Options

Any Sci-Fi fans???

Comments

• Options
    Who is the sexiest girl ever to appear as a full time cast member on Star Trek?

A) Nichelle Nicols (Uhuru, TOS)
    B) Jerri Ryan (7 of 9, Voyager)
    C) Jolene Blalock (Tupaul, Enterprise)
    D) Other
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    merkinball wrote:
    arq wrote:
    that's so awesome! I only travel to see PJ :( not too
    much money to go to comic con, are you going for any specific show or movie or comic?

I usually hit:

Anything Neil Gaiman related (he was there with Henry Selick for the Coraline DVD release)
    Anything Fables related (great comic), and there are usually 2-3 different things fables related.

Otherwise, it's either whatever my kids want to see (Cartoon Network/Nick programming) or the big movie previews. The year they showed the first Iron Man footage was awesome. The last year or two its gotten a lot harder, as people tend to camp out for their favorite shows/movies. For example we wanted to see Mythbusters this year, but even though my daughter and I lined up 2 hours early, we still couldn't get in the room to see their panel. For Comic-Con, you've got to have the expectation you aren't going to see everything you'd like, so I can see where smaller scale conventions (San Diego Comic Con gets 125k attendees) like Dragon Con would be less stressful.

Dragon Con was a great time this year. I only went on Saturday, but we got a hotel room down there and stay late for all the parties etc. The panels and all are very cool, but just meeting people and hanging out is the most fun for me.

I did see Adam Savage (from Mythbusters) in a panel and he is REALLY cool. That was easily my fav panel.He had a contest he was walking around in costume and people were supposed to guess who he was. He was dressed as chewy :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    intodeep wrote:
    Dragon Con was a great time this year. I only went on Saturday, but we got a hotel room down there and stay late for all the parties etc. The panels and all are very cool, but just meeting people and hanging out is the most fun for me.

I did see Adam Savage (from Mythbusters) in a panel and he is REALLY cool. That was easily my fav panel.He had a contest he was walking around in costume and people were supposed to guess who he was. He was dressed as chewy :D

He did a similar thing (in costume on the floor) at comic con and sent a bunch of hints via twitter. Never found him, but had a good time trying to track him down (we dressed as one of the Joker's henchmen). Agree, the most fun at these events is people watching/meeting people with similar interests.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,940
    What a bunch of nerds! :lol:

How fun!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options

D) Other

Jolene Blalock. Hottest Vulcan ever!.
    7 of 9 is a close second though.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    I'm a sci-fi / fantasy nut - more sci-fi than fantasy really but i do love me some George R.R. Martin...

Favorite sci-fi author is Philip K. Dick, over the last 5 years or so I have been slowly wading my way through his works...

I'm going to toss in a recommendation... I just read a book called Vurt over the summer by a dude named Jeff Noon... it was simply fantastic... It's very much in the vein of PKD's writing.

If anyone here is a fan of comics / graphic novels and want to check out a great series pick up Y: The Last Man, you can probably get them from your local library if you don't feel like ordering them.
  • Options
    Starting season's 4.0 and then 4.5 of Batlestar Galactica soon. I've enjoyed it so far but it seems to be slipping a little going into this last season. we'll see how it ends
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

He did a similar thing (in costume on the floor) at comic con and sent a bunch of hints via twitter. Never found him, but had a good time trying to track him down (we dressed as one of the Joker's henchmen). Agree, the most fun at these events is people watching/meeting people with similar interests.

