Options

Hipsters and Young Folk

Comments

• Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,888
    Wear what you wanna wear, simple as that. Who gives a shit what other people think. 
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,478
    Is the puffy vest a hipster fashion? image
    no.
    Does that mean you have one?

maybe...
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Attaway77 said:
    Wear what you wanna wear, simple as that. Who gives a shit what other people think. 

does that include crocs?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Wobbie said:
    Attaway77 said:

does that include crocs?
    :how_interesting:

I'm at the point (at least in public) of finding a medium between comfiness and feeling OK / presentable with what I'm wearing in various settings...so perhaps a bit of a shit given.

I am also in a sea of manbuns and short-skinny jeans within my neighborhood.

AND, I am also aware I am neither a hipster nor young person =)

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    Predictions as to what will be the next "big thing" after hipsters?  Is it already happening?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:
    Predictions as to what will be the next "big thing" after hipsters?  Is it already happening?
    It has to be, if you are a hipster now, you missed the boat.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Gen Z doesnt care about old people pretending they are millennial (aka hipsters)
    Pretty sure Gen Z cares about nothing they cannot see on their phones nor that they can order ahead and pick up pre-paid (on parents' credit card of course) without any line or human interaction.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I predict the next "Big Thing" will be the No Big Thing, a new kind of No Wave era where taking care of one's basic needs and being close to those around them will be far more of concern than some ephemeral fad.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Gen Z doesnt care about old people pretending they are millennial (aka hipsters)
    Pretty sure Gen Z cares about nothing they cannot see on their phones nor that they can order ahead and pick up pre-paid (on parents' credit card of course) without any line or human interaction.
    Eh, that's not really a fair assessment.
    Talk like this sound exactly like Andy Rooney talking about the grunge generation lol
  • Options
    I'm curious about that too, FMITB.  Do you really know boomers who try to act like millenials?  I don't know anyone like that.  How does that work, what does it look like? 

And what is "old"?  My Pop is old. He's 96.  I honestly can't remember him trying to act like a millenial.  Just thinking about it makes me laugh!

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    rgambs said:
    Eh, that's not really a fair assessment.
    Talk like this sound exactly like Andy Rooney talking about the grunge generation lol
    A different conversation for a different time but my company deal with retailers and all of their marketing efforts toward Gen Z supports my theory.  (And it is just a theory...neither marketing efforts nor theories are facts, I fully acknowledge.  Brian asked so I answered my thoughts.)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    brianlux said:
    I'm curious about that too, FMITB.  Do you really know boomers who try to act like millenials?  I don't know anyone like that.  How does that work, what does it look like? 

And what is "old"?  My Pop is old. He's 96.  I honestly can't remember him trying to act like a millenial.  Just thinking about it makes me laugh!
    :lol:
    This was shared from a Gen Z perspective so "old" is a 30-40ish year old guy wearing "joggers" (sweatpants) around, pretending he is 20-30ish.

I do not know any boomers who try to act millennial.  I wish my pop were still alive so that I could put him in a douchey pair of $87 sweatpants joggers and a fucking floppy wool hat.  (Oh, and tell him he needs to go 2 years without trimming his beard so that he looks similar to what he would normally consider a homeless person he needs to give his change to.)
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    I don't care what anyone wears or listens to or buys... just as long as you don't stink! My god, people are stinky this year. I am pretty sure it's the stinkiest year so far in my lifetime.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianlux said:

This was shared from a Gen Z perspective so "old" is a 30-40ish year old guy wearing "joggers" (sweatpants) around, pretending he is 20-30ish.

I do not know any boomers who try to act millennial.  I wish my pop were still alive so that I could put him in a douchey pair of $87 sweatpants joggers and a fucking floppy wool hat.  (Oh, and tell him he needs to go 2 years without trimming his beard so that he looks similar to what he would normally consider a homeless person he needs to give his change to.)
    OMG, of 30 to 40 is old, I'm... I'm...  :bawling:

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I believe they call it "classic" 
    :bee:
  • Options
    RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    hedonist said:
    Wobbie said:
    Attaway77 said:

does that include crocs?

I'm at the point (at least in public) of finding a medium between comfiness and feeling OK / presentable with what I'm wearing in various settings...so perhaps a bit of a shit given.

I don't give a damn about what people think about what I'm wearing. Maybe it's because I'm 40, or because I sell sex toys for a living. I truly don't care. The only time I care is when I'm respectful towards others like in church, kids' school, or such. Otherwise, fuck 'em! If they can't look past my outfit or anything else to get to know me...their opinion will not affect me. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    hedonist said:
    Wobbie said:
    Attaway77 said:

does that include crocs?

