Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    edited September 2016
    PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

The misinformation caused by social media is fucking dangerous as hell.

Yeah it is, and when you reacted strongly to the initial post from PJ POWER, I immediately assumed that frustration or anger was about that. These kinds of lies are constantly being disseminated on social media, and MILLIONS of people gobble it up as fact, and start disseminating the false information as fact themselves. It's like wild fire. In front of their children, no less, who then start building their own world views on half-truths and complete bullshit. It is SCARY, and I think one of the bigger threats to society today, TBH.
    I fully agree, but would like to also point out that this trend is not specific to one political party. The memes going back and forth is what drives my crazy these days and is a sure way to get unfollowed if not unfriended on social media.
    No it's not, but one party is definitely a LOT guiltier than the other, and I'm sure you can guess which one I mean, lol. But I'm not really talking parties only. Just fucking trolls on the Internet with an agenda are the worst perpetrators. People are largely allowing massive delusional losers who think they're clever make up their facts for them. And, of course, there is the media... and yeah, it is largely the right wing wacko branch of the media pulling this shit. Like those online polls about Trump winning the debate for instance, and then right wing media very loudly making it seem like they mean something other than how fucking screwed up and manipulative the campaign and online polls are. That was a culmination of the Trump campaign, idiotic Trump supporters, and mainstream right wing media.
    Yeah, I'm not sure it is so one sided. I've seen some pretty jacked up shit coming from both. It probably depends on one's own political leaning as to how innocent one or the other side acts on social media. Look at the primary Bernie vs Hillary timeframe for PLENTY examples. I witness plenty of nazi fearmonging from the Hillary supported media towards Bernie and still see Bernie media supporters using the same talking points and memes as Trump supporters...whether they are accurate or not. Too large of a social media platform for shit not to be flung from all directions...
    On a side note, Yay for freedom of speech!!!
    No, I agree both sides... but yeah, truly thinking as objectively as possible, the nutty right does it more. I'm talking about relaying false facts, not objectionable editorialism like making Hitler comparisons.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:
    I agree that these things are not connected at all. I've always contended that the housing crisis came down to one thing and everyone in the process was complicit (buyers, agents, underwriters, brokers, traders), and that was the creation of unique mortgage products designed to get anyone into any home. Interest only loans, stated income loans, short term arms, etc. These were all products that eventually blew the whole thing up.
    Yeah the tax cuts led to massive deficits that we are still paying for....the bigger issue was the banks fucking everyone over

Remember that part of Bush's tax cut plan was temporary....that "stimulus" refund was to go away and the rates ticked up a bit after a certain amount of time. The GOP then blamed Obama for those tax increases even though he didn't have anything to do with them.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,679

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:
    I agree that these things are not connected at all. I've always contended that the housing crisis came down to one thing and everyone in the process was complicit (buyers, agents, underwriters, brokers, traders), and that was the creation of unique mortgage products designed to get anyone into any home. Interest only loans, stated income loans, short term arms, etc. These were all products that eventually blew the whole thing up.
    Yeah the tax cuts led to massive deficits that we are still paying for....the bigger issue was the banks fucking everyone over

Remember that part of Bush's tax cut plan was temporary....that "stimulus" refund was to go away and the rates ticked up a bit after a certain amount of time. The GOP then blamed Obama for those tax increases even though he didn't have anything to do with them.
    Deficits YES! Housing crisis NO!

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

Deficits YES! Housing crisis NO!

Exactly.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

It's pretty telling when people are drilling holes in their new iPhones for headphone jacks based on a video they saw on social media, lol

Oh man, lol. When I saw that story I actually looked it up on Snopes to see if it was true that people were really falling for it. I thought maybe the claim that anyone was actually doing it was fake ..... and found that Snopes only bothered to confirm that getting a headphone jack by drilling a hole in your iPhone was false. SMH.
    (Stupidest thing Apple ever did btw)
    I am not following...what did Apple do here?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

It's pretty telling when people are drilling holes in their new iPhones for headphone jacks based on a video they saw on social media, lol

Oh man, lol. When I saw that story I actually looked it up on Snopes to see if it was true that people were really falling for it. I thought maybe the claim that anyone was actually doing it was fake ..... and found that Snopes only bothered to confirm that getting a headphone jack by drilling a hole in your iPhone was false. SMH.
    They removed the headphone jack. So you have to use blu tooth headphones or use the adapter that plugs into the charge port. So I suppose you can't charge and listen to your headphones at the same time unless they are wireless.
  • Options
    Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    mrussel1 said:

