Options

2017 Pearl Jam Complete Vinyl Box Set

Comments

• Options
    People really think they are going to get a surprise set of colored reissued LPs? Sure, it would be nice, but its not 10c's style people. The descriptions tend to match what is received. Right?
    Two words for you...

Mad Splatter
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I get playing the imagination game, I do, but if they were going to be anything other than what the product description read, they would have said so. For you kids who didn't have a shot at getting the original pressings along the way and picked up this box set? Good onya! What a cool way to get them all!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited September 2017
    pdalowsky said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    With all due respect to all who asked if it would come back in stock... it's an empty box. And it cost $45. Why would you want it to come back in stock?!
    Lol, that is a pretty good question. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind buying this box. Do people really think it will be fun to have to pull that whole box off the shelf and dig into it every time they want to play a PJ album? I see the box as product packaging for the boxset, and that's it. $45 USD plus shipping is damn expensive for packaging!

My questions are 1) why in the world they made the boxset limited to 500. That seems kind of crazy. Why wouldn't it have a bigger release?? and 2) Why is it so expensive? Isn't it cheaper to just buy each reissue individually? Shouldn't the complete boxset cost less than buying each one at a time? ... Lol, actually, maybe my second question answers the first. The mass market would figure that out, while 10C members will just buy anything if it's limited, so they cranked up the price by $100 or so. Why they limited it to 500 just within the 10C members only sale is still beyond me though. Really weird.
    I thought it was genius. I was apparently wrong on flipping, but still, they might not have sold 10, let alone 500 if it wasn't stamped "limited edition"
    I'm still surprised it sold out, and even more surprised they are already being flipped for a profit.

This is my guess on how that meeting went down.
    Dude A: "We need a way to sell all 10 albums, together, for a higher than retail price. Lets say $350"
    Dude B: "But they have a combined retail for like $250, or closer to $200 if you go through Amazon."
    A: "Lets throw some cardboard in and all it a box"
    B: "I dont think the fans are that gullible, sir."
    A: "And then list it as limited to 500, we'd sell out in minutes if its limited!"
    B: "I like the way you think."

They're only mistake I guess was not making it a "limited edition" of 5000.
    I so hope these are actually colored vinyl limited to 500.  Can you imagine the uproar that'll cause?!?
    Lol. Well, I suppose it would cause an uproar. :lol: I really hope that they are coloured vinyl, for the sake of everyone who bought one, since that's the only way the boxset isn't insanely overpriced. :)
    isnt 'insanely overpriced' a bit of an exaggeration? 
    I guess it's relative, lol. To me, $100+ USD overpriced is insane, but I'm sure to others not so much. ;) (edit: FWIW, i'm just sayin'... I'm not suggesting that those who want these things shouldn't buy them or anything - buy whatever, I don't care. My comments are more about 10C decisions and where they're coming from with their merchandising, not about what fans want. I get why people want limited stuff - sometimes I do too).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    People really think they are going to get a surprise set of colored reissued LPs? Sure, it would be nice, but its not 10c's style people. The descriptions tend to match what is received. Right?
    Two words for you...

Mad Splatter
    Ah, well fuck. There you go. I believe I coined that term too. Sheesh! Imaginate on my friends.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Two words for you...

Mad Splatter
    Ah, well fuck. There you go. I believe I coined that term too. Sheesh! Imaginate on my friends.
    You've got Even Bros and Mad Splatter.  I still use both of them, lol!
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited September 2017
    PP193448 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    PP193448 said:
    ssweaks said:
    Would just have been nice if they had stated that both were limited edition in the first place.  I know that would have made me pull the trigger on the purchase quicker.  Now I'm just hoping someone puts an empty box on Ebay that I can get.

