Options

Let's 'retrack' Lightning Bolt!

Comments

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    SBM is just brutal.... brutal i say. skip that song every time
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244

PJ_Soul said:

if future days and sirens weren't on it, i'd love it.

I could also do without LTRP. It's pretty bad. And SBM doesn't fit in. But without those four, if they were replaced by four good songs that fit the overall feel better, it would be a really good album. Lol, so basically change 1/3 of it. ;)
    It is just stunning that after 4 years SBM, Future Days, and LTRP made an album. Not a fan of Sirens but can't argue with the popularity amongst the masses.
    It is stunning.
    I force myself to listen to LTRP and SBM if it ever comes up during the shuffle.
    Those songs are like most of Riot Act minus Green Disease.
    Pearl Jam has been around too long to experiment w/ their fans.
    Sirens is great.

Blasphemy! How dare you diss Riot Act :)
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755

PJ_Soul said:

I could also do without LTRP. It's pretty bad. And SBM doesn't fit in. But without those four, if they were replaced by four good songs that fit the overall feel better, it would be a really good album. Lol, so basically change 1/3 of it. ;)
    It is just stunning that after 4 years SBM, Future Days, and LTRP made an album. Not a fan of Sirens but can't argue with the popularity amongst the masses.
    It is stunning.
    I force myself to listen to LTRP and SBM if it ever comes up during the shuffle.
    Sirens is great.

False. Pearl Jam has been around too long to get lazy and complacent with their fans. More experimentation, please.
  • Options
    tbergs said:

PJ_Soul said:

It is stunning.
    Sirens is great.

My bad.
    :wink:
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mcgruff10 said:

If we're splitting hairs, "Of the Earth" isn't from the Lightning Bolt sessions, neither were the two not to be named songs and "Olè" was (I think) from Backspacer sessions.
    Then again I'm diagnosed OCD and maybe the only one who cares.

I didn't really get the comments of those songs being on there either. they wouldn't fit.

They should release an Of The Earth EP, with every studio attempt they've made to record it. Maybe it would be a full length. I wonder how many times they've tried it?
    why wouldn't they fit? those two songs are way better than 3 or 4 songs off of lighting bolt. who cares when they were recorded. (hello betterman lol)
    it's not when they were recorded. they are completely different stylistically than anything off LB. flow matters on a record.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JoostoneJoostone Posts: 230
    LTRP has 'b-side' all over it. Just like 'black, red, yellow', 'U' or 'Leatherman', songs I all like better then LTRP ;). Future Days is just ok. SBM is actually a lovely song, but I prefer the uke version by a mile. And even if I kinda like the full band version it's still out of place on LB.
    PJ: Pinkpop 2000, Sydney I/II/III 2003, Adelaide 2003, Arnhem 2006, Antwerp 2006, Berlin 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Nijmegen 2007, Werchter 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Nijmegen 2010, Amsterdam I/II 2012, Amsterdam I/II 2014, Amsterdam I/II 2018, Pinkpop 2018, Werchter 2018, Pinkpop 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022.
    EV: Amsterdam II 2012, Amsterdam I/III 2017, Amsterdam I 2019
    Brad: Zoetermeer & Utrecht 2013
    Soundgarden: Pinkpop 2012, Amsterdam 2013, Utrecht 2014
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888

mcgruff10 said:

If we're splitting hairs, "Of the Earth" isn't from the Lightning Bolt sessions, neither were the two not to be named songs and "Olè" was (I think) from Backspacer sessions.

I didn't really get the comments of those songs being on there either. they wouldn't fit.

They should release an Of The Earth EP, with every studio attempt they've made to record it. Maybe it would be a full length. I wonder how many times they've tried it?
    why wouldn't they fit? those two songs are way better than 3 or 4 songs off of lighting bolt. who cares when they were recorded. (hello betterman lol)
    it's not when they were recorded. they are completely different stylistically than anything off LB. flow matters on a record.
    So them how do you explain sleeping by myself? Lol
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    My Fathers Son sounds so strained.

Would have worked better in 1994, with Eddies vocals from that era.

(Sirens is a great song)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,020
    edited October 2016
    Allways forget that Future Days exist. Just Breathe, The End and Future Days should have been released on its own EP. "Pearl Jam: The cheese sessions".

Sleeping by myself is a great song, on Eddies solo record. Adding those weird drums on it and stuff, naw, don't understand why it was included.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888

My Fathers Son sounds so strained.

Would have worked better in 1994, with Eddies vocals from that era.

(Sirens is a great song)

yeah my father's son is awful.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

So them how do you explain sleeping by myself? Lol
    I can't, because I fucking hate that song.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543

PJ_Soul said:

It is stunning.
    Sirens is great.

