2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562

Free said:

In the age of mosh pits, there was no crying or complaining... girls stayed away from them and if you got a boot to the head, it was time to get out. If one can't handle GA or complains about it, perhaps it's best to avoid it altogether. We've become pussified.

I would say dignified.
    Boot to the head? Repeatedly hit?
    WTF
    These are the fans we don't want at any concert.
    Fuck that noise.
    Weren't a grunge fan of the '90s, eh?
    And to those offended by the word "pussified"... you make my point exactly. No offense to women. It was used as a term to define the difference between being a music fan 20 years ago vs. one today.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Free said:

In the age of mosh pits, there was no crying or complaining... girls stayed away from them and if you got a boot to the head, it was time to get out. If one can't handle GA or complains about it, perhaps it's best to avoid it altogether. We've become pussified.

Mosh pits are lame and dont make you tough or more of a man

I watched multiple people get carted out on stretchers at a Rage Against The Machine concert... there was nothing cool about it... a bunch of drunk white guys not even there for the music... just a way to show off testosterone ...nothing but anger and negative energy... honestly, it was disgusting human behavior and I'm not fucking impressed

Then I went to a grateful dead show and saw how music should be enjoyed... people were happy... people were dancing... people were communal... people were peaceful... no anger, no hatred, just a love for the music... now THAT was fucking impressive

The contrast of those 2 shows was powerful to me as a younger concert goer
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    eddiec said:

USA/Canada definitely a bit softer these days.
    SA/Europe (center in front of Ed) Still pretty rough.

word
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Free said:

Free said:

I would say dignified.
    WTF
    Fuck that noise.
    And to those offended by the word "pussified"... you make my point exactly. No offense to women. It was used as a term to define the difference between being a music fan 20 years ago vs. one today.
    You haven't progressed in 20 years? The band sure has, they don't want that dumb fucking behavior at their shows and neither do 99% of the fans

Might I ask how old you are? Honest question... I bet you're 24 years old and have never seen a mosh pit...
  • Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    Zod said:

Do the euro shows do the small pit up front thing? I thought they had the whole floor as a pit kind of thing. In my experience the bigger the pit the more energy it has. If you go to something where the complete venue is GA it's complete insanity. If it's an entire GA floor (but the seats are seated) it's medium insanity. If there's a small GA section cordoned off in front of the stage, it tends to be mellower. Pit insanity tends to be directly correlated to the size of the pit?

Personally I sing my lungs out but I'm not much of a dancer :)

If my memory is right it's full GA floors with a couple split into 10c up front and public sale behind. I can't remember any with seats/GA split.
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Options
    Free said:

Free said:

I would say dignified.
    WTF
    Fuck that noise.
    you didn't offend me #evenbro. nothing at all in this world you could ever say that is going to offend me. i bet you make your mom proud with those big words. happy for you!
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited May 2016
    Free said:

Free said:

I would say dignified.
    WTF
    Fuck that noise.
    Of course I was, that is how I got introduced to Pearl Jam.
    Even back then I didn't want part of that mess. In fact even PJ had to take a breather from it.
    The Ottawa show had a tiny paragraph on a piece of paper on each entrance door politely asking not to mosh - I thought that was pretty funny. Haven't seen moshing in years at PJ.
    And no I am not offended at that word I just disagree to your point that you may be hard pressed to find hard moshing at any concerts now. (security etc)
    I just don't see PJ fans today want to be the moshers of 25yrs ago.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Are you kidding? I'm 45. How old are you, to be satisfied with how offensive everyone's become and that's acceptable. In the '90s, people overall were more acceptable and respectful of others in general overall, as a society. Today's society has not gotten better, it's gotten worse with everyone getting offended about nearly everything. Asking people to sit down at a concert, to be quiet (the lady next to me said that to another woman in Ottawa), to not get in my personal space... It's all a travesty.

It's a loud, in your face, crowded rock concert.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Free said:

Free said:

I would say dignified.
    WTF
    Fuck that noise.
    Free did someone hack your account?? This is the complete opposite of what you post like in AMT.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Nobody is offended by being in the GA.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Damn females being in GA. The nerve of them! :eye roll:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ckravitz said:

Free said:

Free said:

I would say dignified.
    WTF
    Fuck that noise.
    Free did someone hack your account?? This is the complete opposite of what you post like in AMT.
    The complaints people have about being a live music fan these days are over the top.

I stood at an RNDM show in Boston and the people all around me had their phones attached to their faces, practically with the band being 5 feet away. Stood like statues. In my 25 years of being a fan, shows are suddenly starting to lose their luster, when fans complain of someone invading their personal space. Sorry.