Not saying you, but that's the problem with the system.  If they put "limited" on stuff, then it sells out fast because there are lots of people that will buy it to flip or use as trade bait, and would not have purchased one if it wasn't limited.  The word limited shouldn't be used with PJ stuff.  Just type either PJ limited or PJ rare on eBay and you will see all that stuff with crazy mark ups just because of those words.  It's ridiculous.
    My issue* is the wording of presale without specifying it is limited.  Typically a presale would mean that they are taking orders, perhaps to determine what kind of run there will be.  Every time in the past, we have had months to decide.  This notice went out on a Sunday, with numerous other items available.  Being busy, out and about, I intended on getting to work Monday morning, and purchasing some vinyl and this box, maybe to save on shipping.... or if shipping would be too much/delayed, create separate orders.  It is tough to monkey around on the mobil site shop.  I think it was a reasonable expectation that the box was going to be readily available.

*by issue, it means the 1,000th thing I am concerned with, not really a huge deal.
    Agreed.  It was a presale.  And was not initially listed as limited.  I was lucky enough to have been working and even got reminder text from fellow ten clubber about it being the 10th.  I actually waited for about 30-45 min or so, then decided to get only 1 box set.  Just thought it might be nice collection item as I have all the original US versions already.  This was around the same time that there was speculation about it being limited.  It was changed on the listing in the shop shortly afterward to limited.  It's really odd that it happened that way.  Of course that's when people decided to buy more than 1, and the fucking flippers got some.
    Dont worry.  Maybe the good folks at Collexionzz will give you the great 'opportunity' to join the 'collecting community' and pay 500 bucks for a box..... or if not, Im sure some raffles will pop up and you can pay $25 for a 1 in 50 chance to win one.  lol,

"Collecting" has become the worst thing and I dont enjoy thinking about it any more.  I stopped acquiring for the most part.  If my dog needs cataract surgery, I'm thinking of getting rid of a lot of my stuff to pay for it.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    PP193448 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    PP193448 said:
    ssweaks said:
    Would just have been nice if they had stated that both were limited edition in the first place.  I know that would have made me pull the trigger on the purchase quicker.  Now I'm just hoping someone puts an empty box on Ebay that I can get.

Not saying you, but that's the problem with the system.  If they put "limited" on stuff, then it sells out fast because there are lots of people that will buy it to flip or use as trade bait, and would not have purchased one if it wasn't limited.  The word limited shouldn't be used with PJ stuff.  Just type either PJ limited or PJ rare on eBay and you will see all that stuff with crazy mark ups just because of those words.  It's ridiculous.
    My issue* is the wording of presale without specifying it is limited.  Typically a presale would mean that they are taking orders, perhaps to determine what kind of run there will be.  Every time in the past, we have had months to decide.  This notice went out on a Sunday, with numerous other items available.  Being busy, out and about, I intended on getting to work Monday morning, and purchasing some vinyl and this box, maybe to save on shipping.... or if shipping would be too much/delayed, create separate orders.  It is tough to monkey around on the mobil site shop.  I think it was a reasonable expectation that the box was going to be readily available.

*by issue, it means the 1,000th thing I am concerned with, not really a huge deal.
    Agreed.  It was a presale.  And was not initially listed as limited.  I was lucky enough to have been working and even got reminder text from fellow ten clubber about it being the 10th.  I actually waited for about 30-45 min or so, then decided to get only 1 box set.  Just thought it might be nice collection item as I have all the original US versions already.  This was around the same time that there was speculation about it being limited.  It was changed on the listing in the shop shortly afterward to limited.  It's really odd that it happened that way.  Of course that's when people decided to buy more than 1, and the fucking flippers got some.
    Dont worry.  Maybe the good folks at Collexionzz will give you the great 'opportunity' to join the 'collecting community' and pay 500 bucks for one..... or if not, Im sure some raffles will pop up and you can pay $25 for a 1 in 50 chance to win one.  lol,

"Collecting" has become the worst thing and I dont enjoy thinking about it any more.  I stopped acquiring for the most part.  If my dog needs cataract surgery, I'm thinking of getting rid of a lot of my stuff to pay for it.
    Waffles man, waffles. Hahaha!

