Options

Oil, name something .....

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

leave oil to the things that can only be made with it, and use renewables for everything else. But no, we have president saying he doesn't like wind power because "the turbines are big and ugly".

So that's where the term originated...
    big + ugly = bigly :lol:

We had a big stink locally about 10-12 years ago when they started putting up windmills on the mountain ridges. Mostly from old people complaining that it was an eyesore and a disgrace to nature. Funny how they've all stared at the electric lines spanning those same mountains for the last 130 years and couldn't seem to be bothered by it.
    funny, when I typed "big and ugly", I made the exact same connection to "bigly" that you did!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    it's a constant fight to just get dedicated bike lanes in Winnipeg. the sheer amount of hate from the general public towards cyclists is incredible.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/01/trump-u-s-may-get-another-chance-to-take-iraqi-oil.html

Don't worry GF president bafoon will make sure we have enough oil for all of us ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    http://amp.usatoday.com/story/93447830/
    We can always just keep on doing this ...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543

leave oil to the things that can only be made with it, and use renewables for everything else. But no, we have president saying he doesn't like wind power because "the turbines are big and ugly".

So that's where the term originated...
    big + ugly = bigly :lol:

We had a big stink locally about 10-12 years ago when they started putting up windmills on the mountain ridges. Mostly from old people complaining that it was an eyesore and a disgrace to nature. Funny how they've all stared at the electric lines spanning those same mountains for the last 130 years and couldn't seem to be bothered by it.
    Old people hate change.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

it's a constant fight to just get dedicated bike lanes in Winnipeg. the sheer amount of hate from the general public towards cyclists is incredible.

Hahaha. This made me giggle just because Vancouver's mayor (aka Mayor Moonbeam, lol) is weirdly obsessed with bike lanes and people are always complaining about it because it's so overboard. Even in all our unusual snowstorms this winter, when Vancouver is not really equipped for that much snow removal, bike lanes were getting cleared while sidewalks and roads weren't. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Preaching to the choir. I gave up road cycling for fear of serious injury or worse, losing my damn life. It's pretty ridiculous how many times people actually TRIED to hit me on my bike. Though almost all can be avoided, accidents will happen. It's a risk you take when you get on a bike or in a vehicle. But to purposely aim for cyclists is just downright sickening. You wouldn't do it to a pedestrian on foot, wtf do you have against a bicycle?
    I've found when talking to some of these motorists who have this sense of entitlement to the road and blind hatred for cyclists usually have an ignorance of motor vehicle laws. A bicycle IS a motor vehicle and therefore must be ridden on the road, not the sidewalk. That said, cyclists also have to abide by the laws of traffic. I've had the misfortune of knowing a few smug cyclists who also think the rules of the road don't apply to them, and it pisses me off that those types give the rest of us responsible cyclists a bad rap.
    But still, the bottom line is if you see a cyclist on the road, it takes zero to little effort to heed caution and NOT be a dick.
  • Options

Preaching to the choir. I gave up road cycling for fear of serious injury or worse, losing my damn life. It's pretty ridiculous how many times people actually TRIED to hit me on my bike. Though almost all can be avoided, accidents will happen. It's a risk you take when you get on a bike or in a vehicle. But to purposely aim for cyclists is just downright sickening. You wouldn't do it to a pedestrian on foot, wtf do you have against a bicycle?
    I've found when talking to some of these motorists who have this sense of entitlement to the road and blind hatred for cyclists usually have an ignorance of motor vehicle laws. A bicycle IS a motor vehicle and therefore must be ridden on the road, not the sidewalk. That said, cyclists also have to abide by the laws of traffic. I've had the misfortune of knowing a few smug cyclists who also think the rules of the road don't apply to them, and it pisses me off that those types give the rest of us responsible cyclists a bad rap.
    But still, the bottom line is if you see a cyclist on the road, it takes zero to little effort to heed caution and NOT be a dick.
    yes, I see all too often cyclists that will decide a red light is an inconvenience and switch to the sidewalk to cross with the pedestrians while still riding. or just blow through every stop sign. not long ago there was a bike in the bus/bike lane. he was in the middle of the lane. he has every right to be there. a car behind him (who was there legally, as he was turning), wouldn't lay off the horn at the cyclist, I presume because he was in the middle of the lane, not by the curb.