Adam was No Face (from Spirited Away) this year at comic con. Didn't see him on the floor, but caught the mythbusters panel again.

http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/ ... 0-minutes/
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• Options
    merkinball wrote:
    merkinball wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

Adam was No Face (from Spirited Away) this year at comic con. Didn't see him on the floor, but caught the mythbusters panel again.

http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/ ... 0-minutes/
    Very cool!
    He won't be at this year's DragonCON :( Unless he is a late add

Spock and Capt Kirk will be there though. I was never a big star trek fan but i look forward to hearing them talk.
    Carrie Fisher and Adam Baldwin will be there too
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I'm an Authority on SciFi. :ugeek:
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I like all the Back to the Future movies, Star Wars(original 3) and stuff like Minority Report.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    Starting season's 4.0 and then 4.5 of Batlestar Galactica soon. I've enjoyed it so far but it seems to be slipping a little going into this last season. we'll see how it ends

battlestar gallactica = :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    Cool list of best Sci Fi & Fantasy series as voted on by NPR listeners:

1. The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, by J.R.R. Tolkien

2. The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, by Douglas Adams

3. Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card

4. The Dune Chronicles, by Frank Herbert

5. A Song Of Ice And Fire Series, by George R. R. Martin

6. 1984, by George Orwell

7. Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury

8. The Foundation Trilogy, by Isaac Asimov

9. Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley

10. American Gods, by Neil Gaiman

11. The Princess Bride, by William Goldman

12. The Wheel Of Time Series, by Robert Jordan

13. Animal Farm, by George Orwell

14. Neuromancer, by William Gibson

15. Watchmen, by Alan Moore

16. I, Robot, by Isaac Asimov

17. Stranger In A Strange Land, by Robert Heinlein

18. The Kingkiller Chronicles, by Patrick Rothfuss

19. Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut

20. Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley

21. Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?, by Philip K. Dick

22. The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood

23. The Dark Tower Series, by Stephen King

24. 2001: A Space Odyssey, by Arthur C. Clarke

25. The Stand, by Stephen King

26. Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson

27. The Martian Chronicles, by Ray Bradbury

28. Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut

29. The Sandman Series, by Neil Gaiman

30. A Clockwork Orange, by Anthony Burgess

31. Starship Troopers, by Robert Heinlein

32. Watership Down, by Richard Adams

33. Dragonflight, by Anne McCaffrey

34. The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, by Robert Heinlein

35. A Canticle For Leibowitz, by Walter M. Miller

36. The Time Machine, by H.G. Wells

37. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, by Jules Verne

38. Flowers For Algernon, by Daniel Keys

39. The War Of The Worlds, by H.G. Wells

40. The Chronicles Of Amber, by Roger Zelazny

41. The Belgariad, by David Eddings

42. The Mists Of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley

43. The Mistborn Series, by Brandon Sanderson

44. Ringworld, by Larry Niven

45. The Left Hand Of Darkness, by Ursula K. LeGuin

46. The Silmarillion, by J.R.R. Tolkien

47. The Once And Future King, by T.H. White

48. Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman

49. Childhood's End, by Arthur C. Clarke

50. Contact, by Carl Sagan

51. The Hyperion Cantos, by Dan Simmons

52. Stardust, by Neil Gaiman

53. Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson

54. World War Z, by Max Brooks

55. The Last Unicorn, by Peter S. Beagle

56. The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman

57. Small Gods, by Terry Pratchett

58. The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever, by Stephen R. Donaldson

59. The Vorkosigan Saga, by Lois McMaster Bujold

60. Going Postal, by Terry Pratchett

61. The Mote In God's Eye, by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle

62. The Sword Of Truth, by Terry Goodkind

63. The Road, by Cormac McCarthy

64. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, by Susanna Clarke

65. I Am Legend, by Richard Matheson

66. The Riftwar Saga, by Raymond E. Feist

67. The Shannara Trilogy, by Terry Brooks

