Bowe Bergdahl

12346»

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    edited July 2014
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2014/07/14/latest-destination-in-the-wild-ride-of-bowe-bergdahl-active-duty/

By Dan Lamothe July 14

Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl’s whirlwind year has included the following: captivity in Pakistan, an exchange for Taliban officials in Afghanistan that yielded his freedom, and a highly publicized and politicized debate about whether the Obama administration botched the handling of his case.

Now, it will include the following, too: a new active-duty unit.

Army officials confirmed the move on Monday morning, saying the sergeant has completed the final phase of his reintegration process and will be assigned to U.S. Army North and Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston.

“He will now return to regular duty within the command where he can contribute to the mission,” Tatjana Christian, a spokeswoman for the Army, said in an e-mail. “The Army investigation into the facts and circumstances surrounding the disappearance and capture of Bergdahl is still ongoing.”

The news was first reported late Sunday by the New York Times. Bergdahl will take a new job even though he could still face charges as a deserter — an investigation into how Bergdahl fell into the hands of insurgent forces in eastern Afghanistan in 2009 is still ongoing, and it’s likely that he will be among the last to be interviewed, CNN reported. That is a somewhat common practice in federal investigations as authorities work their way toward the main subject of an investigation.

An Army investigation conducted shortly after Bergdahl disappeared on June 30, 2009, is said to have determined that he chose to walk away from his unit’s patrol base in Paktika province. To charge him with desertion, however, the Army will need to determine his intent. In the meantime, his pending change in status has drawn reactions like these:
    JΞSTΞR ✪ ACTUAL™ @th3j35t3r
    Follow

BREAKING: Bergdahl has finished counseling in Texas, could return to active duty as early as today. Because everything's just peachy.
    6:14 AM - 14 Jul 2014
    DM @imemdoc
    Follow

Former POW Bergdahl set to return to active duty http://news.yahoo.com/former-pow-bergdahl-set-return-u-army-active-122821457.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory … via @YahooNews Thought he was a traitor/AWOL...ugh, politics.
    10:10 AM - 14 Jul 2014
    Karen Vaughn @ForOurSon
    Follow

Warriors in combat are getting pink slips...but Bergdahl is back on the job. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2691165/Sgt-Bowe-Bergdahl-return-duty-US-Army-MONDAY-one-month-counseling-following-controversial-release-five-years-captivity-Taliban.htmlhttp://ow.ly/i/6dR6h
    9:35 AM - 14 Jul 2014

By Dan Lamothe July 14

Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl’s whirlwind year has included the following: captivity in Pakistan, an exchange for Taliban officials in Afghanistan that yielded his freedom, and a highly publicized and politicized debate about whether the Obama administration botched the handling of his case.

Now, it will include the following, too: a new active-duty unit.

Army officials confirmed the move on Monday morning, saying the sergeant has completed the final phase of his reintegration process and will be assigned to U.S. Army North and Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston.

“He will now return to regular duty within the command where he can contribute to the mission,” Tatjana Christian, a spokeswoman for the Army, said in an e-mail. “The Army investigation into the facts and circumstances surrounding the disappearance and capture of Bergdahl is still ongoing.”

The news was first reported late Sunday by the New York Times. Bergdahl will take a new job even though he could still face charges as a deserter — an investigation into how Bergdahl fell into the hands of insurgent forces in eastern Afghanistan in 2009 is still ongoing, and it’s likely that he will be among the last to be interviewed, CNN reported. That is a somewhat common practice in federal investigations as authorities work their way toward the main subject of an investigation.

An Army investigation conducted shortly after Bergdahl disappeared on June 30, 2009, is said to have determined that he chose to walk away from his unit’s patrol base in Paktika province. To charge him with desertion, however, the Army will need to determine his intent. In the meantime, his pending change in status has drawn reactions like these:

That last tweet is from Karen Vaughn. Her son Aaron, a Navy SEAL, was among the U.S. personnel killed Aug. 6, 2011, when Taliban fighters shot down a helicopter carrying 38 men and a military working dog. All aboard were killed.