OnWis97 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

They removed the headphone jack. So you have to use blu tooth headphones or use the adapter that plugs into the charge port. So I suppose you can't charge and listen to your headphones at the same time unless they are wireless.
    This was a business move- Now apple users have to adapt to this product. As someone who uses Apple products, do I like it? Nope. But they are now locking us into this new product. And anyone else who attempts to make new headphones will have to spend money in changing their designs.
  • Options
    tonifig8 said:

mrussel1 said:

OnWis97 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

This was a business move- Now apple users have to adapt to this product. As someone who uses Apple products, do I like it? Nope. But they are now locking us into this new product. And anyone else who attempts to make new headphones will have to spend money in changing their designs.
    Definitely a business move. It means they can make the product slimmer which means they can release a new I7, which means new revenue, plus the wireless headphones. I hate Apple myself. I don't use their phone, hate Itunes, hate lossy music, hate being locked into a specific user experience. And I think they've developed lame ass products since Jobs died.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

tonifig8 said:

mrussel1 said:

OnWis97 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

Definitely a business move. It means they can make the product slimmer which means they can release a new I7, which means new revenue, plus the wireless headphones. I hate Apple myself. I don't use their phone, hate Itunes, hate lossy music, hate being locked into a specific user experience. And I think they've developed lame ass products since Jobs died.
    ouch! I agree with you, but still love my iphone and its operating system above all other phones I've used. I was originally a blackberry guy up until a few years ago.

On a side note, since you mentioned music ... a few days back you made a comment about going to see Mumford and Sons (i'm pretty sure it was you). I saw them a week or so ago, which was my 3rd time watching them. What was your take on them? I thought they put on a pretty good show and I think they sound pretty darn good live, which a lot of bands tend to not sound good live.

back to hillary
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    mrussel1 said:

OnWis97 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

And it puts to waste the good headphones that so many people bought and forces them to buy good wireless headphones that aren't as good as good wired ones in any case, or use the crappy ones that come with the phone.
    I'm not invested in this - I would never buy anything Apple for shit just like this and the reasons behind such things. I just can't believe even Apple went that far in forcing new accessories down their customers' throats.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    mrussel1 said:

OnWis97 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

Ah...I got an iPhone 5 six months ago...I don't need to be on top of things. And I still role with an iPod Nano; I actually prefer them to be separate.

I am not a tech guy, so I had no idea. But two comments:
    -Yeah, that sucks
    -Anyone that tried to drill in headphone jack into an iPhone is a nitwit.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

OnWis97 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

And it puts to waste the good headphones that so many people bought and forces them to buy good wireless headphones that aren't as good as good wired ones in any case, or use the crappy ones that come with the phone.
    I'm not invested in this - I would never buy anything Apple for shit just like this and the reasons behind such things. I just can't believe even Apple went that far in forcing new accessories down their customers' throats.
    I can believe it. Their business is not particularly diverse in my opinion, particularly compared to Alphabet (Google). But that's for a different thread! Kat already smacked me once for this very subject.

PS, I don't like Trump.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

unsung said:

Government shouldn't get anything, no matter how much the value. It's theft, nothing more.

When are taxes ever considered not theft by you?
    Never.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    tonifig8 said:

mrussel1 said:

tonifig8 said:

mrussel1 said:

OnWis97 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

ouch! I agree with you, but still love my iphone and its operating system above all other phones I've used. I was originally a blackberry guy up until a few years ago.

On a side note, since you mentioned music ... a few days back you made a comment about going to see Mumford and Sons (i'm pretty sure it was you). I saw them a week or so ago, which was my 3rd time watching them. What was your take on them? I thought they put on a pretty good show and I think they sound pretty darn good live, which a lot of bands tend to not sound good live.

back to hillary
    One thing that Hillary and I agree on is that we think Mumford was pretty good in concert, but not great. Now this was a few years ago, on the Babel tour. I did not like Wilder very much. I thought Sigh No More was great, because it was so different when it hit. I was wondering what their next move would be musically and I think it's just okay. We'll see what the future brings. But I can say for sure that Hillary will not ban Mumford from future ACL concerts. Trump might.

