Options

Police shooting in North Charleston

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    Yeah the suspect should of just sat there in car the worst that would of happened was jail for the warrant out on him jail but still alive ....
    Police could of just shot him not to kill but to stop , or gd could of chased him down this guy was no Bo Jackson or just let him go they had his license ...they could of tracked him down
    Did any body see the video of the cops running over the guy with gun on street just walking & shooting into air they just ran him over to stop him ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    I think most cops want to use their gun. I think this because they are trained to use it. When you train to do something you don't want to be denied the desire to use your training. I think a lot of cops are just looking for that excuse to pull their guns.

An example
    My friend is a fireman in Colorado up in the mountains. For the 1st two years they didn't fight a fire, yeah, they put out some BBQ fires and other little things, but no house in the town had gone on fire. One day they were called out and they rounded a bend to see a house on fire. He told me the whole truck started cheering because they were going to fight a real fire. There was no concern that somebody was losing their home, just elation that as firefighters they were going to fight a fire.

Obviously pulling your gun has a much more serious effect than pulling out a hose but carrying a gun is part of the job and training and I think a lot of cops daydream about taking a criminal out. I know I've daydreamed about everything I've ever trained for.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    i_lov_it said:

The common denominator in EVERY one of these police shootings has been these guys were resisting arrest. When will some of you realize that you can't do this. That your chances of being shot or killed increase dramatically when you resist.

Andy Savage is a GREAT defense attorney. I just wonder if there will be riots here in Charleston when this guy gets a second degree manslaughter conviction. Better yet for the defense, if the prosecution goes for first degree murder, there very well could be an acquittal.

But he wasn't being arrested though...it was just a routine traffic stop.
    What?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    eddiec said:

I think most cops want to use their gun. I think this because they are trained to use it. When you train to do something you don't want to be denied the desire to use your training. I think a lot of cops are just looking for that excuse to pull their guns.

An example
    My friend is a fireman in Colorado up in the mountains. For the 1st two years they didn't fight a fire, yeah, they put out some BBQ fires and other little things, but no house in the town had gone on fire. One day they were called out and they rounded a bend to see a house on fire. He told me the whole truck started cheering because they were going to fight a real fire. There was no concern that somebody was losing their home, just elation that as firefighters they were going to fight a fire.

Obviously pulling your gun has a much more serious effect than pulling out a hose but carrying a gun is part of the job and training and I think a lot of cops daydream about taking a criminal out. I know I've daydreamed about everything I've ever trained for.

There is definitely a tendancy among FF/EMT's to hope for adrenaline inducing cases, despite the fact that it means more likelihood of death aand destruction. Are cops different? Yes, but I highly dpubt that tendancy doesn't come into play to a certain extent.
    I know when I worked in the OR I delighted in the most complicated procedures... Though I must say, that was in Orthopedics, in the more life threatening services (cardio-thoracic, nephro, GI, neuro and the like) I only hoped for swift and simple resolution.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

This fight occurred in various stages over 100s of yards. The cop had deployed non-lethal tactics to detain the guy, but failed in each attempt. The cop no longer had his taser because it was used against him as he wrestled with the guy (which speaks to the problems inherent with choosing to engage a hostile suspect in such a manner). Right up to the point where he shot him, the cop had performed admirably- including at the stop.

To me, the cop had the following options at the point where he drew his pistol:
    1. Shoot him.
    2. Track him down again and get into another fight.
    3. Let him run away.

If the recent developments are accurate and options 2 and 3 not really options, option number one doesn't seem as ridiculous as it originally did; however, the choice to not let off a warning shot and choosing to shoot multiple times is where this cop screwed things up in my mind.

Sad on so many levels.

Option 3 is definitely an option. Remember this is a routine traffic stop. He was not stopped for any violent crime, or even any urgent issues. There is no reason that this needed to lead to him being shot, as opposed to the cop calling for reinforcements. The worst that would have have happened was that they failed to find him, at which point they are no worse off than before he was stopped.

In our jurisdiction there is a police policy not to engage in high speed chases with suspects in cars. If the suspect races away, then the following cop slows and calls for reinforcements to try to block the driver up ahead. They had found in several cases that engaging in a high speed chase simply increases risk for everyone, including innocent drivers on the road. This is similar - no need to escalate a routine situation into an emergency.
    I'm not sure I'm inclined to agree with you here.

Cops choosing not to endanger people's lives with a high speed car chase is quite a bit different than 'giving up' trying to detain a person resisting arrest in a situation where nobody else is at risk. They aren't similar at all in my mind.

How sympathetic would the public be if it was discovered that an innocent person was hurt as a result of a cop electing to let a guy run away as in this scenario?

I might be in the minority, but I don't want police to give up trying to secure a person resisting arrest because they have made it difficult. If that becomes the policy, it goes without saying the standard operating procedure for many criminals would be to resist.

I would prefer people to stop resisting arrest. Better yet... I'd prefer people stop doing things that require cops to arrest them.
    There is absolutely nothing in this story to suggest he posed a risk to any innocent bystander if allowed to continue to run while the first officer continues to follow as the other officers gather; clearly they would have been there in about a minute anyway, given the video. I have seen police detain people many times and it's pretty much standard to gather reinforcements if someone has resisted one officer, or even if they haven't but the officer isn't sure of their ability to contain the situation.
    You mean outside of violently resisting arrest and fleeing in a highly agitated state and ultimately knowing how things played out.

What if the second cop had tried, like the first cop, to wrestle him down and his service revolver instead of the taser was taken and used against him?

