Options

The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    edited September 2017
    When have I ever said any of these players were great?  This all started by simply saying the Yankees have had a few decent catchers which makes Sanchez breaking these marks in his first full season all the more impressive.  Now you're arguing over semantics of the word "average"
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    When have I ever said any of these players were great?  This all started by simply saying the Yankees have had a few decent catchers which makes Sanchez breaking these marks in his first full season all the more impressive.  Now you're arguing over semantics of the word "average"
    You asked "Come again?!?!?  So there are two types of players? Average at best and hall of famers?"  So I answered.  Also the list of players with the term 'Average at best' made it look like you thought they were Great players...

You also stated that the yanks had some pretty good catchers where I disagree.  They had 1.  Yogi Berra.

But hey.  I enjoy the conversation.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,404
    How can you forget Matt Nokes
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    You asked "Come again?!?!?  So there are two types of players? Average at best and hall of famers?"  So I answered.  Also the list of players with the term 'Average at best' made it look like you thought they were Great players...

You also stated that the yanks had some pretty good catchers where I disagree.  They had 1.  Yogi Berra.

Considering they have 2 hall of fame catchers, that is a pretty tough and stupid argument to make, but hey, I enjoyed the conversation too.
  • Options
    The Yankees had a hall of fame catcher behind the plate for 33 straight years (excluding the war) and have also had 3 good catchers in Howard, Munson and Posada, so yeah...
  • Options
    From 1928-1979 the Yankees largely had one of Dickey, Berra, Howard and Munson behind the plate. 50 years...

• Options

Considering they have 2 hall of fame catchers, that is a pretty tough and stupid argument to make, but hey, I enjoyed the conversation too.
    I forgot about Bill Dickey.  I'm pretty sure you did too...
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I forgot about Bill Dickey.  I'm pretty sure you did too...
    Pretty sure I did too, but it made my my point all the better. :blush:
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Do you disagree that for 50 straight years, the Yankees had an above average catcher?  If you don't then my original point that the yankees have had some pretty decent catchers stands
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    Mike Stanley
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Mike Stanley
    He did have a pretty solid few years for the yanks.
  • Options
    Do you disagree that for 50 straight years, the Yankees had an above average catcher?  If you don't then my original point that the yankees have had some pretty decent catchers stands
    Absolutely agree.  I'll concede to "decent" catchers...

As for Sanchez, out of all the prospects he will/should be the star of them all.  The Baby Bombers will be fun to watch.  There's Justus Sheffield in the pipes, Bird still can blossom, Gleyber is back from injuries, Severino is becoming an ace.  I love Severino BTW.

So the Yanks looked stacked.  If these guys start to gel and include Frazier in the mix, this team is going to be around the playoffs for a while.

Oh and if Batances can get his head on straight that's another good looking youngster.
  • Options
    Absolutely agree.  I'll concede to "decent" catchers...

As for Sanchez, out of all the prospects he will/should be the star of them all.  The Baby Bombers will be fun to watch.  There's Justus Sheffield in the pipes, Bird still can blossom, Gleyber is back from injuries, Severino is becoming an ace.  I love Severino BTW.

So the Yanks looked stacked.  If these guys start to gel and include Frazier in the mix, this team is going to be around the playoffs for a while.

Oh and if Batances can get his head on straight that's another good looking youngster.
    Ha. Fair enough.

I hope so, man. The kid has some serious pop and confidence in general.  He's gotta get the passed balls squared away, but he's got a cannon of an arm and a beast of a bat.  I am starting to lose hope on Bird, but at least one of these prospects needs to be a bust.  Torres is going to be really good.  Severino is an ace this year, I hope he keeps it going next and beyond.  Frazier, Sheffield, Miguel Andju...(whatever his name is). 

Plus, the biggest thing with this team is that they are going to likely get under the luxury tax.  That is an insanely underrated story.  No longer are they paying an extra 50 cents on the dollar of every contract.  They are going to be loaded to fill in the pieces.

I have zero doubt that the core of this team is going to win at least 1 world series.  That confident.

• Options
    Ace
  • Options
    Need betances down the stretch. Chapman is nails.

Playing some good ball at the right time 
  • Options
    Not going to make it up for the rest of this game. Long one so far. But go yanks
  • Options
    Nice win.  Still can't make up ground on Boston, but playing well at the right time.

Not sure I would start Severino today and give them a look at him now and in less than 2 weeks...
  • Options
    25 straight seasons with a winning record too.  That is insane.
  • Options
    You watched on ESPN?  I heard them mention that.  92 was the last losing year.  Crazy right?
  • Options
    You watched on ESPN?  I heard them mention that.  92 was the last losing year.  Crazy right?
    I was watching YES but I saw it on twitter or something after they won 82. Definitely crazy. 
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Not a fan of having Severino start today.  They're getting a pretty good look at him today, though next time he'll be able to put people away.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Judge and Sanchez back to back home runs makes it move a little.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    77 home runs between the 2 and one missed a month and the other disappeared for 2
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Now Severino is done for the day.  Such a stupid start.  So they get a look at him and that's it.  So dumb.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    77 home runs between the 2 and one missed a month and the other disappeared for 2
    Crazy. 
  • Options
    Didi also most hr by a Yankee shortstop
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Fuck, I caught the piece just as some of the players were looking like they were going to cry/barf over the spectator hit.  They didnt show what happened -- was it a kid that got hit or something?
    As much as it is a pain in the ass to have the screens up at Philly this season, it is much easier to sit by the dugout with my easily distracted 12 year old.  I was always on super watch and insisted I sit in-between him and the batter.  Now I can look at my phone/around the stadium & chill.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Unfortunately it takes something like this for something to happen. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Fuck, I caught the piece just as some of the players were looking like they were going to cry/barf over the spectator hit.  They didnt show what happened -- was it a kid that got hit or something?
    As much as it is a pain in the ass to have the screens up at Philly this season, it is much easier to sit by the dugout with my easily distracted 12 year old.  I was always on super watch and insisted I sit in-between him and the batter.  Now I can look at my phone/around the stadium & chill.
    Yeah, that looked bad.  It looked like Holliday was crying.  They showed a 2 second glimpse and it looked like a very small kid that they were carrying out, but I am not 100% sure just how young.  Was definitely a kid.

Put the friggen nets up.