recently they redid some of the road divider paint to make the car lines a tad smaller and add a cycling lane. does nothing. cars don't give a shit. or they just don't know. either way, cycling isn't going away. I see more and more people even doing it in the winter here. now that's dedication.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

yes, I see all too often cyclists that will decide a red light is an inconvenience and switch to the sidewalk to cross with the pedestrians while still riding. or just blow through every stop sign. not long ago there was a bike in the bus/bike lane. he was in the middle of the lane. he has every right to be there. a car behind him (who was there legally, as he was turning), wouldn't lay off the horn at the cyclist, I presume because he was in the middle of the lane, not by the curb.

recently they redid some of the road divider paint to make the car lines a tad smaller and add a cycling lane. does nothing. cars don't give a shit. or they just don't know. either way, cycling isn't going away. I see more and more people even doing it in the winter here. now that's dedication.
    Witness the glory of protected bike lanes - 35 miles in Minneapolis and growing

And that doesn't include Minneapolis Grand Rounds, nearly 40 miles of dedicated bike paths

Suck it Portland
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629
    I'm liking all the bike talk. I've ridden every day for years in four Oregon cities, all with pluses and minuses. I hear good things about Minneapolis. Getting decent infrastructure always seems like a battle, and I agree, the most dangerous ones are the entitled drivers who are also ignorant of the law. I've never been hit, and I l've talked with drivers after some close calls. The ones that weren't paying attention are apologetic, the ones trying to intimidate backpedal pretty quickly when they're outside of their vehicle. It seems like a lot of California drivers don't have any idea how to drive with cyclists on the road.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Biking to work doesn't feel like an option for me at all, since I work on top of a mountain and have no desire to get into good enough shape to do that every day. :lol: Plus it rains here so much... However, I still live car free, and would encourage anybody who can possibly manage that to do the same, or, if that's not possible, to use their cars as infrequently as they possibly can. I do think people should change their thinking, so that ultimate convenience isn't always the top priority.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Biking to work doesn't feel like an option for me at all, since I work on top of a mountain and have no desire to get into good enough shape to do that every day. :lol: Plus it rains here so much... However, I still live car free, and would encourage anybody who can possibly manage that to do the same, or, if that's not possible, to use their cars as infrequently as they possibly can. I do think people should change their thinking, so that ultimate convenience isn't always the top priority.

And when I first moved to Oregon, the cycling infrastructure made my wife and I owning just one car a no brainer. There was a stand alone bike path that covered about 90% of the distance from my apartment to where I worked.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

And that doesn't include Minneapolis Grand Rounds, nearly 40 miles of dedicated bike paths

Suck it Portland
    Awesome.

I don't ride on the roads either. I'm an avid mountain biker. When people ask me why I don't ride on the streets, I reply, "I'd rather take my chances with me in complete control of my bike on the mountain than I would on the streets running amok with idiots who either don't see me or concern themselves with me."

There's way too many idiots we share the road with. We've had a number of cyclists hit by cars. A few of them have been fatal. Hell we've had people crossing the road at controlled intersections including children in designated speed zones hit by idiot drivers.

I have taught my children to 'always account for the moron' (not everyone will do what you think or expect they'll do).

* But to those images... I'd be riding there for sure.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    Cycling is my passsion! Been riding and racing bikes for years now. But I will not ride on a road with cars. Ever! I'm a side walk guy
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    edited March 2017
    I'm also a cycle commuter. I ride year-round, rain, snow and shine (not much snow in Victoria, but this year we had several weeks of freezing weather and icy roads). I am fortunate that over 90% of my commute is on multi use paths (called the Galloping Goose, for some reason). I also do longer recreational rides on the weekend, and try to run all the errands by bike that I can.

Nice to see such a good cycling community on here.

Edit: Cycling culture is gradually improving here. We have a number of dedicated bike lanes in the downtown core, and motorists are gradually becoming accustomed to us, with grumbles.
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I feel safer riding on the road than driving.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

CM189191 said:

Suck it Portland
    Awesome.

I don't ride on the roads either. I'm an avid mountain biker. When people ask me why I don't ride on the streets, I reply, "I'd rather take my chances with me in complete control of my bike on the mountain than I would on the streets running amok with idiots who either don't see me or concern themselves with me."

There's way too many idiots we share the road with. We've had a number of cyclists hit by cars. A few of them have been fatal. Hell we've had people crossing the road at controlled intersections including children in designated speed zones hit by idiot drivers.

I have taught my children to 'always account for the moron' (not everyone will do what you think or expect they'll do).

There are some pretty decent single track mtb trails around here too. Minneapolis Off Road Cyclists maintain the trails.

https://www.morcmtb.org/trail/

I'm pretty sure the northwest has a leg up here.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    I finally thought of something people make that is not (at least not always, anyway) tied to oil:

Love.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    brianlux said:

I finally thought of something people make that is not (at least not always, anyway) tied to oil:

Love.

