Options

Pet Peeves

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,653
    SD48277 said:

SD48277 said:

I'm sure I've mentioned it but it deserves mentioning again:

It is not could/should/would/might OF. The word is HAVE. Or you can use the contracted form 'VE. But for the love of grammar, stop using OF. It is not correct, it never was correct, nor will it ever be correct. And besides that, it just doesn't make any sense.

You have mentioned it before, and every time I see someone use "of" instead of "have" I think of your post(s). :smiley:
    Haha! It is definitely my biggest grammatical pet peeve! It has surpassed your/you're.
    People saying "irregardless" is still one of my top pet peeves.
    It's in the dictionary now!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    This whole new stupid trend of using nouns as verbs.

Just seen in a car commercial - Get ready to winter!

Really? How does one "winter"? Fuck you and your fellow butchers of language.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,487
    peeves :giggle:
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    hedonist said:

Oh god! This is another trend that drives me nuts. I always see this one:

Ugh! Do I have to adult today? I don't want to adult today! Well, that's obvious since you have the grammar of a 3 year old.
  • Options
    SD48277 said:

SD48277 said:

It is not could/should/would/might OF. The word is HAVE. Or you can use the contracted form 'VE. But for the love of grammar, stop using OF. It is not correct, it never was correct, nor will it ever be correct. And besides that, it just doesn't make any sense.

You have mentioned it before, and every time I see someone use "of" instead of "have" I think of your post(s). :smiley:
    Haha! It is definitely my biggest grammatical pet peeve! It has surpassed your/you're.
    A buddy of mine says it ALL the time. I correct him all the time and he still says it.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

hedonist said:

Oh god! This is another trend that drives me nuts. I always see this one:

Ugh! Do I have to adult today? I don't want to adult today! Well, that's obvious since you have the grammar of a 3 year old.
    :time_out:

No way. This is the the improvement to the English language that we need. Especially since 'mewling quim' fell out of fashion. (Thanks, Joss Whedon!)
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,857
    People slapping their hands together as they are talking (during a disagreement/argument). Each slap is done as a word is spoken. It's as though slapping your hands together is supposed to make their words more meaningful and their point more valid.

I think it is commonly just a distraction for an otherwise invalid point.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

People slapping their hands together as they are talking (during a disagreement/argument). Each slap is done as a word is spoken. It's as though slapping your hands together is supposed to make their words more meaningful and their point more valid.

Frank Costanza employed this regularly.

(or maybe it's just a Jerry Stiller thing, because Arthur Spooner did it too)
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Frank Costanza employed this regularly.

(or maybe it's just a Jerry Stiller thing, because Arthur Spooner did it too)
    I read the name Frank Costanzo and instantly pictured him doing it and i thought.. arrrggghhh!!!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,694
    1. People who don't understand the difference between then and than
    2. People who think cause is short for because
    3. People who wait for the very last second to move in a merging lane even though they had plenty of time and space to do it before.
    4. People who 1. Pee in a toilet stall even though a urinal is available and 2. Don't lift the seat
    5. People who try to get on an elevator before the all people are off... hate this.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Pfft. Totally. Only fools don't know it's not 'cause. It's CUZ, for Pete's sake! =)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    A guy in front of me at Starbucks yesterday wearing an MCM backpack, three thick gold chains, comically large gold watch, equally comic gold glasses, talking on his bluetooth and slamming his backpack into everybody. It was almost funny watching him crash into people with the backpack - he was too distracted cause he was talking on the phone.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    ringing cell phones at work,...turn that shit on vibrate.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

Pfft. Totally. Only fools don't know it's not 'cause. It's CUZ, for Pete's sake! =)
    I could live with 'cause or 'cuz. But "cause" is a totally separate word.
  • Options
    Enkidu said:

A guy in front of me at Starbucks yesterday wearing an MCM backpack, three thick gold chains, comically large gold watch, equally comic gold glasses, talking on his bluetooth and slamming his backpack into everybody. It was almost funny watching him crash into people with the backpack - he was too distracted cause he was talking on the phone.

DOH!
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    mrussel1 said:

Enkidu said:

DOH!
    I'm so ashamed. And I'm a writer. I usually spell out "because." Also "going to" for "gonna."
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Enkidu said:

mrussel1 said:

Enkidu said:

DOH!
    I'm so ashamed. And I'm a writer. I usually spell out "because." Also "going to" for "gonna."
    :rofl:
    I do use gonna. I like it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242

SD48277 said:

SD48277 said:

A buddy of mine says it ALL the time. I correct him all the time and he still says it.
    I still correct my mother when she says it.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Enkidu said:

mrussel1 said:

Enkidu said:

DOH!
    I must admit I am a fan of gonna and wanna.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Enkidu said:

mrussel1 said:

Enkidu said:

DOH!
    I must admit I am a fan of gonna and wanna.
    I concur. I mean texting and driving can br difficult enough without having to worry about correct grammar.
    :cowboy:
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,071
    the new girl at work not FLATTENING out the mail when she unfolds it from the envelope. I get it barely unfolded... Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

And when people do not FOLD the end of a file folder to accommodate as it gets thicker with paper.

Yeah... it BUGS me..
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Lizard said:

the new girl at work not FLATTENING out the mail when she unfolds it from the envelope. I get it barely unfolded... Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

And when people do not FOLD the end of a file folder to accommodate as it gets thicker with paper.

Yeah... it BUGS me..

This is very specific... I'm not sure I can relate but I can tell it bothers you.
  • Options
    Lizard said:

Yeah... it BUGS me..

I'm with ya.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    people who ask you for a ride...then when they get in your car and you start it, they say they don't like the music and then start pushing buttons.

DON"T FUCKING TOUCH MY RADIO! You are in MY car, you're gonna fucking listen to MY MUSIC!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    RKCNDY said:

people who ask you for a ride...then when they get in your car and you start it, they say they don't like the music and then start pushing buttons.

DON"T FUCKING TOUCH MY RADIO! You are in MY car, you're gonna fucking listen to MY MUSIC!

that would hiss me off too as i like my station with lots of old easy listening rock..

when someone tells you.....that he wants to be happy with his lady and rock with her and you agree and part and leave to do your own thing but everybody and him dont leave you alone to be free and friendly and separate
  • Options
    People that abbreviate 'et cetera' as ect.
  • Options

i thought it was etc ??

my pet peave is when your chatting with your sibling something personal and important
    and someone interupts and thinks your talking about them
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    when im listening sabbath & someone wants to pick my nose. im like, what the frig, get the heck off me for awhile, i got sabbath goin rather loudly you fucker

https://youtu.be/4WrTZweHXTI
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

when im listening sabbath & someone wants to pick my nose. im like, what the frig, get the heck off me for awhile, i got sabbath goin rather loudly you fucker

https://youtu.be/4WrTZweHXTI

lol
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

i thought it was etc ??

my pet peave is when your chatting with your sibling something personal and important
    and someone interupts and thinks your talking about them
    You thought correctly; it is etc. Many people incorrectly put the c before the t.