Bergdahl’s change in status comes after two new twists in the last week. In the first, the Taliban released what appeared to be a photo of the soldier with Badruddin Haqqani, a leader of the militant Haqqani network who was killed in a suspected U.S. airstrike in August 2012. Pentagon officials have dismissed that as “100 percent propaganda,” saying Bergdahl faced brutal conditions while in captivity for five years.

On Thursday, Sen. Carl Levin (D.-Mich.) also released letters from each of the Joint Chiefs that showed they supported the repatriation of Bergdahl, though the service chiefs each said they were not consulted before the decision was made.

“I was not consulted in any way, either in my role as Chief of Staff of the Army or as member of the Joint Chiefs, prior to the release SGT Bergdahl,” said Army Gen. Ray Odierno in his letter, dated July 9. “I firmly believe that the recovery of any American service member held as a captive, hostage or prisoner of war, regardless of the circumstances, is both a moral imperative and vital to keeping faith within our Army.”

“I am confident that the exigency of Sgt Bergdahl’s release was balanced against an assessment of the dangers posed by the release of the Taliban detainees,” said Marine Commandant Gen. James Amos in his letter. “That said, absent the context of the deliberations and discussions surrounding this decision, I am simply not in a position to provide an informed response.”
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited July 2014
    What's the difference between recovery and repatriation?

I don't get the two paragraphs before the last; they weren't consulted but provided support? Granted I don't know much about the process, but it strikes me as sort of like a doctor giving a diagnosis without having examined the patient.

Anyway, it seems, to me anyway, like an awfully short time for someone who was a POW for five years being put back on active duty.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    HOMELAND
    Brody! I'll admit my head did go there - goddamn I love that show - and need to figure out how I'll see next season since we cancelled our premium cable channels awhile back.

Just so much unknown or revealed at this point; certainly raises questions that I hope will be answered.

hedonist said:

What's the difference between recovery and repatriation?

I don't get the two paragraphs before the last; they weren't consulted but provided support? Granted I don't know much about the process, but it strikes me as sort of like a doctor giving a diagnosis without having examined the patient.

Anyway, it seems, to me anyway, like an awfully short time for someone who was a POW for five years being put back on active duty.

as to your first question, I think it s just choice of wording.

two , according to whats been reported, Sec Def, Sec State and others in the intelligence as well as the analysts were involved, that their input wasnt deemed to be needed? Perhaps because , we dont leave anyone behind if it can be helped?

I'd be hard pressed to believe any of the Chiefs would have objected.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Ah, OK...I'm all for his recovery too. I (mis?)interpreted what I read to mean they supported his returning to active duty without direct contact.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Can he play ping-pong?

hedonist said:

Ah, OK...I'm all for his recovery too. I (mis?)interpreted what I read to mean they supported his returning to active duty without direct contact.

Think of the Chiefs as presidents of each division of the business called The Military. They would rely on the judgement of those working in a subdivision of their particular branch.

As yet he hasnt been charged with anything and is still considered active duty personnel so its right to return him to duty until he is determined to need to be adjudicated for leaving his post. Investigation is ongoing.

This makes complete sense, mickey.

I guess what I just don't get is how - whether charges to be filed or not - it takes a mere six or so weeks to be ready (not militarily but emotionally, mentally, humanly) to return to duty. After five years in captivity?

Maybe I'm missing something, but this aspect seems so...swift.
    Was a daily thing.

Odd though has yet to see or speak to his parents.

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    hedonist said:

Brody! I'll admit my head did go there - goddamn I love that show - and need to figure out how I'll see next season since we cancelled our premium cable channels awhile back.

Just so much unknown or revealed at this point; certainly raises questions that I hope will be answered.

I use Apple TV for that reason. $30 for the season is cheaper than the channel.
  • Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    http://news.yahoo.com/bowe-bergdahl-charged-with-desertion--lawyer-says-182143787.html

Looks like the trade was not as good of an idea. I hope he rots.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

http://news.yahoo.com/bowe-bergdahl-charged-with-desertion--lawyer-says-182143787.html

Looks like the trade was not as good of an idea. I hope he rots.

