Options

GA has gone soft?

Comments

• Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,736
    edited May 2016
    Getting close to the stage shouldn't be the only reason you do GA. It takes a lot of work to get there and there's an expectation that you'll rock HARD. The band knows it and the rest of the venue knows it - if you're just there for a better selfie you're doing it wrong.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    DeLukin said:

Getting close to the stage shouldn't be the only reason you do GA. It takes a lot of work to get there and there's an expectation that you'll rock HARD. The band knows it and the rest of the venue knows it - if you're just there for a better selfie you're doing it wrong.

bravo!!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dmaradona10dmaradona10 Posts: 897
    edited May 2016
    Dude, I'm pushing 40 this year. Going to the gym feels like I've been tazed multiple times by the cops. We don't need a "pit" in GA like it's 1993.
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    Edge34Edge34 Ottawa Posts: 233
    I experienced the same thing in Ottawa. Brutal. I'm sorry to say if you don't like being bumped or pushed, move the hell back. I'm no youngster and I know that when I've got a general ticket that bumping and pushing is part of it. I'm not standing back and not bumping you so that you can take a video. I call bullshit on that.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    my2hands said:

every problem I have seen in the pit at PJ shows since they started it in 2013 are assholes trying to barge their way forward.... I have seen Ed actually stop the show entirely to address some prick doing this and kicking them out (C-Ville) and again at Hampton this year they had to kick out an asshole trying to barge up to the front... usually drunk pricks I assume... otherwise known as #evenbros

I don't care how hard people rock out, but you guys make it sound like if there is an inch of daylight it is your right to take it... is there really a difference if you are 14 feet away from the stage or 6 feet? seriously?

Exactly my point....I expect contact. But especially once we are 30 minutes into the show I don't expect people that were previously beside me to step right in front of me when I am just giving the person in front of me about 12 inches to move.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,710

DeLukin said:

bravo!!!!!

Bravo indeed. I swear they took like 50 shots each with their backs to the show

Each to their own and all that but fuck that's lame ... The band must love looking out and seeing the back of your head
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

That said GA is a no brainer. I'd take a 'soft' GA over seats any day at all

:rock_on:
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    I think the PJ GA pit has been really soft for a long time now (in North America). This is disappointing to me, namely because people seem to use age of the fans as an excuse. Ugh. I don't understand why so many people let themselves lose their mojos after the age of 35. Lame.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    3/4
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I can rock out with the best of them... believe me... but why do people think people who are going nuts are enjoying the show more then the person that's not? is that the only way to show you are enjoying yourself?

Charlottesville 2013 I was in a total trance for most of that show, just in awe of the amazingness I was watching unfold... I didn't need to jump around, I didn't need to scream, I didn't need to bump anyone, I didn't need to high-five anybody... I loved every second of that show and probably looked like a statue for most of it because I was so fixed on the music and the stage... that's not always the case for me trust me, but seriously, what is wrong with just watching and enjoying the best band on the planet?

I personally don't care how anyone enjoys the show, as long as you aren't bothering anybody, especially me and my gf... fuck with her and we have a problem Houston
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    I'm almost 40. I don't want assholes bumping I to me all night.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    my2hands said:

I can rock out with the best of them... believe me... but why do people think people who are going nuts are enjoying the show more then the person that's not? is that the only way to show you are enjoying yourself?

Charlottesville 2013 I was in a total trance for most of that show, just in awe of the amazingness I was watching unfold... I didn't need to jump around, I didn't need to scream, I didn't need to bump anyone, I didn't need to high-five anybody... I loved every second of that show and probably looked like a statue for most of it because I was so fixed on the music and the stage... that's not always the case for me trust me, but seriously, what is wrong with just watching and enjoying the best band on the planet?

I personally don't care how anyone enjoys the show, as long as you aren't bothering anybody, especially me and my gf... fuck with her and we have a problem Houston

depends on if i go into the pit jacked up on heroin, booze or weed. :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PH20PH20 Posts: 466
    I agree with the OP 100%.

I'm as polite as they come, but I want to be able to jump up and down in the same spot and put my hands in the air at the very least. The last couple shows I've been to, people mean-mug the shit out of me when I act like I am enjoying a song.