68. The Conan The Barbarian Series, by R.E. Howard

69. The Farseer Trilogy, by Robin Hobb

70. The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger

71. The Way Of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson

72. A Journey To The Center Of The Earth, by Jules Verne

73. The Legend Of Drizzt Series, by R.A. Salvatore

74. Old Man's War, by John Scalzi

75. The Diamond Age, by Neil Stephenson

76. Rendezvous With Rama, by Arthur C. Clarke

77. The Kushiel's Legacy Series, by Jacqueline Carey

78. The Dispossessed, by Ursula K. LeGuin

79. Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Ray Bradbury

80. Wicked, by Gregory Maguire

81. The Malazan Book Of The Fallen Series, by Steven Erikson

82. The Eyre Affair, by Jasper Fforde

83. The Culture Series, by Iain M. Banks

84. The Crystal Cave, by Mary Stewart

85. Anathem, by Neal Stephenson

86. The Codex Alera Series, by Jim Butcher

87. The Book Of The New Sun, by Gene Wolfe

88. The Thrawn Trilogy, by Timothy Zahn

89. The Outlander Series, by Diana Gabaldan

90. The Elric Saga, by Michael Moorcock

91. The Illustrated Man, by Ray Bradbury

92. Sunshine, by Robin McKinley

93. A Fire Upon The Deep, by Vernor Vinge

94. The Caves Of Steel, by Isaac Asimov

95. The Mars Trilogy, by Kim Stanley Robinson

96. Lucifer's Hammer, by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle

97. Doomsday Book, by Connie Willis

98. Perdido Street Station, by China Mieville

99. The Xanth Series, by Piers Anthony

100. The Space Trilogy, by C.S. Lewis
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    not a full on SyFy geek-but I love Haven and I'm sad that Farscape got canned.

:wave: hello sci-fi loving mod...I just know you wanna join in! ;)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    PJ88PJ88 Birthplace of the Toll House Cookie Posts: 1,074
    I absolutely love the X-Files. The plots and storylines were excellent. I thought Fringe was going to follow the X-Files in greatness, but sadly, the show has gone downhill for me and I just stopped watching it. I couldn't stand the episodes that would focus on the alternate universe. They were really hard to watch.
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

<big-ass list>

Surprised to see that I've read all 10 of the top 10. And quite a few of the remaining, probably 50%. Good variety on that list, from Watchmen to Watership Down. One thing I found odd was there there were a few series (Song of Fire & Ice, Hitchikers), but Terry Pratchett's Discworld was listed as a few individual books, when the whole series was solid.

TV wise, I'm just getting into Dr. Who. Quite a bit of it available on Netflix.

• Options
    merkinball wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

<big-ass list>

Surprised to see that I've read all 10 of the top 10. And quite a few of the remaining, probably 50%. Good variety on that list, from Watchmen to Watership Down. One thing I found odd was there there were a few series (Song of Fire & Ice, Hitchikers), but Terry Pratchett's Discworld was listed as a few individual books, when the whole series was solid.

I've read 6 of the top ten BUT I did actually order the foundation trilogy and dune 3 days ago so in a few months i'll be on 8 :)

I've heard Dr Who is good but i have nto gotten into it. What is it like?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:

Have you watched Stargate?
    I was thinking about Stargate or Farscape as my next series to watch i was gonna ask how they compare if you've seen both.

Also which mod here likes sci fi? :?:
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    PJ88 wrote:
    I absolutely love the X-Files. The plots and storylines were excellent. I thought Fringe was going to follow the X-Files in greatness, but sadly, the show has gone downhill for me and I just stopped watching it. I couldn't stand the episodes that would focus on the alternate universe. They were really hard to watch.
    My roomate watched this. I never really gave it a shot. He seemed to think a lot olie you taht it started strong and has really dropped off
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    merkinball wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

<big-ass list>

I've read 6 of the top ten BUT I did actually order the foundation trilogy and dune 3 days ago so in a few months i'll be on 8 :)

I've heard Dr Who is good but i have nto gotten into it. What is it like?

Foundation trilogy is excellent (as is most Asimov, especially the robots books). Asimov added to it later in his life with a few prequels and sequels. I started w/ the trilogy when I was a kid, but I think it would be interesting to read in sequence. The later prequels first, then the trilogy, then the sequels.

