Options

The Idiot Thread

Comments

• Options

dignin said:

Man mocks alligators, jumps in water and is killed in Texas

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/04/us/texas-alligator-attack

They're calling this a tragedy. I'm thinking this has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.
    A tragedy for his family, that he made such an incredibly stupid decision.
    I know. I realize this is heartbreaking for the survivors and I do feel badly for them.

From a scientific perspective (and half seriously of course), our species is getting smarter every time something like this occurs. Our warning labels and signs stymie evolution somewhat.

This thread is full of people that might not have made it until now without society safeguarding them.
    Although we will never know just how much the mocking weighed into the alligator's decision, it must be said that it won this round.
    Reports have it the alligator was just chillin', but when "Fuk the alligators" was uttered... it kicked it up a couple notches! Yup. A decisive victory.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Sheer idiocy (this can't go well):

Just

plain

goofy.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited July 2015

dignin said:

They're calling this a tragedy. I'm thinking this has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.
    I know. I realize this is heartbreaking for the survivors and I do feel badly for them.

From a scientific perspective (and half seriously of course), our species is getting smarter every time something like this occurs. Our warning labels and signs stymie evolution somewhat.

This thread is full of people that might not have made it until now without society safeguarding them.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't think there is any scenario possible that will make humans smarter. We are guaranteed to get dumber and weaker at this point no matter how many idiots die doing stupid shit.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't think there is any scenario possible that will make humans smarter. We are guaranteed to get dumber and weaker at this point no matter how many idiots die doing stupid shit.
    Even with a mass idiot exodus?

The problem is that we are cross contaminating smart people with idiots. If we implemented a selective breeding policy, we would at least have a chance at eliminating the idiocy gene.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

The problem is that we are cross contaminating smart people with idiots. If we implemented a selective breeding policy, we would at least have a chance at eliminating the idiocy gene.
    Yeah, a selective breeding/sterilization of the idiots plan would definitely take care of things. Massive fines for each child born by idiots would speed things along too.... i wonder which politician will broach the subject? Maybe Trump could be good for something after all. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

Yeah, a selective breeding/sterilization of the idiots plan would definitely take care of things. Massive fines for each child born by idiots would speed things along too.... i wonder which politician will broach the subject? Maybe Trump could be good for something after all. :lol:
    Hahaha!

We need an idiot to take care of the idiots!
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited July 2015

dignin said:

From a scientific perspective (and half seriously of course), our species is getting smarter every time something like this occurs.
    Depends if he's bred already. Chances are by his age he has so maybe no more offspring going forward. Due to science and modern medicine they may be surviving more than dieing soooo we may be getting dumber as society.

Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

dignin said:

From a scientific perspective (and half seriously of course), our species is getting smarter every time something like this occurs.
    Depends if he's bred already. Chances are by his age he has so maybe no more offspring going forward. Due to science and modern medicine they may be surviving more than dieing soooo we may be getting dumber as society.

Modern medicine definitely isn't helping the gene pool, that's for sure.
  • Options
    They're dropping like flies.

A confirmed idiot tried to launch a firework off the top of his head. It didn't turn out so well.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/offbeat/police-man-shoots-off-firework-from-top-of-his-head-dies/ar-AAcAGSy
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828

A confirmed idiot tried to launch a firework off the top of his head. It didn't turn out so well.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/offbeat/police-man-shoots-off-firework-from-top-of-his-head-dies/ar-AAcAGSy

I think the relevant part is "A young man who was drinking and celebrating...."
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

This wasn't lost on me, but I have to say... I have been drunk and done some idiotic things- never anything remotely close as this.

The story I linked never gave a lot of details, but I'm also wondering if anyone at all said: "Hey, Idiot. That's not a good idea ya know. Launching a firework off the top of your head. If firecrackers blow people's fingers off... well... ya get what I'm saying?"
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828

This wasn't lost on me, but I have to say... I have been drunk and done some idiotic things- never anything remotely close as this.

