SEVENS vinyls: thinner than ever...

Comments

• picolapicola Posts: 40

pjradio said:

I dunno....My 200gr 45rpm Counting Crows 2LP sounds pretty good & I have a pretty good setup as

Thats because the CC record was a terrific masterung and pressing job. I was just relaying that just because a record is heavy doesnt make it better than a traditional thin one.
    True. This is not my point here

To the average person, 140 gram is not inferior to 180 gram vinyl. Google it.

True, this is not my point here
  • OK, so I weighed the records...

Yellow Moon, SBM - 32g
    LB, sirens - 34g
    Swallowed whole, MFS - 34g
    Pendulum, MYM - 31g
    LTRP, Getaway - 34g
    FD, Infallable - 33g

I got ID - 34g
    Not for you - 33g
    Who you are - 33g
    Wishlist - 33g
    '99 xmas single - 37g
    Olympic Platinum- 38g
    99 problems - 49g

doesnt seem to be much of a difference from the other singles, but the xmas singles seem a bit heavier. But as my fiance said as i was sitting on the living room floor weighing 45s: "do they still play?, do they sound good?, then who gives a fuck?"
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    as long as you arent playing your lp's with a butcher knife, I think they will be A-ok.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,870

picola said:

PJ_Soul said:

Just wondering why anyone cares if they are thin. I haven't seen anyone say they sound bad, so who gives a shit?

If you don't play them on a turntable, you don't give a shit, ok...
    If records are made to be played, well, take a look at them after a few spin...

Awesome statement picola.

This new forum design rocks! On the old forum you were sure to be attacked, insulted and possibly banned by a select few with a comment like that.

We are all members and have a say as long as it is not personal. The old forum seemed to be very small.

Keep up the good work 10c and mods.
    Say what?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209

I'm hoping the OP is so disappointed, he will contact me about selling it to me!

Hope so, good luck.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,236

OK, so I weighed the records...

Yellow Moon, SBM - 32g
    LB, sirens - 34g
    Pendulum, MYM - 31g
    LTRP, Getaway - 34g
    FD, Infallable - 33g

I got ID - 34g
    Not for you - 33g
    Who you are - 33g
    Wishlist - 33g
    '99 xmas single - 37g
    Olympic Platinum- 38g
    99 problems - 49g

doesnt seem to be much of a difference from the other singles, but the xmas singles seem a bit heavier. But as my fiance said as i was sitting on the living room floor weighing 45s: "do they still play?, do they sound good?, then who gives a fuck?"

Yes! Give me raw numbers. Love it!
    www.cluthelee.com

Yellow Moon, SBM - 32g
    LB, sirens - 34g
    Pendulum, MYM - 31g
    LTRP, Getaway - 34g
    FD, Infallable - 33g

I got ID - 34g
    Not for you - 33g
    Who you are - 33g
    Wishlist - 33g
    '99 xmas single - 37g
    Olympic Platinum- 38g
    99 problems - 49g

Do I ever talk about weight ????

i told you they are thin.
    Now, I remember why I have never posted anything on this forum.

thanks for the reminder.
    edited January 2014
    picola said:

Yellow Moon, SBM - 32g
    LB, sirens - 34g
    Pendulum, MYM - 31g
    LTRP, Getaway - 34g
    FD, Infallable - 33g

I got ID - 34g
    Not for you - 33g
    Who you are - 33g
    Wishlist - 33g
    '99 xmas single - 37g
    Olympic Platinum- 38g
    99 problems - 49g

Do I ever talk about weight ????

i told you they are thin.
    That's basically the same thing with vinyl, no?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited January 2014
    For a small 7", I don't think so, for a 12" for sure

On a 7" vinyl, weights are quite the same (see the post from our friend who weights them all), and the weight is concentrate mainly on the center parts, not a vinyl part .. the % of vinyl is very small on a 7" if you compare it to the total weight
    (here excuse my english, difficult to explain, but you see what I'm saying)
    Post edited by picola on
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    A lot of 7 inch singles can be thin, never noticed any degrade in sound quality on anything in particular but a thick vinyl is always a bit steadier on the turntable and a bit more rebust. Thin ones can bend and snap quite easy but only if you mistreat them. Ive also bought some RSD 7 inch singles in the past few years that seem incredibly thick and a bit over the top.
  • Thick or thin, I'm still kicking myself for not purchasing Sevens when I had the chance!!!
    "A beacon on dry land"
    edited January 2014
    @FR181798 : right, but some of your (or mine) vinyls which are new, are already bend, even if we took care of them, just take a look at them when they spin ...