Yes, GA has gotten soft. That's obvious. The band wants a GA that's tight, jumping and throwing all of their energy towards them. Think South America shows. When you have people in the GA requiring certain personal space? Seriously?? That's not the kind of show that go down in the books for being memorable.
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    edited May 2016

I would hope we could have some civility in GA.....remember the 9 friends we lost?

Seriously, people lamenting the loss of days when "sanctioned assault" (As I think I heard it put once) was okay, with this band of all things.

And I'm not saying everyone go be boring, either. I was in the pit in Tampa, I jumped and sang. I don't get why people like to be statues, but to each his own.
    Post edited by Mike D88 on
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Free said:

ckravitz said:

Free said:

Free said:

I would say dignified.
    WTF
    Fuck that noise.
    The complaints people have about being a live music fan these days are over the top.

I stood at an RNDM show in Boston and the people all around me had their phones attached to their faces, practically with the band being 5 feet away. Stood like statues. In my 25 years of being a fan, shows are suddenly starting to lose their luster, when fans complain of someone invading their personal space. Sorry.

Yes, GA has gotten soft. That's obvious. The band wants a GA that's tight, jumping and throwing all of their energy towards them. Think South America shows. When you have people in the GA requiring certain personal space? Seriously?? That's not the kind of show that go down in the books for being memorable.
    Yeah, I don't doubt that at all. Pretty sure they don't want them being rude or an asshole though either (ie, repeatedly hitting or kicking others around them whether intentionally or not). That's kind of been the point of many of the comments.

Just look after yourself and those around you. Not so difficult.

• Options
    Free said:

Are you kidding? I'm 45. How old are you, to be satisfied with how offensive everyone's become and that's acceptable. In the '90s, people overall were more acceptable and respectful of others in general overall, as a society. Today's society has not gotten better, it's gotten worse with everyone getting offended about nearly everything. Asking people to sit down at a concert, to be quiet (the lady next to me said that to another woman in Ottawa), to not get in my personal space... It's all a travesty.

It's a loud, in your face, crowded rock concert.

Ok, so you've made little to no progress since 1992...

Who said anything about being offended? I love getting kicked in the head by a drunk asshole during Sirens

Maybe we should kick the girls out of the pit so a bunch of drunk sweaty guys can pound into each other during Just Breathe? I bet you would love that wouldn't you? lol

Nobody cares if you rock out dude, nobody finds that offensive... just don't be the asshole that tries to take every inch he can get, and respect your neighbors... wtf is so difficult with that?

Been to a pearl jam show lately? See anyone moshing? There are more children than mosh pits my friend

But again, this coming from a guy who always though "moshing" was lame... and frankly a little pathetic to be honest... but I guess some guys love slamming into other sweaty men lol
  • Options

Free said:

Free said:

I would say dignified.
    WTF
    Fuck that noise.
    you didn't offend me #evenbro. nothing at all in this world you could ever say that is going to offend me. i bet you make your mom proud with those big words. happy for you!
    Passive aggressive much?
  • Options

I would hope we could have some civility in GA.....remember the 9 friends we lost?

• Options
    ...and I'm not advocating a boot to the head. The early 90s was a hell of a time and I had many friends getting hurt. I stayed out of it, I am small, I know my limits.

What I am attempting to point out is that we need to stop telling others how to live. I do think GA has gotten boring in America. But who am I to tell anyone else how to live? How to rock out? I didn't like statues standing in front of me, but in the 25 years of being a fan, and short, I have never and would never, ask someone to move aside because I can't see. In comparing the two decades, what we need is to let people just be and to stop being offended by friggin every. little. thing. Including being offended by mosh pits as well.
  • Options
    nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    edited May 2016
    I'm not saying we need o go back to the days of '92 when we were stuffed together like sardines . . . I don't want that at all at my age either. I was just highlighting the complete polar opposite that we have gone to. Sure, I don't care too much on how you enjoy the show, but I feel the band wants to feed off the energy of the pit and if half of it is standing still, then why bother having a pit at all?

I guess the main point that should be taken from my original post is that I found it absolutely ridiculous that the girl complained that someone was in her personal space in the pit of a rock concert. I don't think anyone should be entitled to, nor expect to have, a ton of space around them. As long as everyone is polite, I am fine with people moving forward in the pit.

