Options

GA has gone soft?

Comments

• Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Free said:

Free said:

Dumb thread - it's not 1994 else Ed would be dropping off the rafters on top of the same 12 year old girl's head that he later ensures gets the tambourine you stole from her.

You can have personal space, jump around if the music moves you to, and sing your balls off without trying to live the good ole days and while preserving your dignity by acting your age.

Given the fitness of most of the PJ fans, most of us wouldn't make through MYM anyway at the '94 pace. I personally don't want you hitting me, sweating on me, or pressing your distended gut against me like some dude was doing in merch line at Miami.

what would you personally do, if this happened though. Would you get all accusatory and entitled to those invading your space like you own it? .., or would you leave and find a better space for yourself. That's the difference between the decades.
    In Jax there was a nice setup in front of Mike with good energy and good space, right as the show started some clown positioned himself in front me with two beers, he was short so I didn't say anything. As the show went on the dude got pretty lit and started staggering back and forth into people while trying to hug me and talk me during every song - I told him a couple times shut the fuck up I'm listening to the song.

After the third time he stepped on my wife's feet from staggering around, I told his girl she better move him or I was going to take him out, she moved him away 5 feet or so.

So does that answer your question?

Except for the threat, yeah, you handled it pretty well.
    So....you're offended?
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    :lol:

perfect
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited May 2016
    OP... Do yourself a favor and see the band over in Europe next time they tour there if you can. Italy, Poland, or England would do. There is no shortage of crushed ribs, elbows, bruises, community, blood, sweat, tears, and passion over there. Even I had to move back at points because it gets pretty rough and you can barely breathe sometimes. I miss having that sense of urgency at shows. You're just not gonna get that from crowds in the U.S. or Canada. That'll be the day when Ed has to plead a U.S. crowd to take three steps back from here on out. The energy is generally a fraction over here from what it is over there. But it doesn't seem to effect the band. They always rock hard everywhere! But you are right on with your assumption.
    Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Push Me Pull Me at Leeds...4 minutes of mayhem....
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855

OP... Do yourself a favor and see the band over in Europe next time they tour there if you can. Italy, Poland, or England would do. There is no shortage of crushed ribs, elbows, bruises, community, blood, sweat, tears, and passion over there. Even I had to move back at points because it gets pretty rough and you can barely breathe sometimes. I miss having that sense of urgency at shows. You're just not gonna get that from crowds in the U.S. or Canada. The energy is generally a fraction over here from what it is over there. But it doesn't seem to effect the band. They always rock hard everywhere! But you are right on with your assumption.

Or try Amsterdam... ( The Dutch are very tall... very tall... and love them some PJ)
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    I was a sweaty mess 1/4 of the way through the first set
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    I hear that the cages at English soccer matches are pretty crazy too.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    If you want your personal space don't be in GA. That's silly.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

in Europe or South America
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited May 2016
    SD48277 said:

Free said:

Free said:

Dumb thread - it's not 1994 else Ed would be dropping off the rafters on top of the same 12 year old girl's head that he later ensures gets the tambourine you stole from her.

You can have personal space, jump around if the music moves you to, and sing your balls off without trying to live the good ole days and while preserving your dignity by acting your age.

Given the fitness of most of the PJ fans, most of us wouldn't make through MYM anyway at the '94 pace. I personally don't want you hitting me, sweating on me, or pressing your distended gut against me like some dude was doing in merch line at Miami.

what would you personally do, if this happened though. Would you get all accusatory and entitled to those invading your space like you own it? .., or would you leave and find a better space for yourself. That's the difference between the decades.
    In Jax there was a nice setup in front of Mike with good energy and good space, right as the show started some clown positioned himself in front me with two beers, he was short so I didn't say anything. As the show went on the dude got pretty lit and started staggering back and forth into people while trying to hug me and talk me during every song - I told him a couple times shut the fuck up I'm listening to the song.

After the third time he stepped on my wife's feet from staggering around, I told his girl she better move him or I was going to take him out, she moved him away 5 feet or so.

So....you're offended?

No, he asked a question and I answered it. Does it SOUND like I'm offended? Because I'm more amused than anything at this point. When I get to GA shows, I'm the last person to get offended. I expect chaos. Let's face it, a boring GA any band does not want.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    Free said:

SD48277 said:

Free said:

Free said:

So....you're offended?

No, he asked a question and I answered it. Does it SOUND like I'm offended? Because I'm more amused than anything at this point. When I get to GA shows, I'm the last person to get offended. I expect chaos. Let's face it, a boring GA any band does not want.
    Explains why Ed makes a point to stop the show and call out people who are being unruly...
    2013: Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG I, MSG II, Fenway I, Fenway II
    2018: Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Tiki said:

I've GA'ed it 3 times, Leeds, Hampton, and Columbia...these are my experiences from the first 2.

