on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,175
    I have to agree with the other guy.  Most record boxsets I've bought only shrink wrap the outside of the box, not the records inside (and I think this includes the previous boxsets put out by the band).  I guess it's a bit weird the didn't srhinkwrap the outside of it, but it's normal not to shrink wrap the records inside of it.
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    Its probably a good idea the 2 in shrinkwrap because if the box is tight, those die cut sleeves would get messed up. 
  • Options
    doctorvik said:
    This was a total rip off ... a bunch of used open albums thrown/ stuffed  into a box. Tenclub should be ashamed of themselves for this -- I am ashamed of myself for buying it.

We're happy to issue a refund.

Please send your return to the address below with a note explaining the reason for your return or exchange.
    Please include your order number.

Ten Club Merchandise Returns (order number)
    PO BOX 81429
    SEATTLE, WA 98108-1329

Thanks
    Ten Club

Does this also cover the shipping back from the customer? Do you cover the inconvenience of customs costs following buying "a bunch of used open albums thrown/ stuffed into a box"?

And, will this years single be the bees knees? That last newsletter got me hyped. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    Just wondering why people are still wanting this box set now. It's the same records that you can buy individually for MUCH cheaper, and you probably already own 7 of the 10. Is the box worth that much?

Other than the box, the only things new are the Binaural, Riot Act, and Pearl Jam Reissues.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    lets face it.  people are upset because this was a poor "investment".  people also whipped themselves into a frenzy expecting autoed boxes, original pressings, colored vinyl.  there is disappointment there.

and if the numbers >500... dont fret.  the number of people who will ever view that card is probably 1.  the number of people who would care is the same.  
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    lets face it.  people are upset because this was a poor "investment".  people also whipped themselves into a frenzy expecting autoed boxes, original pressings, colored vinyl.  there is disappointment there.

and if the numbers >500... dont fret.  the number of people who will ever view that card is probably 1.  the number of people who would care is the same.  
    What's upsetting is that the boxset is a hodge podge.  It was thrown together, the records were not specifically made for the boxset.
  • Options
    I'm glad that every studio album now is available so I don't care if they are sealed or not!! (And yes I have ordered the complete. Box set to) 

Ps: sealed pj vinyl records a bad for the environment!!!!
  • Options
    And now I want the next box set on vinyl limited of 500 (and I want number 501) 

1.live on two legs 
    2. Lost dogs
    3. Rvm
    4. Benny
    5. Vault one on vinyl
    6. Live on ten legs 
  • Options
    RPelletierRPelletier Toronto, Canada Posts: 52
    #151 arrived at my door last night
    Hey.  Do you like Pearl Jam?
  • Options
    And now I want the next box set on vinyl limited of 500 (and I want number 501) 

1.live on two legs 
    2. Lost dogs
    3. Rvm
    4. Benny
    5. Vault one on vinyl
    6. Live on ten legs 
    These are going in my extra box.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    Did we really expect them to repress a bunch of records limited to 500?

Im blown away by the complaints also, seems people will complain about ANYTHING these days. Especially in Pearl Jam land
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

Im blown away by the complaints also, seems people will complain about ANYTHING these days. Especially in Pearl Jam land
    Yes Paul, I thought that was happening.  Others do it all the time so it's not that far fetched...
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Sony should have sealed the box.  The number issue isn’t an issue and it’s been addressed.  If they had sealed it, it wouldn’t appear so thrown together.

as mayday said above, this was almost an anti-flipper move or something because anyone who purchased this with the intent on flipping as an investment or whatever is screwed!

I’ve gotten lots of open unsealed records, but never gotten an unsealed “new” box set.  Unless it’s used, a new box set comes sealed, records inside unsealed.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    doctorvik said:
    to each their own, I already have all of the albums (opened and spun) and bought this to KEEP as a collectors item, not to flip. Coming the way it is it is not worth keeping as a collectors item.  When I buy a NEW item at best buy or ebay or anywhere --  I would expect that item to be sealed and not opened.  
    doctorvik said:
    "most box sets I've opened" ... the box set was already open and the albums were opened.  And my box was already peeling.  The ten boxset came shrinkwrapped if I am not mistaken.  This came as an open box with loose open albums crammed in it.
    If you bought a new iphone and it came without shrinkwrap and the phone didnt have the wrap on it either would that be okay ??
    Doesn’t affect collectibility whatsoever.

If your box is peeling, get it replaced.

An iPhone and items from Best Buy is a false equivalency. If you’ve never got a new record that wasn’t wrapped, you may not be quite the collector you think you are. 

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,021
    edited November 2017
    pdalowsky said:

Pressing something in 500 copies isn't uncommon. 

But so, this is just the empty box but with random vinyls laying around thrown in and then the "limited to 500 copies" is really just about "us putting in the vinyls in the box for you". The limited thing, that makes this worthy of a letter saying it's limited to 500 (600) copies is that they took the time to put in in the box (that they sold by itself). 

So the difference between;
    - buying the empty box and putting your own vinyls in.
    - Sony/10c putting the vinyls for you in the empty box

is what makes them believe that this is worthy of a "limited to 500 copies" COA?  

Isn't that insane?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on