Depends on what you're into :i_dunno:

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013

With pretty much anything, it's the annoying 10% that give the whole group a bad rep. I imagine the ones that hate cyclist picture the annoying ones, the ones that ride on the edge of the bike lane so you're afraid to pass, or don't even bother to hug the shoulder when there isn't a bike lane making it impossible to pass. I definitely get my share of frustration with bikers.
    In my experience it's the serious bikers who are the worst. Which is unfortunate because then it does impede on a city from being more bike friendly. It can get very annoying when you cross paths with a clueless biker. And everyone I know who has that hate towards bikers it's because of scenarios like that, and nothing to do with the concept of biking.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

Suck it Portland
    Awesome.

There are some pretty decent single track mtb trails around here too. Minneapolis Off Road Cyclists maintain the trails.

https://www.morcmtb.org/trail/

I'm pretty sure the northwest has a leg up here.
    Looks pretty good from the few links I clicked on.

Our terrain is very diverse and offers mountain bikers many different rides. My friends and I typically ride to the top of some mountain and then scoot down. We're older and we don't do black diamonds coming down. The rides are so much fun. On any given day, there are 2-8 of us having a blast. We jokingly call ourselves the Hells Satans after the Simpsons goofy motorbike gang with Homer, Barney and Apoo.

http://www.tourismkamloops.com/mountain-biking-in-kamloops-british-columbia

Kamloops has been the training grounds for several high profile mountain bikers- most recently Catherine Pendrel who overcame a crash early in her race and won a bronze medal at the summer Olympics this past year. There's many more.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    edited March 2017
    Post deleted by Admin
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

With pretty much anything, it's the annoying 10% that give the whole group a bad rep. I imagine the ones that hate cyclist picture the annoying ones, the ones that ride on the edge of the bike lane so you're afraid to pass, or don't even bother to hug the shoulder when there isn't a bike lane making it impossible to pass. I definitely get my share of frustration with bikers.
    In my experience it's the serious bikers who are the worst. Which is unfortunate because then it does impede on a city from being more bike friendly. It can get very annoying when you cross paths with a clueless biker. And everyone I know who has that hate towards bikers it's because of scenarios like that, and nothing to do with the concept of biking.
    Usually there's good reason to not be fully in the bike lane. There can be glass or some other crap in it, or it can run alongside parked cars, whose drivers open their doors without looking. And not riding as far right as possible is often done to avoid drivers attempting to squeeze between the cyclist and the center lane. If you've been passed by a driver by about 10 inches, you'll understand why they do this. When there's room to pass safely, then they'll be room to pass. Drivers also attempt to do the hole shot between the oncoming car and the cyclist.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/01/trump-u-s-may-get-another-chance-to-take-iraqi-oil.html

Don't worry GF president bafoon will make sure we have enough oil for all of us ...

this is not what this thread was about but........
    this is the United States of America, a country where even a closet muslim can gather enough fools to vote for him
    not once but twice....some folks just don't pay attention.

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    edited March 2017
    Post deleted by Admin.
    See the Posting Guidelines.
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options

this is the United States of America, a country where even a closet muslim can gather enough fools to vote for him

lol dude you voted for the biggest con artist to ever run for office anyway I don't want to derail thread ...
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Hahaha good old Godfather, disproving every theory BS puts forward on Trump voters!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    edited March 2017

There is so much wrong with this statement.

Do you feel that one's religion has any correlation to one's ability to be a successful President?
    Do you feel it's justifiable to vote for someone based on what religion they belong to?

Have you ever thought about this: maybe Obama's voters don't subscribe to blatant bigotry via unjust and unrealistic stereotypes, and rather they thought that he was the better candidate in both elections?

Edit: If people are in fact as ignorant as you, and would vote based on religion, then Obama would be right to be a 'closet Muslim' so as not to lose votes because of 'closet xenophobes'.
    Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,202

PJ_Soul said:

And when I first moved to Oregon, the cycling infrastructure made my wife and I owning just one car a no brainer. There was a stand alone bike path that covered about 90% of the distance from my apartment to where I worked.
    for you guys who bike to work, don't you sweat? so when you finally get to work don't you smell? this is why i wouldn't bike to work.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

PJ_Soul said:

for you guys who bike to work, don't you sweat? so when you finally get to work don't you smell? this is why i wouldn't bike to work.
    Not much in the morning. The summers are really dry and it cools down enough overnight, usually into the 40s where I am now.