Options

David Letterman is Back

Comments

• Options
    nooramnooram Posts: 389
    I am hoping that PJ returns and plays Black. I believe that was Eddie's first appearance doing a little bit of that song then departing the stage.
    Seattle 8/91, MPLS 3/92, St Paul 8/92, Denver 6/95, Missoula 6/98, MPLS 6/98, Albuquerque 10/00, Seattle 12/02, St Paul 6/03, Thunder Bay 9/05, DC 5/06, St Paul x2 6/06, Vancouver (EV) 4/08, DC 6/08, Chicago x2 8/09, KC 5/10, MPLS (EV) 7/11, Chicago 7/13, St Paul 10/14, Santiago 11/15, Missoula 8/18, Denver 9/22, Saint Paul 8/23, Saint Paul 9/23
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,406
    Steve Martin
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    hedonist said:

So pretty! Thank you for this, Hobbes.

I always thought Zevon carried himself as a gentle man and a class act.

Did you ever catch his appearance on the Larry Sanders show? Good stuff.

Yes! Love it. That show is genius. (Fuckin' Rip Torn :lol: )

Dave sharing about Warren's last show...

"After the show, it was heartbreaking — he was in his dressing room. We were talking and this and that. Here's a guy who had months to live and we're making small talk. And as we're talking, he's taking his guitar strap and hooking it, wrapping it around, then he puts the guitar into the case and he flips the snaps on the case and says, 'Here, I want you to have this, take good care of it.' And I just started sobbing. He was giving me the guitar that he always used on the show. I felt like, 'I can't be in this movie, I didn't get my lines.' That was very tough."
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327

is colbert going to be in the ed sullivan theater also?

I believe that he is going to be there and that is the reason for him starting in September.

here is hoping for another Alan Kalter bit before the shows goes off the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz56ygaxeqg

• Options
    edited May 2015
    They didn't say what they will air in the timeslot between June and September. I guess reruns
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

They didn't say what they will air in the timeslot between June and September. I guess reruns

I think it will be re-runs. its just weird that its going to take 4 months to get the place ready.

President Obama will be on tonight and I am looking forward to seeing the special tonight which apparently will have NBC highlights also
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited May 2015
    They are showing a Montage of all of the great musical acts on Dave's show over the years and they played a clip of Eds singing black by himself back in the day and him screaming EDDDDIIIEEEE!!!!
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    I don't know how I'm going to feel about no more Dave. I've taken him for granted especially over the past 5 years or so. He's definitely been my favorite late night guy since, well forever. The more I think about it, the sadder I get. Probably because it makes me feel OLD. I'm just turned 37 and all I've ever really watched was Dave and SNL late at night.

Dave this year and stern next year I think. The mornings and nights will definitely be less funny.
  • Options
    Really liked the special. it was good review of the past. for a person like Dave, i don't think clips do him justice. the great part of Dave was the "anything can happen" feel to his show.

anyway, no much longer to go but i can't wait to see how he ends it. I think it will be so much different than Carson last show.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,202
    used to watch a ton of Dave back in the mid to late 80s. he was so different than the rest of the talk shows at the time. I remember when he did velcro man and had a suit of velcro and jumped against a wall and stuck. Always loved the shows when he had Stupid Human and Stupid Pet Tricks. Almost never see his shows now but was cool to watch the retrospective last night. He is a legend and will be missed when it's over.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,293

I don't know how I'm going to feel about no more Dave. I've taken him for granted especially over the past 5 years or so. He's definitely been my favorite late night guy since, well forever. The more I think about it, the sadder I get. Probably because it makes me feel OLD. I'm just turned 37 and all I've ever really watched was Dave and SNL late at night.

we are the same age and on the same page with this, man. i was thinking last night about when i first got into his show and i think it was around '91 or '92 when carson was on his way out. i wanted to stay up later to find out what all the fuss was about it. that late night show was so fresh, real, and spontaneous. i was hooked immediately. then the buildup to the cbs show (also 3 or 4 month summer wait) and i've been loving the late show ever since. yeah, i certainly have taken him for granted over the last 5-10 years, really. his political stuff irritated me, too--think that's one of the reasons i didn't watch as regularly as before. and nowadays i barely stay up late enough anyway.

but yeah it will not be the same. i like fallon but i have a feeling his schtick is going to wear off sooner than later. i hate he loves everybody. one of the best things about dave is you could tell if he was annoyed or uninterested or was making fun of his guests right to their face, without some of them even realizing it.

