Options

Let's 'retrack' Lightning Bolt!

13»

Comments

• Options
    Allways forget that Future Days exist. Just Breathe, The End and Future Days should have been released on its own EP. "Pearl Jam: The cheese sessions". Sleeping by myself is a great song, on Eddies solo record. Adding those weird drums on it and stuff, naw, don't understand why it was included.
    +1. 

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    This guy nailed it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited October 2017
    Nope. Just Breathe is beautiful IMO.  I don’t buy bootlegs and I don’t go to shows so I don’t have to deal with encores being too soft or whatever. Lyrics are stunning. 

The End is a dark acoustic song. Depressing but well written. 

i like Future Days better than most of their generic “garage rockers”   Not a bad tune. Love song.  

Those three tunes reflect where Ed is at. Sirens too.  Fears of death. Love for Family.  Wife and kids Etc. i like those songs. 

Sleeping By Myself i can’t defend tho. :lol:
  • Options
    Stickman24Stickman24 Posts: 210
    edited October 2017
    Gstewart said:
    Denver 2014 "Of the Earth"..incredible
    This. 

But id like a studio verision too.  

Cant keep getaway and Go are my favorite openers.  
    Post edited by Stickman24 on
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547

I agree with Pitchfork's review of Lightning Bolt.  PJ needs to shake things up (just don't make a dance record like everyone else is doing).

• Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126

I like the album as a whole, with the massive exception of SBM. It is an absolute mystery to me that someone thought the band re-doing this song would be a good idea.

There are only 2 "normal" PJ songs that I can't stand, SMB and Speed Of Sound (liked the demo version).

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    edited December 2017
    Spent some more time with the album. Still not sure if I like it any better, but the song order is not the problem for me. 
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 913
    edited December 2017
    I think I have said this before but I would lose Sirens and future days. Future days is my least favourite thing ever recorded by the band (and I include evil little goat and sweet lew in that consideration) . I'd move swallowed whole to Sirens' spot on the album and probably start with pendulum, getaway can start side 2. I'd also move sbm and make it a hidden track a minute or so after yellow moon, I think it would benefit from that as it would be a quirky surprise rather than a serious part of the album. A bit like horse from live's throwing copper. Apart from that I think the songs are for the most part solid and more fun live than on the lp.
  • Options
    Sirens is not a bad song but in a weird way it’s “too commercial”, if PJ ever did anything that could be labeled as such. Yellow Moon is probably my favorite track and I enjoy the song Lightning Bolt more live than on the record. Sadly, Backspacer and Lightning Bolt are still the albums I listen to the least from the PJ catalog.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    edited December 2017
    Revisiting this thread and the album, I think the one thing that really could use some shaking up is how rock-like and up tempo the first half is, followed by second half being more mellow.
    Thinking in terms of playing a vinyl record, I kinda like the idea of letting Pendlum open the album and Getaway opening side B. That one move would mix it up a good bit, I think. Maybe have SBM and Future Days close out side A. Oh yeah, and still get fucking rid of Sirens.

Pendulum
    Mind Your Manners
    My Father’s Son
    Lightning Bolt
    Sleeping By Myself 
    Future Days
    (Side A length 21:08)

Getaway
    Infallible
    Swallowed Whole
    Let The Records Play
    Yellow Moon
    (Side B length 20:18)

Time to make a playlist and see if it works. It could flow well as both a 2-sided record and a continuous CD. I think future Days in that spot could give it more of a Thumbing My Way vibe and not seem as weak a song compared to the closing spot on the album. Yellow Moon seems like it could be a closer. A mellow tune but still strong. 

• Options
    Let the Records Play is one of my favorite songs. I know some people hate it but honestly I think it’s one of the best things Stone ever wrote.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,953
    edited December 2017
    Let the Records Play is one of my favorite songs. I know some people hate it but honestly I think it’s one of the best things Stone ever wrote.
    Yeah I like it, maybe it’s the lyrics that put people off, not sure!? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Yeah I like it, maybe it’s the lyrics that put people off, not sure!? 
    I’ve always thought the lyrics were meant to be slightly tongue-in-cheek. Reminds me of a song that would’ve sat nicely at home on the flip side of Vs. or Vitalogy. In the style of Rats or Satan’s Bed. Can’t understand why fans hate on Records Play so much? Then again I also love Ole and Big Wave.
  • Options
    wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 589
    edited December 2017
    Joostone said:
    Let's 'retrack' Lightning Bolt. It's my least favorite album, and I know I'm not alone ;) So, what would you do with it? You can delete songs from the tracklist or add some outtakes like: 'Olé' or 'Off the Earth'. 1. Pendulum 2. Infallible 3. My Father's Son 4. Mind Your Manners 5. Getaway 6. Lightning Bolt 7. Sirens 8. Swallowed Whole 9. Off the Earth 10. Yellow Moon Wow. I think this record is soo much better now :) Record store single 7'' release: A- Sleeping by Myself B- Future Days and another one: A- Let the records play B- Olé Or just save those tracks for Lost Dogs II. I don't care.
    I agree with you... almost 100%   :)  While I would do things slightly different, our main conclusion is the same -  Less would have been more with this album!  "Sleeping By Myself" and "Let the Records Play" have to be left off that fucking album.  I actually really like the sound of Brendan O'Brien's production on Backspacer and Lightning Bolt.  I think they sound clean, polished. However, sounds like he really pushed the band to include "Sleeping By Myself", so you have to question the decision-making.  And "boo" to PJ for allowing it to happen.  And yes, make "Let the Records Play" a b-side... let it sit beside "Dirty Frank", "Leatherman" and the like.