I don't give a damn about what people think about what I'm wearing. Maybe it's because I'm 40, or because I sell sex toys for a living. I truly don't care. The only time I care is when I'm respectful towards others like in church, kids' school, or such. Otherwise, fuck 'em! If they can't look past my outfit or anything else to get to know me...their opinion will not affect me. 

Sex toys! Right.  Thanks for reminding me....
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

To the Gen Z folks, buddy, everyone over 35 is old. Not sure where the 'ancient' line is drawn, I will have to ask some.  Maybe 80+.  ;)
  • Options
    tweedyfanjentweedyfanjen Posts: 881
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

To the Gen Z folks, buddy, everyone over 35 is old. Not sure where the 'ancient' line is drawn, I will have to ask some.  Maybe 80+.  ;)
    Not all of them. All of my employees are 25 and under and we all get along really well and they like to hang out with me. My sister is 25 as well and she thinks I'm fun to be around. Maybe I act under 35? :lol:
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't care what anyone wears or listens to or buys... just as long as you don't stink! My god, people are stinky this year. I am pretty sure it's the stinkiest year so far in my lifetime.
    This, so hard. Was trapped on a plane the row behind some BO oozing chick recently. I mean really, have a little respect for people around you. Especially if they have to be trapped in a metal tube for a couple of hours with you.
    FYI folks who don't wear deodorant: yes you smell, no its not pleasant and yes if offends everyone around you.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Not all of them. All of my employees are 25 and under and we all get along really well and they like to hang out with me. My sister is 25 as well and she thinks I'm fun to be around. Maybe I act under 35? :lol:
    1.  You are probably very cool.  (at least you have great taste in music!)
    2.  You are probably a fun guy.
    3.  Your sister is going to like being around her older cool/fun brother.
    4.  They all think you are old.  This doesn't mean they dont like you and enjoy hanging around you.  But...if they were asked by a 20 year old about you they might say something like "He is super cool and lots of fun, for an old guy."

Just messing with you.
    I think it is cool that you hang with youngsters.  They are our future and they have a great amount of energy.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    brianlux said:
    New offering from the new generation...

Jeans with "dirt" built in to them...
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/nation-now/2017/04/26/nordstrom-selling-425-jeans-covered-fake-mud-mike-rowe-calls-them-out/100921914/

Also the "Romper"...
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/17/health/male-romper-romphim-trend-trnd/

Enjoy.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I like Mike Rowe's comment on the dirt jeans.
  • Options
    tweedyfanjentweedyfanjen Posts: 881
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

4.  They all think you are old.  This doesn't mean they dont like you and enjoy hanging around you.  But...if they were asked by a 20 year old about you they might say something like "He is super cool and lots of fun, for an old guy."

Just messing with you.
    I think it is cool that you hang with youngsters.  They are our future and they have a great amount of energy.
    I'd like to think all of the above is true except I'm not a guy. :lol:
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Wobbie said:
    Attaway77 said:

does that include crocs?

the empty masks are on backorder.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Wobbie said:
    hedonist said:
    Wobbie said:
    Attaway77 said:

does that include crocs?

You would know.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Wobbie said:
    hedonist said:
    Wobbie said:
    Attaway77 said:

does that include crocs?

Have you confirmed this with the mask-maker?

:angry:

:bee:
  • Options
    brianlux said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/nation-now/2017/04/26/nordstrom-selling-425-jeans-covered-fake-mud-mike-rowe-calls-them-out/100921914/

Also the "Romper"...

Enjoy.
    The dirt jeans are probably made for those guys who splash mud on their jacked up trucks, right?  But is anyone really clueless enough to spend hundreds of dollars on that kind of nonsense?

But the rompers- eeyiiee!  Reminds me of something James Howard Kunstler once wrote about massively over-sized clothes that some guys were (and a few still are) wearing.  He said it was a graphic illustration of men today having difficulty growing up, that it's a subconscious move to remain a child.  So what's next, young men in diapers? 

Each to his own I guess.  I don't judge what people wear individually, but I think it's worth looking at trends from a social perspective.  Where are were going, forwards or back?

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Just messing with you.
    I'd like to think all of the above is true except I'm not a guy. :lol:
    :lol:  Well, it all holds then...just change from guy to gal and brother to sister.  Good on you.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Also the "Romper"...

Enjoy.
    The dirt jeans are probably made for those guys who splash mud on their jacked up trucks, right?  But is anyone really clueless enough to spend hundreds of dollars on that kind of nonsense?

But the rompers- eeyiiee!  Reminds me of something James Howard Kunstler once wrote about massively over-sized clothes that some guys were (and a few still are) wearing.  He said it was a graphic illustration of men today having difficulty growing up, that it's a subconscious move to remain a child.  So what's next, young men in diapers? 

Each to his own I guess.  I don't judge what people wear individually, but I think it's worth looking at trends from a social perspective.  Where are were going, forwards or back?
    I do plan on rocking a Romper this summer, heheh!