SEVENS vinyls: thinner than ever...

124»

Comments

• AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,234
    picola said:

I know what i'm talking about, and I just wanted to point out something ...

me, too:
    picola said:

right, but some of your (or mine) vinyls which are new, are already bend, even if we took care of them, just take a look at them when they spin ...

What I find incredible, is that there's many folks here who know a lot about vinyls (I just have to read this thread here to notice that) but nobody have ever experienced or ever read about grooves destructions on poor vinyl records after a few spins ...

the plural of vinyl is vinyl.
  • picolapicola Posts: 40
    edited January 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

That is a pretty snotty comment.

That's right, but have you read the comments from other members here ??? have you read it ? not a single mention of that ...

i should quote here every rude comment, posted without reading anything, posted without knowing anything.

Post edited by picola on
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    You must be new here. What comments are rude?

And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,236
    Its a good call I think you're trying to make here - that checking tracking force, keeping records clean with proper cleaning kit help maintain the life of our beloved records/vinyls/vinyl/wax/disco biscuits (wait, that's something else!)
    www.cluthelee.com
  • TinAntTinAnt Posts: 343
    picola said:

it was just a post to say that records are this time way to thin for us to keep them in great condition over the years...

people start to speak about weight, 180g records, other formats available etc.

I know what i'm talking about, and I just wanted to point out something ... but if everyone is OK with the fact that over the years products are less and less wellproducted, OK "i'm super cool, i love vinyl and i'm even cooooleeerrr if I say that i don't give a f... about the quality" ...hum hum...

But what your saying is wrong. A record will not wear out just because the disk is thin. The grooves will wear exactly the same as a "heavier" press.

edited January 2014
    AndySlash said:

picola said:

I know what i'm talking about, and I just wanted to point out something ...

me, too:

the plural of vinyl is vinyl.
    I'm not english nor american, excuse me not to spell everything like it should be.

When a guy write something like this, i really want to ask him if he can speak spanish, and french , and german, etc...

edit : come on Andy, so nothing to add about that ?? I quitted school at 28, but it wasn't exactly because i needed time to understand things ...

Post edited by picola on
    edited January 2014

You must be new here. What comments are rude?

again, read carefully

and i'm not exactly new LOL
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,236
    C'mon guys - relax and discuss.
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited January 2014
    @2-feign-reluctance : Hello, I think that after 4 pages trying to respond to everyone, trying to stay polite, even with guys believing that i'm a vinyl newbie, even with a guy who told me how to speak english (which is not my language) , even with guys who just like to make fun at me, I have now the right to give up.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,870
    edited January 2014
    You totally do..... although the only thing I've really seen happen here is people not agreeing with your viewpoint, and there is nothing wrong with that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    so you have a very different point of view than mine.

i have got no problem with people who disagree with me.

it's more difficult with people who don't read the thread carefully and disagree to things I've never said and with people who only stop by to make fun at someone for free.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,234
    edited January 2014
    picola said:

edit : come on Andy, so nothing to add about that ?? I quitted school at 28, but it wasn't exactly because i needed time to understand things ...

i added my thoughts much earlier in the thread. frankly, i think you are nitpicking and, as others have said, the issue of thin vinyl being a cause of groove destruction isn't one that i'm familiar with. misaligned stylus? yes. heavy tracking? yes. thin records? no. and i like to think that i know some things about spinning vinyl. since you know more than we do, perhaps you could share with us where we can find information suggesting thin records are a cause of groove destruction. mind you, i'm not talking about thin records being more susceptible to warping or damages if they are not properly cared for- if you can't take care of your records, thin or thick, they're going to have issues, and that's on the buyer, not the seller. on that note, i will point you to this website: http://www.recordpressing.com/2010/03/top-ten-vinyl-record-myths-2/
    MYTH # 1
    You can cut deeper grooves in a 180 gram record than in a thinner record

