Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    MayDay10 said:
    Seeing I don't know much about American football, can someone tell me how the players know which play to make after each down?
    I see the coaches have earphones and a mic. Do they communicate directly to the players when they are on the field, like do the players have earpieces so they can hear? If not, who are the coaches talking to then?
    typically, the offensive coach will call the plays and is mic-ed into the qb's helmet.  the qb communicates to the other players on what the call is.  the qb can also adjust the play when they line up if he sees something in the defense.  the only one who can hear the coaches are the qb and the patriots
    Thank you for explaining!
    "and the patriots"?
    lol, it was just a shot at them.  they have been accused in the past of listening in/cutting communications at their home stadium, etc...  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    tbergs said:
    KC138045 said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    Pats played well -- heck, both teams were great on offense.  There was almost no defense to speak of.  How many punts?  Is that a record low #?
    True. I think there was only 1 punt and 1 turnover. Very few penalties. One of the cleanest games you could hope for with the huge national audience. The NFL has to be happy with pretty much everything that game offered, including half-time with JT.

I have to admit that I don't really "get" music like Timberlake's but I don't see what was good about that performance. Just seemed like a bunch of lip-synching (for the most part) and dancing. I also didn't recognize a single song so that didn't help.
    I honestly don't think he lip synced at all. That was him. He's a performer and puts on a good show. Can't say I'm his #1 fan, but I usually like at least a few tracks off of each his albums. I just love his humor. The guy has done some great SNL skits.
    I thought it was pretty obvious he was lip syncing which I think there always is during the SB Halftime show..  Several times where his voice was singing but the mic was no where near his mouth.  The performance as a whole seemed like a jumbled mess.
    Hmm, I'll have to watch it again I guess. I mean, I know the backing music includes most of the song when Pop/Hip-Hop artists perfom live like that, but every time I heard his voice out front on the song it was clearly live. I didn't see him mouthing lyrics he didn't sing.

Jumbled mess? I am surprised to hear some say that. I was impressed with how well they transitioned to all the different stages and how he was able to be where he needed to be among that crowd of dancers, band players, fans and everything else. I didn't see any major flaws with the choreography or sets. It looked like it would have been hell to plan that and execute it so well, but to each their own. I still love a great straight forward rock concert :) 
    I notices the "fans?" jumping up and down when JT was on the stage.
    Was thinking, are they actual fans, have they been hired to just jump up and down and go crazy so that it looks good on TV?
    Just didn't seem that his songs would make someone jump like they are at a punk rock show.
    I noticed one guy in the "jumping crowd" ended up on stage as a dancer, so yeah, those people were not fans, they were hired dancers. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Gronk gets his brain scrambled, loses the SB, and then goes home to discover the local populous robbed his home. New England Strong. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Congratulations Eagles and Eagles fans, you deserved it. Your team played and coached much better than we did. I don't know why Belichick benched Malcolm Butler, but that decision cost us another championship. Thanks Bill, it's clear now that Brady is the GOat and you are an egotistical narc.
    I keep hearing about Malcolm Butler. I know he is a good cornerback. I just never knew he was same class as Deion Sanders,  Charles Woodson, or Darrelle Revis in that he took away a whole half of the field and could single handily change a game. Or Pats fans are looking for an excuse. 
    Well he's infinitely better than Johnson Bademosi and Jordan Richards.

You guys had your starting quarterback, though, right? Just checking...
    believe they had their starting MLB and LT as well. No big deal though.

Well Dont'a Hightower, the Pats' best linebacker by far has been out for most of the season and is on IR. 
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Players are starting to sound off on Bill's power trip (benching Butler). The team was shaken as a result of the decision. The timing of it was just enough for the team to lose at last part of their focus.

I still sit here puzzled over that move. I haven't seen the official release where it was a confirmed curfew and dope related issue, but even if it was... c'mon, man. Dope? It's legal in any progressive country or state. Late? This isn't high school, Bill.

If Butler blew an assignment or two during the game- proving the 'breaches' impacted his performance... then sit him down. These are grown men and professionals (most of them anyways).

* And Bill was nothing in Cleveland. I'll acknowledge him as one of the best coaches of all time, but it's fair to say he's been in good company and been the beneficiary of luck as well as being accomplished.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Players are starting to sound off on Bill's power trip (benching Butler). The team was shaken as a result of the decision. The timing of it was just enough for the team to lose at last part of their focus.

I still sit here puzzled over that move. I haven't seen the official release where it was a confirmed curfew and dope related issue, but even if it was... c'mon, man. Dope? It's legal in any progressive country or state. Late? This isn't high school, Bill.

If Butler blew an assignment or two during the game- proving the 'breaches' impacted his performance... then sit him down. These are grown men and professionals (most of them anyways).

