Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    mace1229 said:

I appreciate the apology, thank you.
    To respond to a few of your points,

In truth I had a different perception of what a school shooting was 2 days ago.  I think most people probably picture a student (or anyone) with a gun shooting directly at other students with the intention to harm or kill multiple students in a k-12 school when they hear "school shooting." That is what I think of anyway. If someone asked for my definition of a school shooting 2 days ago I would not have included suicides or someone outside the school shooting out a window, or the parking lot of a college. Not that they should not be included, it just hadn't occurred to me to include them. I know those things happen, I just never reflected on it.  So when I heard that data I wasn't trying to minimize the events. When I heard it was the 11th school shooting of 2018 I had 2 thoughts.
      1- Is that number accurate?
      2- If so, why were the other 10 not major news. That would be really disturbing to me
    I wanted clarification on the topic. Since I had almost no information myself, I had no link to post, I was just asking for information to help me understand why 10 other shootings did not make the news. 
    So now it isn't surprising or disturbing to me that a school suicide did not make national headlines. I still think it is misleading to claim 11 school shootings. But it doesn't matter, because the 8 or 9 I do agree on is still a big number and a big problem. Calling it 8 shootings instead of 11 doesn't lessen the problem, I was just calling out the media for being misleading. Maybe you and others think it doesn't matter, and in terms of gun violence you're right it really doesn't. But I was just calling a spade when I saw it, not trying to minimize anything.

I know I have mentioned my dad as a cop in the police abuse thread. I can't remember if I did not not here. But if I did it was probably to explain my roots for gun control, how I was raised to fear and respect guns has had an impact on my views and why I believe people who can't respect guns shouldn't own them.

I have never said there is nothing we can do. I am for changes. I am for registration and magazine limits among other changes. There are things we can do. I don't fear the government taking my guns away, I know there are measures we can take that don't leap that far.

I was surprised at your comment about my anticipated response to your article because how many dozens of links have you posted without a comment from me? I think quite a lot. I only respond if I have a question or an issue or can provide some feedback. Most the the time I have nothing to say because I don't know how to respond to gun tragedies. All of those links you've posted where I remain quite is because I agree those are tragedies but I don't know how to prevent/reduce them other than what has already been suggested 100 times on here. So there isn't a way for me to further that discussion. I really can;t recall attacking articles you've posted, that's why it struck me as odd. Maybe the few I have responded to I had real questions that were taken as attacks. Maybe I just had too many margaritas and don't remember, who knows.
    I don't aim to be passive aggressive on this topic. Maybe sometimes it turns into that I am being defensive, but those aren't my intentions when joining a discussion. Looks like we got somewhere today!
    I appreciate the response. Work calls. TBC.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    I think someone has confused the word "tenable" with "perfect". 

If we can't take perfect actions to correct a problem we shouldn't do anything at all.

Edit: I almost forgot the token THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS.
    Round and round we go.  Off to the next topic!  
    Given the argument is so blatantly one sided... it's more 'oblong and oblong we go'.
    Oh, there’s the cheerleader, I was wondering what happened to you!  Have any solutions today or just trolling?
    I've already laid them out several times in exceptional detail. I'm not doing it again- you're not prepared to listen anyways (you love shootin' shit too much).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Speaking of “shootin’ shit”, these popped up on the ol’ game camera.  Time to restock the bacon!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Double post
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Speaking of “shootin’ shit”, these popped up on the ol’ game camera.  Time to restock the bacon!
    Hey what's the story here?

Seriously. Give me some details.

30 Bills
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    PJPOWER said:

30 Bills
    Invasive species bud!  This is what an ar is built for. Those guys get nasty as hell.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

30 Bills
    This is a pretty typical bunch of the wild boars down here in TX that we are always talking about.  Do not want to walk up on a bunch of these unarmed.  They are crazy aggressive.  
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    edited January 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

30 Bills
    This is a pretty typical bunch of the wild boars down here in TX that we are always talking about.  Do not want to walk up on a bunch of these unarmed.  They are crazy aggressive.  
    Nah, they’re hamsters. I can see the wheel over on the right. I agree, they're not native, and can be invasive. You can get “ham” from them, but it’s a stretch to call it bacon. 
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

