Options

*** Ed solo NJ Fanviews Here 8/7/08 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,932
edited May 2009 in Given To Fly (live)
August 7, 2008, Newark, NJ, NJ Performing Arts Center
Ed solo tour - opening: Liam Finn

Set list: Walking the Cow, Trouble, Don't Be Shy, Around the Bend, I Am Mine, Dead Man, Sometimes, I'm Open, Man of the Hour, Unthought Known, Driftin', Masters of War, Setting Forth, No Ceiling, Guaranteed, Far Behind, Rise, Small Town, Goodbye (You're True), Soon Forget, Forever Young, Porch

1st encore: Society, Throw Your Arms Around Me (w/ Liam Finn), (Q/A), Growin' Up, Lukin, Let My Love Open the Door, Arc

2nd encore: Hard Sun (w/ Liam Finn)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Kick ass show tonite!! ! The meaning of Yellow Ledbetter was explained for about 5 mins! Tim Robbins in the house..
  • Options
    and it is?

Kick ass show tonite!! ! The meaning of Yellow Ledbetter was explained for about 5 mins! Tim Robbins in the house..
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Yellow Ledbetter Meaning !!!!!!!!! Wowowowowowowow
    I WAS MESMORIZED WHEN HE WAS EXPLAINING THE STORY

And Throw Your Arms Around Me And Elderly Woman And Lukin

And I Got To Brooklyn In 25 Min :)
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    Yellow Ledbetter Meaning !!!!!!!!! Wowowowowowowow
    I WAS MESMORIZED WHEN HE WAS EXPLAINING THE STORY

And Throw Your Arms Around Me And Elderly Woman And Lukin

And I Got To Brooklyn In 25 Min :)

so you liked ed solo? :D
  • Options
    Ti_Jam96Ti_Jam96 Posts: 12

What did he say about Yellow Ledbetter? It would be cool to hear it come from him, I've heard lots of different things about it.

I'm seeing him in Montreal this weekend can't wait, lots of good things have been said about his solo shows so far!

All five horizons...
  • Options
    and it is?

Pretty much confirmed what's on wikipedia, but was nice to hear it in person....

"Lyrics
    The song's name is derived from the actual name of an old friend of Vedder from Chicago, named Tim Ledbetter.[2] The lyrics of "Yellow Ledbetter" have proven undecipherable when heard live and even on the early recorded version, as Vedder mumbles through much of the song with only certain parts being heard prominently, such as the famous line at the end of each verse "I said, I don’t know whether I was the boxer or the bag", with these parts of the song heard on almost every live rendition of the song. There are many unofficial lyrics on various websites.

Although many fans have made their own interpretations of the song, a common theory is that the song is about someone receiving a letter and finding his or her brother had died overseas in war,[6] cited from the lyrics in the Live at the Garden version "I don't know whether my brother will be coming home in a box or a bag"). On the official bootleg release of 7/11/03 - Mansfield, Massachusetts, Vedder sings in the first verse "I think of him when I go to bed, and he's coming home in a box or a bag". On the official bootleg release of 5/3/03 - State College, Pennsylvania, Vedder sings "And my brother...they sent him off to fight for the flag, I just, I don't hope he comes home in a box or a bag".

Regarding the song, Vedder said that it was written around the time of the Gulf War, and added that "it's an anti-patriotic song, actually."[7]. On the official bootleg release of 5/3/03 - State College, Pennsylvania, Vedder sings "On the wayside I'd like to wish this war away - and I tried but it just, it just don't happen that way". This emphasizes the bands strong anti-war message, a message which is often reiterated during concerts when Vedder speaks to the crowd. Note in Immagine In Cornice before the band launches into "Life Wasted", Vedder speaks in Italian to the crowd, saying, "In a period of war, we will sing songs that speak about the importance of peace."
  • Options
    Pretty much confirmed what's on wikipedia, but was nice to hear it in person....

"Lyrics
    The song's name is derived from the actual name of an old friend of Vedder from Chicago, named Tim Ledbetter.[2] The lyrics of "Yellow Ledbetter" have proven undecipherable when heard live and even on the early recorded version, as Vedder mumbles through much of the song with only certain parts being heard prominently, such as the famous line at the end of each verse "I said, I don’t know whether I was the boxer or the bag", with these parts of the song heard on almost every live rendition of the song. There are many unofficial lyrics on various websites.