Edit - and it was at the Patriot Center (NOVA/ suburban DC) which I don't think is a very good venue acoustically.
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    OnWis97 said:

mrussel1 said:

OnWis97 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

Ah...I got an iPhone 5 six months ago...I don't need to be on top of things. And I still role with an iPod Nano; I actually prefer them to be separate.

I am not a tech guy, so I had no idea. But two comments:
    -Yeah, that sucks
    -Anyone that tried to drill in headphone jack into an iPhone is a nitwit.
    I also use a separate mp3 player (Sony) instead of my Galaxy S7 for music. It's just because I want to carry my music in my pocket, and as a woman, smartphones are too big for my pockets. Smartphone stays in the bag. But headphones are still important on it because I watch plenty of videos on the phone. Plus, the headphone jack is how I plug my phone into my soundsystem for when I play Spotify at home. I'd be pissed if I had to buy adapters or just be forced to waste the equipment I already bought for that. But not so pissed i'd resort to taking a power drill to my phone. :lol:
    Silly Apple. Anyway....... sorry, so off topic. :)
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

unsung said:

Government shouldn't get anything, no matter how much the value. It's theft, nothing more.

What did government do to deserve a cut of a potential estate tax?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

unsung said:

Upheld the rule of law and defended the land that was used to accumulate the wealth to begin with.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    unsung said:

unsung said:

Protect your ass from foreign invasion?
    Do you think taxes are some new fangled Democratic invention? I'm pretty sure the concept of gov't levying taxes has been around for at least 20 years now.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    tonifig8 said:

mrussel1 said:

OnWis97 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

This isn't exactly true. The space occupied by the DAC, receptacle, and chip for the headphone jack have been is now occupied by the haptic feedback sensor for the home button redesign, additional battery capacity, rubber sealing for moderate waterproofing, a faster lens (meaning better low light performance), and the dual telephoto/wide angle lenses on the 7 plus. There's no zero-compromise scenario in product design - something's gotta give!

But echoing mrussel's sentiments - sorry Kat!

PS, Clinton for President!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,853
    tonifig8 said:

mrussel1 said:

OnWis97 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

I'm getting tired of Apple's business moves. when I bought my new ipod touch, I brought it home, "ah fuck, the input is different, now I have to spend $30 on an adapter so I can connect to my dock".

that company sucks.

this whole wireless headphone shit is just a money grab. people are going to lose one ear piece constantly and have to buy a whole new pair.

anyway, back to drumpf.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited September 2016
    benjs said:

tonifig8 said:

mrussel1 said:

OnWis97 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

This isn't exactly true. The space occupied by the DAC, receptacle, and chip for the headphone jack have been is now occupied by the haptic feedback sensor for the home button redesign, additional battery capacity, rubber sealing for moderate waterproofing, a faster lens (meaning better low light performance), and the dual telephoto/wide angle lenses on the 7 plus. There's no zero-compromise scenario in product design - something's gotta give!

Funny how Samsung manages to get all those features in more successfully including better waterproofing (besides the dual lense camera, which is a bit of a scam, fyi, and not new), plus some more features of their own, and still keep a headphone jack. Apple's move had nothing to do with the features, that's just an excuse. It is all about marketing/selling yet more restrictive, non-compatible product and expanding their monopoly tactics.
    (Notwithstanding the Galaxy Note 7s that are bursting into flames. Whoops!)

So did Mark Cuban actually show up to that debate?
  • Options

tonifig8 said:

mrussel1 said:

OnWis97 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

I'm getting tired of Apple's business moves. when I bought my new ipod touch, I brought it home, "ah fuck, the input is different, now I have to spend $30 on an adapter so I can connect to my dock".

that company sucks.

this whole wireless headphone shit is just a money grab. people are going to lose one ear piece constantly and have to buy a whole new pair.

anyway, back to drumpf.
    It's what I like about Android and Google type products... I've got a million micro usb's around the house. and they always work. It doesn't matter if I'm listening to Hillary or Trump while using my handheld product.
  • Options
    benjs said:

tonifig8 said:

mrussel1 said:

OnWis97 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

We need to start that investor thread. That could be interesting and far less confrontational.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

tonifig8 said:

mrussel1 said:

OnWis97 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

that company sucks.

anyway, back to drumpf.
    Haha... They can't keep the same layout forever man. They have to change things up to keep everyone on their toes. Remember Google came out with that shitty phone a few years ago? They were probably the worst phones ever created in the modern era. Haha... Benjs posted a solid message, with the exception of "Hillary for prez".

