Options

Bowe Bergdahl

Comments

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited June 2014
    Obama negotiates with terrorists to free a deserter but refuses to negotiate with the other political party to reduce debt and spending.

And no this isn't a ringing endorsement for the GOP, I have little use for any politician anymore, they are all crooks.

The next time he claims that the GOP is holding the country hostage we now know he will be more than willing to give a lot up to gain little.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    edited June 2014
    has the military tried him for desertion OR UA (unauthorizd absence) or being AWOL? No? then hes a POW. Correct me if I am wrong, but we are/were at war, a duly congressionally authorized war , were we not?
    Also the Tailban are defending themselves in their own country from an invading/occupying force. Not sure how that qualifies that group as being classified as terrorist. An analogy to Israel and the Palestinians could rightly be made here.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,884
    unsung said:

Obama negotiates with terrorists to free a deserter but refuses to negotiate with the other political party to reduce debt and spending.

And no this isn't a ringing endorsement for the GOP, I have little use for any politician anymore, they are all crooks.

The next time he claims that the GOP is holding the country hostage we now know he will be more than willing to give a lot up to gain little.

It kinda sounds like a ringing endorsement for the GOP.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    mickeyrat said:

has the military tried him for desertion OR UA (unauthorizd absence) or being AWOL? No? then hes a POW.

Also the Tailban are defending themselves in their own country from an invading/occupying force. Not sure how that qualifies that group as being classified as terrorist. An analogy to Israel and the Palestinians could rightly be made here.

The Taliban are not in their "own country". They are a Pakistani Islamic group that invaded Afghanistan in 1996 and ruled until 2001.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    unsung said:

They should have left him to rot.

so he was tried by the proper military court? Convicted? shouldnt we be following the letter of the law. ESPECIALLY OUR GOVERNMENT?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Not sure yet how I feel about this guy. When John Kerry was "swift boated" it was obvious what was happening. This doesn't have that same feel. It does seem like they gave up a lot to get back one guy who at best seems to be responsible for his own capture and who at worst seems to be a deserter. At the same time I don't want to see anyone who serves left behind. Conflicted feelings here.

• Options
    It is strange to see how this guy is being drug through the political mud.

How many of us were disillusioned with life when we were 20 years old? When life consisted of raman noodles and a futon, less yet being dropped into a war?

Drop the leash, we are young. Drop the leash, we are young. Get outta' my fuckin' face...
    Drop the leash, drop the leash...
    Get outta' my, my...

Delight, delight, delight in our youth...
    Get outta' my fuckin' face...

The dude was a POW for five fucking years in Pakistan while we were watching Breaking Bad on Netflix.

Don’t throw stones in a glass house.
  • Options

... *unless it is politically inconvenient* ...

Ironic that most of the people that fly this banner are displeased with the release of Bowe.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited June 2014
    Jason. It's sad but anything touching Obama will be criticized.

Now he does wrong. No doubt.

As to dude he's obviously mentally challenged by walking to enemy. Caused by PTSD? Think we should see what's up.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    JimmyV said:

Not sure yet how I feel about this guy. When John Kerry was "swift boated" it was obvious what was happening. This doesn't have that same feel. It does seem like they gave up a lot to get back one guy who at best seems to be responsible for his own capture and who at worst seems to be a deserter. At the same time I don't want to see anyone who serves left behind. Conflicted feelings here.

I am not sure how I feel about this story either. I mean it is good that a captured soldier is coming home, but making deals like this seems like it might be a bad idea. And how did they decide that a 5 for 1 trade was fair. And what happens when the guys who capture the next soldier ask for someone of high value back in exchange. I mean the US is still holding Khalid Sheikh Mohammed right?
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152

If Obama hadn't agreed to the swap the GOP would be bitching about "Obama doesn't support our troops!! HE LEAVES MEN BEHIND!!!!"

Let's say he's a deserter....maybe we got the guy back to prosecute him.

Most of what I've heard from the GOP so far is laughable....remember Iran/Contra?? The GOP...negotiating with terrorists is only ok when they are in the white house.

yep, if he left him there to rot the gop would have said he leaves "heroes" behind.

just last month mccain was saying "bring him home at all costs," and now they got him home and he is now offended.

it must be nice to be a republican in congress. you don't have to draft legislation, only allow votes on things you will win, and you smear the president for every single fucking thing he does.

i can't wait for the gop to take over, because then they would see what it is like to actually have to lead and govern.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    the soldier in question would have never even been to afghanistan had we actually finished the job there in 2006 and not detoured into iraq, but that is an entirely different discussion.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    Let's get to the real issue. Who cares who the president is.

A) is it okay to bypass congress and make a deal with a terrorist organization?

B) is it okay to make that deal in order to get a supposed deserter back in trade for more than one name that the opposition wants back?

C). Was this the correct move?

D) do you think we've opened the door to no longer considering the prisoners in Guantanamo Bay as terrorist and now as prisoners of war and it's okay to exchange them for our own POWs?

E) should we get rid of labeling groups as terrorist and consider them as a real military?