The story I linked never gave a lot of details, but I'm also wondering if anyone at all said: "Hey, Idiot. That's not a good idea ya know. Launching a firework off the top of your head. If firecrackers blow people's fingers off... well... ya get what I'm saying?"
    Oh sure, not everyone who is drinking will do stupid things, but it's like smoking - not everyone who smokes will die of cancer or heart disease, but the odds are higher if you smoke, and similarly if you take a group of incredibly drunk people the odds are higher that someone will do something stupid compared to a group of sober people.

I think I read in another article that his friends did try to dissuade him, but like alligator guy he went ahead anyway.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    "Alligator guy" likely drinking as well and beer muscles did him in.

Just don't see a stoner contemplating jumping in to swim with 12 foot reptiles with many teeth.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Oh shit badbrains......another one bites the dust.
  • Options
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-man-soars-over-city-in-lawn-chair-attached-to-helium-balloons-1.3139591

This one made me smile.

Calgary man soars over city in lawn chair attached to helium balloons
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    dignin said:

It's a coin toss between this guy and the guy who blew his head off with a mortar shell on who is now leading the 2015 Darwin award standings.
  • Options
    dignin said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-man-soars-over-city-in-lawn-chair-attached-to-helium-balloons-1.3139591

This one made me smile.

Mixed feelings about this one.

Definitely 'idiot' characteristics associated with the stunt (this could have gone badly in so many ways), but kind of a classic.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    At least the balloon guy had a potential payoff; getting to go on a nice float. Sounds like fun, what's the payoff for shooting a mortar off your head?
    Looking cool to your douchy friends?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

At least the balloon guy had a potential payoff; getting to go on a nice float. Sounds like fun, what's the payoff for shooting a mortar off your head?

Yah. I don't see the upside here in any way.

In all seriousness, this guy would have been better off setting the firework from his ass. At least then he could yell, "Everybody. Shhhhh. I got one" and pretend to unleash the biggest fart of all time.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    rgambs said:

Except you still have a mass of balloons floating away in restricted flight paths.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

rgambs said:

Except you still have a mass of balloons floating away in restricted flight paths.
    This is the part of the stunt that carries 'idiotic' traits with it.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Jason P said:

rgambs said:

Not to mention that shit hitting electrical lines.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

dignin said:

This one made me smile.

Definitely 'idiot' characteristics associated with the stunt (this could have gone badly in so many ways), but kind of a classic.
    Lol! C'mon. Who hasn't wanted to do this?? I kind of consider this one dream fulfillment rather than idiocy, haha. Yes, there were risks. But someone breaking the law doesn't automatically = idiot, IMO. Okay okay, flight paths... there were at least idiotic features here. :tongue: But really, a chair attached to a bunch of balloons is awesome.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Some of the greatest joys to some people are idiotic ventures to others.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

This one made me smile.

Lol! C'mon. Who hasn't wanted to do this?? I kind of consider this one dream fulfillment rather than idiocy, haha. Yes, there were risks. But someone breaking the law doesn't automatically = idiot, IMO. Okay okay, flight paths... there were at least idiotic features here. :tongue: But really, a chair attached to a bunch of balloons is awesome.
    I maybe wasn't clear in my post: I think the stunt was a classic. I acknowledge the inherent troubles with the venture, but the event is hilarious.

The world would be pretty vanilla without these types of events. Actually, come to think of it, idiots make the world marvelous. Imagine if everyone was a curmudgeon like most of us on the MT?

"Idiots rule." (Jane's Addiction)
  • Options
    The man will now be a legend and will probably not have to pay for a drink in this town again.

I'm also glad that these characters are around.
  • Options
    It makes me think about how I kind of wished that the balloon boy incident had been real (but replace child with adult), lol.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    You knew it wouldn't be long before this thread got a bump.This young lady is a filthy human being.Classy.
    http://www.cbs12.com/news/top-stories/stories/police-investigate-mother-shown-video-throwing-around-newborn-baby-27768.shtml?wap=0&
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Is Donald trump here yet? Just because.