* And Bill was nothing in Cleveland. I'll acknowledge him as one of the best coaches of all time, but it's fair to say he's been in good company and been the beneficiary of luck as well as being accomplished.
    and the SB is not the time to make an example or discipline. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,287
    So apparently Malcolm Bulter didn't play cuz he missed curfew and had weed on him.  Ya know, god forbid ya have a little fun and stay out late.  But sure, beat the shit out of your fiancee on camera, totally fucking fi ne. The NFL sucks.
    It really does. The XFL might actually be successful at this point. They'll allow weed, steroids, cocaine, hookers, concussion inducing hits, no instant replay, a catch to be a catch. America loves that shit. The fact  that the refs had to spend 5 minutes to review that final Ertz touchdown. I mean he CAUGHT the ball at the 6 yrd line, took three big steps, reached out for the goaline, broke the plane. 

While we're at it, Bill Belichick is an ass. I hope Kraft dumps him at this point. Pats have been better off without him for years, he's cost them too many championships. If we're looking to give credit for the Pats dynasty it's mostly due to Tom Brady. 
    For people who complained at fans for wanting Andy Reid gone after 14 years of not winning a championship, please refer this post. Thank you. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Yep, there's a good chance he loses the players in the locker room.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Can’t praise him over and over and over and over for being a hardass AND completely throw him under the bus when he makes a call that had a fairly minor impact on the game. If the other players were rattled by it that’s on them, not Billy. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225

Not likely.
    Butler is gone obviously, this will be forgotten once OTA's start and it will be business as usual. There'll be plenty of roster turnover and the returning players will have put this all behind them.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Not likely.
    Butler is gone obviously, this will be forgotten once OTA's start and it will be business as usual. There'll be plenty of roster turnover and the returning players will have put this all behind them.
    Hopefully.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    With Brady and Big Ben aging, can you imagine how large the gap between the AFC and NFC is going to be in the next couple of years? Let’s see, NFC will have:

Eagles w/ Wentz back 
    Packers w/ Rodgers back
    Falcons 
    Rams
    9ers w/ Jimmy
    Vikings 
    Panthers 
    Saints

I don’t think a single person would be amazed if you told them that any of those teams would get 12 wins next season. I honestly think that you could make an argument that any of those teams are better than any one single team in the AFC once you age Tom and Ben another year. 

So in the AFC we have:

Patriots if Brady can keep it up
    Steelers if Ben can keep it up 
    Jags if they can get a QB, Cousins is looking like the best case scenario right now

Does anyone honestly think that any of those 3 teams can beat any of the 8 NFC teams I listed? Hell you could probably even throw the Seachickens in there too. There is going to be NFC teams missing the playoffs that will be better than the AFC champs. 
  • Options
    RiotZact said:
    With Brady and Big Ben aging, can you imagine how large the gap between the AFC and NFC is going to be in the next couple of years? Let’s see, NFC will have:

Eagles w/ Wentz back 
    Packers w/ Rodgers back
    Falcons 
    Rams
    9ers w/ Jimmy
    Vikings 
    Panthers 
    Saints

I don’t think a single person would be amazed if you told them that any of those teams would get 12 wins next season. I honestly think that you could make an argument that any of those teams are better than any one single team in the AFC once you age Tom and Ben another year. 

So in the AFC we have:

Jags if they can get a QB, Cousins is looking like the best case scenario right now

Does anyone honestly think that any of those 3 teams can beat any of the 8 NFC teams I listed? Hell you could probably even throw the Seachickens in there too. There is going to be NFC teams missing the playoffs that will be better than the AFC champs. 
    Yes.

and you do realize that you’re only one or two injuries from complete ruin for any of those teams listed? And, do the Eagles now have a QB controversy and does it destroy their “dynasty?”
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    RiotZact said:

Eagles w/ Wentz back 
    Packers w/ Rodgers back
    Falcons 
    Rams
    9ers w/ Jimmy
    Vikings 
    Panthers 
    Saints

So in the AFC we have:

Yes.

and you do realize that you’re only one or two injuries from complete ruin for any of those teams listed? And, do the Eagles now have a QB controversy and does it destroy their “dynasty?”
    Ok, but there’s 8 of them, maybe 9 or 10. Ruin 2 or even 3 of them with QB injuries and you still have an entire playoff picture worth of teams that are better than any AFC team.

And no, the Eagles have no QB controversy. It always has been, is, and always will be Carson. 
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Colts dodged a bulliit with Josh Mcdaniels.  He fucked the Colts.  World class D bag.  Agreed to a deal and was even hiring a staff then backed out.  He will never coach anywhere outside of New England for the rest of his career 

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Seeing I don't know much about American football, can someone tell me how the players know which play to make after each down?
    I see the coaches have earphones and a mic. Do they communicate directly to the players when they are on the field, like do the players have earpieces so they can hear? If not, who are the coaches talking to then?
    typically, the offensive coach will call the plays and is mic-ed into the qb's helmet.  the qb communicates to the other players on what the call is.  the qb can also adjust the play when they line up if he sees something in the defense.  the only one who can hear the coaches are the qb and the patriots
    Thank you for explaining!
    "and the patriots"?
    lol, it was just a shot at them.  they have been accused in the past of listening in/cutting communications at their home stadium, etc...  
    Haha. And I read about underinflated footballs. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    tbergs said:
    KC138045 said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    Pats played well -- heck, both teams were great on offense.  There was almost no defense to speak of.  How many punts?  Is that a record low #?
    True. I think there was only 1 punt and 1 turnover. Very few penalties. One of the cleanest games you could hope for with the huge national audience. The NFL has to be happy with pretty much everything that game offered, including half-time with JT.