P.S
    My vote goes to neither Trump or Clinton, so I can't end my post with a cool cheer like the rest of you.

America takes one step back, maybe two.
    Post edited by Boxes&Books on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Do you think taxes are some new fangled Democratic invention? I'm pretty sure the concept of gov't levying taxes has been around for at least 20 years now.
    LOL. Keep trying for $15/hr, that'll solve it.
  • Options
    unsung said:

mrussel1 said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Non-sequitur
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    tonifig8 said:

tonifig8 said:

mrussel1 said:

OnWis97 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

that company sucks.

anyway, back to drumpf.
    Haha... They can't keep the same layout forever man. They have to change things up to keep everyone on their toes. Remember Google came out with that shitty phone a few years ago? They were probably the worst phones ever created in the modern era. Haha... Benjs posted a solid message, with the exception of "Hillary for prez".

My vote goes to neither Trump or Clinton, so I can't end my post with a cool cheer like the rest of you.

Money making tactics. That's it. I work in a high tech office, and we are allowed to choose Apple products or Windows product, depending on our personal preferences. I can't tell you how much more money we've spent on buying fucking adpaters and all kinds of special software to get the Apple products to work with our other systems and do what we need to do. It's totally ridiculous. (Of course some work is better for Macs, particularly the design stuff and audio editing. But for the most part... I'm surprised people put up with it).

So how exactly would a president increase the practice of corporate profit sharing, as Hillary suggested she'd do?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

unsung said:

mrussel1 said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Non-sequitur
    Your entire economic plan revolves around being a leech.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

tonifig8 said:

tonifig8 said:

mrussel1 said:

OnWis97 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

that company sucks.

anyway, back to drumpf.

Money making tactics. That's it. I work in a high tech office, and we are allowed to choose Apple products or Windows product, depending on our personal preferences. I can't tell you how much more money we've spent on buying fucking adpaters and all kinds of special software to get the Apple products to work with our other systems and do what we need to do. It's totally ridiculous. (Of course some work is better for Macs, particularly the design stuff and audio editing. But for the most part... I'm surprised people put up with it).

So how exactly would a president increase the practice of corporate profit sharing, as Hillary suggested she'd do?
    Mac users are so annoying in a corp environment. I had two marketing people that just....could....not....do their job without a mac. So we bought them macs, and Final Cut (no better than Sony Vegas) and all sorts of other software and they were still bad at their job. They're gone now and we have a bunch of mac crap.

A POTUS couldn't do anything individually but I guess in concept you could provide tax incentives that make it worthwhile to do profit sharing. In turn, you would see a reduction in attrition which is always great. When I worked for a large corporation, we would get stock grants that would vest like 10% in year 1, 25% in year 2 and 50% in year 5. So you really had to think hard about leaving because you were always going to leave multiple years of the grants on the table. It's actually really good business I think.

Edit - yes I know my math doesn't work, but you get the picture. It was back loaded.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    mrussel1 said:

tonifig8 said:

mrussel1 said:

tonifig8 said:

mrussel1 said:

OnWis97 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

back to hillary
    One thing that Hillary and I agree on is that we think Mumford was pretty good in concert, but not great. Now this was a few years ago, on the Babel tour. I did not like Wilder very much. I thought Sigh No More was great, because it was so different when it hit. I was wondering what their next move would be musically and I think it's just okay. We'll see what the future brings. But I can say for sure that Hillary will not ban Mumford from future ACL concerts. Trump might.

Edit - and it was at the Patriot Center (NOVA/ suburban DC) which I don't think is a very good venue acoustically.
    I am generally not for bans of any kind but if Trump is for a ban of Mumford And Sons then I am for him. They took great music and turned it into Coldplay. In all seriousness though republican leaders usually result in great protest music. Worldwide Suicide is one of my favourite PJ tunes and dare I say that without Bush we wouldn't have it. I'm also a very big fan of Bushleaguer. I look forward to what kind of fantastic music a Trump administration will generate. His candidacy alone already got me a Prophets of Rage show which may have been the best concert I have been to in my life. Hillary will bring us more electric Mumford...bleh.
This discussion has been closed.