30 Bills
    Nah, they’re hamsters. I can see the wheel over on the right. I agree, there not native, and can be invasive. You can get “ham” from them, but it’s a stretch to call it bacon. 
    True, we usually just turn them into sausage if we find a one that’s a decent size.  The sausage is lean, but tastes like regular ol’ pork from the store.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

30 Bills
    Nah, they’re hamsters. I can see the wheel over on the right. I agree, there not native, and can be invasive. You can get “ham” from them, but it’s a stretch to call it bacon. 
    True, we usually just turn them into sausage if we find a one that’s a decent size.  The sausage is lean, but tastes like regular ol’ pork from the store.
    What is the approx weight of the biggest  wild boar you have seen?
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

30 Bills
    Probably about 300lbs, looked like a boulder rolling through the field, lol. Some people have run across ones a lot larger though.  I have seen packs of about 50 roaming through the country and occasionally they have been known to kill livestock...and people.  Do to these and the diamondback rattlesnakes, i’m pretty cautious when roaming the countryside:)
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

30 Bills
    Probably about 300lbs, looked like a boulder rolling through the field, lol. Some people have run across ones a lot larger though.  I have seen packs of about 50 roaming through the country and occasionally they have been known to kill livestock...and people.  Do to these and the diamondback rattlesnakes, i’m pretty cautious when roaming the countryside:)
    god damn that is big.  Stay safe bud.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

30 Bills

I figured as much.

I have no idea what hunting wild boars might be like.

I'm assuming the cages are a lure of some sort. Where is this with regards to where you live? Is this your rig? Tell me what you have going on here please!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

30 Bills

I figured as much.

I'm assuming the cages are a lure of some sort. Where is this with regards to where you live? Is this your rig? Tell me what you have going on here please!
    The cage is actually a hog trap.  My father in law traps them and there is a local guy that buys them and sells them.  Evidently these things are a delicacy in some places...The round thing is a hay feeder for cattle (to keep it from scattering too bad) and is turned up on its side...This particularly bunch has been messing up the cattle hay.  This is pretty near where we live.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Feral pigs is a more accurate name for them, but practically nobody who lives inside their range calls them that, anything but feral lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJPOWER said:
    Are those stills from Trump's Pee Pee tape? Do you have any coloured pictures to identify the orange hair?
  • Options
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Are those stills from Trump's Pee Pee tape? Do you have any coloured pictures to identify the orange hair?
    Pretty sure he’s the one on the bottom in the last pic, lol
  • Options
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:

lol
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

30 Bills

I figured as much.

The cage is actually a hog trap.  My father in law traps them and there is a local guy that buys them and sells them.  Evidently these things are a delicacy in some places...The round thing is a hay feeder for cattle (to keep it from scattering too bad) and is turned up on its side...This particularly bunch has been messing up the cattle hay.  This is pretty near where we live.

Thanks for the info! Wild pigs are not something I ever encounter at anytime where I live. Supposedly they're out there (escaped from barns?)... but they are not a nuisance as far as I know. None of my buddies who hunt regularly ever report sighting them.

I understand they can be fierce and have the potential to really hurt someone. I can see why an assault rifle might be useful against them. With that said, I'm still against the ownership of one despite this (trade offs).

* For the record... whether they were strong or not... I have offered very detailed arguments for restricting ownership before. I've got 1000s of posts and I don't care to dig them up or reinvent them. I've come to terms with the fact that the idea of restrictions is never going to happen in the US. This fact doesn't make owners shitty people. If you and I sat down and had beer together... I'm pretty sure we'd find things to laugh at and music we'd both simultaneously say, "What a great f**king tune!" My beliefs are mine. I like to express them. I like to defend them.

** I'm speaking from British Columbia if you don't remember. Wildlife is truly abundant here: coming back cross country skiing a few weeks back I saw a massive moose (it looked like it was trying to take down a tree). I've seen moose before, but this one was a barrel chested animal. It was huge! About 50 yards from it lurked a coyote watching it in action. A really neat scene.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Can't wait to get me gun out and kill some things!  woo!

