Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I'm a don't knock it till you try it kind of guy, but raw egg is a tough sell for me.
    There's no slimyness?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I would be more inclined to try it with just the yolk and not the white.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    rgambs said:
    I'm a don't knock it till you try it kind of guy, but raw egg is a tough sell for me.
    There's no slimyness?
    The texture changes with the other items in but, yes, there is still some of that there.  If you add more rice I am sure that makes most of it go away, I have no issue with it so it is tough for me to guess how bothersome that might be to you/or not. 
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    edited September 2017
    How hot is the rice when you put the egg in?  Recipes I looked up say hot rice, I think.  Assume that cooks the egg a bit.  Kind of like a carbonara. 
  • Options
    Hmmm.
    I think I'll have to give it a shot, try it with just the yolk first, because it isn't as snotty.

I'd bet that the fresher the egg the better for this dish, I'll plan ahead and then wait until I hear the egg song and crack it while it's still at body temperature.
  • Options
    Yes, the rice is meant to be warm. 
    Another tweak I make is that I like it to be cold, better...or just barely warm.  A rare usage of the Nuker for me, I can nuke it for 20 seconds.
    The texture still says raw egg was in the mix. 

Let me know what you think!  (Sure it is not for everyone, but fuck me if I don't love it.  My wife just about throws up every time I do this.)
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Another tweak I make is that I like it to be cold, better...or just barely warm.  A rare usage of the Nuker for me, I can nuke it for 20 seconds.

Let me know what you think!  (Sure it is not for everyone, but fuck me if I don't love it.  My wife just about throws up every time I do this.)
    I'm sure that's not the only thing you do that nauseates her. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

I'm sure that's not the only thing you do that nauseates her. 
    Yes, you observed some of the more natural behaviors on more than one occasion which might fit that bill. 
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Yeah, this was done one time on a whim and it is not part of my recipe.  ;)

That thick cut bacon will be an addiction as well.

Looking good thick cut bacon... looking good
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    How hot is the rice when you put the egg in?  Recipes I looked up say hot rice, I think.  Assume that cooks the egg a bit.  Kind of like a carbonara. 
    I can handle carbonara just fine. For some reason this dish makes me wary, but if the rice was hot enough to kind of cook it, maybe. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited September 2017
    i_lov_it said:
    Ms. Haiku said:
    i_lov_it said:
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I baked brownies based on a recipe from "Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar." I'm very happy with the results. I'm going to try the recipe again but switch out chocolate chips and add white chocolate chips, and switch out canola oil and add apple sauce with a reduction in sugar. Also, I will add 1/8 tsp ground ginger to brighten the chocolate. Should be good!

Wait a minute!...you used a Vegan recipe that used Chocolate Chips?
    You bring up a good point. Some chocolate chips are vegan. I am not vegan so I didn't use that as a criteria, I just used a brand that I was familiar with. I'm looking at the ingredient list on the bag, and it looks like they are vegan, no whey and no casein. I don't see any milk powder as they are semi-sweet.

Ok great so Vegan Chocolate Chips then?...hey as long as the Biscuits taste good that's the main thing right :tongue:

Just starting reading this thread and perhaps this has already been covered but..... cacao is vegan. It's a plant product. If you add any dairy product you're just ruining it. Dark chocolate is the only real chocolate. 
    Hey I do know that Cacao is a plant product...but that's not what we're talking about we're talking about Chocolate here mmmmmmmmmm...and yes I really like Dark Chocolate too :tongue:
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:
    Ms. Haiku said:
    i_lov_it said:
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I baked brownies based on a recipe from "Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar." I'm very happy with the results. I'm going to try the recipe again but switch out chocolate chips and add white chocolate chips, and switch out canola oil and add apple sauce with a reduction in sugar. Also, I will add 1/8 tsp ground ginger to brighten the chocolate. Should be good!

You bring up a good point. Some chocolate chips are vegan. I am not vegan so I didn't use that as a criteria, I just used a brand that I was familiar with. I'm looking at the ingredient list on the bag, and it looks like they are vegan, no whey and no casein. I don't see any milk powder as they are semi-sweet.

Ok great so Vegan Chocolate Chips then?...hey as long as the Biscuits taste good that's the main thing right :tongue:

Just starting reading this thread and perhaps this has already been covered but..... cacao is vegan. It's a plant product. If you add any dairy product you're just ruining it. Dark chocolate is the only real chocolate. 
    Hey I do know that Cacao is a plant product...but that's not what we're talking about we're talking about Chocolate here mmmmmmmmmm...and yes I really like Dark Chocolate too :tongue:
    Well, chocolate is made from cacao beans...
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    They have a lunch buffet at the Alumni Club everyday, with a different cuisine each week. This week is Greek, so we went.... pretty bad for the most part, lol, but it's a buffet for only $11, so we never expect much. But anyway, what was delicious was the honey greek yogurt with fruit, and that reminded me.... As a dessert, I LOVE Liberté Méditerranée (dessert because it's so high in fat it may as well be ice cream), and they just recently came out with a Lavender one, and it is sooooo delicious! Such a delicate taste to it, but rich at the same time. I've always loved the lavender and other kind of flowery flavours. I was a big fan of Thrills gum as a kid, and I still really like those little button candy things that taste like various flowers. Anyone else a fan of the flower flavours?

Lavender Flavoured Yogurt???...that's different we don't get that here...
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:
    Ms. Haiku said:
    i_lov_it said:
    Ms. Haiku said:

Well, chocolate is made from cacao beans...
    Aaaaand ..... proper dark chocolate is vegan. 

See how simple it is?
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Soft or hard?

How do you take your taco?
  • Options
    Dont forget the please!
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Oyster season is starting. I picked up a dozen Connemara coast oysters today. 
    Usually I just go lemon but I had a craving to make a mignonette to go with them. 
  • Options
    I like all tacos

If we are talking the street food from Mexico, I go with small handmade tortilla.... corn please.... cilantro, pico de gayo, meat, onions.  Like carnitas, carne asada, lengua, chorizo, chicken, and most of all, Al pastor.
    I can power down a lot of them, late night.  Miss taco trucks late night grinding in LA.

• Options
    I love tacos too. 

But this is my breakfast today. Simple and delicious. 

• Options
    Pomegranate seeds there? 
  • Options
    Pomegranate seeds there? 

Yes, along with red grapefruit and the last of the local strawberries and peaches.
  • Options
    I am an anti-oxidant dream today ;)
  • Options
    I just took some good pizza out of the freezer and reheatsd.  Not nearly as good, but hit the spot.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Having some *****VEGAN***** Salad ;):tongue:
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    eddiec said:
    Usually I just go lemon but I had a craving to make a mignonette to go with them. 
    I fucking love oysters

I usually only go a small dash of lemon and at times a little tobasco. Mignonette does hit the spot from time to time. Little vinegar and shallot never hurt anyone 
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    @jlaustin  Where are you?  They are talking oysters here!
  • Options
    I love tacos too. 

But this is my breakfast today. Simple and delicious. 

I love putting pomegranate on my salads.  Absolutely love it.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    eddiec said:
    I fucking love oysters

I usually only go a small dash of lemon and at times a little tobasco. Mignonette does hit the spot from time to time. Little vinegar and shallot never hurt anyone 
    I changed my mind and went with oysters 5 ways.