Options

CAKE

Comments

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,007
    Like, how bout this LF, you asked in another thread about where to begin with the Decemberists...there's a pretty cut-and-dry answer to that question. The same logic doesn't apply for CAKE. It's all good. They are all accessible alternative rock tunes that are easy and fun to jump into.
    I agree 100% - Cake has not put out a bad album at all. I celebrate their entire catalog
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    Listened to it again, liking it more. Some songs I like off their latest album are Mustache Man, Easy To Crash, Italian Guy, Federal Funding.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Great quote on the website today:

"We still exist probably because we've always stayed outside of current trends, watched them inflate and deflate. We've never been invited to the party, so we've never had to leave the party when the police arrived. It's a sad and beautiful world." - John McCrea
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,289
    fashion nugget was one of my favorite albums of the 90's...is the new album any good? (perhaps i should read this thread :lol: )
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    KH71368KH71368 Florida Posts: 65
    Just saw Cake in Boca Raton, Florida as part of their Evening with Cake Tour. It was fantastic, small crowd, sounded great, played a good mix of new and old. They played Sheep go to Heaven, Short Skirt Long Jacket and Going the Distance. The new album is pretty good, but I guess you can say all there albums sound the same since the lead singer has such a monotone. Their sound reminds me of Beck with a touch of Flaming Lips.
  • Options
    KH71368 wrote:
    Just saw Cake in Boca Raton, Florida as part of their Evening with Cake Tour. It was fantastic, small crowd, sounded great, played a good mix of new and old. They played Sheep go to Heaven, Short Skirt Long Jacket and Going the Distance. The new album is pretty good, but I guess you can say all there albums sound the same since the lead singer has such a monotone. Their sound reminds me of Beck with a touch of Flaming Lips.
    That's great! Glad you had fun at the circus. Hmm, Beck with a touch of Flaming Lips? Interesting. Never made that connection. I dig it. I'd like to add a dash of alt-country early Wilco with a splash of Beastie Boys rhyme-time.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    just getting back into cake after many years

what a FUCKIN FUN BAND :mrgreen:

checking out the newest album now
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    KH71368 wrote:

I was there!!!!
    Great show!!!!

and your observation about beck/flaming lips is so true....
  • Options
    KH71368KH71368 Florida Posts: 65
    GoGators wrote:
    I was there!!!!
    Great show!!!!

Small world I am also a Gator. I'm excited about Muschamp. Go Gators!!!
  • Options
    I love how well the new album blends with the others.

Federal Funding, Racecar YaYas, Teenage Pregnancy, Up So Close, Perhaps x3, Take it all Away, Sad Songs & Waltzes, Ruby Dont take Your Love to Town, Mahna Mahna, Whats Now is Now, She'll Hang the Baskets(great underrated song), Mustache Man Wasted, Conroy, You Part the Waters, Daria, ShortSkirt/LongJacket, Nugget

That's today's mix.

I have also realized that there's a distinct absence of "Ok", "Alright", "Oh no", "Ho" and "Oh yeah" from John McCrea on the new album. That's my favorite part of these songs! You guys know what I'm talking about, right?
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I love how well the new album blends with the others.

Federal Funding, Racecar YaYas, Teenage Pregnancy, Up So Close, Perhaps x3, Take it all Away, Sad Songs & Waltzes, Ruby Dont take Your Love to Town, Mahna Mahna, Whats Now is Now, She'll Hang the Baskets(great underrated song), Mustache Man Wasted, Conroy, You Part the Waters, Daria, ShortSkirt/LongJacket, Nugget

That's today's mix.