How can you stand there arms folded not moving for the whole show? I don't get it.
    2006 - Marcus Ampitheater, Milwaukee
    2011 - Alpine Valley Ampitheater, East Troy
    2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2014 - Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul
    2014 - Bradley Center, Milwaukee
    2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago 
  • Options
    PH20 said:

I'm as polite as they come, but I want to be able to jump up and down in the same spot and put my hands in the air at the very least. The last couple shows I've been to, people mean-mug the shit out of me when I act like I am enjoying a song.

How can you stand there arms folded not moving for the whole show? I don't get it.

next time someone does that, do like this one cat I saw in Chicago HOB.
    stick your figure up their ass... outside the jeans of course....
    guaranteed to get them moving!!! :lol:

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    lolobugg said:

PH20 said:

Disgusting. Checking another dudes oil just because they give you a nasty look is grounds for getting your ass kicked!
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    PH20PH20 Posts: 466
    lolobugg said:

PH20 said:

LOL!
    2006 - Marcus Ampitheater, Milwaukee
    2011 - Alpine Valley Ampitheater, East Troy
    2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2014 - Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul
    2014 - Bradley Center, Milwaukee
    2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago 
  • Options

lolobugg said:

PH20 said:

Disgusting. Checking another dudes oil just because they give you a nasty look is grounds for getting your ass kicked!
    dude, I swear I saw it happen to an asshole 7 footer that moved in front of this shorter guy at a show and blocked his view. I don't think it was the first time he had done it either.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    my2hands said:

I'm with you. I want to pay attention to the show, drink a few beers and just soak it all in.

I don't like having to dodge the skull of the idiot in front of me that wants to act like his head thrusts are propelling the band in some way.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I'm almost 40. I don't want assholes bumping I to me all night.

Even in my 20s, I didn't want that!

Screw that.

And screw assholes.

(if that's what you're into)
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790

3/4

On a good night.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,202
    if you get hit by someone 12 times and stay in the same spot you are an idiot or you like it. if you keep hitting someone as many times as 12 without realizing it or without caring you are an asshole. it's not that hard folks.
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    Lifted said:

We're talking about a 25 year old classic rock band.

...there's your answer

did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    What the fuck has happened to music lovers? Quit the complaining (both sides of the argument) and accept that a rocking show is going to be elbow to elbow and uncomfortable! Fucking, everyone is offended by everything!!!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Free said:

What the fuck has happened to music lovers? Quit the complaining (both sides of the argument) and accept that a rocking show is going to be elbow to elbow and uncomfortable! Fucking, everyone is offended by everything!!!

Elbow to elbow is one thing; BEING elbowed is quite another. Silly me, I find that offensive.

And it's no one's business how I choose to enjoy a show if I'm not fucking with anyone; singing, standing, silent - who cares? Not too much to expect the same from others, even if they do so differently.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    In the age of mosh pits, there was no crying or complaining... girls stayed away from them and if you got a boot to the head, it was time to get out. If one can't handle GA or complains about it, perhaps it's best to avoid it altogether. We've become pussified.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    Free said:

In the age of mosh pits, there was no crying or complaining... girls stayed away from them and if you got a boot to the head, it was time to get out. If one can't handle GA or complains about it, perhaps it's best to avoid it altogether. We've become pussified.

Yeah that wasn't offensive.

Here's a little something that might surprise you. I'm a girl. I braved some hard core mosh pits in the 90s and loved it. I'm now 42 and still like to jump around and rock out in the pit. I respect others space and their desire to enjoy the show the way they wish. If I got knocked on the head 12 times I would probably just laugh it off and feed off the knocker's energy (unless there's pain involved). And I'm a jersey girl.

To each their own.

"Pussified". Smh
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Free said:

We've become pussified.

not a dick thing to say AT ALL
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    Free said:

I would say dignified.
    Boot to the head? Repeatedly hit?
    WTF
    These are the fans we don't want at any concert.
    Fuck that noise.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783

Free said:

We've become pussified.

not a dick thing to say AT ALL
    Lol
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 826
    I would hope we could have some civility in GA.....remember the 9 friends we lost?