Although many fans have made their own interpretations of the song, a common theory is that the song is about someone receiving a letter and finding his or her brother had died overseas in war,[6] cited from the lyrics in the Live at the Garden version "I don't know whether my brother will be coming home in a box or a bag"). On the official bootleg release of 7/11/03 - Mansfield, Massachusetts, Vedder sings in the first verse "I think of him when I go to bed, and he's coming home in a box or a bag". On the official bootleg release of 5/3/03 - State College, Pennsylvania, Vedder sings "And my brother...they sent him off to fight for the flag, I just, I don't hope he comes home in a box or a bag".

Regarding the song, Vedder said that it was written around the time of the Gulf War, and added that "it's an anti-patriotic song, actually."[7]. On the official bootleg release of 5/3/03 - State College, Pennsylvania, Vedder sings "On the wayside I'd like to wish this war away - and I tried but it just, it just don't happen that way". This emphasizes the bands strong anti-war message, a message which is often reiterated during concerts when Vedder speaks to the crowd. Note in Immagine In Cornice before the band launches into "Life Wasted", Vedder speaks in Italian to the crowd, saying, "In a period of war, we will sing songs that speak about the importance of peace."

Sorry, disregard first paragraph, didn't mean to paste that, basically the 2nd two paragraphs is what he confirmed.
  • Options

"Lyrics

BUT DONT forget when the brother was walking and he saw the couple w/ the american flag on the porch and the brother giving the" cool:" wave
    but the couple thinking he was a nobody and not responding

out on thr porch but they dont wave

wowow
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Absolutely incredible. Ed totally enjoyed the crowd, even the drunken ones. At one point ed was trying to explain something and a girl around tier one on the right side shoted "i love you eddie" and Ed just gave a funny "wtf" look. I think he actually enjoyed the loud people. He was extremely talkative. To be honest, I think I enjoyed him talking more than I did him singing. I love how Ed messed up about 3 times tonight, especially when the harmonica smacked his face forcing him to restart driftin. Oh and the meaning to YLB was pretty sweet.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    chrisg72chrisg72 South Jersey Posts: 112
    I just got back from Newark and Eddie was unbelievable!!!!! What a great show!!! He is so freakin' talented!!! He is so amazing to watch. His voice sounded great! I don't know how I'll get to sleep :)
    9.28.96 - 9.29.96 - 9.1.00 - 6.3.06 - 6.24.08 - 6.25.08 - EV 8.7.08 - 10.30.09 - 5.20.10 - 5.21.10 - 9.11.11
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    so you liked ed solo? :D

of course but once is enough for me

and i will say i was missing the band during most of the pj songs

it was like a tease ,, why isnt everyone on stage lol
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    of course but once is enough for me

and i will say i was missing the band during most of the pj songs

it was like a tease ,, why isnt everyone on stage lol

i know what you mean.....i loved ed doing i am mine solo but missed mikey's solo at the end :)
  • Options
    maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    What an awesome show! So many hi-lights for me.....Sometimes, Rise, Trouble, Masters, etc....

Real quick, I received a setlist & the new song was titled "Unthought Known".
    My lips are shaking.......
  • Options
    Holy f'n shit..did he destroy or what..Masters of War was outta this world..The crowd was behaved for the most part..Ed seemed to enjoy himself...Kickass time..Small town sing along was great also....Will not be able to get to sleep tonight..Thanks EV
    2006-06-01-East Rutherford
    2008-06-19-Camden
    2008-06-25-MSG 2
    EV
    2008-08-07-Newark

"We're running out of beer too?" EV 6-19-08
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    UNBELIEVABLE!!! What a great show! Thank EV.. Hope you get some sleep tonight!!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    Where to start...

story behind Ledbetter...

Ed saying that he should be home working on a new album but then says, its the middle of summer do you really think that we are going into the studio??

Him screwing up in Ed fashion

The venue itself was absolutey stunning(first time I ever got a ticket to go to the bathroom).

I got a poster, program and sticker(with buttons) in 2 seconds

The setlist was kickass..

Eddie falling backwards into the crowd during Hard Sun

All I know is I will have to get a copy of this show on boot somehow. Thank you Eddie for a great time and some more memories.
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    that was just awesome. from the moment he walked out and got a huge ovation, until the moment it ended was just so cool. AWESOME!
  • Options
    he was in better spirits tonite imo, much more talkative. i dunno if it is the venue but i liked the crowd much better then new york crowd. much more into it, ed had to sit us down at the beginning.

throw your arms around me & don't be shy sounded great. yellow ledbetter story was beautiful and i thought eddie choked while telling the story. it must have been very emotional for him and thanks for the question whoever you are!

he also said if asked again, he'll say his favorite venue is in newark, new jersey! i thought that was funny.

thanks ed for such an intimate atmosphere. oh, he also confessed that he didn't want to be in the studio recording in the middle of August hence the tour! that means they are going into studio after the tour, sweet!
  • Options
    Mr. BeeksMr. Beeks Posts: 103
    What a great show. 4th row dead center. Best seats I've ever had. Thank you 10C!