I have also realized that there's a distinct absence of "Ok", "Alright", "Oh no", "Ho" and "Oh yeah" from John McCrea on the new album. That's my favorite part of these songs! You guys know what I'm talking about, right?
    Oh man I love those!!! Always felt like a live tune because of it... I can not believe I still have not gotten the album... :shock:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    edited February 2017
    Anyone notice on Love You madly the beginning sound like a Zeppelin song.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uwjsG0cRf0
    Might go to one of the shows at the Keswick.
    Post edited by eeriepadave on
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    how do you feel about their new album? i guess what i'm saying is rate the albums from 1st to last. favorite, least favorite.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Fashion Nugget is my fav, don't mind the new one though, think it's pretty good! Does anyone know if they ever came to Australia?? Or ever coming??
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    Loulou wrote:
    Does anyone know if they ever came to Australia?? Or ever coming??
    According to setlist.fm they played a festival in Brisbane in 1997. Not sure if they've ever gone back since. They really should do an Aussie tour after promoting Showroom of Compassion in the US.

Question for you guys:

Better instrumental: Teenage Pregnancy from the new album OR Conroy from B-sides and Rarities

Both are complex and rich in my opinion, but the nod goes to TP.
  • Options
    KH71368 wrote:
    GoGators wrote:
    I was there!!!!
    Great show!!!!

Small world I am also a Gator. I'm excited about Muschamp. Go Gators!!!

Nice!!! I saw a couple of Gator hoodies at the show

Muschamp is great.......defense wins championships !!!

GO GATORS
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Finally got it!!!

Been through once and I have to say it's so nice to have some new Cake to listen too... Really love Long Time, Italian Guy the first time through and FF Teenage Pregnancy really is AMAZING and interesting... I'll have to give it a few more goes to give an opinion on your question.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Yeah I agree TP is just a smidgen better but i like both. 1997!!!! Wow, I would have been 13!! I think I remember them playing on an Aussie show called Recovery now I think about it. That would have been good to see but I was into harder stuff when I was that age, thanks to a metal head older brother. :lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    KH71368 wrote:

Awesome show, I was there too. He talks a lot, but it was kinda fun (except that tree thing took waaay too long!)

Gator here too! :D
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    http://www.jambase.com/Articles/26258/Cake-on-Guitar-Center-Sessions

For those of you with a 3D TV. This looks really cool actually.
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    WATCH CAKE TONIGHT ON LENO!

(John McCrea voice) OK. ALRIGHT. OH NO. OH YEAH.
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I shall be seeing Cake for the first time tonight :mrgreen:
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    chime wrote:
    I shall be seeing Cake for the first time tonight :mrgreen:
    Hope you have a great time! They really are such a fun band. Enjoy! Let us know your experience.
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    I just scored tickets to see CAKE in Zurich on July 5th, so pumped! :mrgreen:
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    MS23098MS23098 Posts: 102
    Great band and great live but they dont mix up their sets. I just saw them two consecutive nights and the second night was almost identical to the first only two different songs, also the stage banter was exactly word for word the same. So unless you want to pay for the same show multiple times dont see them more than once on a tour
  • Options
    MS23098 wrote:
    Great band and great live but they dont mix up their sets. I just saw them two consecutive nights and the second night was almost identical to the first only two different songs, also the stage banter was exactly word for word the same. So unless you want to pay for the same show multiple times dont see them more than once on a tour
    Agreed. HOWEVER, I've seen them 3 times in the last 3 years and the setlists varied considerably. And as for the stage banter, I think it all depends because I saw them in a park in Lowell last year during a torrential rain and lightning storm and they were talking about all kinds of different stuff I'd never heard in all my years of seeing these guys. That show was memorable to say the least. They dedicated it to the guy who was electrocuted onstage at Woodstock.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,289
    my manager saw them last night at the keswick and won't shut up about how good they were.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    MS23098MS23098 Posts: 102
    yeah before this most recent two night stand i had saw them three other times and got three completely different shows which was why i thought it would be a good idea to see them two shows in a row when the opportunity presented itself. And not to take away from the performance which was excellent both nights, the variety was just very dissapointing.it was just a total bummer to see the same show twice and i want to give people a heads up in case they were thinking about going more than once on the same tour like i did
  • Options
    CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    Going tonight, and the reviews from last night's show were amazing. An Evening w/ Cake! I can hardly wait for my 3 hrs of fun!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    they're on letterman's podcast tonight i think.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*