Copy and pasted from Leeds UK FV

"Pingfah said: There were two absolute dickheads in the pit who barged their way to the front and proceeded to act with absolutely no regard for anybody else, elbowing people in the face etc, I don't know if anybody noticed, couple of Scottish guys, chunky looking meatheads with awful chav aftershave, they did their best to wreck it for others, but nobody could have wrecked that gig, it was simply superb.

Tiki said: I was right behind these two, I mean directly behind them. One had a Sex Pistols tattoo on his neck. It did get quite rough down there. There was also a very tall, I mean HUGE long haired German dude, (he had his GA wristband and a Rock Werchter wristband too...he got Eddies last tambo...) as soon as Breakerfall started (the fourth song) he made an intentional effort to move the entire center of the crowd forward, and from then on, when the tempo was up, three rows back from Ed was pretty outta control. I'm a grown assed man and if you push me I will resist, but there were ladies trapped in there, including my wife. I'm sure it looked good from up above, but it was dicey.

That being said...I'm agreeing with Ping...no one could have wrecked that gig. I was at Charlottesville and Leeds was just as good.

Seeing Ed slam that mic stand twice from 3 rows back AND channel Pete AND All Along the Watchtower AND Don't Gimme No Lip (Problem?)...oh man."

Copy and pasted from Hampton FV

"The wife and I GA'ed it, showed up at 330pm and ended up 3 people deep on Stoney's side. Met nothing but super cool people. I thought the show was excellent. I dealt with a totally different GA douchebag wearing the black 2016 tour t-shirt who suddenly arrived with a beer drop that I heard and that I felt on the back of my legs. If you encountered him, you'd know. I turned around and I had a new 50 year old buddy (I'll be fifty this year, so I can tell...) who felt he needed to be completely up my ass during the entirety of Wishlist. I immediately told him that he was WAY to close to me, to which he replied that I had no monopoly on space. He also kindly told me that he had no problem "taking me out", and asked me "what happened to southern hospitality", and even though I had on a Red Sox hat he suggested I "go back to Jersey". Jesus. It is pretty difficult to shift gears from "I'm having the best time in the world" to "is this sort of bigger than me asshole going to ruin my shit with my wife standing here". My response to him was a pretty mellow fuck you bro, which then became this overextended exercise in him becoming even more belligerent, pushy and doooshy. He then proceeded to cruise right on in front of me and said "you fucking hate me now, don't you?" I confirmed that, ("Oh I do fucking hate you...") just so he knew, but with a huge smile on my face. I assumed at that point he wasn't going to get physical with me, because if it hadn't happened right away or already, then I figured it wasn't going to. An incongruent smile in a situation like that can pretty disarming...
    Unfortunately for him, his move forward had him set up directly behind the biggest dude in our area (my former spot) AND he timed it right as Sirens started. I cozied up right next to his ear, put my hand on his shoulder...like way too close. "How's the view up there, are you fucking happy now, doooooosh?", all the while I'm maintaining this maniacal smile. I started serenading him as loudly and off key as possible right in his ear. "Heear the siiiiiireeeeeeens?" Everyone in the area was aware of what was happening, mostly because of my loud vocal bitching. Shortly thereafter, the big dude in front of both of us with the headband had just about enough and moved him back behind me like an offensive lineman. Douche made another attempt to stick around but I was like you gotta get the fuck away from me and my wife, dude."

My only issue with Columbia was I was almost too close. During Porch, Ed was right effing above me, and I was worried he was going to drip sweat in my mouth.

so...where's the middle ground?

My daughter an I were about 8 or other people to your right in columbia. I think Ed did sweat on my daughter. It's pretty gross!

will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    These pics are uncomfortable to look at.
    A few months back there was a video posted and it showed some nutjob in the background when EV was walking to his bus saying over and over "Eddie, Eddie, oh my god Eddie."
    The above pics make me think that those are the types of fans who have to be that close
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

A few months back there was a video posted and it showed some nutjob in the background when EV was walking to his bus saying over and over "Eddie, Eddie, oh my god Eddie."
    The above pics make me think that those are the types of fans who have to be that close

I didn't ask eddie to jump on top of me
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited May 2016

There is no shortage of crushed ribs, elbows, bruises, community, blood, sweat, tears, and passion over there. Even I had to move back at points because it gets pretty rough and you can barely breathe sometimes.