False.
    A record press can only produce grooves that are as deep as the cuts in the lacquer master. This depth is far shallower than any record thickness. Consequently, the thickness or thinness of the record has no impact on the depth of the grooves. Considering this, there has yet to be a record made where the two sides of the grooves meet in the middle meaning a thicker record is not necessarily advantageous. However, some artists, producers and consumers prefer the benefits of a thicker record which include reduced warp, less breakage, longer lasting quality, and that the weight of the records make them nicer to hold.

also, whether or not it is your english, your attitude in this thread has been confrontational and accusatory at times, and so the responses you are getting are similar. don't play the victim when people respond with sass when you do the same.
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    edited January 2014
    I see someone beat me to it about Myth #1.
    As I said earlier - a thick vinyl is always a bit steadier on the turntable and a bit more rebust. I doubt if anyone has really bought this to play the hell out of it anyway. Its a collectors piece.
    Post edited by FR181798 on
    edited January 2014
    Andy said:

MYTH # 1
    You can cut deeper grooves in a 180 gram record than in a thinner record

False.

I have never said something like this ...(again...)
    Andy said:

also, whether or not it is your english, your attitude in this thread has been confrontational and accusatory at times, and so the responses you are getting are similar. don't play the victim when people respond with sass when you do the same.

Listen, read the first page, and what happens first.

Post edited by picola on
    edited January 2014

mrk2 said:

You paid $55 for music you could already hear in multiple formats. There are a lot of people laughing about that.

Laughing or jealous?

Laughing from this guy, for sure

Page 1 ... and i was so polite before that (and even after that) , and anyway, I hadn't the time to be rude, this guy for example was to fast for me ...

Post edited by picola on
  • picola said:

To the average person, 140 gram is not inferior to 180 gram vinyl. Google it.

True, this is not my point here
    What exactly is your point? I just weighed my 93 fan club single and it weighs less than the most recent one. Every PJ single released by epic is very thin. Are you trying to say in a roundabout way that PJ is ripping us off by pressing 140 gram instead of 180 gram? I don't see it that way at all. Maybe pressing heavier would have upped the shipping charges?

off topic but does anyone else remember the flexi discs that were in Mad Magazine? those were the bomb...

Incredible :

"what is your point , I just weighed..."

please ... : I NEVER TALKED ABOUT WEIGHT

off topic but does anyone else remember the flexi discs that were in Mad Magazine? those were the bomb...

yes, I heard about them !!

edited January 2014
    So, I have to quote myself (!!) because it seems that people don't read :
    picola said:

For a small 7", I don't think so, for a 12" for sure

On a 7" vinyl, weights are quite the same (see the post from our friend who weights them all), and the weight is concentrate mainly on the center parts, not a vinyl part .. the % of vinyl is very small on a 7" if you compare it to the total weight
    (here excuse my english, difficult to explain, but you see what I'm saying)

so :

Are you trying to say in a roundabout way that PJ is ripping us off by pressing 140 gram instead of 180 gram? I don't see it that way at all. Maybe pressing heavier would have upped the shipping charges?

Post edited by picola on
  • you said they were thinner today. I can't find my magnifying glass and special ruler that measures 1/10 millimeters so I weighed them. :p

you said they were thinner today. I can't find my magnifying glass and special ruler that measures 1/10 millimeters so I weighed them. :p

LOL !

funny

I understand

But, that's right, I only say that they are thinner than ever. that's all. And that's a shame.

• jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775

you said they were thinner today. I can't find my magnifying glass and special ruler that measures 1/10 millimeters so I weighed them. :p

Due to most vinyl being made from the same material, wouldn't the thinness/thickness directly correlate to the weight?

jamburger said:

Due to most vinyl being made from the same material, wouldn't the thinness/thickness directly correlate to the weight?

for a 12" record, yes, i think so

but, for a 7", most of the weight is from the center parts
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    picola said:

jamburger said:

for a 12" record, yes, i think so

but, for a 7", most of the weight is from the center parts
    But if the center part was heavier, and therefore thicker, the record would not lay flat on the turntable. Is that the case?

I don't say that. the center part is always the same. I say that you can't compare weights for 7" vinyl because most of the weight is concentrate on the center part and not on the vinyl part which is too small to weight a lot (whereas it's a big part of the total weight on a 12")
    OK

I give up, have a great weekend