Options

Forum Re-style for Firefox/Chrome (Formerly the malarky thread)

Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
edited April 2014 in The Porch
UPDATE 4/29: With recent updates to the board resolving some complaints, I'm no longer recommending anyone use these scripts. If you do use them, the board will not render correctly.

While 10C works on getting the new forums configured, here's an alternative to the current design that should improve the experience. This only works on Chrome and Firefox.

I don't guarantee this will solve all your problems (or that it won't create new ones), but I hope it helps.

FIREFOX INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Install GreaseMonkey if you don't have it yet. This extension allows you to run custom scripts that change the appearance and behavior of websites in your browser.
2) Install using one of the links below.

CHROME INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Install using one of the links below.

All these scripts do is modify the appearance of the forum. They do not affect the data stored on your computer or on 10C's servers.
Explanation for the technically inclined: This user script uses JavaScript functions to insert overriding CSS into the page head and to insert objects into the page body (The participated discussions link and the status icons). The source is available for review.

Keep in mind that when/if the 10C updates the forum, you'll want to uninstall this script.

I'm open to feedback.

Legacy Style

This is meant to closely resemble the previous forum.
INSTALL HERE
Screenshots:
image image image image

Previous Versions

Expanded (White)
INSTALL HERE
image image image

Expanded (Black)
INSTALL HERE
image image image
i-Brzk3Rdjpg
2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
Audioslave 2005 MSG
Post edited by Mike D88 on

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,418
    That's pretty cool - nice job! I would love it if they changed the forum to look exactly like your version.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,518
    Wow. nice job. it works great
  • Options
    JKestleJKestle Posts: 62
    Works great! thank-you!

Two suggestions:

- can you change the light blue lettering to a darker blue like google uses on search results?
    - it would be helpful to make the forum titles ("The Porch", "Given to Fly (live)" etc..) a different color to help separate the categories.

Not sure if this is possible, but it would solve this whole forum design problem as far as I'm concerned.

Again, great work :)
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Wow, this works unbelievably well. Hopefully you arent emptying my bank account and applying for credit cards using my SSN! Haha.

Actually, I read the script and can say with certainty that it is 100% safe as it is literally just using html embedded in a js function.
  • Options
    P.S. It took me all of four mouse clicks to get GreaseMonkey installed and this script activated. It is literally more keystrokes to log in than it is to install this.
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    JKestle said:

Works great! thank-you!

Two suggestions:

- can you change the light blue lettering to a darker blue like google uses on search results?
    - it would be helpful to make the forum titles ("The Porch", "Given to Fly (live)" etc..) a different color to help separate the categories.

Not sure if this is possible, but it would solve this whole forum design problem as far as I'm concerned.

Again, great work :)

Added these changes. Also fixed some stuff in profiles, messages and preferences that I broke.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    edited January 2014

Thank you Mike!!! You're the man

OMG! I CAN EDIT. YEAH!
    Post edited by Longueuil on
  • Options
    Yes, thank you (I forgot that before! )
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,696
    No more "Popular Tags" & "Who's Online" icons clogging up the left side of my wall.

• Options
    This is brilliant. Thank you very much!!
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    THANK YOU!!!!!
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,935
    It looks like more modern version of the old one! very very very nice job!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    Perfect! You're a gentleman and a scholar.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited January 2014
    Thank you! That works fantastically :D
  • Options
    Only one thng ... The "participated" button is not there anymore, also not on my profile. How can I keep track on where I posted?
  • Options
    nothinasitseemsnothinasitseems New Jersey Posts: 1,507
    Looks great!
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • Options
    emjotemjot Posts: 2,722
    Oh my god, this is fantastic, I will actually start to use Firefox again, just so I can read and post on the forum. My eyes are grateful! Thank you so much!
    PJ * 2010 * Belfast * 2012 * Manchester 1 * Manchester 2 * Berlin 1 * Berlin 2 * 2014 * Amsterdam 1 * Amsterdam 2 * Berlin * Leeds * Milton Keynes *
    EV * 2012 * Manchester * London 1 * London 2 * 2017 * Dublin * Cork *
  • Options
    Another thing ... When you are in the categories section, the numbers on the bottom right to mark what site you are on at the moment, are always the same colour. I always forget what site I was on image Is it possible to have the numbers in different colours? If not, that is fine too. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    The grey boxes differentiating the categories on the home page is a nice touch
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    This is MUCH better! Thanks!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    Look like you can edit your post! ^:)^
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,149
    is anyone knows anything so can do this in Chrome\??
    thanks

and thanks OP,great work
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    RoelandRoeland Posts: 177

thanks

and thanks OP,great work

You should download the script on http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/262103 (right click on the Install button and choose "Save link as"). Then go to chrome://extensions/ in your browser and drag and drop the script to this page.
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Installed on Chrome. Thank-you. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    emjotemjot Posts: 2,722
    All right, so this is even better, on Chrome now too :)

10c - look and learn!
    PJ * 2010 * Belfast * 2012 * Manchester 1 * Manchester 2 * Berlin 1 * Berlin 2 * 2014 * Amsterdam 1 * Amsterdam 2 * Berlin * Leeds * Milton Keynes *
    EV * 2012 * Manchester * London 1 * London 2 * 2017 * Dublin * Cork *
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Wow - MUCH better than the stock 10C version.

10C needs to talk to you or hire you to help guide them through updating the standard version,... seriously.

^:)^
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    I really like the word malarky. I haven't tried this yet but thank you for figuring out a fix!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,149
    Roeland said:

thanks

and thanks OP,great work

You should download the script on http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/262103 (right click on the Install button and choose "Save link as"). Then go to chrome://extensions/ in your browser and drag and drop the script to this page.
    thanks for that,sure is better..so,actually,put out the bar on the left,the online avatars and tags and its grey the fond..
    am i right?doesnt hurt the data or lost anything,right?
    i m not good about those details about internet pages,thanks
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Tuta23Tuta23 Posts: 114
    Everything is now copacetic! Many thanks!

Now this thread contains two of my favorite words! "malarky" and "copacetic".
    I am not a Thief of Silence.
  • Options
    I have actually disabled this again because I couldn't find a way to look into the "participated" threads anymore. The thingy on the left makes the navigation easier. I did love the design of the script though.