How many larger cases have been solved as a result of routine traffic stops? When he ran, as 12 said, this became a highly unusual situation.

Do you feel he has any culpability in this incident at all? If the officer had drawn his pistol and shot him as he stole his taser and began using it on him... would this be excessive force?
    Yes it's excessive force. Cops can not be executioners. Can't kill for running away. Nuts.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    You missed the question.

I asked if he had shot him while the guy had taken his taser from him and was in the process of using it on him... would this be excessive force?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

You missed the question.

I asked if he had shot him while the guy had taken his taser from him and was in the process of using it on him... would this be excessive force?

No. But unloading your weapon, yes.

• Options
    eddiec said:

You missed the question.

So at least for one point of the long, drawn out scuffle, the officer exercised great restraint?
  • Options

eddiec said:

You missed the question.

So at least for one point of the long, drawn out scuffle, the officer exercised great restraint?
    I guess you could argue that, yes. But then he really messed up and he may do life in prison.

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited April 2015
    TB your coming up with hypotheticals to somehow excuse what happened.

Resisting arrest or running can not be reason to kill.

The cop made the error being a public servant that accepted the rules of engagement and didn't follow them.

Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

TB your coming up with hypotheticals to somehow excuse what happened.

Resisting arrest or running can not be reason to kill.

The cop made the error being a public servant that accepted the rules of engagement and didn't follow them.

He's guilty of shooting him. His final response was excessive (emptying his gun). As such, he will and should face charges. I'm not excusing anything.

Did you care to answer the question I posed to you?
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    He will spend time in jail. No doubt about that. But if the prosecution goes for first degree murder, this guy will walk.
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348

Yeah the suspect should of just sat there in car the worst that would of happened was jail for the warrant out on him jail but still alive ....
    Police could of just shot him not to kill but to stop , or gd could of chased him down this guy was no Bo Jackson or just let him go they had his license ...they could of tracked him down
    Did any body see the video of the cops running over the guy with gun on street just walking & shooting into air they just ran him over to stop him ...

Jose, there was more to the story then he was just shooting.

96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    eddiec said:

An example

Reminds me of some US pilots I met. They were tired of training exercises and wanted to kill and blow up things for real. Made me sick to my stomach.
  • Options
    This trial is wrapping up. Slager took the stand yesterday and the defense rested. The judge today is instructing the jury of the other charges that he could be found guilty of. It's highly unlikely he is convicted of first degree murder.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Appears to be headed for a mistrial. 11 jurors voted to convict on a manslaughter charge. 1 juror says he will not convict on any charge.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    edited December 2016
    eddiec said:

An example

I really don't think that's the case with cops. I think it is justified in some places like the military. Someone might join because they believe a certain group of people are evil, and by killing them you are saving American lives. Not saying I 100% agree, but there's more to it than just joining to kill people.

Very few cops ever fire their weapon at someone. I think most would prefer to go their whole career and never have to. There isn't a defined enemy like ISIS they are fighting. Many cops who do shoot someone end up getting treatment and counseling or have difficulty going back on the job.

If you're going to relate putting out a fire to what police do I would say it is more like a high-speed chase, getting to drive 150 mph down the freeway. And I'm sure a lot have fun doing that. But taking a life is a whole new level that just doesn't compare.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    So, a mistrial has been declared. Jesus.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561

This should come as no surprise
    It was a jury of 11 white people (and 1 black guy) with a white cop defendant accusing of killing a black man in the south.
    Of course it is a hung jury
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017

This should come as no surprise
    It was a jury of 11 white people (and 1 black guy) with a white cop defendant accusing of killing a black man in the south.
    Of course it is a hung jury
    11-1 verdict is hardly an "of course" scenario. And almost always when it is just 1 or 2 votes away from conviction, they go forward with a retrial.
  • Options
    The retrial probably won't happen until 2018. The prosecutor has to now deal with dylan roof
  • Options
    I honestly don't think I could sit on that jury (dylan roof).
  • Options

I would eagerly sit on that jury to convict Mushroom Head.
  • Options

I would eagerly sit on that jury to convict Mushroom Head.
    lol@mushroom head
    I just don't think I could be impartial. Although, not sure how they're going to find enough people to give him a jury of his peers, especially in Charleston. It's all still so fresh in people's minds.
  • Options
    Good for you feeling that way. I don't think there is any question of guilt though. What we don't need is some fool feeling sorry for mushroom head and messing with the pursuit of justice.
  • Options

Good for you feeling that way. I don't think there is any question of guilt though. What we don't need is some fool feeling sorry for mushroom head and messing with the pursuit of justice.

Still have to have a trial though. I've sat on a jury for two trials, one being homicide by child abuse. As horrible as that was I can't imagine having to sit through a trial where some psycho killed 12 people in cold blood. I read today where his lawyers are trying to delay jury selection because of the Slager mistrial.
  • Options

Still have to have a trial though. I've sat on a jury for two trials, one being homicide by child abuse. As horrible as that was I can't imagine having to sit through a trial where some psycho killed 12 people in cold blood. I read today where his lawyers are trying to delay jury selection because of the Slager mistrial.
    Brutal.

Good for you doing your civic duty. Unfortunate you have to digest that. Traumatic.
  • Options
    Having the appearance of a mushroom makes someone evil. I had a feeling they'd go the 'mushroom head' defence.
  • Options

Having the appearance of a mushroom makes someone evil. I had a feeling they'd go the 'mushroom head' defence.

That is all you see when you look at him. That and his dead, evil eyes.

I read that his mother had a heart attack in the court room yesterday. Surprised she hasn't had one before now.