I have to admit that I don't really "get" music like Timberlake's but I don't see what was good about that performance. Just seemed like a bunch of lip-synching (for the most part) and dancing. I also didn't recognize a single song so that didn't help.
    I honestly don't think he lip synced at all. That was him. He's a performer and puts on a good show. Can't say I'm his #1 fan, but I usually like at least a few tracks off of each his albums. I just love his humor. The guy has done some great SNL skits.
    I thought it was pretty obvious he was lip syncing which I think there always is during the SB Halftime show..  Several times where his voice was singing but the mic was no where near his mouth.  The performance as a whole seemed like a jumbled mess.
    Hmm, I'll have to watch it again I guess. I mean, I know the backing music includes most of the song when Pop/Hip-Hop artists perfom live like that, but every time I heard his voice out front on the song it was clearly live. I didn't see him mouthing lyrics he didn't sing.

Jumbled mess? I am surprised to hear some say that. I was impressed with how well they transitioned to all the different stages and how he was able to be where he needed to be among that crowd of dancers, band players, fans and everything else. I didn't see any major flaws with the choreography or sets. It looked like it would have been hell to plan that and execute it so well, but to each their own. I still love a great straight forward rock concert :) 
    I notices the "fans?" jumping up and down when JT was on the stage.
    Was thinking, are they actual fans, have they been hired to just jump up and down and go crazy so that it looks good on TV?
    Just didn't seem that his songs would make someone jump like they are at a punk rock show.
    I noticed one guy in the "jumping crowd" ended up on stage as a dancer, so yeah, those people were not fans, they were hired dancers. 
    haha. Lame.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Josh also fucked over assistants who gave their lives away to work with him.  The only piece of shit I can compare him with is Bobby Petrino.  And I think Petrino comes out in spades over this fuck bag. 
  • Options
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:

Eagles w/ Wentz back 
    Packers w/ Rodgers back
    Falcons 
    Rams
    9ers w/ Jimmy
    Vikings 
    Panthers 
    Saints

So in the AFC we have:

Yes.

Ok, but there’s 8 of them, maybe 9 or 10. Ruin 2 or even 3 of them with QB injuries and you still have an entire playoff picture worth of teams that are better than any AFC team.

And no, the Eagles have no QB controversy. It always has been, is, and always will be Carson. 
    Trade away or bench the SB MVP? I mean he’s gonna wanna play, right?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,797
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,287
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

and the SB is not the time to make an example or discipline. 
    I’d say it was the perfect time.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    Jason P said:
    Colts dodged a bulliit with Josh Mcdaniels.  He fucked the Colts.  World class D bag.  Agreed to a deal and was even hiring a staff then backed out.  He will never coach anywhere outside of New England for the rest of his career 

I was shocked that McDaniels wanted to go work for that creep Irsay.  But I do agree that it's a pretty shitty move to change your mind at the last minute here after assistants are already being hired.  But at the same time, why the hell are the Colts making announcements and scheduling press conferences before the guy has actually signed a contract????
  • Options
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:

Eagles w/ Wentz back 
    Packers w/ Rodgers back
    Falcons 
    Rams
    9ers w/ Jimmy
    Vikings 
    Panthers 
    Saints

So in the AFC we have:

Yes.

Trade away or bench the SB MVP? I mean he’s gonna wanna play, right?
    Is there a player in the NFL that doesn’t want to play? Football is business, Carson Wentz is the Eagles starting QB when he is healthy, it’s not even a question. What they do with Foles outside of that remains to be seen, but there is zero controversy over who is the starter. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Best pals!

And true.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Jason P said:

Look at who he works for, the ultimate d bag. Wonder if visor backed out like hoodie did to the jets? 
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Damn!!! I hope for Niners fans that Jimmy G does indeed wind up being the messiah. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    dankind said:
    Damn!!! I hope for Niners fans that Jimmy G does indeed wind up being the messiah. 
    Apparently they're looking at Jarvis Landry from the Dolphins and a few draft predictions have them picking up Barkley.  I'd definitely be happy with both.
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    Niners draft 9th?

no way Barkley lasts that long
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    edited February 2018
    I dont know if Landry fits from a 'citizen' perspective.  Can't you see Pierre Garcon (he is there for one more year, right?) beating the hell out of Jarvis the first time he throws his tantrum?  Garcon = ultimate teammate.  Landry = ultimate bitch of a teammate

Dude can ball, no doubt about that.

Barkley would be awesome.  I think they need to get a few OL, a few DBs and perhaps spend on a premier defensive end/pass rusher to teach all of their young DL how it is done.  RB would be awesome but I think the coach is good enough to make the WRs and HBs pretty good.  If we can build that D and OL back up?  Oh baby.  So much room on the cap to go hunting with that and those draft picks.

Barkley is likely aiming too high, though. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved