Options

police kill unarmed black man

Comments

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    jeffbr said:

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/21/at-least-12-charlotte-cops-injured-in-protests-following-officer-involved-death-black-man.html

I've already read some stuff that the victim was reaching into his car after repeated orders to get on the ground or something like that
    but anyway there's anot riot (free shopping day and right to violence)

just thought this could use it's own thread rather than derail another one.

Godfather.

Nailed it GF..."free shopping day and right to violence". You see the video of those savages dancing and destroying the squad car? They love and need this shit....they must not have gotten the memo it was a black officer and the asshole had a gun...scratch that, none of that matters anymore.
    "savages"????
    What part of the above described behavior by those people not Savage like? You see the video?
    Uncivilized, barbarian, violent, primitive. Unfortunately, the PC police have taken savage and turned it into a racist word, much like thug. I'm old enough that I grew up using thug and savage without regard to color or race. They describe(d) behavior. If someone is opposed to the use of those words, then it is perhaps they who have an issue with race. i don't think race when I see those words (until hyper-sensitive people point out that these are their trigger words and they need to run to a safe space). PC police don't get to redefine words. I will continue to use thug and savage where appropriate. And yes, white people can and have historically been savages. Same with natives, blacks, Asians, Hispanics, etc... Again, the word describes behavior.
    I disagree. Racist people have adopted the word 'Savages' because they can no longer get away with the word 'nigger'.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    jeffbr said:

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/21/at-least-12-charlotte-cops-injured-in-protests-following-officer-involved-death-black-man.html

I've already read some stuff that the victim was reaching into his car after repeated orders to get on the ground or something like that

Godfather.

Nailed it GF..."free shopping day and right to violence". You see the video of those savages dancing and destroying the squad car? They love and need this shit....they must not have gotten the memo it was a black officer and the asshole had a gun...scratch that, none of that matters anymore.
    "savages"????
    What part of the above described behavior by those people not Savage like? You see the video?
    Uncivilized, barbarian, violent, primitive. Unfortunately, the PC police have taken savage and turned it into a racist word, much like thug. I'm old enough that I grew up using thug and savage without regard to color or race. They describe(d) behavior. If someone is opposed to the use of those words, then it is perhaps they who have an issue with race. i don't think race when I see those words (until hyper-sensitive people point out that these are their trigger words and they need to run to a safe space). PC police don't get to redefine words. I will continue to use thug and savage where appropriate. And yes, white people can and have historically been savages. Same with natives, blacks, Asians, Hispanics, etc... Again, the word describes behavior.
    you know the french word for aboriginals? "les sauvages". so yeah, I actually don't have an issue with thug. But I have do have an issue with savage. it does describe behaviour, but more often than not it describes the behaviour of a certain group of people. non-whites.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    edited September 2016
    eddiec said:

jeffbr said:

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Godfather.

"savages"????
    I disagree. Racist people have adopted the word 'Savages' because they can no longer get away with the word 'nigger'.

You know now that I think about it there COULD be some truth to to that. At one time long ago the American Indians were described in that way as a way of saying they were the lowest of the low of society back then. Even though they were peaceful Indians many were just fighting to protect and keep their land.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/22/us/keith-scott-charlotte-police-shooting.html?_r=0

Well, it now appears there was no book and that there was a gun involved in this shooting. If so and it appears so not much should come any further after an investigation has been concluded to the officers involved. It's very unfortunate the city has erupted like it has, that should not have happened however over the years with built up resistance to the Charlotte police force this violence seemed likely.

Peace

Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

jeffbr said:

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Godfather.

"savages"????
    you know the french word for aboriginals? "les sauvages". so yeah, I actually don't have an issue with thug. But I have do have an issue with savage. it does describe behaviour, but more often than not it describes the behaviour of a certain group of people. non-whites.
    Interesting perspective, and I can understand how that would shape your view of the word. I didn't know that about the French word, and have no frame of reference for that usage. I know that in Canada with labeling laws you're bombarded with French language, so I can see how this would strike a nerve. It sounds like the French and/or Quebecois have bastardized the word, or perhaps we (English speakers) have. But really, that usage doesn't show up in English dictionaries (Oxford, Merriam-Webster, Cambridge English, etc...). Oxford does show the origin:
    Middle English: from Old French sauvage wild, from Latin silvaticus of the woods, from silva a wood.

I do promise to never use the word savage while visiting Canada!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    jeffbr said:

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Godfather.

"savages"????
    Bingo. Now here is someone who gets it.
  • Options
    muskydan said:

jeffbr said:

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Godfather.

"savages"????
    Bingo. Now here is someone who gets it.
    you could use the same argument for the N word. many racists will argue the N word is only used to describe the "bad" black people, not the good ones.

there is something to be said about being too PC. I get that. But on the other end, there is also something to be said about being a decent human and changing with the times and being sensitive to others. it's not all about you.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Yeah can't wait for Trump to be president he will know what to do with the savages I'm sure no ?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

Yeah can't wait for Trump to be president he will know what to do with the savages I'm sure no ?

