SEVENS vinyls: thinner than ever...

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    This is honestly the same thickness as most of the 7" in my collection. It doesnt stand out to me as a flaw
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,234

This is honestly the same thickness as most of the 7" in my collection. It doesnt stand out to me as a flaw

same here. it's not something i noticed until it was pointed out.
  • scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,460
    When 10C puts out an item that is clearly for collectors/fan whether they play it or not, (I mean it's the same music repackaged) and only charge $55 I have a hard time finding anything to complain about. Some of you guys appear to putting your kids through school with PJ releases so don't bite the hand that feeds.

It could be like other bands of the same era who issue a record on RSD, make it limited, charge $40 for it and all it is is two records in two paper sleeves in a piece of cardboard with a picture on it.

I will take the packaging, the colored vinyl etc... of Sevens for $55 any day.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • picolapicola Posts: 40
    PJ_Soul said:

Just wondering why anyone cares if they are thin. I haven't seen anyone say they sound bad, so who gives a shit?

If you don't play them on a turntable, you don't give a shit, ok...
    If records are made to be played, well, take a look at them after a few spin...

If you have time to, and if you want to consider this, take a look at your Xmas from 91 to 2010...you'll see what I mean.
    Take a look at other 7" from PJ , even the colored ones (ex: red Last Kiss vinyl) and you'll see.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,870
    picola said:

PJ_Soul said:

Just wondering why anyone cares if they are thin. I haven't seen anyone say they sound bad, so who gives a shit?

You think they are so thin that they'll wear out after a few spins?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    scurtis said:

When 10C puts out an item that is clearly for collectors/fan whether they play it or not, (I mean it's the same music repackaged) and only charge $55 I have a hard time finding anything to complain about. Some of you guys appear to putting your kids through school with PJ releases so don't bite the hand that feeds.

It could be like other bands of the same era who issue a record on RSD, make it limited, charge $40 for it and all it is is two records in two paper sleeves in a piece of cardboard with a picture on it.

I will take the packaging, the colored vinyl etc... of Sevens for $55 any day.

I understand.

But can you remind me the price of every single 7" vinyl on the market at a record store ? Even PJ ones ? 8 dollars perhaps ?? And most of them are "decent"
    Here we have 7 records for 55 dollars so it's almost the same price.
    edited January 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

picola said:

PJ_Soul said:

Well, when I read that, I can't believe you're a vinyl enthousiast...
    Many poorly pressed records have defaults after a few spin due to the cartridge if they are not enough hard. (i don't know how to explain it properly in english, excuse that...)
    If records are veru thin, it's worse.
    Post edited by picola on
    picola said:

PJ_Soul said:

picola said:

PJ_Soul said:

Many poorly pressed records have defaults after a few spin due to the cartridge if they are not enough hard. (i don't know how to explain it properly in english, excuse that...)
    I just haven't ever had any issues or come across any records that have had issues like this, and have never seen anyone talk about it before, as a vinyl enthusiast. This one's new to me!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited January 2014
    If there were no issues about that and if no one before me and no audiophile had never talked about that before, I never would have tell you about that.

I don't care about a 180g vinyl or not, if the structure is well made and if the grooves and holes are well made and are very sharp and hard. But if the record is very very thin, well, I'm a bit scared...
    picola said:

If there were no issues about that and if no one before me and no audiophile had never talked about that before, I never would have tell you about that.

Yeah, I gathered.... I was just saying that I hadn't. At any rate, I'm not planning on opening my Sevens yet, but if the result of the records being thin is what you are worried about please give us an update!
    picola said:

PJ_Soul said:

picola said:

PJ_Soul said:

You would only notice a difference if you're using awful equipment like a Crosley or if you play this 500 times compared to a thicker version.

Being thin doesnt make this a poor pressing. Soundwise it's a slight improvement over my regular 12"
  • PJ_Soul said:

picola said:

We all have just to compare our Benaroya LP and this Sevens boxset.

same price, but one was really a true great gift to collectors and the other one is a poor record....

They write the same price on it. That says a lot.

sevens was more than benaroya hall
    Not if you take inflation into account.
    inflation wasn't part of either argument, but point taken
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2014
    picola said:

PJ_Soul said:

Awesome statement picola.

This new forum design rocks! On the old forum you were sure to be attacked, insulted and possibly banned by a select few with a comment like that.

We are all members and have a say as long as it is not personal. The old forum seemed to be very small.

Keep up the good work 10c and mods.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • picola said:

PJ_Soul said:

This new forum design rocks! On the old forum you were sure to be attacked and insulted by a select few with a comment like that.

We are all members and have a say as long as it is not personal. The old forum seemed to be very small.

what?
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,858
    Are 180g 45's even made? Or ever made. I've got a bunch of 45's and all are thinner than regular vinyl. My dad has hundreds of 45's and all are pretty thin.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,236

picola said:

PJ_Soul said:

This new forum design rocks! On the old forum you were sure to be attacked and insulted by a select few with a comment like that.

what?
    Eh?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I'm lost here.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2014

picola said:

PJ_Soul said:

what?
    Eh?
    =))
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,459
    Seriously-
    I have vinyl, some vinyl in the 80's was thinner than normal, but they sound great.
    I'm not sure the weight takes away from the sound quality at all.
    I've bought heavy vinyl that has been horrible....
    edited January 2014
    Yeah this thread is ridiculous. My two worst sounding records are both 180g. Some of my best are 120 and 140. And yes im using an audiophile setup on all links of the chain.
  • again,can someone,of the one who notice the difference,bewteen the onld singles and sevens tell me the weight difference in grams?
    im on a diet and those details are important,thanks
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405

Yeah this thread is ridiculous. My two worst sounding records are both 180g. Some of my best are 120 and 140. And yes im using an audiophile setup on all links of the chain.

agreed.

but I also put a pancake on my turntable & it sounded muffled. hmm....
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    I dunno....My 200gr 45rpm Counting Crows 2LP sounds pretty good & I have a pretty good setup as well

aqo2t.jpg
  • PernillePernille Posts: 114

again,can someone,of the one who notice the difference,bewteen the onld singles and sevens tell me the weight difference in grams?
    im on a diet and those details are important,thanks

:)) =D>
    2000: Roskilde
    2006: Berlin
    2007: Copenhagen
    2010: London
    2012: Copenhagen
    2014: Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2, Stockholm
    2016: MSG1, MSG2
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    I think the only thing thickness relates to is the durability of the vinyl.

edited January 2014
    pjradio said:

I dunno....My 200gr 45rpm Counting Crows 2LP sounds pretty good & I have a pretty good setup as

Thats because the CC record was a terrific masterung and pressing job. I was just relaying that just because a record is heavy doesnt make it better than a traditional thin one.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • covered in blisscovered in bliss Posts: 1,332
    edited January 2014
    To the average person, 140 gram is not inferior to 180 gram vinyl. Google it.
    Post edited by covered in bliss on
  • mfc2006 said:

agreed.

but I also put a pancake on my turntable & it sounded muffled. hmm....
    gotta go lighter on the syrup man
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,236
    I'm hoping the OP is so disappointed, he will contact me about selling it to me!
    www.cluthelee.com