Girl behind me in 5th row caught a pic. I saw it fly past me in slow motion like a foul ball at Yankee Stadium.

Let My Love Open the Door is so good live, back and forth guys one verse, girls the other, Ed doing his super bass voice for the guys. Hilarious.

Rise and the other ITW songs are beautiful live. Sometimes was so nice to hear as was Soon Forget. Funny when you listen to these songs for years and there he is playing it for us ten feet away. First time to hear them live for me anyway.

Just unfucking believable. NJPAC is one of the most beautiful theaters I've ever been too. Can't wait to go back there for another show, the acoustics are off the charts.

LUKIN!!!
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    this show was fucking incredible. one of the great concert experiences ive ever had.
  • Options
    Lukin562Lukin562 Posts: 23
    Oh man where to begin. Song requests, standing small town mid show, throw your arms, meaning of led better, 7th row, best setlist for ed to date hands down!
    A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw
    Delivered him wings, 'Hey, look at me now'
    Arms wide open with the sea as his floor

PJ:
    6/3/06 East Rutherford
    6/24/08 MSG I
    6/25/08 MSG II
    6/30/08 Boston
    EV:
    8/4-NYC
    8/5-NYC
    8/7-Newark
  • Options
    SuzieMSuzieM Posts: 113
    Wow, I haven't even begun to process tonight. It was just sick. So many unforgettable moments.
  • Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    You probably should not be talking about that outloud here.

meaning official boot... thats all
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    Thank You 10c for the awesome seats! I was Dead line center in ed's eyes

The best part of the night was Ed was choked up telling the story of Ledbetter.

Awesome night "throw your arms", the new song, Lukin, small town, dead man walking. To many awesome moments
    Tour with fucking NOFX
  • Options
    FrankieJFrankieJ Posts: 602
    Great show. Setlist, crowd, everything.

The new song was a decent length.

Ed talked alot.

He had a Q/A section when he was tired to kind of catch his breath before Guaranteed.

He said he was happy that he got his first bad review of his solo career.
    Ed said the review said ha was righteous and brooding.
    He did this with his ukulele in his hand, so he started talking like he was cool saying he has a "bada$$ motherf*ckin ukulele" :)

He was also asked a question from someone in the audience about the lyrics of YL.
    He first responded by saying that it doesn't have any words. But then he told us the story that someone already explained pretty well.

No Springsteen, Harper or Johnson. Just Liam.

Ed also mentioned that this was one of his most favorite show.
    And now, when someone asks, "where is ur most favorite place to play", Ed can say, "Newark NJ."

I'm so glad I went. Just a great night.
    GO GIANTS
    GO DEVILS
    7/14/03-PNC NJ ~ 6/1/06-CAA1 NJ ~ 6/3/06-CAA2 NJ ~ 8/5/07-Lolla IL ~ 6/24/08-MSG1 ~ 6/25/08-MSG2 ~ 8/7/08-NJPAC (eV Solo)

"I'm feeling kinda righteous right now...with my Bad@$$-M0therf*ck!n'-Ukulele!"
    -eV 8/7
  • Options
    VIGVIG Posts: 18
    i'm too tired to post much now but he also mocked the ny times article (the bad review). it was pretty funny. AMAZING show. ARC was insane.
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    Is there any more word about the new song...was it one of those venue specific kind of songs he has been doing, or was it an actual new song? What was it played on, etc. Thanks.
  • Options
    simkin7074simkin7074 Posts: 249
    Just got home and still have to process the whole event, but THANK YOU 10C for the amazing seats and thank you to Eddie for the amazing show. Put both nights in NYC to shame!
  • Options
    i have a question..i've heard that the mole in the audience yells out "Who are you voting for?" and EV goes into the political spiel..Do you think the Ledbetter guy was a mole to get eddie to talk about war/sad story. Dont get me wrong the story was great but it seemed a little stage to me and question seemed set up..let me know if anyone feels that way
    2006-06-01-East Rutherford
    2008-06-19-Camden
    2008-06-25-MSG 2
    EV
    2008-08-07-Newark

"We're running out of beer too?" EV 6-19-08
  • Options
    just returned home from the amazing show -

the new song was written about 5am this morning - Eddie said it's like a pair of pants that still needs to be tailored - it was/is a good song for sure.

just want to correct the member who said the harmonica smacked Ed in the face, - he actually put his lips on the microphone by accident - and was taken aback by the effect it had on him - said he's only done it once before -