I agree with your first part however Nobody know's how to handle the Savages like the ones in Carolina...that Fraud and complete failure that has been in there the last 8 years sure as shit doesn't. Boy did we ever get some CHANGE Alright....
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited September 2016
    People are just too sensitive nowadays... Where's Dave Chappelle when you need him
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629
    PP193448 said:

People are just too sensitive nowadays... Where's Dave Chappelle when you need him

What's interesting is what group people think are too sensitive.
  • Options
    muskydan said:

I agree with your first part however Nobody know's how to handle the Savages like the ones in Carolina...that Fraud and complete failure that has been in there the last 8 years sure as shit doesn't. Boy did we ever get some CHANGE Alright....
    Oh boy yeah Obama sucks he should be blamed no ? For everything , dammit I left my reading glasses at home freaking Obama has to be blamed for it lol
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    I'm holding back..........oh geeeeze the pain ! HAHAHHAHHAHAHHA !!!!!!
    who's going to call the WHAAAA'MBULANCE !!!

Godfather.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281

PP193448 said:

There are some in every group...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    Words are words and in America you have the right to use them freely even if other find them offensive. You can use any adjective you want to describe a group or persons behavior. Get over it. Savage can apply to an animal as well. No need to differentiate the color of fur to determine if it's offensive or racist.
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

Words are words and in America you have the right to use them freely even if other find them offensive. You can use any adjective you want to describe a group or persons behavior. Get over it. Savage can apply to an animal as well. No need to differentiate the color of fur to determine if it's offensive or racist.

Yes, words are words. And as you pointed out, savage also applies to animals, and in this case (and historically) racial minorities. If you say something, expect hearing something in response.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    jeffbr said:

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Godfather.

"savages"????
    It's the context. Poster has said racist things in this forum before.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    So this guy had a gun... didn't put it down when instructed... maybe has a record for carrying a firearm... Was shot by a black officer... and the police chief is black

Am I missing something?
  • Options
    dignin said:

jeffbr said:

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Godfather.

"savages"????
    You must have meant REALIST things....
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    I've never given thought to the word "thug" before. If you'd ask me I would say it means a gangster, and not related to race. I would have used that word to describe anyone who looks like they could belong to a gang. But who do you picture when you think of a gang member? Based on about the first 5 google searches I did they all place about 75-80% of gang members as Hispanic or black. I could see how some have perceived the word Thug evolve into targeting certain ethnic groups, but I would still believe people who use it are still referring to a gangster and not the group as a whole.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    muskydan said:

dignin said:

jeffbr said:

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Godfather.

"savages"????
    If Trump gets elected that may be what it is called.
  • Options
    muskydan said:

dignin said:

jeffbr said:

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Godfather.

"savages"????
    Racists often think they're right and usually need people like you to collude with them.
  • Options

PP193448 said:

Yes, words are words. And as you pointed out, savage also applies to animals, and in this case (and historically) racial minorities. If you say something, expect hearing something in response.
    It comes down to intent. If you can prove to me that the word was intentionally used as a racist reference then you have something. If not then the word is just an adjective(fierce, violent, uncontrolled), noun(primaries and uncivilized), or verb(attack or maul). The word can describe a group or people or a person regaurdless of their skin color. Appearently in your world if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then calling it a duck is offensive and racist.
  • Options

muskydan said:

dignin said:

jeffbr said:

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Godfather.

"savages"????
    Racists often think they're right and usually need people like you to collude with them.
    Good God Liberalism truely is a Disease, yet curable....
  • Options
    muskydan said:

muskydan said:

dignin said:

jeffbr said:

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Godfather.

"savages"????
    Good God Liberalism truely is a Disease, yet curable....
    You have prejudices about liberals, too? There's a surprise.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    my2hands said:

So this guy had a gun... didn't put it down when instructed... maybe has a record for carrying a firearm... Was shot by a black officer... and the police chief is black

Am I missing something?

facts don't matter :lol:

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    People are saying that facts don't matter in a thread that was started about 2 separate situations combined into one. Can't make this stuff up.

The guy "reaching" into the car was Tulsa

The riots referenced are Charlotte
  • Options

PP193448 said:

It comes down to intent. If you can prove to me that the word was intentionally used as a racist reference then you have something. If not then the word is just an adjective(fierce, violent, uncontrolled), noun(primaries and uncivilized), or verb(attack or maul). The word can describe a group or people or a person regaurdless of their skin color. Appearently in your world if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then calling it a duck is offensive and racist.
    Bravo....Now that was brilliant ...quack quack
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    my2hands said:

Am I missing something?

where's your sensitivity man !...be carful or the train crew will call you the "R" word. HAHAHHAHAHHA

Godfather.

• Options

PP193448 said:

historical context also matters. if the duck was named a duck by a bunch of oppressive geese 200 years ago because of the colour of its feathers and the shortness of its neck, then yeah, calling it a duck is offensive and racist.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

my2hands said:

Am I missing something?

where's your sensitivity man !...be carful or the train crew will call you the "R" word. HAHAHHAHAHHA

Godfather.

why would anyone call my2hands a racist for citing facts?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com