---and yeah, i was really hoping to see the eddie bit last night so happy they put it in there. EDDDDDIIIEEEEEEE! HE'S GONE!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    was hoping for a whole band clip and not just Eddie
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    was hoping for a whole band clip and not just Eddie
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    its funny to hear people talking about not watching dave for the past 5 years. I actually found him more funnier when he gave up trying to beat Leno and the Tonight Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0akXKxbflM

here is another great clip from the old days
  • Options
    I mentioned the past 5 years because I stopped watching him regularly.
  • Options

we are the same age and on the same page with this, man. i was thinking last night about when i first got into his show and i think it was around '91 or '92 when carson was on his way out. i wanted to stay up later to find out what all the fuss was about it. that late night show was so fresh, real, and spontaneous. i was hooked immediately. then the buildup to the cbs show (also 3 or 4 month summer wait) and i've been loving the late show ever since. yeah, i certainly have taken him for granted over the last 5-10 years, really. his political stuff irritated me, too--think that's one of the reasons i didn't watch as regularly as before. and nowadays i barely stay up late enough anyway.

but yeah it will not be the same. i like fallon but i have a feeling his schtick is going to wear off sooner than later. i hate he loves everybody. one of the best things about dave is you could tell if he was annoyed or uninterested or was making fun of his guests right to their face, without some of them even realizing it.

---and yeah, i was really hoping to see the eddie bit last night so happy they put it in there. EDDDDDIIIEEEEEEE! HE'S GONE!
    I agree 100%. The first one that comes to mind was Paris Hilton and even Justin Bieber. It will be sad. Especially losing stern shortly after. Those two has made 2 generations laugh for a long time. Love them or hate them, they were the best. Dave was never a robot like Jay Leno. He could laugh at himself. Stern always got the best out of Dave when he would appear as a guest.

It actually annoyed me that Letterman appeared in that super bowl commercial with Leno. I know he was moving on, but fuck Leno. He couldn't wipe Lettermans ass. I can't wait to watch the rest of the week. But it will surely be bittersweet.
  • Options

I agree 100%. The first one that comes to mind was Paris Hilton and even Justin Bieber. It will be sad. Especially losing stern shortly after. Those two has made 2 generations laugh for a long time. Love them or hate them, they were the best. Dave was never a robot like Jay Leno. He could laugh at himself. Stern always got the best out of Dave when he would appear as a guest.

It actually annoyed me that Letterman appeared in that super bowl commercial with Leno. I know he was moving on, but fuck Leno. He couldn't wipe Lettermans ass. I can't wait to watch the rest of the week. But it will surely be bittersweet.
    lets also not forget the show where John McCain ditch Letterman to go to CBS news. might be the greatest show i have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR5FGkpfsbM

you would never seen this on any other show like the Tonight Show.
  • Options
  • Options
    just love having Martin Short on Letterman. just greatness!
  • Options
    Jimmy Kimmel honoring David Letterman is about loyalty http://nydn.us/1ET0jAO
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Tina fey just stripped down for dave. It was no drew barrymore, but it was funny?
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

Jimmy Kimmel honoring David Letterman is about loyalty http://nydn.us/1ET0jAO

just like letterman was heir apparent for carson, Kimmel is to Letterman.
  • Options
    http://wlns.com/2015/05/10/guests-for-david-lettermans-final-full-week-announced/

looks like a great week other than sandler on Tuesday. why him?
  • Options
    fife said:

http://wlns.com/2015/05/10/guests-for-david-lettermans-final-full-week-announced/

stern and rickles are on tonight or next monday? the article says "next monday" but is talking about his last full week, which is this week....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747

fife said:

stern and rickles are on tonight or next monday? the article says "next monday" but is talking about his last full week, which is this week....
    Stern is on tonight. Looking forward to that...
  • Options
    Question?

do you think Jon Stewart will be on the show. I know Dave really loves him and once signed him to Worldwide pants.

also, is it me or does anyone else wish that dave's last shows were 90 minutes. yesterday was so much fun and i wish it didn't end. would have liked to see Don rickles on TV more.
  • Options
    I really didn't like sterns appearance last night. He was obnoxious. He didn't let Dave talk at all. His best appearances were the one where there was a good back and forth between the two. Then he hijacked don rickles apperance. He shouldn't have been out there. Whatever.

Did anyone e catch Brian Regans performance? It was pretty good.
  • Options

I really didn't like sterns appearance last night. He was obnoxious. He didn't let Dave talk at all. His best appearances were the one where there was a good back and forth between the two. Then he hijacked don rickles apperance. He shouldn't have been out there. Whatever.

I agree but i did find it still funny. Brian Regan is very funny. tonight is Bill Clinton and Adam Sandler. i kind of wish it was just clinton. would be funny if Hillary showed up too as i think she and dave have great chemistry
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747

I agree. I love Howard and listen to his show religiously, but he was really obnoxious. He has done that the last few times he was on the show. Oh well. Rickles is still hilarious.