I thirst for death and blood!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Smellyman said:

And sausage breakfast burritos, don’t forget the burritos.  Are you against eating meat or just gun ownership?  Do people at butcher shops “thirst for death and blood”?  Help me take people like you seriously, I really want to try...unless it involves having to snip my balls off first.  I don’t care to understand if it means being a nutless crybaby.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

30 Bills

I figured as much.

Thanks for the info! Wild pigs are not something I ever encounter at anytime where I live. Supposedly they're out there (escaped from barns?)... but they are not a nuisance as far as I know. None of my buddies who hunt regularly ever report sighting them.

I understand they can be fierce and have the potential to really hurt someone. I can see why an assault rifle might be useful against them. With that said, I'm still against the ownership of one despite this (trade offs).

* For the record... whether they were strong or not... I have offered very detailed arguments for restricting ownership before. I've got 1000s of posts and I don't care to dig them up or reinvent them. I've come to terms with the fact that the idea of restrictions is never going to happen in the US. This fact doesn't make owners shitty people. If you and I sat down and had beer together... I'm pretty sure we'd find things to laugh at and music we'd both simultaneously say, "What a great f**king tune!" My beliefs are mine. I like to express them. I like to defend them.

** I'm speaking from British Columbia if you don't remember. Wildlife is truly abundant here: coming back cross country skiing a few weeks back I saw a massive moose (it looked like it was trying to take down a tree). I've seen moose before, but this one was a barrel chested animal. It was huge! About 50 yards from it lurked a coyote watching it in action. A really neat scene.
    We’re cool man!  Sometimes I can get a little sarcastic and really don’t take these topics seriously, especially when idiots think that hunters “thirst for death and blood”, but I have no ill will towards anyone.  I’m sure we would get along just fine.  I have pretty strong opinions when it comes to gun ownership, but most people that have grown up in the ranching communities do.  They have always been a tool on the ranch, whether it be to clear predators from the heard or for hunting food.  They are far from being the most unsafe tool on a farm/ranch and many would say that it’s irresponsible not to have one while doing work on the ranch.  Just part of life around here.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    Wild boar, aka feral pigs, make for some good eatin'
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

30 Bills

I figured as much.

We’re cool man!  Sometimes I can get a little sarcastic and really don’t take these topics seriously, especially when idiots think that hunters “thirst for death and blood”, but I have no ill will towards anyone.  I’m sure we would get along just fine.  I have pretty strong opinions when it comes to gun ownership, but most people that have grown up in the ranching communities do.  They have always been a tool on the ranch, whether it be to clear predators from the heard or for hunting food.  They are far from being the most unsafe tool on a farm/ranch and many would say that it’s irresponsible not to have one while doing work on the ranch.  Just part of life around here.

I have always spoken to restrictions of handguns and a ban on assault rifles and large capacity magazines- never guns as a whole.

Ranchers would be people in the 'approved' category for sidearm ownership (in my model). Just like some people who work in the bush or remote areas. There is a definite need for such a 'tool'.
  • Options
    Wild boar, aka feral pigs, make for some good eatin'
    Yes they do!  And they are technically healthier due to the lower fat content.  We had some Chorizo made from the last one we butchered and it was to die for!
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    edited January 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    Smellyman said:

And sausage breakfast burritos, don’t forget the burritos.  Are you against eating meat or just gun ownership?  Do people at butcher shops “thirst for death and blood”?  Help me take people like you seriously, I really want to try...unless it involves having to snip my balls off first.  I don’t care to understand if it means being a nutless crybaby.
    Yes, I don't eat meat.

No you don't have to snip your balls.  You are all man! woot!

Let me take people like you seriously.  Is it the life you take you love or your balls. 

I mean the 'hobby' you love has only one purpose, to kill.  Do you love killing?

You are definitely not a nutless crybaby.  Might be the toughest MAN I know on the internet.
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Smellyman said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Smellyman said:

Yes, I don't eat meat.

No you don't have to snip your balls.  You are all man! woot!

Let me take people like you seriously.  Is it the life you take you love or your balls. 

