The Food Thread

1343537394080

Comments

  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South PhillyPosts: 11,082
    I'm reading Drew Magary's Funbag, and it got to ranking types of cheese balls...and all I can say is....

    THESE, MOTHERFUCKERS


  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commetsPosts: 14,199
    I don't think I have sampled those.  I find cheeseballs to be utterly disgusting, yet completely & wonderfully addictive. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South PhillyPosts: 11,082
    I don't think I have sampled those.  I find cheeseballs to be utterly disgusting, yet completely & wonderfully addictive. 
    That's absolutely the right take on cheese balls. The ones above? No way you're not finishing the entire container in one sitting.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 26,970
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of foreverPosts: 19,220
    hedonist said:
    What in the Sam hell is Chihuahua cheese?

    As to cilantro, have given it a go several times, but nope.

    (Well, I tried, didn't I? Goddammit, at least I did that)

    Does it taste like soap? I've hear that from some people - I know cilantro is one of those foods some people just can't eat/like due to their taste buds being different.
    Not soapy, but...quite a disagreeable taste / aftertaste - sort of like Thai basil (LOVE the standard everyday kind though).
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 12,368
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:
    What in the Sam hell is Chihuahua cheese?

    As to cilantro, have given it a go several times, but nope.

    (Well, I tried, didn't I? Goddammit, at least I did that)

    Does it taste like soap? I've hear that from some people - I know cilantro is one of those foods some people just can't eat/like due to their taste buds being different.
    Not soapy, but...quite a disagreeable taste / aftertaste - sort of like Thai basil (LOVE the standard everyday kind though).

    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of foreverPosts: 19,220
    When I was a kid, I ate one of those small decorative soap things someone had in their guest bath.  Looked like candy :angry:
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 12,368
    hedonist said:
    When I was a kid, I ate one of those small decorative soap things someone had in their guest bath.  Looked like candy :angry:
    You’re the reason why we can’t have Kinder eggs in the US. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of foreverPosts: 19,220
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    When I was a kid, I ate one of those small decorative soap things someone had in their guest bath.  Looked like candy :angry:
    You’re the reason why we can’t have Kinder eggs in the US. 
    YOU'RE the reason!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 12,368
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    When I was a kid, I ate one of those small decorative soap things someone had in their guest bath.  Looked like candy :angry:
    You’re the reason why we can’t have Kinder eggs in the US. 
    YOU'RE the reason!
    I knew that was coming. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • LizardLizard So CalPosts: 11,867
    you CANNOT have a good salsa WITHOUT cilantro
    just saying
    Is it over yet? #ITMFA
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 12,368
    Lizard said:
    you CANNOT have a good salsa WITHOUT cilantro
    just saying
    Truth
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 11,370
    Lizard said:
    you CANNOT have a good salsa WITHOUT cilantro
    just saying
    False
    Cilantro isn't even from the same continent as tomatoes and chilis, which are the only truly necessary ingredients for salsa.

    Also, it's a flavor that is hated by many and it abjectly ruins salsas when overused, or if you are unfortunate enough to buy bolted coriander.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 11,370
    When the conquistadors discovered native Americans eating salsa, there was no cilantro in sight.

    I don't hate it, but I don't find it necessary either.  It's like many other herbs, if you can taste it overtly, you've used too much.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambs said:
    When the conquistadors discovered native Americans eating salsa, there was no cilantro in sight.

    I don't hate it, but I don't find it necessary either.  It's like many other herbs, if you can taste it overtly, you've used too much.
    Isn't that Pico de gallo then and not salsa?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 11,370
    rgambs said:
    When the conquistadors discovered native Americans eating salsa, there was no cilantro in sight.

    I don't hate it, but I don't find it necessary either.  It's like many other herbs, if you can taste it overtly, you've used too much.
    Isn't that Pico de gallo then and not salsa?
    Salsa, salsa fresca...cook it or not, doesn't matter, tomatoes and chilis!

    Of course, I would never make a salsa of any type without onion, garlic, and salt, but I don't cook anything without the glorious three.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commetsPosts: 14,199
    I came to know all tacos of the good variety (on the street) to have cilantro.
    Maybe it's an LA thing.

    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commetsPosts: 14,199
    Neil Gamby seems to know food...and really know farm fresh food better than most of us....but should we take taco knowledge from a dude from Ohio?
    :lol:
    Hats off to ya brother....but I'm going with Mexican know how on tacos and salsa,!

    Liz ..Dan....we ride tonight!

    :)

    I'd still love to taste the salsas without cilantro that Neil Gamby cooks up
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 11,370
    I use cilantro lol
    Just not very much.

    I used to like it more and then I grew some and it bolted and ruined me on it.
    When it bolts to seed the flavor intensifies, in a bad way, and it grows like a weed.  I had coriander volunteers coming up in earnest for 2 seasons and I still find it coming up in the yard and the woodline 4 years later!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commetsPosts: 14,199
    So you tried your little experiment and you blame beautiful cilantro?
    Lol
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Volunteers are ...so hard...to find 'round these parts...
  • rgambs said:
    I use cilantro lol
    Just not very much.

    I used to like it more and then I grew some and it bolted and ruined me on it.
    When it bolts to seed the flavor intensifies, in a bad way, and it grows like a weed.  I had coriander volunteers coming up in earnest for 2 seasons and I still find it coming up in the yard and the woodline 4 years later!
    Cilantro I have come to accept is a grow it, harvest it and replant it type of herb.  Same thing with lettuce.  They don't last long.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of foreverPosts: 19,220
    Fuck cilantro!

    My mom planted watercress and mint in the backyard of my first childhood home.  Beautiful, and grew wildly, abundantly.  And much enjoyed.
  • hedonist said:
    Fuck cilantro!

    My mom planted watercress and mint in the backyard of my first childhood home.  Beautiful, and grew wildly, abundantly.  And much enjoyed.
    Mint is a damn weed!  Tomatoes seem to thrive with them around though!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 43,509
    edited November 2017
    Lizard said:
    you CANNOT have a good salsa WITHOUT cilantro
    just saying
    Agreed. If I get a house-made salsa at a restaurant, there better be cilantro in it!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 16,671
    Home made vodka sauce and penne. 

    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commetsPosts: 14,199
    You had me at Vodka

    Made burgers tonight.  Grass fed.  Simple salting and cook in a cast iron pan.
    Lettuce
    Tomatoes
    Pickles
    Heinz
    And..... breaking from traditional approach I put mustard on.
    Beer mustard, inspired by our recent posts on the subject of mustard.

    Bangin'

    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 16,671
    You had me at Vodka

    Made burgers tonight.  Grass fed.  Simple salting and cook in a cast iron pan.
    Lettuce
    Tomatoes
    Pickles
    Heinz
    And..... breaking from traditional approach I put mustard on.
    Beer mustard, inspired by our recent posts on the subject of mustard.

    Bangin'

    nice!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 11,370
    Classic tuna noodle for us tonight, the taste of my childhood.
    Elbow macaroni
    Cream of mushroom
    Tuna
    Onion
    Sharp Cheddar
    Peas on the side
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 12,368
    rgambs said:
    Classic tuna noodle for us tonight, the taste of my childhood.
    Elbow macaroni
    Cream of mushroom
    Tuna
    Onion
    Sharp Cheddar
    Peas on the side
    The tuna pasta recipe from an early Deep issue is a good deviation from the childhood standard from time to time. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
Sign In or Register to comment.