I see no need for this at all... getting crushed and not being able to breathe is not cool, especially when considering a lot of people have been killed at concerts in the past because of this shit... including a pearl jam concert

I'll take my side stage seat... at eye level with the band... on Mikes side... perfect view... easy access to the bathroom and refreshments

I love how GA guys think they are so cool nowadays... GA or bust... people waiting in line for 2 days to be 30 feet closer than me... thanks for making it easier to score my reserved seats, I appreciate it! lol

I have no issue with GA, and hope they keep it... I just love how people go apeshit over it like every other seat sucks
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    Crazy how different a venue can be as too how many they let in the pit.
    Philly was jamming packed
    Toronto rear third was wide open. I was doing mccready like circles during songs because why not, they were playing binaural!
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Pearl jam ga in the US has kind of evolved into... get in line, queue up, and select a spot to enjoy the show from. As opposed to seating. I don't mind that, really.

It sucks battling for position 90% of the show. I'm 37. Too old for conflict. Don't need to jockey. Was at a primus show and had a great spot for the 1st set. 2nd set everyone rushed up front (including a guy with a Dr Suess hat in front of me) and my arms were pinned at my sides and my feet were suspended off the floor. Couldn't breathe and went to the back. I'm 5-5. Couldn't see a thing.

Before I hear "wah get reserved", it seems the band wants civility as well. I like getting in line when you do and claiming a space. Or not. People who don't shouldn't bum rush to the front.
    With that said. I did ga for the 1st time at msg and it was pretty good. Nobody trying to sneak up around me, yet people were pretty close and rocking out.
  • Options
    i prefer the term flaccid
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Not this chick =)
  • Options
    whofeelslikeadrankwhofeelslikeadrank Posts: 2,702
    edited May 2016
    hedonist said:

Not this chick =)
    Post edited by whofeelslikeadrank on
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    It felt pretty hard last night, either that or that was a drumstick in its pocket. =)
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    VOLAREVOLARE Posts: 314

GA at usa is like making love and in SA and Europe like hardcore sex

Yeah, I got "violated" against the front row in Mexico. Hahaha
    8-28-92 Harriet Island
    6-16-93 University Theatre, UM
    2-8-95 Adams Field House
    6-20-98 Washington-Grizzly Stadium
    5-28-03 Adams Field House
    8-29-05 Adams Field House
    7-22-06 Gorge Amphitheater
    9-3-11 Alpine Valley
    9-30-12 Adams Field House
    10-31-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    11-01-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    9-6-13 Key Arena
    6-20-14 Milan
    6-22-14 Trieste
    11-28-15 Mexico City
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,650
    PJ_Soul said:

Ga has actually given me more personal space than ive ever had at a Pearl Jam concert. I stand in the back where the crowd is spread out and its amazing. Its like dancing in my living room, but with pearl jam playing live in front of me. It helps that im taller than the average person.
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    my2hands said:

There is no shortage of crushed ribs, elbows, bruises, community, blood, sweat, tears, and passion over there. Even I had to move back at points because it gets pretty rough and you can barely breathe sometimes.

I see no need for this at all... getting crushed and not being able to breathe is not cool, especially when considering a lot of people have been killed at concerts in the past because of this shit... including a pearl jam concert

I'll take my side stage seat... at eye level with the band... on Mikes side... perfect view... easy access to the bathroom and refreshments

I love how GA guys think they are so cool nowadays... GA or bust... people waiting in line for 2 days to be 30 feet closer than me... thanks for making it easier to score my reserved seats, I appreciate it! lol

I have no issue with GA, and hope they keep it... I just love how people go apeshit over it like every other seat sucks
    my2hands said:

You're right. It can be dangerous and it's not for everybody. But there is something so primal that happens when a thousand illusions of "personal space" dissolves into one big space and one collective mind. Humanity thrives in chaos, not structure. It's amazing how quickly people can connect on the deepest of levels in chaotic situations.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited May 2016
    nycrats said:

Toronto rear third was wide open. I was doing mccready like circles during songs because why not, they were playing binaural!

Lol that's awesome
  • Options

Thanks for comparing me to a nutjob who would wait outside for the band to walk to the bus.
    I been found out...

I've witnessed that particular scene every time Ed goes to the rail. I just happened to be right there. In all honesty, I'd rather be closer to the band than parked in the 300's, 3/4s of the way around the bowl.

So not lol.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    I can see both sides.
    From experience, I have been in around 100 pits, and have never seen anybody try to hurt people on purpose. I have never been to a metal concert though.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,232
    There's a reason there is no specified seat or space listed on GA tickets.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    PJ_Soul said:

yes, exactly.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    what do we define as "personal space" though?

Like yeah, dont expect a halo of 3 feet in any direction. There will be a little contact. A bit crowded....

But is it a license for every bro who was out guzzling beer until 8PM to try to nudge up front in front of people who waited a long time in line?