Dune I remember liking the first books a lot, but then dropped off. It's been years though, I should probably revisit them.

Dr. Who was a british sci-fi show in the 60's/70's(?)that got rebooted in the mid 2000s. I've got through maybe 10 of the first episodes from the 2000's, and it revolves around The Doctor, a time traveler who helps out people in different times/places. Gives them a lot of leeway around the variety of episodes they can have (mystery, drama, etc.), and it has really strong writing. Had a HUGE presence at Comic Con (the panel filled a 6500 person room), so I figured I should probably give it a chance.

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    intodeep wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Have you watched Stargate?
    I was thinking about Stargate or Farscape as my next series to watch i was gonna ask how they compare if you've seen both.

Also which mod here likes sci fi? :?:

I could not get into Stargate...like the first SG movie, but not the second one. I would go with Farscape. They got cancelled because costuming/special effects was getting out of hand (budget wise).

Apparently BSG is supposed to be cool too....and yes, I enjoyed the SciFi section at EMP-even though I am not a huge SciFi geek.

I won't call out the mod, if she wants to announce herself, she is welcome to... :D (you have a 50/50 chance of being right)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Merkinball, hang in there with the Doctor, once David Tennent takes over it's outstanding!!!
  • Options
    Merkinball, hang in there with the Doctor, once David Tennent takes over it's outstanding!!!

Cool. Although Eccleston is pretty good. The Doctor Dances was a spectacular bit of TV.

• Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    intodeep wrote:
    It did slip a little for season 4, but the series finally more than makes up for it.

Best TV series EVER. Better than Lost and I am a Lost who's seen the series multiple times.
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    arq wrote:
    Anyone ever read The Ender series by Orson Scott Card. I stumbled on them last year on my holiday to the USA, and thought it was great. I read the 1st two books but Haven't been able to find the rest of them back here.
    I haven't read the books, but I just read an article about Orson Scott Card today. Apparently, he's a batshit crazy homophobe. Which is disappointing, because I hear he's a damn good writer.

i read a few of his essays a couple of years back and they totally killed it for me. i can't read anything by him that i haven't previously read (ie, the entire ender/bean saga). it's sad really, he's a talented author, but i can't support his narrow ignorance.
  • Options

D) Other

it's a toughie, but i'll go with t'pol.
  • Options
    j-bug wrote:
    i'm watching Babylon 5.still as good as when i was a kid!

best show ever!
    jms is a writing god! i can watch this series anytime, though season one is a little cheesy at times.
  • Options
    Scott or not, i think an Alien prequel is a horrible idea.

don't worry, it was originally planned as being a prequel, now it's a non-related standalone flick, the people spoke and someone must've been listening.
  • Options
    now time for a non-reply post:

what do you guys think of duncan jones' movies (whistle, moon, source code)? i think he's the best up-and-coming sci-fi director/writer around.

whistle had a unique premise, though i wish it had been fleshed out into full motion picture.
    though slow-paced, i feel that moon is among the best sci-fi mindbenders out there.
    and source code was a beauty, and a perfect first-big-budget flick from the young dude.

i'm glad i didn't realize he was bowie's son til after i became a fan (post-moon). if i had known prior, my bowie-bias would have destroyed the validity of this post.
  • Options
    now time for a non-reply post:

what do you guys think of duncan jones' movies (whistle, moon, source code)? i think he's the best up-and-coming sci-fi director/writer around.

whistle had a unique premise, though i wish it had been fleshed out into full motion picture.
    though slow-paced, i feel that moon is among the best sci-fi mindbenders out there.
    and source code was a beauty, and a perfect first-big-budget flick from the young dude.

i'm glad i didn't realize he was bowie's son til after i became a fan (post-moon). if i had known prior, my bowie-bias would have destroyed the validity of this post.

Love This, Spot On, but i got nothing against Bowie, Love him too. Really excited to see what he and Neil Blompank, is that his name? have in store for us. Hopefully two masters in the making.