And yes, I do remember the 9 friends we lost . . . I'm in no way suggesting we all go crazy. Just be respectful, but lower the sense of entitlement in the pit.
    Post edited by nevmiles on
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options
    GustieIIIGustieIII Posts: 231
    I was at the Ottawa show in GA on Mikes side. There was a bit of space to dance or move or what have you and I wouldn't have traded it for anything. I've been to some big outdoor concerts back when the edge radio station used to sponsor the Molson park shows in Barrie Ontario, and that was an awesome experience. You'd get lifted off the ground by the sheer mass of humanity pushing towards the front, but I wouldn't want that indoors at PJ. It was awesome to see people of all ages enjoying themselves and rocking out, I'm glad it's not limited to a younger set that isn't as concerned about safety.
    There was a Mom carrying her daughter that came up close to Mikes side near the last half of the show and Mike pointed and waved making eye contact more than a few times. I feel like those moments are more than worth the crazy mob that we've seen in prior years.
    Like A Fist To The Jaw
  • Options
    nevmiles said:

I'm not saying we need o go back to the days of '92 when we were stuffed together like sardines . . . I don't want that at all at my age either. I was just highlighting the complete polar opposite that we have gone to.

I guess the main point that should be taken from my original post is that I found it absolutely ridiculous that the girl complained that someone was in her personal space in the pit of a rock concert. I don't think anyone should be entitled to, nor expect to have, a ton of space around them. As long as everyone is polite, I am fine with people moving forward in the pit.

And yes, I do remember the 9 friends we lost . . . I'm in no way suggesting we all go crazy. Just be respectful, but lower the sense of entitlement in the pit.

Perfect.
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,812
    If peeing your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    A couple bad apples always show up - make it 5 v 1 and they go away :)
  • Options
    Corey666Corey666 Ottawa, Canada Posts: 31
    edited May 2016
    I was at the Ottawa show in the Pit and it was my first show!! I won't shove people, but jumping, headbanging, clapping and enjoying the songs i'm all in for!! Missed a tambourine by inches, Eddie pointed me out in the crowd because I was jumping like crazy and tried to split the crowd like Moses did with the water so he could trow the tambourine to me!!
    Post edited by Corey666 on
  • Options
    PearlybakerPearlybaker Posts: 207
    Dumb thread - it's not 1994 else Ed would be dropping off the rafters on top of the same 12 year old girl's head that he later ensures gets the tambourine you stole from her.

You can have personal space, jump around if the music moves you to, and sing your balls off without trying to live the good ole days and while preserving your dignity by acting your age.

Given the fitness of most of the PJ fans, most of us wouldn't make through MYM anyway at the '94 pace. I personally don't want you hitting me, sweating on me, or pressing your distended gut against me like some dude was doing in merch line at Miami.
    "Hey, listen asshole, one more fucker throws a fuckin' quarter up here and we're outta here, I'm tellin' ya, FUCKER! What the fuck, you're blowin' it for fuckin' everybody. Hit me with a fuckin' quarter again and, fuck it, I'm outta here. We're all outta here. Fuck you, and if anyone sees someone throw fuckin' change right next to them, you have my permission to beat the fuckin' holy shit outta them."
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Dumb thread - it's not 1994 else Ed would be dropping off the rafters on top of the same 12 year old girl's head that he later ensures gets the tambourine you stole from her.

You can have personal space, jump around if the music moves you to, and sing your balls off without trying to live the good ole days and while preserving your dignity by acting your age.

Given the fitness of most of the PJ fans, most of us wouldn't make through MYM anyway at the '94 pace. I personally don't want you hitting me, sweating on me, or pressing your distended gut against me like some dude was doing in merch line at Miami.

Amen! Thanks for the smile, Pearly.
  • Options
    Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    edited May 2016
    my2hands said:

I had a small group of stiffs in front of me at QC. Know what I did? Jumped for a third of the show, sang (yelled) for 90% of it, and probably hit this girl in the shoulder 12 times with my elbow from raising my right arm and hi-fiving a guy I spent the day with. I had the best time. So don't be afraid to bring it man even if the people around you aren't.

did the girl you kept hitting have the best time? or does that not matter?
    I can see how that post was a little clunky, I definitely could have chosen a better way to put it. Sorry it was misunderstood.
    If you really think I "hit" a girl 12 times then I don't know what to tell you. Yes I bumped the girl a few times, but I also apologized and shared a laugh with her after the concert. I apologize if I made anyone think I'm some sort of misogynist or plain jerk. Couldn't be farther from the truth. Peace out
    Post edited by Mignelli14 on
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    pdalowsky said:

That said GA is a no brainer. I'd take a 'soft' GA over seats any day at all

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

what would you personally do, if this happened though. Would you get all accusatory and entitled to those invading your space like you own it? .., or would you leave and find a better space for yourself. That's the difference between the decades.