I mean the 'hobby' you love has only one purpose, to kill.  Do you love killing?
    Wow, you don’t get hunting at all.  I do eat meat.  I can fill my freezer for a year by harvesting a couple deer and a hog and save a ton of money doing so.  The killing itself is just a technicality in the process of getting a deer from the land and into my belly.  My favorite part of actual hunting is the nature aspect of it.  You are forced to be quiet and disconnect from everything else in the world and focus on being quiet and making a perfect shot...almost meditative.  I eat what I kill unless it is a coyote or something that I have shot to keep the calves safe.  I can somewhat understand the anti-gun crowd, but anti-hunters get little respect from me.  I couldn’t give two shits if you are against me hunting and there is really no point in debating the topic in my opinion.  
    Also worth mentioning, Venison is on the same level as salmon nutrition wise (not that I don’t like a nice juicy ribeye steak on occasion) and frankly, I cannot stand the taste of tofu.  I would say that my methods of getting my meat is way less inhumane than the processes that puts meat on the store shelves, so there is that too.  
    Now go eat your tofu cheeseburger and get off my ass.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

30 Bills

I figured as much.

just another reason I'd love to live on the west coast. Best I get in Flatitoba is a fox here and there. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:

To each their own I suppose.  If you are complicit with the heroin/gang culture in those cities, then who am I to argue.
    Yes, Chicago is a terrible city.  Please stay away.  You also clearly have no idea what you're talking about. 
    So Chicago does not have a gang/murder/drug problem?  Probably not in your neighborhood, right?  I’ve visited Chicago and had fun, ate pizza, went to a Cubs game, had my hot dog with way too much shit on it...Don’t think I’ll move there any time soon.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Chicago
    “ The city's overall crime rate, especially the violent crime rate, is substantially higher than the US average. Chicago was responsible for nearly half of 2016's increase in homicides in the US, though national crime rates stayed near historic lows.”

Nice glass house you have there...shame if something happened to it You said you live in TX, right?

Texas is 32nd in firearm death rates per capita, and the 16th most violent state

Texas is 6th in incarceration rate
    ...has 3 of the least literate cities in America
    ...is one of the 10 worst states to be a kid
    ...was ranked 43rd in the nation on Education Quality
    ...ranks 41st in Health Care
    ....has the worst nursing homes in the nation
    ....has 3 of the 14 worst VA hospitals in the nation
    ....has a lower per capita and per household income than Illinois

Chicago has it's fair share of problem.  But Texas has Houston, Dallas, Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Fort Worth, Arlington, Laredo & Austin  - all of which have a higher crime rate than Chicago

This took me like 5 minutes.  All I had to do was type "Texas ranks worst in...."  and let google auto-fill do the rest.  

...Texas sounds like a real shithole...
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:

To each their own I suppose.  If you are complicit with the heroin/gang culture in those cities, then who am I to argue.
    Yes, Chicago is a terrible city.  Please stay away.  You also clearly have no idea what you're talking about. 
    So Chicago does not have a gang/murder/drug problem?  Probably not in your neighborhood, right?  I’ve visited Chicago and had fun, ate pizza, went to a Cubs game, had my hot dog with way too much shit on it...Don’t think I’ll move there any time soon.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Chicago
    “ The city's overall crime rate, especially the violent crime rate, is substantially higher than the US average. Chicago was responsible for nearly half of 2016's increase in homicides in the US, though national crime rates stayed near historic lows.”

Nice glass house you have there...shame if something happened to it You said you live in TX, right?

Texas is 32nd in firearm death rates per capita, and the 16th most violent state

Texas is 6th in incarceration rate
    ...has 3 of the least literate cities in America
    ...is one of the 10 worst states to be a kid
    ...was ranked 43rd in the nation on Education Quality
    ...ranks 41st in Health Care
    ....has the worst nursing homes in the nation
    ....has 3 of the 14 worst VA hospitals in the nation
    ....has a lower per capita and per household income than Illinois

Chicago has it's fair share of problem.  But Texas has Houston, Dallas, Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Fort Worth, Arlington, Laredo & Austin  - all of which have a higher crime rate than Chicago

This took me like 5 minutes.  All I had to do was type "Texas ranks worst in...."  and let google auto-fill do the rest.  

...Texas sounds like a real shithole...
    Lol, that’s why I don’t live in any of those shithole cities either :)
This discussion has been closed.