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,071
    MayDay10 said: If my dog needs cataract surgery, I'm thinking of getting rid of a lot of my stuff to pay for it.
    Benny?
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    PP193448 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    PP193448 said:
    ssweaks said:

Dont worry.  Maybe the good folks at Collexionzz will give you the great 'opportunity' to join the 'collecting community' and pay 500 bucks for a box..... or if not, Im sure some raffles will pop up and you can pay $25 for a 1 in 50 chance to win one.  lol,

Nobody likes a quitter...
  • Options
    MayDay10 said: If my dog needs cataract surgery, I'm thinking of getting rid of a lot of my stuff to pay for it.
    Benny?
    I would probably keep most of my vinyl because I actually use them.  Worthless junk that people have made businesses out of like posters, stickers, and picks.  
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    Benny?
    I would probably keep most of my vinyl because I actually use them.  Worthless junk that people have made businesses out of like posters, stickers, and picks.  
    ...Thems fightin words...

Let's keep socks out of this and we are all good...
  • Options
    "Worthless junk" describing posters is rough. That is someones art that they took the time to make for fans.  
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited September 2017
    Chris (ab)uses his socks.

(Inappropriate video link removed. We’re an all-ages forum. Please see the Posting Guidelines. - Admin)
    Post edited by Kat on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    edited September 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    With all due respect to all who asked if it would come back in stock... it's an empty box. And it cost $45. Why would you want it to come back in stock?!
    Lol, that is a pretty good question. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind buying this box. Do people really think it will be fun to have to pull that whole box off the shelf and dig into it every time they want to play a PJ album? I see the box as product packaging for the boxset, and that's it. $45 USD plus shipping is damn expensive for packaging!

My questions are 1) why in the world they made the boxset limited to 500. That seems kind of crazy. Why wouldn't it have a bigger release?? and 2) Why is it so expensive? Isn't it cheaper to just buy each reissue individually? Shouldn't the complete boxset cost less than buying each one at a time? ... Lol, actually, maybe my second question answers the first. The mass market would figure that out, while 10C members will just buy anything if it's limited, so they cranked up the price by $100 or so. Why they limited it to 500 is still beyond me though. Really weird.

MayDay10 said:
    Benny?
    I think that depends on the collector.  I collect posters but they're all from shows I was at.  So they're framed around the house (mostly PJ, but now other bands are on the bandwagon so at least i've got some variety now).    Sure there's a few of the uglier ones I left in tubes, or I paid a little too much to track down some older ones that were sold out when I attended the show.    I don't consider them worthless to me.   Same with guitar picks.   I don't have any PJ one's as I've never been close to the rail, but I do have some from Weezer, Everclear, Alice in Chains, etc....   I keep albums full of all the ticket stubs from shows I've attended (I would guess I've been to 200 or 300 concerts by now, only 25 of which were PJ).   If I get a pick I put it in the album with the stub.   Always a cool memory (which now just trigger a memory of seeing Motley Crue, and Nikki Sixx smashing his guitar and a chunk of the pick guard landing on my wife, who gave it to me to put in my stub album).

Not sure where I was going with that, but I think some of the items you listed really help spark peoples fun concert memories.

I know there's lots of people who collect beyond that, but there's a chunk of us that collect like that.   Obviously if I live too old there won't be anyone left that would give a crap about it, but I'll enjoy them until I die (or get dimentia).

The stickers though... that's the one I don't get :)
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited September 2017
    I'm doing stickers instead of posters now.  Smaller footprint, more economical, and don't require $150 for pro framing.

That said, I'm still not paying more than $2-5 for a sticker.  $20 on ebay my ass!!
  • Options
    Zod said
    I think that depends on the collector.  I collect posters but they're all from shows I was at.  So they're framed around the house (mostly PJ, but now other bands are on the bandwagon so at least i've got some variety now).    Sure there's a few of the uglier ones I left in tubes, or I paid a little too much to track down some older ones that were sold out when I attended the show.    I don't consider them worthless to me.   Same with guitar picks.   I don't have any PJ one's as I've never been close to the rail, but I do have some from Weezer, Everclear, Alice in Chains, etc....   I keep albums full of all the ticket stubs from shows I've attended (I would guess I've been to 200 or 300 concerts by now, only 25 of which were PJ).   If I get a pick I put it in the album with the stub.   Always a cool memory (which now just trigger a memory of seeing Motley Crue, and Nikki Sixx smashing his guitar and a chunk of the pick guard landing on my wife, who gave it to me to put in my stub album).