You hope he rots?
    Are you a member of the Armed Forces?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I was
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I suppose you are entitled to that opinion, but I just can't wrap my head around that mentality.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    He left his post, his team. People died looking for this POS that left on his own free will. We should have left him with the Taliban. He should also be held accountable for the deaths of the personnel that died looking for him, but he will probably get a pass.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,294
    He faces life in prison. He can rot there! Personally I think that is way too good for him!
    Obama will give him a pass for those deaths. Actually he already has by doing that idiotic trade for him!! What a slap in the face to those families!!!!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
    Still the right thing to bring him back. Even better that he will stand for and to the charges. Kinda what he "fought " for ain't it?

You know Mickey you are right. Maybe my problem is with the bullshit pomp and circumstance that happened with the POTUS in the rose garden. It makes me wonder if they told Obama and he didn't listen or none had the balls to tell him. Fine bring him home, but to hail him as a hero, maybe there should have been more thought put into it. Yes there was nothing finalized, but even with a chance maybe you don't have mom and dad over to the White House.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    the guy was a prisoner of war for 5 years. pretty fucking heroic to me.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    But...just leaving then, with lives lost because of that action? Lives lost to try and save him?

Not so heroic.

I know many here aren't fans of McCain (not sure I am either), but he too was a POW and has been shit upon for actions separate from that.

Goose, meet gander.

hedonist said:

But...just leaving then, with lives lost because of that action? Lives lost to try and save him?

Not so heroic.

I know many here aren't fans of McCain (not sure I am either), but he too was a POW and has been shit upon for actions separate from that.

Goose, meet gander.

so you would rather him still be a pow?

i don't care if lives were lost. you don't leave a soldier behind. period.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

hedonist said:

Not so heroic.

Goose, meet gander.

so you would rather him still be a pow?

i don't care if lives were lost. you don't leave a soldier behind. period.
    Pretty sure I didn't say that I'd rather he be tortured.

C'mon man.

And really, you don't care about the people who died because of the actions he chose?

I'd say "I hope I'm missing something here" but feel some weird bizarro world door would be opened.

Sorry, I'm just not getting it.

Like I said we paid a high price for someone who left their post willfully. Should he have stayed? No. Should we have given up those 5 for him? No, that is my opinion? Should Mr. Obama have had the press conference with his parents in the rose garden? No way. Whoever the POTUSs advisers that either told him this was a good idea or did not tell him the back story need to resign. That goes to CJCS or the National Security Adviser.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
    Welp, looks like command decided a courts martial was in order. Bergdahl faces life in prison on the second charge.

http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/2015/12/14/sgt-bowe-bergdahl-face-court-martial-desertion-charge/77300686/

96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Glad he didn't get any more time. 5 years of Taliban torture was enough.

Bowe Bergdahl spared prison time for US Army desertion

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41860828?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Turns out tweets matter.

Trump has repeatedly called Bergdahl "a traitor" and criticised the Obama-era prisoner exchange with the Taliban that led to the American soldier's release.

The judge, Army Col Jeffery R Nance, considered the president's attacks as a mitigating factor in sentencing Bergdahl, whose lawyers argued he could not receive a fair trial because of the comments.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    dignin said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41860828?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Turns out tweets matter.

Trump has repeatedly called Bergdahl "a traitor" and criticised the Obama-era prisoner exchange with the Taliban that led to the American soldier's release.

The judge, Army Col Jeffery R Nance, considered the president's attacks as a mitigating factor in sentencing Bergdahl, whose lawyers argued he could not receive a fair trial because of the comments.

I enjoy seeing all these instances of Trump's tweets working against him in the legal arena. Let's hope there are many more instances of this, as he faces his own legal troubles 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    dignin said:

Turns out tweets matter.

trump just can't help himself. he gets in his own way. serves him right for trying to influence the sentence from his phone. 

hope this happens in other cases that tremp has felt the need to comment on so brazenly.