What I find incredible, is that there's many folks here who know a lot about vinyls (I just have to read this thread here to notice that) but nobody have ever experienced or ever read about grooves destructions on poor vinyl records after a few spins ...

Post edited by picola on
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    edited January 2014

Thick or thin, I'm still kicking myself for not purchasing Sevens when I had the chance!!!

yeah $400 for this makes me jealous too. other than that i would have still passed cause i can listen to the full vinyl without getting up every song to flip. PJ merch is a drug
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • PJ merch is definitely a drug, and I'm completely addicted! lol
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • TinAntTinAnt Posts: 343
    Whether these were pressed into 30 grams or 300 grams of vinyl, the groove depth and quality still come from the master. The amount of material between sides is irrelevant to the quality of the sound.
    ok, i always say "true" when something was true on this thread, but here your comment is not true
    the quality of the sound, the very first time is the same, but not after a few spin
    Awesome. It seems that many fans like to comment without reading before ...
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I will guarantee you that you will not notice the diff in sound on these between the original spin and the 10th spin, or many times after for that matter.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    edited January 2014
    picola said:

@FR181798 : right, but some of your (or mine) vinyls which are new, are already bend, even if we took care of them, just take a look at them when they spin ...

What I find incredible, is that there's many folks here who know a lot about vinyls (I just have to read this thread here to notice that) but nobody have ever experienced or ever read about grooves destructions on poor vinyl records after a few spins ...

Maybe your cartridge needs replacing??? Too heavy? Or your stylus? Or maybe your counterweight isn't set properly? :-/ I've seriously never heard of such easy destruction of vinyl just from spinning it a few times. But again, I'm just talking about what I've experienced or heard myself..... It just sounds weird. I have trouble believing that the Sevens set is going to be torn apart by my stylus.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,831
    I feel bad for those whose ears make it miserable for them to enjoy music if not played on just the right format with just the right weight at just the right speed. Some may think it is a gift, but to me it would be an expensive, inconvenient nuisance.
    as an audiophile, you can believe me, my setup has zero issue. Avid turntable and mc Intosh gear and i really take care of it.
    picola said:

as an audiophile, you can believe me, my setup has zero issue. Avid turntable and mc Intosh gear and i really take care of it.

Okay, well, I don't know what to say. That fucking sucks that you've had records wear out so easily! I guess I'm pretty lucky that way!
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    picola said:

the quality of the sound, the very first time is the same, but not after a few spin

Not trying to be rude but you may need to check your setup. They will not degrade after a few spins.
    it was just a post to say that records are this time way to thin for us to keep them in great condition over the years...

people start to speak about weight, 180g records, other formats available etc.

I know what i'm talking about, and I just wanted to point out something ... but if everyone is OK with the fact that over the years products are less and less wellproducted, OK "i'm super cool, i love vinyl and i'm even cooooleeerrr if I say that i don't give a f... about the quality" ...hum hum...
  • I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading this thread
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    picola said:

it was just a post to say that records are this time way to thin for us to keep them in great condition over the years...

people start to speak about weight, 180g records, other formats available etc.

I know what i'm talking about, and I just wanted to point out something ... but if everyone is OK with the fact that over the years products are less and less wellproducted, OK "i'm super cool, i love vinyl and i'm even cooooleeerrr if I say that i don't give a f... about the quality" ...hum hum...

That is a pretty snotty comment.

picola said:

Not trying to be rude but you may need to check your setup. They will not degrade after a few spins.

again, please read above .. (and i don't want to be rude too)