Not sure where I was going with that, but I think some of the items you listed really help spark peoples fun concert memories.

I know there's lots of people who collect beyond that, but there's a chunk of us that collect like that.   Obviously if I live too old there won't be anyone left that would give a crap about it, but I'll enjoy them until I die (or get dimentia).

The stickers though... that's the one I don't get :)
    I get that.  Posters from shows I have been to would be hard to get rid of.... for the most part (although the 'need' to create numerous posters including variants for some shows helps feed my anti-'collecting sentiment)....  also the one pick I got at a show I wouldnt get rid of... and I always keep ticket stubs.  That's different.  
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    The box sets sat for 3 hours while people laughed at the stupidity of paying an extra $100 for a piece of paper. Then ebay has them going for double and triple and people feel burnt. For me it's about completeness. Yes, you could buy Blu Rays individually, but the complete trilogy in a box, or all 6 seasons of Lost or Game of Thrones etc. usually has more appeal. The Beatles Mono could be purchased individually, but people prefer the set. Years from now when it is harder to acquire ten different Pearl Jam vinyl from  sellers, having a box set of sealed records that can give you the whole catalog at once will have value. Oasis did it, and other bands probably will follow. Complete U2, R.E.M., Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, etc.  would be highly sought by collectors out even if they are available to purchase one by one.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    The box sets sat for 3 hours while people laughed at the stupidity of paying an extra $100 for a piece of paper. Then ebay has them going for double and triple and people feel burnt. For me it's about completeness. Yes, you could buy Blu Rays individually, but the complete trilogy in a box, or all 6 seasons of Lost or Game of Thrones etc. usually has more appeal. The Beatles Mono could be purchased individually, but people prefer the set. Years from now when it is harder to acquire ten different Pearl Jam vinyl from  sellers, having a box set of sealed records that can give you the whole catalog at once will have value. Oasis did it, and other bands probably will follow. Complete U2, R.E.M., Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, etc.  would be highly sought by collectors out even if they are available to purchase one by one.
    Yeah, I know what you mean.  I bought this for only $150...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cake-Vinyl-Box-Set-Record-Store-Day-2014-175g-Colored-Vinyl-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/232474707872?hash=item36209287a0:g:1uwAAOSwurZZF1iP
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Two words for you...

Mad Splatter
    How is my Mad Splatter doing.  Can't say that I even miss it.  Glad it got to a good home.  Still kicking myself for not gouging you or taking it to EBay!!  :lol:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited September 2017
    Who here likes Ben Harper, Dave Matthews, & Pearl Jam?  Cuz that fucker listed this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/322749645778

• Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    Who here likes Ben Harper, Dave Matthews, & Pearl Jam?  Cuz that fucker listed this:

:open_mouth: 
  • Options
    RPelletierRPelletier Toronto, Canada Posts: 52
    edited September 2017
    $1,300 is steep, but look how much you save on shipping....only  $46.47 to Canada!
    Hey.  Do you like Pearl Jam?
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    $1,300 is steep, but look how much you save on shipping....only  $46.47 to Canada!
    That and the delivery time is much better than what 10 club is offering!
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,231
    10c shipping was actually cheaper.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    10C shipping for me is $52.09
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,848
    edited September 2017
    Horse2345 said:
    It was? Not for me here in the Maritimes.

Sub Total: $349.99
    Standard: $67.48
    Total: $417.47
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,231
    demetrios said:
    Horse2345 said:
    It was? Not for me here in the Maritimes.

Standard: $67.48
    Total: $417.47
    Yea I forgot it was based on where you live, it was around $44 for mine in BC.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    yep.  To Toronto.
    Standard: $52.09
    Total: $402.08
    I think it may have given me 2 options for shipping, and the other option was $67.48
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013

Anyone willing to pay $1300 for this deserves to pay $1300 for this.
    Just wish it went to charity instead of a flipper or something. 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,848
    edited September 2017
    You guys and your cheap shipping rates.

Did anyone in St. John's, Newfoundland score one? Wonder what their shipping rate would be?
    Post edited by demetrios on