What do you mean they're like most of Riot Act? They don't sound anything like any part of Riot Act in any way.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    edited October 2016
    Comparing the extremely mediocre/poor LB to Riot Act.....mind blown.
    Post edited by Dr. Delight on
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783

Allways forget that Future Days exist. Just Breathe, The End and Future Days should have been released on its own EP. "Pearl Jam: The cheese sessions".

:giggle:
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options

Sleeping by myself is a great song, on Eddies solo record. Adding those weird drums on it and stuff, naw, don't understand why it was included.

:rofl:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    I have no idea what Cold Confessions or Let It Ride are. There's the state of my fan hood as we enter the 2nd 25 years :lol:

That guy that doesn't like Yellow Moon has poor taste :wink:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,461
    I completely agree with the OP as far as the new tracking and have already done similar with my own copy.
    LTRP, SBM and FD are filler but the other 9 songs are great!
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,493
    Reordering the tracks does not make this album any better.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,287
    Future Days joined Evacuation and Come Back as my personal trilogy of PJ songs that I just can't stand.

Get rid of FD and the rest of LB is fine as it is for me.

And Getaway is their best opener since Brain of J by the way...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:

Future Days joined Evacuation and Come Back as my personal trilogy of PJ songs that I just can't stand.

Gonna See My Friend works pretty good too :)

But Can't Keep is their best opener ever.
  • Options
    Brain of J and Go are my two fave openers.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    Every album opener is pretty good, but nothing can ever top Once.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543

goldrush said:

Gonna See My Friend works pretty good too :)

But Can't Keep is their best opener ever.
    I agree that Can't Keep is their best opener.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    /\ you guys mean "worst" not "best", right. Can't Keep...suuuuuucks. Lol

Brain of J and Breakerfall for the win.
  • Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    Joostone said:

Let's 'retrack' Lightning Bolt. It's my least favorite album, and I know I'm not alone ;)...Or just save those tracks for Lost Dogs II. I don't care.

I needed to get this off my chest. I was very disappointed with Lightning Bolt. The only track I like from it is Let The Records Play (which I know for some people is maybe their least favorite?)

I didn't really like Mind Your Manners (I tried) - and Sirens never hooked me like Black or Light Years did. For me many bands have their "peak" years (Metallica's first 5 albums, Led Zeppelin's first 6 albums, etc.) I noticed Binaural is when I started to skip tracks. I never skipped a track from Ten through Yield (maybe Stupid Mop or Bugs). Riot Act was my first disappointment. Avocado was an improvement and I actually like about half of Backspacer.

Lightning Bolt was not the record I needed in 2013. I'm not saying it's bad, but to me it might as well be "easy listening" compared to the 1991-1998 "peak" era. I enjoy Lost Dogs much more than Lightning Bolt. Thanks for letting me rant.

Peace.
  • Options
    GstewartGstewart Delta BC Posts: 28
    Denver 2014 "Of the Earth"..incredible
  • Options
    ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    edited October 2017
    1 future days
    2 getaway
    3 sleeping by myself
    4 of the earth
    5 sirens
    6 Pendulum
    7 ltrp
    8 mind your manners
    9 lightning bolt
    10 getaway II
    11 getaway 3
    12 future days II
    13 yellow moon
    14 swallowed whole
    15 father's son
    Love it as is
    Post edited by Shyner on
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    I try and try but just can not get into Sirens ,live with a big crowd participation I don't mind so much but studio ,not for me at all
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    1. Infallible
    2. Sirens
    3. Mind Your Manners
    4. Pendulum 
    5. Father’s Son
    6. Future Days

the rest are hidden tracks
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,963
    edited October 2017
    tbergs said:
    It is stunning. I force myself to listen to LTRP and SBM if it ever comes up during the shuffle. Those songs are like most of Riot Act minus Green Disease. Pearl Jam has been around too long to experiment w/ their fans. Sirens is great.
    Holy shit I started at the beginning of this thtead and got no further than this post.....riot act?????what hell are you hearing. That is a kick ass album. In my very humble opinion its in my top 3. Possibly 1st at the moment. Obviously top 3 changes due to mood and circumstances. But hell im gonna listen right now at 4.25 am .
    And on LB. My daughter who is 13 is just really getting into pj. Wearing the t shirts and listening to my pj playlists on Spotify so I listened to LB with her in the car. God i hate SBM. Future days . Lighting bolt .LTRP and im meh on yellow moon and sirens so that only leaves a few good songs for me. I love pendulum so much o have the lyrics tattooed down my side thats what i so like. But riot act?!?!? That is poetry
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -