SEVENS vinyls: thinner than ever...

picolapicola Posts: 40
edited January 2014 in The Porch
Hi,

Sevens boxset was in my mailbox today.

What a surprise to discover another cheap set of records ...

Since 2011, all Xmas singles are very thin, thinner than any previous Xmas (even those from 1991...). I was upset by that but I haven't complained about that, because they were xmas gifts ( membership's gifts that we pay each year lol, ...)

This time, it's a different story, for a boxset that cost 55$ , with a presale 3 months before any shipping, PJ clearly makes fun of us.

Thank you guys.
Post edited by picola on

Comments

• MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2014
    Sell it. Make a nice $300+ profit off your initial $55 investment. And then go listen to the exact same songs on a nice thick 180G album.

or Keep it and enjoy the artwork and listen to some of the tracks in 45 rpm.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    MedozK said:

Sell it. Make a nice $300+ profit off your initial $55 investment. And then go listen to the exact same songs on a nice thick 180G album.

or Keep it and enjoy the artwork and listen to some of the tracks in 45 rpm.

For the price sevens is going for you could even make it 180 gram Red vinyl!

PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,831
    You paid $55 for music you could already hear in multiple formats. There are a lot of people laughing about that.
  • picolapicola Posts: 40
    @Medozk : i don't care about my 55$, but i have to talk about the value that they put on it..
    @bootlegger10 : i collect PJ vinyls since the beginning. It has nothing to do with the multiple formats available. I think that you can understand that.
  • mrk2mrk2 Posts: 2,066

You paid $55 for music you could already hear in multiple formats. There are a lot of people laughing about that.

Laughing or jealous?

225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • You paid $55 for music you could already hear in multiple formats. There are a lot of people laughing about that.

While I get your point, one could also just download it, and never pay for it. Collector's aren't ALL about just hearing stuff, eh?
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    edited January 2014
    Weight is overhyped honestly and is really a marketing ploy to new members of the community.. Some of my best records are 140g and they blow away the so called 180g audiophile versions of the same album. Why? Because of stuff like mastering and pressing and plates and etc etc.

180 g does have its true advantages but most albums being pressed these days arent going to bring them out. To its credit Sevens sounds a little better than my replacement LB.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
    edited January 2014
    @cp3iverson : true, but a very thin vinyl record will be destroyed by your phono cartridge only after a few spins ... and these records are way thinner than 140g ...
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    You can do @ people? I didn't know that!
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
    Well, I don't know if it works ! But I don't want to quote everything, everytime
  • Whats the difference between the old singles and sevens??how many grams we are talking about?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    mrk2 said:

Laughing or jealous?

Laughing from this guy, for sure

I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    How many kilos are we talking about here folks? Just .....how.....many?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    OK great ...

but i don't want to hear people singing STBCircle or people saying that vinyls are super cool, etc. if you don't care about the vinyl itself.

• Always ends in argueing. bottom line .......Vinyl rocks, if you dont like it ...cool..... if you like to save $55 also Cool. But perhaps in the future keep it to yourself.... That would be especially cool
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,236
    OP, I'm seeking an opened one. Please PM me if you don't want to keep yours!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,277
    mine is still sealed
    danny d
    mrk2 said:

Laughing or jealous?

I own a copy. I'm saying that we deserve to be made fun of for paying for something we already have access.
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Posts: 1,596
    I certainly don't promote or partake in flipping of PJ vinyl. But i do kind of regret not buying this when i had the option to do just that and make an easy 200$...
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
    picola said:

@bootlegger10 : i collect PJ vinyls since the beginning. It has nothing to do with the multiple formats available. I think that you can understand that.

I understand the collecting. The point being that it shouldn't matter whether thick or thin vinyl since it is just a collectors items and valuable due to rarity and not condition. At least that is my opinion. I don't understand people buying this to listen to when they have a much more convenient 180g vinyl with all of the songs on one record.
    edited January 2014

I don't understand people buying this to listen to when they have a much more convenient 180g vinyl with all of the songs on one record.

I understand.

but : because of that, 10C is allowed to provide really poor copies ?? or should they anyway make a great object, mainly if it's collectors ??

We all have just to compare our Benaroya LP and this Sevens boxset.

same price, but one was really a true great gift to collectors and the other one is a poor record....

They write the same price on it. That says a lot.
  • picola said:

same price, but one was really a true great gift to collectors and the other one is a poor record....

sevens was more than benaroya hall
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,870

picola said:

sevens was more than benaroya hall
    Not if you take inflation into account.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2014
    picola said:

one was really a true great gift to collectors and the other one is a poor record....

Are you saying the Sevens set is "poor", because It will degrade slightly quicker than a thicker vinyl? Are there more negatives associated to a thinner vinyl?
    I don't even care. I will always buy every piece of vinyl that Pearl Jam puts out, and be 100% glad that I did. :D I am a collector of Pearl Jam vinyl. Of course I'm happy I have Sevens.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,234
    picola said:

pressing 7 records versus 4 is more expensive. demand for vinyl ten years ago also wasn't what it is today. demand = +$$$$. pressing plants charge more than they did ten years ago. that cost is passed on to us.

taking that into account, and considering how many were pressed and what 10c could have actually sold them for given the aftermarket prices we're seeing, i'll say it was a bargain we were able to buy sevens for "only" $55. if receiving thinner than normal records was a consequence of that, so be it.
  • jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    Thin! So thin that four of them are transparent..
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

Just wondering why anyone cares if they are thin. I haven't seen anyone say they sound bad, so who gives a shit?