Put aside your political affiliations aside. Stop defending everything Obama does. Go back and answer the questions if it was Bush as president. Hypocracy, even though most won't admit it, you'll know it on the inside.
  • Options
    Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 682
    Interested to see what the people supporting Berghdal's release for the terrorists (without any consultation or notification to Congress) think about his father:

his tweet:

Three days before Bowe's rescue, Bob tweeted:

"I am still working to free all Guantanamo prisoners. God will repay for the death of every Afghan child, ameen."

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I just read that he left a note before walking off base that he renounced his US Citizenship.

Can anyone verify?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    I think I have settled on that if you wear the uniform, you get brought home. If you need to be tried for whatever it may be that you have done, then that should be done, but you should at all costs be brought home. That is the least of what we can promise people who volunteer to fight for the country.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

I think I have settled on that if you wear the uniform, you get brought home. If you need to be tried for whatever it may be that you have done, then that should be done, but you should at all costs be brought home. That is the least of what we can promise people who volunteer to fight for the country.

Agree Cliff. And surely people can give one slack after being in combat. PTSD.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    unsung said:
    That is fine. And he should be charged if it is determined that he deserted. But our country sent him over there and our country has to bring him home.
  • Options

Let's get to the real issue. Who cares who the president is.

A) is it okay to bypass congress and make a deal with a terrorist organization?

B) is it okay to make that deal in order to get a supposed deserter back in trade for more than one name that the opposition wants back?

C). Was this the correct move?

D) do you think we've opened the door to no longer considering the prisoners in Guantanamo Bay as terrorist and now as prisoners of war and it's okay to exchange them for our own POWs?

E) should we get rid of labeling groups as terrorist and consider them as a real military?

Put aside your political affiliations aside. Stop defending everything Obama does. Go back and answer the questions if it was Bush as president. Hypocracy, even though most won't admit it, you'll know it on the inside.

A FORMER BUSH ADVISOR TODAY JUST SAID GWB WOULD HAVE MADE THE EXACT SAME DEAL.

this is politics at it's worst.

it is a fucking joke.

all of this outrage is a joke.

has there been anything since 2008 that has not outraged republicans??

• Options

unsung said:
    That is fine. And he should be charged if it is determined that he deserted. But our country sent him over there and our country has to bring him home.
    totally agree.

you send him there, you bring him back.

then you can try him or so whatever you need to do. do not leave any soldier in the hands of the enemy. ever.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited June 2014
    Is it OK if I have just a bit of concern and desire for more information on this - simply as a human being, vs party-branding?

Even my state's democratic senator is questioning this. Pretty fucking sad if this comes down to affiliation, whether by politicians or by us, the people.

(and I'm not even a Republican)
  • Options
    the penalty for desertion, at times has been death.

i hope they seek the death penalty. maybe then we will have to reconsider it's use in all cases.

• Options
    hedonist said:

Is it OK if I have just a bit of concern and desire for more information on this - simply as a human being, vs party-branding?

Even my state's democratic senator is questioning this. Pretty fucking sad if this comes down to affiliation, whether by politicians or by us, the people.

(and I'm not even a Republican)

don't you get it?

the gop has nothing on benghazi. they want obama impeached so bad they can taste it. this is their next fixation.

mccain sald just last month "bring him home at all costs".

well he is home, and now mccain is waffling.

this is just another political theater.

this is the same shit that happened to carter, only this time the democrat got the hostage home, and that is just simply galling for the gop.

• Options
    Impeachment? Get serious. That changes nothing.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    The opinions that I think matter in this case are the opinions of those that served in the military with Berghdal and had to search for him, and those that had to search for the five Taliban that were traded. People likely died during both of these missions.

Still a lot to learn, but it seems premeditated that Berghdal left the base based on some of the comments from his unit. I can't imagine to put myself in his shoes, but there had to have been a better way to leave the military than to walk off knowing that your fellow military will now have to risk their lives trying to find you, or worse getting caught like he did and putting your family through a lot of pain.

• Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,326
    edited June 2014
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/hero-died-looking-bergdahl-094500871--politics.html
    This should bring you to tears and make you angry at the same time. If it doesn't your not human.
    Post edited by primussucks on
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    Here is an alternate assessment by the NYTimes. The source is the military logs released by Manning. At the end of the day, this cannot be tried in the press, it has to go to a JAG. We do ourselves and our service members a disservice by making our assessments based on one report to the next, as if journalism is unimpeachable by nature.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/04/world/middleeast/can-gi-be-tied-to-6-lost-lives-facts-are-murky.html?_r=0
  • Options
    Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 682

it is a fucking joke.

was there anything from 2000-2008 that did not outrage the democrats? has there been anything done by Obama since 2008 that the Dems haven't said "Well Bush..." works both ways

• Options
    Staceb10 said:

it is a fucking joke.

was there anything from 2000-2008 that did not outrage the democrats? has there been anything done by Obama since 2008 that the Dems haven't said "Well Bush..." works both ways

The entire country rallied behind Bush after 9/11. Congress supported his nonsensical invasion of Iraq. Claiming Democrats never supported Bush is untrue. Obama has seen nothing like that kind of support. All outrage, all the time.