In short, I think the album is leaps and bounds better if you just subtract those two songs and subtract the O'Brien piano intro/outro on "Future Days"... that would've made a 10-song, 40-minute album which I'm really cool with.  (I like an album confined by the old standard 1 LP).  I agree with you, would be nice to have a studio version of "Of the Earth", but then that gets this album back to 47 minutes and probably 2LPs... I hate vinyl with 2 or 3 tracks on each side  :s   I'm shocked, quite frankly, that I'm not brought in for these final decisions.

Side 1:
    Getaway
    Mind Your Manners
    My Father's Son
    Sirens
    Lightning Bolt

Side 2:
    Pendulum
    Infallible
    Swallowed Whole 
    Yellow Man
    Future Days (minus the damn piano intro/outro)

Post edited by wnh1977 on
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,983
    I like FD, but I agree its way better w/o the piano.

MYM,MFS and LTRP are the only songs I can't get into. MYM rocks musically, but the chorus is awful.

• Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,463
    wnh1977 said:
    Joostone said:
    Let's 'retrack' Lightning Bolt. It's my least favorite album, and I know I'm not alone ;) So, what would you do with it? You can delete songs from the tracklist or add some outtakes like: 'Olé' or 'Off the Earth'. 1. Pendulum 2. Infallible 3. My Father's Son 4. Mind Your Manners 5. Getaway 6. Lightning Bolt 7. Sirens 8. Swallowed Whole 9. Off the Earth 10. Yellow Moon Wow. I think this record is soo much better now :) Record store single 7'' release: A- Sleeping by Myself B- Future Days and another one: A- Let the records play B- Olé Or just save those tracks for Lost Dogs II. I don't care.
    I agree with you... almost 100%   :)  While I would do things slightly different, our main conclusion is the same -  Less would have been more with this album!  "Sleeping By Myself" and "Let the Records Play" have to be left off that fucking album.  I actually really like the sound of Brendan O'Brien's production on Backspacer and Lightning Bolt.  I think they sound clean, polished. However, sounds like he really pushed the band to include "Sleeping By Myself", so you have to question the decision-making.  And "boo" to PJ for allowing it to happen.  And yes, make "Let the Records Play" a b-side... let it sit beside "Dirty Frank", "Leatherman" and the like.

In short, I think the album is leaps and bounds better if you just subtract those two songs and subtract the O'Brien piano intro/outro on "Future Days"... that would've made a 10-song, 40-minute album which I'm really cool with.  (I like an album confined by the old standard 1 LP).  I agree with you, would be nice to have a studio version of "Of the Earth", but then that gets this album back to 47 minutes and probably 2LPs... I hate vinyl with 2 or 3 tracks on each side  :s   I'm shocked, quite frankly, that I'm not brought in for these final decisions.

Side 1:
    Getaway
    Mind Your Manners
    My Father's Son
    Sirens
    Lightning Bolt

Side 2:
    Pendulum
    Infallible
    Swallowed Whole 
    Yellow Man
    Future Days (minus the damn piano intro/outro)

This! 
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,953
    edited December 2017
    The odds are that there will be a couple of gems..ala Sad and Fatal on Binaural that didn’t make the cut that in a few years we’ll be thinking ‘how could they not have made it’, yet SBM did!? We’ll probably hear them buried in Lost Dogs Two. 
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    The odds are that there will be a couple of gems..ala Sad and Fatal on Binaural that didn’t make the cut that in a few years we’ll be thinking ‘how could they not have made it’, yet SBM did!? We’ll probably hear them buried in Lost Dogs Two. 
    I only hope there is someday a Lost Dogs 2!
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I only hope there is someday a Lost Dogs 2!
    Exactly, I’d love to hear it too! Unfortunately, seems as many bands age they don’t write “extra” tunes. Usually they’re stretching to simply fill an albums worth of songs. Maybe there are b-sides from Avacado, Backspacer and Lightning Bolt but sadly I doubt it. But here’s to hoping those songs do exist!
    Post edited by thispureamericanriot on
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191

I would replace "Sirens" with a cover of "Fly to the Angels" by Slaughter.

and add a distorted Uke overdub to Sleeping By Myself.  then this album would fucking rock!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

and add a distorted Uke overdub to Sleeping By Myself.  then this album would fucking rock!!!

=) LOL. Would love to hear PJ cover Power of Love by Huey Lewis someday!
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    lolobugg said:

Alright, guilty pleasure confession, I loved Fly to the Angels. Had it recorded from the radio on to a mix tape.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    lolobugg said:

=) LOL. Would love to hear PJ cover Power of Love by Huey Lewis someday!
    tbergs said:
    lolobugg said:

Alright, guilty pleasure confession, I loved Fly to the Angels. Had it recorded from the radio on to a mix tape.

Now we are talking!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore